Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have kilt antelope in MT and ID. I've got the guns and gear required.

My kid and I have started hunting together again. She is in the East. We would like to try antelope this year. I have a spot to go in MT, but have been thinking this year would be better in WY.

Now to the question. Is there an area in WY reasonably close to an airport that she could fly into without resorting to tiny planes. That is could she book a commercial flight, me pick her up with guns and gear, and then drive an hour or so to hunt with a reasonable chance of success? If so, which airport?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am not experienced with Wyoming airports, but you might check out the cheyenne area.

Steak, It's my favorite vegetable!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Casper.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kaycee International....... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheyenne,Casper, Laramie, Rock Springs,Jackson and Gillette all have commercial airservice.
Some of them even offer a canvas you can put over your head if it rains while the sopwith camel is in the air.....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Casper is your best bet for sure.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
In case you were unaware of it, I asked as I do not know if there is an area with a good huntable population within an hours drive of a commercial airport. You see, there are lots of things we do not know innately. Someone has to teach us. Now, I realize your mother forgot to teach you manners, but you are supposed to be an adult and with luck you will pick them up along the way.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Look at area 32 just south of Casper.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks guys, I will begin looking around Casper, talk to the kid and maybe expand the search from there depending on what she wants to do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eclectic
In case you were unaware of it, I asked as I do not know if there is an area with a good huntable population within an hours drive of a commercial airport. You see, there are lots of things we do not know innately. Someone has to teach us. Now, I realize your mother forgot to teach you manners, but you are supposed to be an adult and with luck you will pick them up along the way.

1.You are talking about Wyoming correct? If so if you can draw a tag in any area, if you don't fill that tag you are either a piss poor shot or a lazy sob.
2.I listed the major commercial airports in the state. All but Cheyenne, antelope can be seen grazing along the airport fence. The size and type of airplane is going to depend on the airline and which flight.

So now do you feel any smarter?

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Meaner.............. grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Would not be so easily offended if I was you. You're basically getting free and valuable information. You could do the same via an outfitter but would pay a hefty sum. Roll with punches, spend some time on the Internet doing research, call Game Bios in WY then come back with questions.A 2 min Internet search would answer all of your airport questions. WY is WY not NY or NJ so you do not have many options.

Driving 400 to 600 miles from the airport to hunt is no big deal out west. Shooting an antelope is not a big deal. I would start looking at important issues such as game care and transportation of meat, cape if taxi, after the shot.

Some very helpful and generous guys on here. A little patience and appreciation will aid you IMO

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Wow...some peckerheads. Good luck with that attitude.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
casper game and fish office, ask for matt 307-473-3400
b nice he will give u a lot of info
shoot straight have fun
if u want u can get 3 tags per hunter , might need a pref pt 4 that

i want to shoot something soon, when does the season open

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Casper is the place to be. Probably more pronghons in the general vicinity of this airport than any other anywhere! I remember a hunting/shooting scribe (could well have been O'Connor) writing something to the effect that if Casper were the the center of a circle with a 300 mile radius, two-thirds of all the pronghorns on the planet would be contained therein.

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Have you ever landed, or even driven by, Nowood International? 'Tis a sight to behold!

M Bell

"You are so equipment conscious...you carry heavy millimeter cannon with you into the field. The American's sense of sportmanship is equated with his ability to master the sport with his purchases, not his skill." --Scottish author unknown--
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Nope, but I do realize I was correct about you not learning manners at your momma's knee.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems like you're the rude, crude dude to me.

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wyoming Game and Fish is extremely helpful. More so than any other western state I've applied for tags in and they will even give lists of private land owners that allow hunting for a trespass fee or in some cases I found for free!!!
These guys are giving you some info that took me months to find out on my own. Wyoming was the only state I considered after a month or so of talking to game and fish depts about draws and OTC tags and the such.
Unless you wanna spend major bucks and go after a giant with an outfitter or pay to be on a piece of expensive private land in NM or another state take these guys advice.

JB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope, but I do realize I was correct about you not learning manners at your momma's knee.

Don't think you will continue to get help from these guys with this kind of attitude.

Just a thought.

GK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1_deuce, 260madman, 1minute, 160user, 21, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,527
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.