Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Over the past few weeks I'm getting increasing sick of people price gouging everyone.
I'm seeing rifles that I purchased very recently selling for over $1000 more than what I paid for.

Today at a local gun show I literally laughed in the face of someone selling Magpul 30 round mags for $70 a mag!!

I've had a guy trying to rape me over a bare bones AR for $1375 no matter what I throw at him he gets increasingly annoying. Normally it would go for $900-950... I have a custom rifle he wants.... I'm asking $1130 shipped and the ****** comes back and offers $750. In the words of others on here... GFY.

I saw a $1800 rifle tagged $3200 and a SOCOM 16 for the same. Come on guys, really!!

Sorry, I'm usually a nice guy, but it's getting stupid.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by addicted
Over the past few weeks I'm getting increasing sick of people price gouging everyone.
I'm seeing rifles that I purchased very recently selling for over $1000 more than what I paid for.

Today at a local gun show I literally laughed in the face of someone selling Magpul 30 round mags for $70 a mag!!

I've had a guy trying to rape me over a bare bones AR for $1375 no matter what I throw at him he gets increasingly annoying. Normally it would go for $900-950... I have a custom rifle he wants.... I'm asking $1130 shipped and the ****** comes back and offers $750. In the words of others on here... GFY.

I saw a $1800 rifle tagged $3200 and a SOCOM 16 for the same. Come on guys, really!!

As I've asked others...if you purchased some silver for $20 an ounce and overnight it went up to $40 an ounce, and you wanted to sell it, you would insist on selling for the same amount you bought it for in order to not "gouge"?

No offense, but in trades, whether it is pre-Connecticut Massacre or after it, it's all dependent on how bad you want what the guy you are trading with has. If you don't want to pay the prices, don't. If you want it, there it is.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Its only stupid because I don't have a dozen AR's to sell at the moment.

I really wish I had stocked up more on AR'S and mags (both AR and Pistol). That kind of stuff is not really my thing but I sure I hope I have enough for both my boys to use their entire lifetimes.

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
no matter what I throw at him he gets increasingly annoying

So when you repeatedly ask him to lose money by selling something below market value.....HE'S the annoying one?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

There is no such thing as price gouging.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Supply and demand in it's purest form. Yeah it sucks, but that's why we make hay when the sun still shines.

I've got 2 gal pals/friends that seen the handwriting on the wall before the Conn school shooting and got their house in order. One picked up an Glock 17, multiple Colt 6920's, an Ruger 10/22, shotguns, and cases upon cases to feed them + an 5k of 7.62x39 ammo along with lotsa AK and AR P-mags. Smart girl!

My other friend was on an tighter budget and I took her shopping for an Mossy 500 shotgun, Ruger Mini-14 + extra 20rnd mags, Ruger 10/22, and helped her score an nice Glock 27 dept trade in with extra mags. She has an modest ammo supply, but has enough to defend the home and hunt with if needed.

It's really all about priorities and life decisions where you want to put your money.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree that ammo, mags, and firearms are WAYYYYY overpriced at this time. Nobody will argue that things arne't stuiply spendy. But it's all about what the market (buyers) are will to pay for an product and the product availbility. Either we made the right moves and were serious about having an supply, or we kicked tires on the car but didn't buy in at the right time.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So are you just now trying to get an AR?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by TWR
So are you just now trying to get an AR?

Have what I need and seen this coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What's the big deal if someone wants $70 for their product? Either we let the free market decide or we insist people must sell below market value - in which case we are stealing money out of their pocket. Can you spell "W-E-A-L-T-H R-E-D-I-S-T-R-I-B-T-I-O-N" ? When the government requires it at the point of a gun it is no less wrong than simple theivery.

Just before the latest nonsense I purchased two Rock River LAR-15 rifles as Christmas presents for my daughters (The other got a Kimber and my wife a shotgun.) I seriously considered keeping the ARs and selling them as I could easily more than doubled my money. Instead I determined the guns were worth way more than that to me even though I was giving them away for free. Had I chosen to sell there is no way I would have taken less than market price and if someone considered that "gouging", tough schitt.

