Home
Posted By: POP E-Tip on the Nosler store now! - 08/21/07
The E-Tips are available in the Nosler store right now! They are first come first serve so get them now.

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=140

http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=11&b=5&s=140

Were so spoiled.
Pop, thanks for the headsup. Just got my order in.
UPS shipping for ONE BOX one state over to MT was over $12... forget it.
Posted By: DDP Re: E-Tip on the Nosler store now! - 08/22/07
$36 + $12 shipping... $48 a box... TSX I'm coming home baby.
Exactly, with those prices forget it...
Originally Posted by bludog
Not cheaper than the Partition. A little steeper than anticipated.

I thought so also but......

On the same web page /link, look at the "Nosler Shop" Partition prices for 30 cal 180. They are 2-3 bucks cheaper than the E-tips. Now look at midway for the NP's price add 2 bucks and that is what the E-tip will cost you when they hit the streets in numbers.

Go to Hornady and price their bullets also, same deal way more than Midway and others. I think it is the MSRP thing and they sell them at that price.

BTW great write up on this bullet in SEP issue Shooting Times.

Anyone know what the BC is supposed to be on those?

Yep, I'll wait until they are here locally to give them a try.
Posted By: POP Re: E-Tip on the Nosler store now! - 08/22/07
Originally Posted by Gmoney
Exactly, with those prices forget it...

I thought so also but......

On the same web page /link, look at the "Nosler Shop" Partition prices for 30 cal 180. They are 2-3 bucks cheaper than the E-tips. Now look at midway for the NP's price add 2 bucks and that is what the E-tip will cost you when they hit the streets in numbers.

Go to Hornady and price their bullets also, same deal way more than Midway and others. I think it is the MSRP thing and they sell them at that price.

BTW great write up on this bullet in SEP issue Shooting Times.

as far as BC

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by DDP
... TSX I'm coming home baby.

Unfortunately the TSX and the new TTSX (see below) will always be plagued with the copper problems that we all know about. The thing I love about the E-tip it's jacket contains Zinc so it shoots, produces pressure, fouls, and has the same accuracy traits as a cup/core slug.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/bullet-n-archive/august-2007-barnes-bullet-n/

[Linked Image]
I love it when marketing is based on 'examples of one'... give it a couple of years and thousands of critters, then we'll see what they're really worth. They're cool looking, that's for sure... and a great concept. But based on the above pictures I think the expanded TSX with pettals missings is a better way to have a projectile end up. I find it' rather ironic that Nosler has chosen to use that image of the TSX bullet as a negitive, when their flagship Partition almost always ends up EXACTLY the same way... front section missing and 60-70% of the shank doing the remaining work. Anyone else notice that? ~JT
Originally Posted by POP
Originally Posted by DDP

Unfortunately the TSX and the new TTSX (see below) will always be plagued with the copper problems that we all know about. The thing I love about the E-tip it's jacket contains Zinc so it shoots, produces pressure, fouls, and has the same accuracy traits as a cup/core slug.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/resources/newsletters/bullet-n-archive/august-2007-barnes-bullet-n/

[Linked Image]

Dude.................
He's a moderator over on the Nosler site...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by POP
Originally Posted by DDP

[Linked Image]

Dude.................

DUDE?

I do not get it. ?????

I getting sick of trick bullet BS. Speer Hotcors have never failed me even on some tough shots as long as I picked the right weight. I have used the Partitions some but I just don't need what they are trying to sell.
What Steelie is saying is: he...nor I... nor most everyone who's shot the TSX... has experienced any 'copper problems'. Barnes pretty much licked that with the TSX, the XBT was bad, but the TSX actually fouls less than the Nosler Ballistic Tips I shoot out of my .280AI. By that rational... the E-Tip, with its guilding metal construction, should foul more in my rifles than the TSX. Correct?
Pop, do you work for Nosler?
Pop,

Dude,

How many E-tips have you shot? How many TSX's?

