Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm getting ready to purchase an optic for my rock m4 I have a few questions. My rifle will be a patrol rifle and used daily.

I'm interested I

n the aimpoint micro t1, the ML2, and the ML3. I know the aimpoint is very popular and is a quality site, but I'm not sure which to get. I'm leaning towards the micro t1, but have no experience with it.

My second question is 2moa dot or 4moa? Any pro's or con's with the size of dot or is it personal preference?

Thanks

FJB
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm going with an Aimpoint 3x tripler behind my old Aimpoint ML3, but all that is over a grand with Larue mounts.

I think the most bang for the buck is a 1-4X scope ( it HAS to be a true 1X, NO magnification on the lowest setting for a combat rifle to slow you down). I think the Burris XTR is the best out there for under a grand (under $700 online). The Larue LT104 is the top shelf mount, but a forward mount like the new Leupold IMS mount with Leupy QRW rings would do as well for less $$$. This is the exact setup I'm putting on a new 3-gun rifle.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've owned the M2, ML3 and an H1 micro. The ML3 had the 2 MOA dot while the others had a 4 MOA dot. I would probably do the 2 MOA dot if I had it to do again but my current H1 is plenty accurate enough for what I use it for. I use red dots for speed and scopes for accuracy cause my eyes have a slight astignatism, which blooms the dot a tad.

I really like the Micro series and just FYI, the H1 is a bit cheaper than the T1. It's for non night vision like the ML series.
[Linked Image]
my older ML3
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I did the T1 but if NV is not in your future then H1 is the same thing. I did the 4MOA T1 and find with my eyes it's equivalent in performance to the 2MOA Comp ML3 I have on another rifle. I hit gallon milk jugs at 100 yard prone with both rifles and mil surp ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

If you prefer smaller dot, H1/T1 are available now in 2 moa dot.
Fast enough for short range, cover less of target when going farther. good sight.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'm going with an Aimpoint 3x tripler behind my old Aimpoint ML3, but all that is over a grand with Larue mounts.

I think the most bang for the buck is a 1-4X scope ( it HAS to be a true 1X, NO magnification on the lowest setting for a combat rifle to slow you down). I think the Burris XTR is the best out there for under a grand (under $700 online). The Larue LT104 is the top shelf mount, but a forward mount like the new Leupold IMS mount with Leupy QRW rings would do as well for less $$$. This is the exact setup I'm putting on a new 3-gun rifle.

Question for you TAK, having run a 1.5-5 Leupold and run my Aimpoints with the front cover closed, how does the Bindon Aiming Concept fit in with the "true" 1 power theory? As long as the red dot is there I fail to see why a true 1x is needed for fast work. Thinking ACOG w/4x mag as well.

I've also been thinking about trying a Trijicon 1-4 which is supposed to be a true 1x and has to be better than any Burris...

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
So is the micro h1 just as good a tactical optic as the t1 sans the nv capability?

FJB
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

You can say that, the T1 as four (4) night vision lighting positions, the H1 none and the T1 is fully submercible to 25 meters, the H1 only to 5 meters maximum.

Energy consumption is the same except the NV position ot T1 which give 500000 hours of use.

Since 9th of march 2012, both models are available in 2 moa.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

Question for you TAK, having run a 1.5-5 Leupold and run my Aimpoints with the front cover closed, how does the Bindon Aiming Concept fit in with the "true" 1 power theory? As long as the red dot is there I fail to see why a true 1x is needed for fast work. Thinking ACOG w/4x mag as well.

I've also been thinking about trying a Trijicon 1-4 which is supposed to be a true 1x and has to be better than any Burris...

The 4X ACOGS suck balls inside 25yd, they are painfully slow. IMO, the very critical eye relief is the major problem that slows you down, but I watched a PJ drop to prone and clean 20 8in head plates with 20 shots at 150yd a few days ago so everything is a trade off. In an urban environment, I'd want an Aimpoint T1 mounted in a "one o'clock" mount to go with an ACOG.

