Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My Badlands Superday is too big & I need a new daypack. I'm looking at the sitka ascent 14 & the badlands ultraday. Can anyone offer their experiences with either of these - too big, too small, comfortable, not enough pockets, shoulder support, etc.??

thnx

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No experience with either of the bags mentioned, but I like the Hill People Gear Tarahumara:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/24/Default.aspx

Wore mine on an elk hunt earlier this month and it rode very comfortably. Daily load was about 11lbs, including 64oz of water onboard in two water bottles placed in the packs side pockets. The quality of the materials and construction were, to my mind, far ahead of the Badlands and Eberlestock packs I've seen in local shops in the same price range.

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/20/12.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Can't help you with those packs either. I use Kifaru packs.
What I can tell you is that cold weather hunting reguires a pack that will carry extra clothing. Your extra clothing, when hiking, especially climbing, goes into the bag. When you stop to glass or slow down to slowly hunt timber, you may well need all of it.
My small pack has 2200 ci, and an add on pouch that adds still more. So, what 2500 ci or even a bit more ? E

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alright...thanks to both Oregon45 & Eremicus...I'll check out both suggestions

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45
No experience with either of the bags mentioned, but I like the Hill People Gear Tarahumara:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produ...tails/mid/1916/ProductID/24/Default.aspx

Wore mine on an elk hunt earlier this month and it rode very comfortably. Daily load was about 11lbs, including 64oz of water onboard in two water bottles placed in the packs side pockets. The quality of the materials and construction were, to my mind, far ahead of the Badlands and Eberlestock packs I've seen in local shops in the same price range.

I like the sleek look, but I'm looking for minimally 1300-1500cuinches...so this is a bit small. I may come back to it if the others don't work out, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm always interested in new products and had never heard of this brand.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It is on the small side, but I found using the compression straps on the bottom to carry my raingear freed up more space in the internal compartment. The absence of internal dividers was nice as well, as you can just use stuff sacks and configure the load however you want to.

HPG makes a larger version of the Tara called the "Highlander" that has many of the same features, but with more internal space.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Can't help you with those packs either. I use Kifaru packs.
What I can tell you is that cold weather hunting reguires a pack that will carry extra clothing. Your extra clothing, when hiking, especially climbing, goes into the bag. When you stop to glass or slow down to slowly hunt timber, you may well need all of it.
My small pack has 2200 ci, and an add on pouch that adds still more. So, what 2500 ci or even a bit more ? E

I totally understand what you are saying E. My superday is quite large and fills that need in really cold weather. I simply need somethings smaller and overall more compact for easier movement through the woods when I am not packing a significant amount of extra clothing.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I second the Kifaru suggestion. Well made, comfortable, designed by a hunter and great customer service.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Setch,
If you want to sell the Superday, send me a PM. It is just the right size for how I hunt.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JimR
I second the Kifaru suggestion. Well made, comfortable, designed by a hunter and great customer service.

I third Kifaru. You will thank us later. Can't find a better pack anywhere or service!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kifaru Daystalker or Scout....

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22

It looks like the daystalker is an older model no longer carried...? I can't find any pictures/descriptions on Kifaru's site....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Does anyone have experience with an Eberlestock x-1? How does it compare to the others being discussed? Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by setch
Originally Posted by huntsman22

It looks like the daystalker is an older model no longer carried...? I can't find any pictures/descriptions on Kifaru's site....

The Scout is the mil version of the daystalker. I haven't looked on there for a while, so maybe the 'stalker is outta prod. These models are lumbar packs just big enuff for lunch and the essentials. If you take lots of extra clothes, they gotta be tied on the outside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duckcall
Does anyone have experience with an Eberlestock x-1? How does it compare to the others being discussed? Thanks

I have the X1 but cannot compare to the others since I've never had them but. It has plenty of room, an internal removable partition, waterproof pockets, bladder pouch and of course rifle scabbard. It's very comfortable and balanced. I've had mine loaded to 85lbs and it was fine.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love my BL Ultraday! Perfect for the day with plenty of room for food, water, and other supplies. The pocket mix is perfect! I don't think you will be disappointed if you go this route.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, good confirmation that these are lumbar packs. I had to stare at the site quite awhile to get that sense given the 'optional' shoulder harness system they make available. Thanks for the help on this huntsman22!

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntinut
Originally Posted by duckcall

I have the X1 but cannot compare to the others since I've never had them but. It has plenty of room, an internal removable partition, waterproof pockets, bladder pouch and of course rifle scabbard. It's very comfortable and balanced. I've had mine loaded to 85lbs and it was fine.

Huntinut....does the X1 have a hydration bladder compatability???

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you're looking at BL, also consider the "Pursuit." It's becoming my go-to pack for woods bumming, fishing, predator calling, varmint shooting ... etc.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It may be to big for your needs but I found the Mystery Ranch Longbow perfect for a daypack through a multiday pack.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.