Enthusiasm is fine, but "dude", is right. Let's at least attempt some objectivity..... JMO, Dutch.
Personally hundreds of TSX's , not that many compared to others. Just the ones I loaded for my rifles and for my friends. As far as the E-tip I have not seen any in real life let alone shoot any. What I am relaying is what is being relayed to me by the testers at Nosler and by the different gun writers who tried them in Texas and various parts of Africa. Reports have been very positive with the bullet's highlights which I stated above. As far as enthusiasm ...yeah it does get the best of me sometimes...... Hey I am human.
Why should I choose the E-Tip over the Partition, and why would I choose the E-Tip over the Barnes TSX, or the Swift A-Frame, or the North Fork?

AD
I have too much regard for Nosler bullets as well as the company to think they would nickel-and-dime me for advertising.

I have known about POP's mod status over there for a long time, and I had already asked him once or twice to refrain from promotional posting, to which he agreed. I am very surprised by his hanging multiple identical posts on the 'Fire, as he knows it is against policy, and I have consolidated them here. This clearly is a breach of our agreement.

POP, I would have been GLAD to posts a press-release from Nosler re the E-Tip. MORE THAN HAPPY TO DO IT.

I will assume you're flying solo, so I direct this to you, once again:

"Promotional posts are reserved for paying advertisers only."

Please have the good folks from Nosler contact me, and I will be GLAD to work something out with them so they may make these types of announcements, as we are ALL interested.

There's no reason to transact on this level, and I can't imagine Nosler sanctioned this.

POP, you know better.

rb

You should not choose the e-tip over anything that is working great for you already!

I am just updating on it's availability, not selling them!

By the same token I am immensely exited about the possibility of the introduction of the new Northfork with a super pointy tip! Yeah baby a super high BC Northfork!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I get carried away.........I e-mailed Mike Brady a while back and he said that If and only If the experimentals meet 100% of his expectations (accuracy, penetration, expansion and I am sure much more) then he will release them.

Another toy on the market, Heck yeah I am excited!
Originally Posted by RickBin
I have too much regard for Nosler bullets as well as the company to think they would nickel-and-dime me for advertising.

I have known about POP's mod status over there for a long time, and I had already asked him once or twice to refrain from promotional posting, to which he agreed. I am very surprised by his hanging multiple identical posts on the 'Fire, as he knows it is against policy, and I have consolidated them here. This clearly is a breach of our agreement.

POP, I would have been GLAD to posts a press-release from Nosler re the E-Tip. MORE THAN HAPPY TO DO IT.

I will assume you're flying solo, so I direct this to you, once again:

"Promotional posts are reserved for paying advertisers only."

Please have the good folks from Nosler contact me, and I will be GLAD to work something out with them so they may make these types of announcements, as we are ALL interested.

There's no reason to transact on this level, and I can't imagine Nosler sanctioned this.

POP, you know better.

rb

Rick I answered your pm on this.
Originally Posted by CAS
Pop, do you work for Nosler?

When the Nosler site first got established there was an incredible amount of spam and other "unwanted adult material and links" posted. blush

I volunteered to keep it clean and after a while they agreed to let me.

So no I do not work for them, get paid, kick backs or any of that good stuff. Just one of you guys but with the power to delete nasty stuff over there. grin
Originally Posted by RickBin

No sir! This never occurred! As stated this was meant as an update.... by me..... nothing else.
I imagine the E-tip and TSX probably perform about the same. What would hook me as a consumer is to offer a bullet the same as an E-tip, but much cheaper. I still cannot justify these $1 bullets when I have killed everthing I pointed my gun at with a wimpy, non-premium, Core-Lokt.

+1 for POP, he's a good guy and I've had PM's and transactions I truly doubt he's a "plant" from Nosler. That's like saying that Steelie's a plant from McMillan, E from Leupold, me personally from Leica and CAS from .... well some place that sells the damn coolest rifles ever smile

Anyway, POP's a good guy, he's just as biased as the rest of us which isn't a bad thing.

J
Biased ain't a bad thing, I'm biased towards lots of things I have used.

I ain't biased towards I bullet I have never held or fired.
True....but if Dick at McMillan told you about a great new stock pattern that eliminated felt recoil, you'd be excited to give it a try...wouldn't you?

