Home
Posted By: Poot Peak Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/07/09
Sell your ATV's and flatten the belly.............this sucker is badazz!!! I don't have one yet, but it is on my X-mas list. You could haul camp in and out and you could haul critter parts in and out with this cool Rig.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Too much work......
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Too much work......

Exactly!!!!!
WTF...Can I get a "hell No!"

Though, if you could get that in and out of the places I hunt, you gotta be from Colorado. People out there have rediculous metabolic rates.
WTH... You can't get in and out of some of the places I hunt with that thing.
Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
WTF...Can I get a "hell No!"

Though, if you could get that in and out of the places I hunt, you gotta be from Colorado. People out there have rediculous metabolic rates.

Too funny!!!

This contraption isn't for everybody, but I could use it to get in and out of camp, haul water, you name it.

Wouldn't hunt on it though.........that I reserve for my Danners..........
Poot, One of yours or someone's in the neighborhood? I bet the people in Boulder would love that thing!
Originally Posted by Miller
Poot, One of yours or someone's in t he neighborhood? I bet the people in Boulder would love that thing!

Not mine, but I would like to get one. They aren't cheap............about $2500.

You are right about Boulder. Boulder tree huggers would use the thing to haul their friggin kids to school. I want it to haul elk quarters from camp to my truck grin Come to think of it, I could haul kegs of beer around as well..........

If I get one of these bikes I will be the only NRA card carrying member to ever buy one................

Posted By: ingwe Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/07/09
That thing would actually be made-to-order for going up some of the bazillions of closed logging roads here in Montana. And the good part is they are generally uphill at a less than 6% grade....which means once youve loaded brer' deer onto that contraption, its usually a coast out....
BTW, when I used to do that on a mountain bike and ride into some game, almost invariably they stared at me and each other as if to say " who is that idiot fat guy on the bike???" It worked....
Ingwe
Posted By: Huntr Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/07/09
That would be a great hunting rig!! Very cool!
Originally Posted by Huntr
That would be a great hunting rig!! Very cool!

Even better with a well-muffled 250cc engine!
Posted By: JonS Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/07/09
Or a well muscled 250lb engine.
I only weigh 220, but could probably make it climb some hills.
I have mt. biked into a place I hunt deer, they definitely look at you funny, right before they run off, never actually done it with a rifle, but more for scouting.
Will maybe try it this winter, that might be a nice rig for then.
If you get one, send me a PM and I will let you know how it does on does.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/07/09
Different strokes for different folks, I reckon, but my horse would never speak to me again if he even saw that contraption on the ranch...grin.

I don't want to even think of the reaction of the guys I hunt with if I peddled up on something like that...Of course, they questioned the manhood of a rancher who used a calf cradle to work a little bunch of calves instead of roping and dragging them to the fire. Pretty tough crowd - which suits me just fine...grin.

DJ
I've used my mountain bike to scout for deer and get in and out to change game cameras and stuff. Never to hunt with. It's amazing the number of deer that you ride right up on that stand there and watch you go by.
With the USFS closing more roads, something like this would be a very good option to have! I'd have to get some Realtree bike shorts to go with it though... wink
There are many places I hunt where such a rig would work out well. But I'd never shell out $2500 for one, not even close. My game cart cost me about $100.

Or, if one wanted to save some coin, you could get one of those trailers that the yuppies use to haul their kids around, pile your gear on it, and attach it to a $50 bike and presto. You wouldn't have to worry about tipping over either.

Just hope it doesn't rain......

I agree with DJTex. I'll stick with a horse, backpack and a good pair of boots.
I've got one of these: http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/trailer.php?product_id=11

Works great as long as you aren't carrying more than 70 or so pounds at once. Once the weight goes up it get's tougher to balance. I've packed out a couple of elk on nonmotorized closed roads. Helps to have disc brakes on your bike if you want to stop. You can find them used....
Originally Posted by joelweb
I've got one of these: http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/trailer.php?product_id=11

Works great as long as you aren't carrying more than 70 or so pounds at once. Once the weight goes up it get's tougher to balance. I've packed out a couple of elk on nonmotorized closed roads. Helps to have disc brakes on your bike if you want to stop. You can find them used....

Those Ibex trailers are pretty cool also. I have a buddy that has one and he uses it for unsupported trans rockies events.

I like the surley big dummy because its an excuse to buy another bike!! The frameset is about a grand and I could pull parts from some other bikes to build one for a bit less money.

A guy I work with just bought one and I thought it was apretty cool concept for hauling gear in and out of camp.
Take those pack bags off, strap them on your back, and then one could get them to my hunting ground. It would be a PIA carrying that bicycle frame around in Hells Canyon.
Posted By: CLB Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/07/09
Fix a deer hauler to the back and you are good to go!!!!