"Price gouging" is just a term invented by people who want something for less than its current value.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Say another AWB goes through. There are so many possibilities let's just stick with the old one. If the old one got re-activated, current prices certainly will not seem like "gouging" but rather, "bargains".

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
CTD had GI 30 round mags for $90 each last time I looked. Man it sure makes me wish I would have held onto all those 20 round Colt mags I had years ago. I sold most of them for $10 each or 3 for $25. Oh well I had a little over 300 of them, got a couple of nice rifles and some other stuff out of them. I can only imagine if I walked into a gunshow this weekend with those mags, what kind of money I could walk out with!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How's this for a concept:

"The value of an item is what people of free will determine it to be."

Clearly you don't think the mags are worth $70 , even though that may, as someone pointed out, seem like a bargain in the near future. If the seller can't sell them for that, he may lower his price or he may decide to hold on to them until they sell. Either way is OK by me. I thought about buying some for $30-35 today but decided to pass, hoping the supply will catch up with demand before they are restricted again. It's a risk I'm taking and one that I may come to regret. In any case, people were buying at that price so the freely determined value was at least that for the time being.

The guy didn't want to pay your asking price for your rifle and that makes him a "******"? Clearly the rifle wasn't worth your price to him, regardless of how highly you might value it.

Today I saw a Ruger Mini-14 marked at just over $1500. Am I a "******" because I didn't buy it even though it was 3x what I'd be willing to pay?

Did your not buying the magazines make you a "******"?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i agree it isn't price gouging. the market is what the market is. it is not what the seller paid for the product but what would it cost to replace it. example,several years ago i bought a few cases of ammo. i paid 130 dollars a case. the other night i found a web site that was selling the same ammo for 499 dollars a case and sold out of it in a short time. if i sold mine and doubled my money i still couldn't replace it at todays rates which means it was worth more than i sold it for.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You should be mad at the politicians.

The real value of something is what people are willing to pay.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to a gun show today. There wasn't a NIB AR-15 for less than $2500. Complete lowers ranged from $650 to $800. There weren't any stripped lowers that I saw. Surplus mags were $20, C-Products mags were $30 and PMags ranged from $40 to $70.

NOBODY WAS BUYING. I THINK THE PANIC HAS DIED DOWN A LITTLE.

there were lots of gougers but very few if any gougies. wink

I ran across a vendor that had Federal small rifle primers at a fair price. Thw 205's were $33 per 1000 and he had one case of federal Match for $36 so I went ahead and bought a box of each. Not my favorite brand what the hell, they'll get used.

Terry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TC1
I went to a gun show today. There wasn't a NIB AR-15 for less than $2500. Complete lowers ranged from $650 to $800. There weren't any stripped lowers that I saw. Surplus mags were $20, C-Products mags were $30 and PMags ranged from $40 to $70.

NOBODY WAS BUYING. I THINK THE PANIC HAS DIED DOWN A LITTLE.

there were lots of gougers but very few if any gougies. wink

I ran across a vendor that had Federal small rifle primers at a fair price. Thw 205's were $33 per 1000 and he had one case of federal Match for $36 so I went ahead and bought a box of each. Not my favorite brand what the hell, they'll get used.

Terry
The fact that nobody was buying may very well be more a facet of them being out of money and their credit maxed out than it is the panic dying down.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could be but I don't think so.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It isn't dying down here from what I am seeing.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Come May I'll be getting cards to max out, myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is dieing down, there are tons of overpriced rifles with reduced and even more reduced prices on many forums oriented around AR's. They aren't selling even remotely like they were right after the Conn massacre. They will come down even more when guys realize that they overspent themselves in their own panic and need to recoup the cash they spent on something they didn't need. I turned a nice profit on my Colt and have watched the prices go down each and every week since then. Of course the supply chain will be in the private sales market since every store, and distributor is cleaned out but I even saw where a guy walked into a walmart and they had just got some Colts in and he picked up a LE6920 for the $1,097 price they normally sell for. This AR BS is the silliest thing I have ever witnessed, way worse than when Osama was voted in back in 08/09.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.