POP is just having premature ignition on the e-tip smile
Can't wait to try some in 7mm and 30 cal 150 and 165 when they come available.
I'm sure they'll catch hell when their "petals" break off. Never see a Sierra ad with bullets without cores or in pieces. Why do bulletmakers set themselves up this way?
Nosler does stuff up right, but they'd better not quit making the PT like they did the FS and PT Gold's in favor of something "new". A fella gets biased and they quit making them.
Depends on what colors were available. Besides I shoot sissy cartridges, so recoil ain't an issue.......grin
At least the 257 Roy has "Magnum" in the name...you can puff out your chest for that one.
So do my condoms, but it's just a name........
LMAO...I give up...can't even think of a response for that one.
A 257 Roy has probably never failed him, if it has he knows and he'd tell, he won't tell you if his condoms have, and he doesn't know YET.
I use them for the added reservoir tip.....
Hefty huh 32 gal. Oh thats right, you don't care about the name, Ruffies huh? sick

4" is one hell of a reservoir
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Can't wait to try some in 7mm and 30 cal 150 and 165 when they come available.

Actually I am very exited about these guys too!

[Linked Image]

If barnes licked the expansion problem, (which BTW is the only problem I personally faced many many times with the TSX) , the TTSX would be one heck of a bullet!
Originally Posted by jasonkjasonk

Enough of that... I just spit coffee all over the monitor!
settle down fellas... got coffee drippin' from my nostril.
Hawk1--

The Fail Safe and Nosler Partition Gold were Winchester's idea, not Nosler's. Winchester was making the Fail Safe even before Nosler got partnerd up with them. Remember the ill-fated "Talon," that got dropped because it also came out in a "cop-killer" handgun version? That was the Fail Safe under its original name.

Winchester became convinced that the old Partition could be spiffed up too with the help of one of the Fail-Safe steel caps to the rear lead core. Trouble was, there wasn't anything wrong with the original Partition. (As somebody I know well once said, "You mean they were trying to fill the vast performance gap between the Fail Safe and Partition?"

I tried hard in Africa to make an E-Tip lose a petal or two, but couldn't do it. Nobody has to buy them, but all they did for me was shoot very accurately in two rifles, shoot very flat, open well on light game, and penetrate bone on heavy game very well.

To anyone startled by the price: Probably the reason they are costing a lot is the recent increases in metal prices. Most bullets are going up.

Last I looked, most shooters who pay more for bullets (North Fork, A-Frame, etc.) are convinced "their" bullets are a lot better. But somehow this isn't supposed to apply to Noslers?

JB
I am looking forward to having the Nosle E Tip because the California F&G Commission is meeting this month on lead-free bullets. The ARFs are demanding they ban something because condors *might* die from ingesting lead, and tehat lead might come from hunters' bullets (this is speculated by advocates, but not yet proven by science). We will see what the F&G Commissioners do.

jim
POP.....any word on the B.C. of the 180's ??

J
MD,
Yep, I remember that Black Talon title very well. They had bullets with caliber(308/300Mag) recommendations and the 338 was a 250! Ironically, law enforcement continued to use the "Black Talon" (STS) after they were "banned", at least some friends of mine did for awhile. I did not realize the PT Gold was Win's idea. I liked the way the PT Gold seemed to damage less meat, admittedly my experience was only a few animals. They also shot better in my particular rifle. What a HUGE performance gap! grin
What will the naysayers say when and if they lose a petal? Maybe they NEVER will? I'm sure the folks a Barnes and Nosler get calls complaining that their bullets don't look like the ones in the pictures! Taken from dead animals of course!
Personally, I don't care as the X's resemble the flat noses I use in handgun bullets when the petals shear, kinda like a Partition without its front core and furled back. They kill and damage tissue well.
I'm a little leery about the movement towards the homogenous/single metal alloy bullets. Yes, they are amazing, but why are so many bullet companies going this route? If its a performance thing, great, if its the EPA coming around the corner, I am very concerned. Like I said, I would HATE to see the PT replaced, and so would many others. Also, these metals always cost more than lead, which is at record levels as well. Perhaps manufacture is easier for these styles of bullets, and cost will go down as more of them are bought? I know these companies must be prepared for our "friends". ALL bullets are going up! I work in the battery industry and look at the lead market every day!
Thanks again JB.
Nate
I'm thinking I'll give the e-tip a shot and see how it performs. I'm considering going to a 300 Win for a lot of stuff and this bullet may be a good match. I wonder how long it is compared to a 180 partition. If I can get an E-tip to shoot accurately at 3100 fps with a BC of .523 it may cover a lot of bases.