The Bindon Aiming concept appears to work for some and not others (weak eye dominance?) The BAC works great on my 1.5X ACOG Mini, but I've not done timed tests against an Aimpoint with it yet.

Maybe YOU can do fast work with a 1.5-4X scope. I've learned a long time ago that a sighting system that rocks for one guy doesn't work as well for another. As a general rule, I'd say ANY magnification is undesireable, IMO.

A lot of 3-gunners really like the Trijicon 1-4X, just make sure you order the correct one, they make two, one is optimized for an AR (eye relief, IIRC). If you zeroed the tip of the triangle at 50/200, and figured out what the drop was to the bottom of the triangle, you'd have have an effective sight for probably as far as most of us have an business shooting.

Don't discount the Burris XTR scopes, they are US made, with good glass.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by TWR

BAC is dependent on an individuals eyesight. In any case there is a point of impact shift between closed and open. It may or may not be enough to matter for your uses. For me it's a 4-6 in shift at 25 yards. That doesn't work for most of my requirements.

Also there are no true 1x or zero magnification scope. They all have some level of magnification. The Trijicon TR24 is a solid 1-4x, I wouldn't use the Burris again....

Originally Posted by rockchucker
So is the micro h1 just as good a tactical optic as the t1 sans the nv capability?

Yes.

Originally Posted by writing_frog

You can say that, the T1 as four (4) night vision lighting positions, the H1 none and the T1 is fully submercible to 25 meters, the H1 only to 5 meters maximum.

Energy consumption is the same except the NV position ot T1 which give 500000 hours of use.

Since 9th of march 2012, both models are available in 2 moa.

Dom

Actually the T1 is tested to 25m. The H1 are not tested to 25m, but they are built the same.

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ran a 4x ACOG and didn't like it either but it was daylight black and illuminated at night only. Didn't know how the fiber optic ones were. Have heard the 3x is a nice compromise with better eye relief.

I guess I'm lucky as BAC seems to work for me, might look harder at the Trijicon 1-4's.

Thanks for your thoughts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i just looked at the 3.5x trijicon. its lighter with its mount than my 1-4 NF in larue mount. The eye relief was not too bad. the red dots are nice but a green laser with a 3.5 trijicon might be best for me. Is a laser slower?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
[quote=Formidilosus]

Also there are no true 1x or zero magnification scope. They all have some level of magnification

I'm tellin' ya, the 1-4x Burris XTR has NO magnification on 1x, it is just as fast as an Aimpoint.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I ended up getting a t1 with a 2 now

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The T1 Micro on a DD ridged for my "service" rifle smirk

The only thing I didn't like was the price $$$$$$ WOW

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ted how u like the mount?

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's great... I have no need for a quick disconnect and wanted rock solid and ultra light...... There is no better than the DD in those regards the sights 1/2 moa adjustments I wish we're 1/4 but should be fine for cyotes and groundhogs from the truck

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like ya made your choice. For anyone else thinking about a T-1, I just want to mention the 4moa dot is not that big. And I find it easier to pick up targets with the larger dot in shoot houses. Unless you have an astigmatism (sp?), the larger dot will be fine in my opinion.

The reason I mention this, is that with the 2moa being available now, a lot of guys are selling their old T-1s fairly cheap to switch to the 2moa. And those things are tanks. I also called Aimpoint and they assured me that it does not matter if you're the original owner or not and they don't need a receipt. An Aimpoint product breaks, they fix/replace free.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would go with the Aimpoint

PRO
Comp M3 or ML3
Comp4

I like the larger FOV over the T1,H1 series.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
I would go with the Aimpoint

PRO
Comp M3 or ML3
Comp4

I like the larger FOV over the T1,H1 series.

Those are excellent optics. But if used properly, both eyes open and directly behind the optic, the outer "ring" all but disappears. FOV shouldn't come in to play much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.