Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I currently have a Lansky knife sharpener and it works good but I would like to upgrade. Would like something non-electric with good/secure angle adjustment and lots of stone options. Any ideas?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am currently in the market for a knife sharpening system, also. Just wanting something simple & easy, but I want it to get the job done. I have zero experience with it, but the Gatco sharpeners might be what you're looking for.

I'm considering a Smith 8" Diamond Tri-Hone that includes a medium grit Arkansas stone & then I might get me a nice leather strop for putting the finishing touches on my blades. Not sure though, if this is the route I'll take. I'm going to continue to do the research.

Good luck & let us know what you end up deciding. smile

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I have a friend with a Gatco its basically a chocolate covered Lansky.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want to spend more ... the Wicked Edge Precision sharpening system might be your answer. It will cost you, though! grin

T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
That wicket edge looks nice is there anything else
similar to it?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think there is one called the Edge Pro ... or something like that.

I have been doing lots of research on the Internet for sharpening systems, as of lately. If I were to decide to invest the money, I really feel that the Wicked Edge system would be hard to beat! It looks to be very well thought out & they have already introduced a 2nd generation that takes care of any small problems that was encountered with the original version. I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend on a sharpening system! Rather than buying several cheap gimmicks, maybe the ol' saying "buy once~cry once" comes into play.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Spyderco sharpmaker?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Get an edge pro apex, the rest are crude compared to it.

Go check out the YouTube videos on it

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Get an edge pro apex, the rest are crude compared to it.

Go check out the YouTube videos on it

I agree with this...I own an Edge Pro Professional, but the Apex would be perfect for home use, or when traveling or whatever, much easier to get around than the professional, same level of adjustment. You can buy a miriad of stones for it as well, even Japanese stones, although, I don't see the need for them, at least yet.

Larry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am happy with my Edge Pro.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B3

T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
So would you say the edge pro is better than the Wicked edge?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tcb22

... and this is exactly what I'm wondering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm happy with the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
T
tcb22 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Journeyman, in your opinion why is it better? I'm thinkin if I want something good and nice I'll only buy once.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I prefer the edge pro to anything else I have ever tried with the exception of a blade design that needs a round rod for proper sharpening. The only weak point to the edge pro (actually any stone based system) is to keep an eye on the stones to make sure they do not develop a belly or wear excessively. It is very prominent with 120 and 220 stones, much less of a problem with the 320 and not a problem at all with the 600 stones.

Essentially with the EP the entire premise of simplicity and precision is based on having level stones. If the stone has a concave edge the center of the stone might be cutting a 20 deg angle while the end portions might be cutting a slightly different angle, reducing the consistency you are shooting for. For me this is only an issue on the primary edge and when I set a secondary edge with a smoother stone the problem disappears completely. I am getting away from using the rough stones and am now using emery paper on the blank plate that is usually reserved for the polishing tapes. Im sitting in an airport but will try to take some photos tomorrow and get them posted. A picture is truly worth 1000 of my convoluted words when running on no sleep.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Hell yes

Last edited by Spotshooter; 11/12/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use the Edge Pro Apex III system for general sharpening and a Spyderco Sharpmaker for quick touch ups.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Wicked Edge system looks to me like it would be less chance of operator error when getting the right angle/edge on a knife. The knife is clamped down and can't move whatsoever. This allows the person to focus on one thing, which is dragging the stones across the blade. Also, the Wicked Edge looks like you could use small circular motions much easier which some claim is the best way to put a sharp edge on a blade.

The Edge Pro looks like you might have to spend a little time getting use to moving the blade back & forth in order to sharpen it along it's entire length. Also, keep in mind that you must concentrate on holding the blade perfectly flat across the top of the machine; all while trying to slide the abrasives across your blades. Seems a tad bit more complicated to operate.

Also, it is my opinion that there is no chance of scratching or scuffing your blades in the Wicked Edge system. If you go to the Edge Pro site & watch the video demonstrations they tell you to tape your blades. So there is no doubt that scratching your blades with the Edge Pro is a concern.

I say all this with 0% experience with either system! grin All I can say is that from what I've researched of the two systems, a person couldn't go wrong with either of them. If I was to do it, I'd probably go with the Wicked Edge.

Good day.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I started watching the videos lastnight after reading this post. I agree with everything said above. I'm sure the edge pro is awsome but kinda reminds me of rub ur belly and pat ur head thing. Just take practise I'm sure?

The video of the wicked edge showed a fella just working each side seperate. Again with practise I'm sure you could learn to run both sides at the same time?

Will add I've not been able to try either of the above units. I use sticks and a gatco deal. Thoug the gatco would be the end all be all. I do make it all work and get a nice edge. That said I am always curious about a better way to do something..?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 69 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.