Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've often been careful not to urinate where I'm huntin but I've also heard peein in a scrape will drive a buck nuts...not scare him off. Any hunters here pee in scrapes to get a buck's attention??? What say you??

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Had a cameras on several good scrapes this last season, and got pictures of both bucks and doe urinating there.
I would occasionally use a little Tinks 69 in the scrapes to see if it would pick up activity any. Sometimes it did a little, and sometimes not at all.
After reading about folks peeing in scrapes, I thought I would try it in one of the 4 scrapes I had cameras on for comparison.
The 3 that I used either nothing or Tinks 69 in kept the same amount of visitors to them.
The one scrape I peed in saw a BIG increase in activity. I would say I had 3 to 4 times as many deer checking that one scrape than the other 3 I had left alone.
Could have been a fluke, but it really got my attention.

So, I tried something else. One of the scrapes was along the edge of a pasture bordered by thick cover. It was being used, but the bucks had only made that ONE scrape in that area.
I made a mock scrape about 30 yards further down from the existing scrape and peed in it instead of using a bottled scent.
I gave it 3 days and went back to check the area.
There were now 9 (yes, I said 9) new scrapes along that pasture edge. Could have been ANOTHER fluke, but it really seemed like the mock scrape supercharged the deer into making more scrapes.

Far from absolute PROOF that human urine works better than bottled urine, but it sure was an eye opener to the possibility.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You also need to rub the edge of your eyelid on an overhanging branch while you are there. Just be real careful. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It also helps to pee on ones knees and rub them together.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget to thrash the bush and sharpen your horn!

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sharpening your horn sounds painful.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
yep

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might also want to wear a chastity belt, in case that big buck slips up behind you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Almost all wild animals will check out a new scent, and cover it with their own scent if they are territorial at all. Trappers use fox urine and catch bobcats, coyotes, coons, fox etc. Animals check out different scents, and it is natural to do so.

You really can't go wrong by pouring a coke in a scrape. If the scrape isn't smelling like the dominant buck in the area, he will take that as a threat, and saturate the area with scrapes and rubs marking his territory.

Deer spooking from human urine is an old wives tale. It is the human presence and intrusion into core areas that they are more likely to spook from.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep, everytime I can.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a little ammonia will do...

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Eat some asparagus the night before you pee in the scrape. I don't know about the bucks but it sure gets my attention! sick

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Pee in them all the time.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to recognize the difference between territorial scrapes and active ones.

Don't know anything about pissing in them, but have my doubts about it driving a buck crazy... whistle

If it was a consistently effective trick, I'm sure we would have heard about it long before now.

The stuff you read On the Internet...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What I know-the scrapes that I pee in get hit much more than those that I don't.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have, and have seen where bucks go nuts over it.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've done it and have seen more activity at those sites. However, it has done little as far as getting me a buck. I think what increases your chances of seeing a big buck during shooting light is a hot doe. So, you might want to bring your wife out to pop a squat in the woods for you.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doubletap
Sharpening your horn sounds painful.

Well, look, you want to shoot that big buck or not?

grin

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have Schoolkraft pee in a bottle and sell it! ;o) I have never peed in one but guess I will start.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have started my own new scrapes with my own pee and some spit on a licking branch. More than once it became an active scrap visited by both sexes.
jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 821 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.