Home
Posted By: eclectic WY Antelope--Another Question - 01/04/12
I have kilt antelope in MT and ID. I've got the guns and gear required.

My kid and I have started hunting together again. She is in the East. We would like to try antelope this year. I have a spot to go in MT, but have been thinking this year would be better in WY.

Now to the question. Is there an area in WY reasonably close to an airport that she could fly into without resorting to tiny planes. That is could she book a commercial flight, me pick her up with guns and gear, and then drive an hour or so to hunt with a reasonable chance of success? If so, which airport?
I am not experienced with Wyoming airports, but you might check out the cheyenne area.
Casper.
Kaycee International....... cool

Dober
Cheyenne,Casper, Laramie, Rock Springs,Jackson and Gillette all have commercial airservice.
Some of them even offer a canvas you can put over your head if it rains while the sopwith camel is in the air.....
Casper is your best bet for sure.
In case you were unaware of it, I asked as I do not know if there is an area with a good huntable population within an hours drive of a commercial airport. You see, there are lots of things we do not know innately. Someone has to teach us. Now, I realize your mother forgot to teach you manners, but you are supposed to be an adult and with luck you will pick them up along the way.
Look at area 32 just south of Casper.

ddj
Thanks guys, I will begin looking around Casper, talk to the kid and maybe expand the search from there depending on what she wants to do.
Originally Posted by eclectic
In case you were unaware of it, I asked as I do not know if there is an area with a good huntable population within an hours drive of a commercial airport. You see, there are lots of things we do not know innately. Someone has to teach us. Now, I realize your mother forgot to teach you manners, but you are supposed to be an adult and with luck you will pick them up along the way.

1.You are talking about Wyoming correct? If so if you can draw a tag in any area, if you don't fill that tag you are either a piss poor shot or a lazy sob.
2.I listed the major commercial airports in the state. All but Cheyenne, antelope can be seen grazing along the airport fence. The size and type of airplane is going to depend on the airline and which flight.

So now do you feel any smarter?
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Antelope--Another Question - 01/04/12
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Meaner.............. grin
Would not be so easily offended if I was you. You're basically getting free and valuable information. You could do the same via an outfitter but would pay a hefty sum. Roll with punches, spend some time on the Internet doing research, call Game Bios in WY then come back with questions.A 2 min Internet search would answer all of your airport questions. WY is WY not NY or NJ so you do not have many options.

Driving 400 to 600 miles from the airport to hunt is no big deal out west. Shooting an antelope is not a big deal. I would start looking at important issues such as game care and transportation of meat, cape if taxi, after the shot.

Some very helpful and generous guys on here. A little patience and appreciation will aid you IMO

Wow...some peckerheads. Good luck with that attitude.
Posted By: anie Re: WY Antelope--Another Question - 01/05/12
casper game and fish office, ask for matt 307-473-3400
b nice he will give u a lot of info
shoot straight have fun
if u want u can get 3 tags per hunter , might need a pref pt 4 that

i want to shoot something soon, when does the season open
Casper is the place to be. Probably more pronghons in the general vicinity of this airport than any other anywhere! I remember a hunting/shooting scribe (could well have been O'Connor) writing something to the effect that if Casper were the the center of a circle with a 300 mile radius, two-thirds of all the pronghorns on the planet would be contained therein.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Have you ever landed, or even driven by, Nowood International? 'Tis a sight to behold!

M Bell
Nope, but I do realize I was correct about you not learning manners at your momma's knee.
Seems like you're the rude, crude dude to me.
Wyoming Game and Fish is extremely helpful. More so than any other western state I've applied for tags in and they will even give lists of private land owners that allow hunting for a trespass fee or in some cases I found for free!!!
These guys are giving you some info that took me months to find out on my own. Wyoming was the only state I considered after a month or so of talking to game and fish depts about draws and OTC tags and the such.
Unless you wanna spend major bucks and go after a giant with an outfitter or pay to be on a piece of expensive private land in NM or another state take these guys advice.

JB
Nope, but I do realize I was correct about you not learning manners at your momma's knee.

Don't think you will continue to get help from these guys with this kind of attitude.

Just a thought.

GK

Well you are so very welcome. It's always such a rewarding feeling to be able to offer a bit of help to someone so deserving such as yourself.
I'm sure with the most pleasant personality you have, and your deep appreciation of all the things other people do for you, your visit to Wyoming will be a very satisfying experience.
Be sure and let me know if there's anything else I can do to help...
Oh and I'm sure your daughter will be wholey and totally supportive or your decision to turn down the opportunity to hunt 4 sections of private land in one block a mere 20 minutes from Cheyenne, and about 1.5 hrs from DIA, and the further opportunity to hunt 5000 acres of private land an 1.5 from Scottsbluff,Cheyenne, or Casper and a bit over 2 hrs from Rapid City.
It'll probably help her to understand your position even more so when she finds out that not only was the opportunity for a decent antelope turned down, but also the fair to middlin chance of a trophy muledeer in a nonresident region that is usually about 700 license short of selling out by the first day of the season.
All access free of charge of course.
Good luck with your future decisions.