Hmm
BB...can I ask where you saw that they were going to have a BC of 523? Seems pretty high, but cool if they really are.

J
Page 1, 11th post
Originally Posted by POP
Anyway, I get carried away.........I e-mailed Mike Brady a while back and he said that If and only If the experimentals meet 100% of his expectations (accuracy, penetration, expansion and I am sure much more) then he will release them.

A North Fork with Delrin tips???

The PERFECT BULLET???

I want some!!!
Yup! I hope they work out ok for Mike Brady so he can produce them.

As long as the tree-huggers do not force us to use NON_LEAD. Then our choices will be very very limited.
POP.....any word on the B.C. of the 180's ??

J

523 BC . It is listed on my previous post where they compare it and the TSX.
When will we see .308 165-150's, as well as .284 140-150's?
Originally Posted by oulufinn

I will pm you as soon as they are out.
POP, You are the resident bullet loony! laugh
Hawk1,

ALL of the bullet companies, to my knowledge, have been working on "non-toxic" bullets for years. This is not just due to California, but the overseas market. Most bullet companies sell a lot in other places than North America, and they have to consider those markets as well.

JB
Originally Posted by POP
Yup! I hope they work out ok for Mike Brady so he can produce them.

Think I'll call Mike and see if he needs testers!

There's the group I want.
I like the idea of a plastic tip all copper bullet without the stupid B.C. killing grooves. grin
how do the grooves kill BC? does any air even touch the sides of the bullet when it's supersonic?
Originally Posted by POP

I will pm you as soon as they are out.

Man I tell you. I get so exited over this stuff, not just the E-tip. I will try the TTSX and hopefully the Northforks with the tips (if they come out). If it was not for my constant need to tinker with everything new I would be rich...maybe.
I've been watching the E-tip Nosler and waitng for MD's report, etc. I'm gonna let y'all test 'em out good for a year or so and then expect that's the next bullet I'll go to. I have an intuition that Nosler has watched and learned from the long development of the TSX, not fair but it looks like Barnes did the early trial and error work. For this year it will be A-frames for the hefty stuff, Interbonds for deer, and baby 95 grain Partitions in .243 when I get a chance to call wolf, lynx, cougar and smaller.

Shoot lots of E-tips and give us lots more field info on how they do.
Just a correction fellas. In hind sight when I did communicate with Mike Brady he did say the he was working on, or will be working on, a Northfork with a sharp tip, or in other words a high BC northfork. Now I am not 100% sure whether or not a plastic tip would be used in these. I am sorry about the possible misinformation. He did say though that these will have to be as good if not better than his originals in order for him to release them. Gotta admire Mike for his commitment to excellence!
Mike Brady is just a wonderful, bright, patient, detail-oriented guy who must be something of a perfectionist. I respect him highly. I'm astounded at the accuracy of his product, as well as its uniformity and performance on game. North Fork is just an incredible bullet line.........

I'm working with the Barnes TSX in the 338 Win. Mag. right now, but in general, I still prefer lead-core bullets.

AD
Originally Posted by DDP
how do the grooves kill BC? does any air even touch the sides of the bullet when it's supersonic?

I have read on this very board about the grooves causing a loss of B.C. from no less than a former employee of Barnes. But I didnt feel that within 300 yards it would make much difference, until 2 years ago when a buddy and I were at the end of a hunt way up in the mountains of Utah. It was the last day of the hunt and we decided to take a liitle shooting practice. I had loaded, chronographed, and sighted in for both his and my rifles. I had loaded a 130gr. Barnes TSX at 3100 for mine, and for his a 130gr nosler partition also at 3100. Now our target for this shoot was a water jug we placed on the valley floor about 150 yards away, and we were probably shooting at a 30 degree downward angle. These rifles were sighted dead on at 200 yards at the range. Any way shooting down on the target, 50 yards less than the range at which they were sighted for should have you shooting a bit high. Not the case with my TSX I was kicking up dirt in front of the target, but yet my buddies was going over the target like you would suspect. Both of us ended up hitting the target after adjusting, but my first 3 shots of a dead on hold grouped within 2 inches were all low, should have been the opposite. Later when back home I took the same rifle and loads back to the range and what do you know it was still sighted dead on at 200 yards. Remember that I had sighted both rifles myself and in the exact same way before we left.

