-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Pops and I have been hunting here a few seasons and seen them in different places but can't seem to get it 'dialed in.'

Right now, we're hunting the 'late/L1 season' which runs 11/21 - 11/29.

He's gettin up there in age but is blessed to have a second home in Dillon, CO. He's much more comfy in the house here in Dillon than his traditional cold weather wall tent. Good 'hunting camp'

I've seen them in the Straight Creek drainage (parallels the S side of I70, just west of the tunnel). Also, Tenderfoot Mtn just on the S side of this drainage. Specifically near the county dump.

I've heard they go up and over Hoosier Pass area.

My buddy took a cow up Bushee Creek 4th season. Sounds like he got into a nice herd of them.

A lot of times we'll do the 'I70 road hunt' meaning we just have someone drop us on the S side of I70 and walk into Straight Creek. I've only seen 'em once or twice. Theory was, hunting pressure from the more accessible S side of Tenderfoot would cause them to head up and over to this drainage. I spent a lot of time here the last two season and really only run into 'em once though - I'm discouraged with this area.

I'm stumped at this point.

Any advice/help/direction you can share is appreciated.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There is too much summer traffic in those areas. People are hiking,biking ,etc around all summer, eaalry fal.I'd at least drive north and try to get into the east side of he Gore range from Green Mountain reservoir area.

Typically staying in town and driving to a hunting area is not very pro ductive, hunting along I-70 is less so.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you're seeing them where's the hiccup in getting one down?

It might help to go follow the elk you spot. If they were on the move when you first saw them, back trail them to see where they're coming from because you probably won't catch them, but you'll learn something about their escape habits plus there may be stragglers. If they're calm and then get spooked, follow and see where they're going. If you catch up to them or if they stay calm, shoot one!

Remember what you learn and use it to your advantage in the future. I shot my 1st two elk while sitting under the same tree two years in a row. It was luck that I found the spot, but the trail I was watching was an escape route from bedding cover on the other side of the hill. Sounds like you're in an area you could find a spot like that!

Also, I disagree about the area near I-70 being a poor place to hunt. I think that accessing public land that way can be productive, and definitely if you're willing to walk a mile or so. Other than late winter, I don't remember too many times I haven't spotted elk from the freeway somewhere between Grand Junction and Georgetown. Just remember the "No Shooting" areas.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
one of the problems w/ the L1 season is that by then many of the cows are in large groups, often holed up in refuge areas (e.g. ranches) where they aren't accessible by most

so you are either into a bunch of them, or none

they have also already been hunted for a couple months that fall, so the ones left make fewer mistakes

although they'll be more spread out from high to low, you might try an earlier season

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Those large groups form up when the weather comes in and promptly break down again when it clears. I usually find many small groups spread out between the larger groups, even in the middle of a storm. Heavy weather gets them moving and forming into the large groups and makes them easier to find. Once the weather clears, you'll find small groups all over the place on their normal wintering grounds. If it's a cold, wet winter, they'll usually be a little further down the drainages, but not that far from their summer and especially their normal winter grounds. Hang out near the property boundaries and you'll catch them moving back and forth, even during late season bluebird weather. That's how and where I got my cow this past Sunday.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.