Oh and it's probably really not a good idea we let her know anything about the missed opps to hunt a goodly amount of private land in NE Colorado that also borders the Pawnee Grasslands...About an hour from DIA....
I wouldnt worry about losing "access" to 4 sections of private. Check out the HMA/Walkin program on the areas near Casper. Lots of units in that area have 100% draw odds, lots of access.

Antelope are about the easiest Western hunt to plan. Finding a place to hunt on BLM, State, Walkin areas, etc. is easy. Check out the Wyoming website for public access.

Dont over-look state sections, I've killed a pile of animals off single sections of state land. Most drive by it, cant read a map to find it, and some of the state land is even posted by irresponsible/unethical landowners. Invest $300 or so and get yourself a GPS that can take the GPSHUNTINGMAPS software and rock on...money well spent.

You dont need to beg any landowner for access to their private to have a quality hunt...and I'd never pay a landowner for access to hunt...wont happen. The only form of "pay" they'll ever get from me is a landowner coupon if I shoot an animal on deeded ground or through the HMA/Walkin hunting program (my wife and I donate $100 each year to that).

I wont subsidize anyone that denies public access to public wildlife...ever.
For your situation, here is what I would do....

Fly into Jackson. They can land some fair sized aluminum tubes there. Just outside the airport there are so many frigging antelope that they even named a chunk of land after them. Google Antelope Flats. Lots and lots of antelope.

Kilt yourself one or two of these goats. The locals will be so happy with you reducing the herd a little that they might even offer you a free meal or two.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.
To those providing helpful answers, thank you.

I had not thought of Jackson. It is not all that far down the road from here. And it is a nice drive too.

I've wandered about Idaho for many years with nothing but a compass and map, but with the addition of software that identifies property ownership, a GPS seems more and more like the way to go.

Dont do Jackson......
I do not understand.
I was being a smartazz.... Casper is your best bet for airplanes and speedgoats.
Now I understand.
Don, I enjoyed the Sopwith Camel vision. Pretty funny.
Some of those puddle jumpers they run up out of Denver a sopwith camel would be an improovement.
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Antelope--Another Question - 01/11/12
No kidding.
I too thought it quite witty and damn funny. The problem is, I asked for help, not redicule.
Grow some skin bud,,,,nobody was ridiculing you. I don't know what redicule means.
I too thought it quite witty and damn funny. The problem is, I asked for help, not redicule.

No body has ridiculed you.... yet...
Too much of a punk to say, "I'm sorry, I did not realize my comments could be taken that way."?

Too much of a punk to say, "I'm sorry, I did not realize my comments could be taken that way."?

Well that's alright now that we know a little bit more about you we can be a little more forgiving.. Your appology is accepted
Posted By: krp Re: WY Antelope--Another Question - 01/11/12
E scouters... are no longer tolerated on the Az local hunting sites. Thankless, entitlement attitudes from 95% of them is to blame... ignorant to the point of not recognizing sound advice is a common issue also.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
E scouters... are no longer tolerated on the Az local hunting sites. Thankless, entitlement attitudes from 95% of them is to blame... ignorant to the point of not recognizing sound advice is a common issue also.

Kent

I have AZ points for antelope...what area should I apply for ? grin
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I would like to hunt muledeer and flying squirrels on the Kaibab. How do I get a license, and can you give me gps coords to a spot where I can be assured of killing at least a 26 inch deer with in the first 45 minutes of my first day, so I have time to do some sight seeing? grin
47M... lots of booner heads in Cabelas and Sportsmans, just harvest one... easy access to Sky Harbor airport.

Kent
Originally Posted by Ranch13

I would like to hunt muledeer and flying squirrels on the Kaibab. How do I get a license, and can you give me gps coords to a spot where I can be assured of killing at least a 26 inch deer with in the first 45 minutes of my first day, so I have time to do some sight seeing? grin

Only if... you have waited 12 years to draw the tag, but never took time to actually visit the unit or scout... or will not be able to visit the unit or scout before the hunt now that you drew the tag because...

You have to work
You have a family
You can't waste vacation
You have softball league all summer
You've never been in the area before, your cousin suggested the unit
You didn't think you would actually get drawn
Now that you drew the tag you will do everything you can to kill a monster, except actually scout the area.
All of your family is dying, except during the hunt week
It's your wife's tag
It's your kid's tag, ya, that's it...

I'll be glad to help.

Kent

laugh Thank you kent, as soon as my cousins wifes brotherinlaws aunt gets thru with her prostrate surgery after the tball game following the local pta bake sale, I'll be sure and contact you for further details.
Originally Posted by eh76
Grow some skin bud,,,,nobody was ridiculing you. I don't know what redicule means.

Isn't that the thing in the scope you use to look at things with?
Posted By: eh76 Re: WY Antelope--Another Question - 01/12/12
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by eh76

Isn't that the thing in the scope you use to look at things with?

That would be reticle wink
reticle-ous????
© 24hourcampfire