I think Barnes are good bullets, but I will take one without grooves thank you.
Originally Posted by knight
I like the idea of a plastic tip all copper bullet without the stupid B.C. killing grooves. grin

The difference in trajectory due to a difference in BC (if any) is probably less than the difference in trajectory allowed by the extra 100fps or so allowed by the friction-reducing grooves.

Haven't seen side-by-side, apples-to-apples comparisons (same bullet, with and without grooves), but it is just as possible that the grooves INCREASE BC as decrease it. There is a reason they dimple golf balls and the hulls of racing sailboats... (And yes, I know things are different at supersonic speeds...)
... I had loaded a 130gr. Barnes TSX at 3100 for mine, and for his a 130gr nosler partition also at 3100. Now our target for this shoot was a water jug we placed on the valley floor about 150 yards away, and we were probably shooting at a 30 degree downward angle. These rifles were sighted dead on at 200 yards at the range. Any way shooting down on the target, 50 yards less than the range at which they were sighted for should have you shooting a bit high. Not the case with my TSX I was kicking up dirt in front of the target, but yet my buddies was going over the target like you would suspect. ...

Something is wrong here.

I�m assuming you were shooting a .277� because Nosler doesn�t make a 130g Partition in .308�. That goves us the following BC�s:

.431 Barnes 130g .277� TSX (From Barnes� current web site)
.416 Nosler 130g .277� Partition (From Nosler 5th)

The effective range of a 150-yard target at a 30 degree down angle is 129 yards. (150 yards * cos 30 degrees = 129 yards effective range) We�ll round that to 130 yards.

Zeroed at 200 yards with identical velocities of 3100fps that yields the following trajectories at 130 yards:

+1.42� Barnes 130g
+1.43� Nosler 130g Partition

I suspect there was another unaccounted-for variable. Using a bullet with a lower BC and zeroing at 200 yards causes a HIGHER mid-range trajectory. (Which is why the Nolser Partition is calculated to hit 0.01� higher than the TSX.) If zeroed at 200 yards, and at 3100fps at the muzzle, there is no BC low enough to cause the bullet to drop below line of sight at 129 yards. The lower the BC, the higher the bullet will impact under those conditions. For that matter, there is no BC HIGH enough to hit below line of sight under those conditions, either.

but it is just as possible that the grooves INCREASE BC as decrease it.

Yea that's why all bullet makers put grooves on their bullets, to increase BC. Oh wait a minute maybe its because they are trying to reduce fouling. Could be that Nosler by not putting grooves on their bullets are trying to both increase fouling and decrease BC. grin
If zeroed at 200 yards, and at 3100fps at the muzzle, there is no BC low enough to cause the bullet to drop below line of sight at 129 yards. The lower the BC, the higher the bullet will impact under those conditions. For that matter, there is no BC HIGH enough to hit below line of sight under those conditions, either.

My friend I tell you what I saw, it didn't make sense to me either, but there you have it. My rifle with a TSX was shooting lower than I expected, yet my friends with a partition was shooting about how we expected. Once bitten, twice shy. grin

My friend I tell you what I saw, it didn't make sense to me either, but there you have it. My rifle with a TSX was shooting lower than I expected, yet my friends with a partition was shooting about how we expected. Once bitten, twice shy. grin

I don't doubt what you saw, I'm just saying there must be another explanation as a lower BC for the TSX wouldn't cause it.

Barnes lists their standatrd .277� 130g X with a BC of .466 and the TSX with a BC of .431, so I'll grant that the grooves reduce BC. But Barnes also says you can get another 100fps with the TSX bullets.

Comparing Barnes #3 top 130g �X� load at 3152fps to a hypothetical 3252fps for the TSX, and zeroing both for a maximum rise above line of sight at 3�, here are the bullet drops at 500 yards:

28.03� Barnes 130g X
26.42� Barnes 130g TSX

Yuppers, to shoot as �flat� as a standard TSX with max loads for each, the BC of the TSX would have to drop all the way to .3897.