CLB
Off topic, but calf tables suck.

Back to topic: this is more my kind of hunting rig.
[Linked Image]

I use the models with short ears too, but liked this picture.
...Now THAT is a fine looking hunting rig! I've dreamed of making a pack train hunt out west since I was a lad reading old Cactus Jack's recounts of such a trip into the Bob Marshall wilderness. I'm getting long in the tooth these days for such a trip, and always found myself short in the pocket when younger.
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Off topic, but calf tables suck.

Back to topic: this is more my kind of hunting rig.
[Linked Image]

I use the models with short ears too, but liked this picture.

I like the short ears as well. I have done my share of packing and will keep doing so for years and years to come!! However, the simplicity of a bike is hard to argue with.......the only thing that needs feed and water is the guy turning the pedals grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

olhippie, you should still go on a pack trip. we've taken some guys that were long in the tooth, bent in the back, white on the head.

The bike would be nice to not have to feed. But it is not as mobile as ol'Lucky. At least not with me on the pedals.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/09/09
Poot Peak, has got my vote! Yep, ain't nothin like the mules for high country work and carrying your rump up them Rocky Mountains. Then carring you game and goods back down for the ride in the 5th wheel back to the flatlands.
Every time I see a bike loaded up like that , I remember watching the NVA pushing bikes loaded beyond belief down the trails,, Wouldn't do it myself unless as a last resort, like power or mules better
stone age ROKON...
Hmm, the thing has possibilities. I seem to remember jjhack posting a pic of his bike-haul-camp setup all crammed into a kidhauler like a burley. The rifle fit diagonal in the carrier w/the barrel sticking out a bit.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/16/09
I saw one of those bikes in Issaquah this past weekend. They said it normally retails about $2,300 but was on sale for around $1,800. Around here, you'd have to push it most places and everything is uphill, both ways, in and out.
Posted By: las Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/17/09
Originally Posted by pointer
With the USFS closing more roads, something like this would be a very good option to have! I'd have to get some Realtree bike shorts to go with it though... wink

Bike shorts? Real men ride in the nude.

If I see one, I'm gonna laugh at him.
"my first deer and welcome to it", "deer on a bicycle" by Patric McCmannus comes to mind... lmaool when i read it. the bike thing really works, just make sure you kill the thing first.

Here's the catch Poot.....

Every where I know of a trail that one could actually pedal a bike on--that is good hunting territory--one can also drive an ATV or motorcycle. The places that would ban motorized rigs--like designated wilderness--also prohibit bikes. Maybe a couple exceptions.....

I have two wilderness areas with old trails (former mining roads) that are perfect for a bike--and both places are chockfull of elk and sheep. But it's either a horse or a backpack proposition.......

Casey
Forest Service here has tons of roads that are graveled/maintained year round that are gated/locked during hunting season that are good enough to drive a car down that is also closed to ATV's but not bicycles. Dunnu about elsewhere.

Of course 1/2 the people still drive atv's on them and the other half have a key....
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Here's the catch Poot.....

Every where I know of a trail that one could actually pedal a bike on--that is good hunting territory--one can also drive an ATV or motorcycle. The places that would ban motorized rigs--like designated wilderness--also prohibit bikes. Maybe a couple exceptions.....

I have two wilderness areas with old trails (former mining roads) that are perfect for a bike--and both places are chockfull of elk and sheep. But it's either a horse or a backpack proposition.......

Casey

This is true about designated Wilderness, but there are a number of places across the west that are pending wilderness status that currently allow bikes , but in some cases do not allow motorized vehicles. However, this is starting to change, which is a real bummer. There are a number of places in Montana (pending wilderness areas) that are starting to close to mountain bikes as well. This is a trend that I am afraid we are going to see more of. The International Mountain Bike Association is doing all they can to keep these incredible trails open, but it is a losing battle.

The good news is there a place I often hunt for elk that does allow mountain bikes, horses and people, but does not allow motorized vehicles. There are sections that require pushing the bike, but for the most part it is completely accessible by a fairly strong rider. The hunting is good and it is quite remote if you have the legs to take you there. I have horse packed in here in the past, but think it would be totally doable on a mountain bike. Not to mention you could cover a hell of a lot of ground with just a bike and a gun!!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Now this is a Hunting Rig!!! - 04/19/09
Unfortunately in Colorado, there is not a place that "hunters" on 4 wheelers don't go, even if it is off limits. I can't believe the amount of complete disregard and abuse that is going on.
Originally Posted by Huntr
Unfortunately in Colorado, there is not a place that "hunters" on 4 wheelers don't go, even if it is off limits. I can't believe the amount of complete disregard and abuse that is going on.

Don't even get me started on that topic!!!
© 24hourcampfire