Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Fix a deer hauler to the back and you are good to go!!!!

CLB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Off topic, but calf tables suck.

Back to topic: this is more my kind of hunting rig.
[Linked Image]

I use the models with short ears too, but liked this picture.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...Now THAT is a fine looking hunting rig! I've dreamed of making a pack train hunt out west since I was a lad reading old Cactus Jack's recounts of such a trip into the Bob Marshall wilderness. I'm getting long in the tooth these days for such a trip, and always found myself short in the pocket when younger.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Off topic, but calf tables suck.

Back to topic: this is more my kind of hunting rig.
[Linked Image]

I use the models with short ears too, but liked this picture.

I like the short ears as well. I have done my share of packing and will keep doing so for years and years to come!! However, the simplicity of a bike is hard to argue with.......the only thing that needs feed and water is the guy turning the pedals grin
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
olhippie, you should still go on a pack trip. we've taken some guys that were long in the tooth, bent in the back, white on the head.

The bike would be nice to not have to feed. But it is not as mobile as ol'Lucky. At least not with me on the pedals.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poot Peak, has got my vote! Yep, ain't nothin like the mules for high country work and carrying your rump up them Rocky Mountains. Then carring you game and goods back down for the ride in the 5th wheel back to the flatlands.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Every time I see a bike loaded up like that , I remember watching the NVA pushing bikes loaded beyond belief down the trails,, Wouldn't do it myself unless as a last resort, like power or mules better

"Just another day in Oz!"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
stone age ROKON...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hmm, the thing has possibilities. I seem to remember jjhack posting a pic of his bike-haul-camp setup all crammed into a kidhauler like a burley. The rifle fit diagonal in the carrier w/the barrel sticking out a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw one of those bikes in Issaquah this past weekend. They said it normally retails about $2,300 but was on sale for around $1,800. Around here, you'd have to push it most places and everything is uphill, both ways, in and out.

Rolly
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by pointer
With the USFS closing more roads, something like this would be a very good option to have! I'd have to get some Realtree bike shorts to go with it though... wink

Bike shorts? Real men ride in the nude.

If I see one, I'm gonna laugh at him.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"my first deer and welcome to it", "deer on a bicycle" by Patric McCmannus comes to mind... lmaool when i read it. the bike thing really works, just make sure you kill the thing first.

let me give you boys a lil' tip. you might wanna turn off that engine 'fore you go and change that there fan belt!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Here's the catch Poot.....

Every where I know of a trail that one could actually pedal a bike on--that is good hunting territory--one can also drive an ATV or motorcycle. The places that would ban motorized rigs--like designated wilderness--also prohibit bikes. Maybe a couple exceptions.....

I have two wilderness areas with old trails (former mining roads) that are perfect for a bike--and both places are chockfull of elk and sheep. But it's either a horse or a backpack proposition.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forest Service here has tons of roads that are graveled/maintained year round that are gated/locked during hunting season that are good enough to drive a car down that is also closed to ATV's but not bicycles. Dunnu about elsewhere.

Of course 1/2 the people still drive atv's on them and the other half have a key....

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Here's the catch Poot.....

Every where I know of a trail that one could actually pedal a bike on--that is good hunting territory--one can also drive an ATV or motorcycle. The places that would ban motorized rigs--like designated wilderness--also prohibit bikes. Maybe a couple exceptions.....

I have two wilderness areas with old trails (former mining roads) that are perfect for a bike--and both places are chockfull of elk and sheep. But it's either a horse or a backpack proposition.......

Casey

This is true about designated Wilderness, but there are a number of places across the west that are pending wilderness status that currently allow bikes , but in some cases do not allow motorized vehicles. However, this is starting to change, which is a real bummer. There are a number of places in Montana (pending wilderness areas) that are starting to close to mountain bikes as well. This is a trend that I am afraid we are going to see more of. The International Mountain Bike Association is doing all they can to keep these incredible trails open, but it is a losing battle.

The good news is there a place I often hunt for elk that does allow mountain bikes, horses and people, but does not allow motorized vehicles. There are sections that require pushing the bike, but for the most part it is completely accessible by a fairly strong rider. The hunting is good and it is quite remote if you have the legs to take you there. I have horse packed in here in the past, but think it would be totally doable on a mountain bike. Not to mention you could cover a hell of a lot of ground with just a bike and a gun!!

Last edited by Poot Peak; 04/19/09.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Unfortunately in Colorado, there is not a place that "hunters" on 4 wheelers don't go, even if it is off limits. I can't believe the amount of complete disregard and abuse that is going on.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntr
Unfortunately in Colorado, there is not a place that "hunters" on 4 wheelers don't go, even if it is off limits. I can't believe the amount of complete disregard and abuse that is going on.

Don't even get me started on that topic!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.