The point is, BC isn't the only factor involved in trajectories. A little extra velocity, which the TSX allows, overcomes major decreases in BC. Further, at an effective range of 129 yards and equal velocities of 3100fps, BC doesn't play much of a role at all.

I like TSX bullets, but I wouldn't count on ANY number Barnes publishes without external confirmation.......... We've been down that road, haven't we? JMO, Dutch.
Originally Posted by Dutch
I wouldn't count on ANY number Barnes publishes without external confirmation.......... We've been down that road, haven't we? JMO, Dutch.

Amen
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
... I had loaded a 130gr. Barnes TSX at 3100 for mine, and for his a 130gr nosler partition also at 3100. Now our target for this shoot was a water jug we placed on the valley floor about 150 yards away, and we were probably shooting at a 30 degree downward angle. These rifles were sighted dead on at 200 yards at the range. Any way shooting down on the target, 50 yards less than the range at which they were sighted for should have you shooting a bit high. Not the case with my TSX I was kicking up dirt in front of the target, but yet my buddies was going over the target like you would suspect. ...

Something is wrong here.

I�m assuming you were shooting a .277� because Nosler doesn�t make a 130g Partition in .308�. That goves us the following BC�s:

.431 Barnes 130g .277� TSX (From Barnes� current web site)
.416 Nosler 130g .277� Partition (From Nosler 5th)

The effective range of a 150-yard target at a 30 degree down angle is 129 yards. (150 yards * cos 30 degrees = 129 yards effective range) We�ll round that to 130 yards.

Zeroed at 200 yards with identical velocities of 3100fps that yields the following trajectories at 130 yards:

+1.42� Barnes 130g
+1.43� Nosler 130g Partition

I suspect there was another unaccounted-for variable. Using a bullet with a lower BC and zeroing at 200 yards causes a HIGHER mid-range trajectory. (Which is why the Nolser Partition is calculated to hit 0.01� higher than the TSX.) If zeroed at 200 yards, and at 3100fps at the muzzle, there is no BC low enough to cause the bullet to drop below line of sight at 129 yards. The lower the BC, the higher the bullet will impact under those conditions. For that matter, there is no BC HIGH enough to hit below line of sight under those conditions, either.

As many have discovered, the TSX's advertised BC is rather optimistic.

Casey
Originally Posted by DDP
What Steelie is saying is: he...nor I... nor most everyone who's shot the TSX... has experienced any 'copper problems'. Barnes pretty much licked that with the TSX, the XBT was bad, but the TSX actually fouls less than the Nosler Ballistic Tips I shoot out of my .280AI. By that rational... the E-Tip, with its guilding metal construction, should foul more in my rifles than the TSX. Correct?

The TSX's are foulin' SOB's in my .325 WSM at 2900+ fps. This is from *3 SHOTS*:

[Linked Image]

That said, who cares? They shoot fine. Much easier to get a load for than the old X-bullet it seems to me.

-jeff
What would get me going on E-tips vs. TSX's would be easy availability. There's a local chain called "Bi-Mart" that is a sports, hardware, household stuff, clothing, canned goods, etc kind of place. Anyway they carry reloading supplies, a good variety of them, including Accubonds and Partitions. They don't carry Barnes; for that I have to go to the gun shop, pay a premium price, and they are NEVER on sale. So, if performance is equal I'll choose the E-tip simply because it'll be easier to get, and I'll be able to get it on sale from time to time, and get it more consistantly.

It's exciting. IF they shoot, that is.

-jeff

I think it was 4" TOTAL.

-jeff
Either way I will try them. I am about to place an order through Midway. Price ain't bad either... 3 bucks more than 180 Partitions.
I hope my 300 RUM will like them .
Retumbo and/or RL 25 should work great.
I buy a lot of Partitions at Bi-Mart myself in either Newberg or McMinnville. Most other bullets I either send for via UPS, or else purchase at Sportsman's Warehouse.

AD
Midway shows the e-tips being in stock @ $31.99/50, so I ordered a box to try in the Kimber.

RR
© 24hourcampfire