Home
If you have some time to kill, check out this video.

Very well done and superb footage. *

There has already been a little discussion about this bear and the guides... They sure seemed (the guides that is) to find a bunch of convenient moose kills.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/4098793/Re_Interesting_potential_conse

And a news release when things got tighter for the Sims team.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/04/20/146070/alaska-hunting-guide-faces-federal.html
Hence the asterisk....*
Monster bear! I have the video tape at home somewhere. Geez the size of those things is incredible.
seems appropriate

[Linked Image]
"Perfect shot, dead in 10 minutes"? I have never shot a bear with archery equipment, but that seems like an awefully long time. Is that normal or expected?
So, has there been any progress in the case against this guide, or is it something that will be stalled for several years while they continue to operate?
Originally Posted by Arac
"Perfect shot, dead in 10 minutes"? I have never shot a bear with archery equipment, but that seems like an awefully long time. Is that normal or expected?

I think it's very normal/optimal.
I smoked a big bull elk through the sweet spot and watched him dance around for at least that long.
Archery kills usually ain't too pretty.
Originally Posted by Salmonella

I think it's very normal/optimal.
I smoked a big bull elk through the sweet spot and watched him dance around for at least that long.

My archery experience is limited to deer and a few hogs. They all expired in a fraction of that time. A real 10 minutes is a long time.
10 mins. on an animal that size is normal. Didn't look like the arrow penetrated all the way to the fletchings so he might of only got one lung. Anyway that's a hell of trophy with any weapon!
God that is a big SOB

Hit looked a little far back, prob why it took a few minutes. Should have shot him again when he stood up. Sissy.
He's huge! His ears look like nubs on that big damn head.
[quote=Arac]

Can't say I've ever shot a bear with an arrow, but I've taken several other critters.

Well placed shot is usually quicker than a bullet (my experiences on animals)
Originally Posted by cal74
[quote=Arac]

Can't say I've ever shot a bear with an arrow, but I've taken several other critters.

Well placed shot is usually quicker than a bullet (my experiences on animals)

Really?

It's my experience that archery gear kills by laceration, the animal must bleed out, usually coughing and choking on its own blood when drilled through the lungs with a sharp broadhead.

A rifle has bone crushing power that also transmits a lot of hydrostatic shock that breaks an animal down hard especially with a high shoulder shot.

Certainly every kill is a bit different.

I've found both bullet and arrow to be quick when lung shot. Deer and elk normally run 50-200 yards then tip over when properly hit by an arrow. It's over in a matter of seconds. Quite often they don't even know they have been hit, they just run off with the herd, then fall over. I don't have any experience on griz though.

Regardless, that bear looks incredible. It's too bad the guides are (supposedly) so shady.

Great trophy!

ddj
Well placed shot is usually quicker than a bullet

Even more so with a black bear.

Double lung a black bear and he'll be lucky to get out of sight.

Originally Posted by aalf
Well placed shot is usually quicker than a bullet

Even more so with a black bear.

Double lung a black bear and he'll be lucky to get out of sight.

That's what I saw on the only archery bear hunt I witnessed. The bear went maybe 15-20 yards before stopping, squirming around and expiring. I think the fellow who pointed out that the arrow didn't seem to penetrate very far was correct. Maybe only one lung got a solid hit. I still think that 10 minutes is a really long time if the animal is hit well.
Great footage! That thing looks like a circus bear it is so fat! Outstanding trophy!
Personally I think that guy and the guide are douchbags.

1) Why is he grabbing for his handgun? He should be nocking another arrow and taking another shot.

2) Why didn't the guide tell him to nock another arrow and take another shot?

3) He did not have the proper set-up with bow and arrow. That penatration was no where near acceptable to me.
+1 could have hit him 2 or 3 times in that time span.
Yeah, lay a great shot in there while the bear is completely unaware, then let him know exactly where the problem is. That is exactly why non-residents need guides. People would get hurt doing what you suggest...
The shot was obviously fatal and the bear had no idea what happened so it wasn't going to go far. Shoot it again and it probably would have run off at full speed - or charged. I dont really care for Jack but in this case he did the right thing IMHO. As for the penetration is this the bear that he illegaly used an expanding head on? I know it shows in the video he's using a ficed blade head but that could have been edited in after he got all the grief for using an expandable (which I believe is illegal for grizz in AK) on the video.
Wow good thing I don't need a guide or your opinion. I have stuck several bears with two arrows and no problem. Its call shot selection. He had a perfect quartering away shot at it that would have ended the story and still not given his position away anymore or less then the first shot did. However he still didn't have good arrow penetration and he was well enough behind the shoulder. Maybe not a clear pass thru but should have at least made an exit to some degree.

Reelman the video like you said showed a fixed blade head, however could very well have been doctored.
Would also explain the bad penatration.
Yeah, bad penetration like failed bullets in dead critters...

Doubt seriously you ever stuck a bear of that size... and probably not the same species, either. A bear that size is a whole different animal from the average Booboo.

I detest the guide's taint on that bear, but it is hard to argue with the killing shot and waiting...
Don't know dick about the outfitter/guide, but Jack is a sportsman - I do know that. Easy to criticize the shot and how it played out, but unless you were there, your opinion is weighed accordingly. Awesome bear.
Following a huge, wounded Kodiak bear this spring I saw it take seven rounds which individually would have killed it... and it kept going for a ridiculously long time. Some critters are just amazing...

I have gotten to watch far more bears die than most, and I thought Jack's bear was a very well done thing right up until they hauled out some CS handgun... wink
Lucky the guide had a rifle. If the bear had charged, that pistol would have been worthless in its current state. It was on half-cock. In an adrenalin state, it could've been easy get confused trying to get it into action.

Bob
Why take the fun out of the hunt??
Brittingham doesn't do much for me.

I've killed 2 bulls and numerous deer. Never had on last even a minute. I did see one bull shot that hung in for 2-3, but I wasn't the one who sharpened the heads, so I don't know what condition they were in. My first bull took 3 lunges and crashed. The second made it 7 feet from where I shot.
No sir you are correct I have not killed a bear that big. I have killed a few that were big enough to have made book. The first up on the Taku about a half mile from Canada. The second in Idaho Inlet. Both I put two arrows into, and both died about 10 yards from where they were shot. The first one was shot at 18 yards and the second was shot at 31 yards.
I thought it was a bit strange that they found him back in the timber, like the guide knew he was there.

They didn't say anything about a moose kill but you can clearly see the bear is lying on one. Hopefully for Mr Brittingham, that hunt was legit but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Either way, what a freakin monster of a bear!!
Wonder if the guide knew he NEEDED a controlled round feed rifle to hunt those dangerous bears?! Didn't he know that going after grizzly with a Remington 700 is akin to taking a knife to a gun fight?
Jack is a great guy and I feel fortunate to call him a friend. To armchair quarterback him from behind a keyboard is a little ridiculous
I'd love to be in Jack's shoes.
He's a hunting machine.

I meant not to stir controversy, but do consider that bear to be among the greatest trophies taken anywhere by anyone in my lifetime.

I've looked at that footage a hundred times.
I sliped out the back door just today, crap there it was the one I have been looking at most all year! But the wind is wrong and I'am on the down slope thou determind I no I should be carefull.But eversteady of nerves I moved on. Then a unexpected animal flushed,I was stone fast afraid to look for it was something was a mis. 10 min later the rabbit moved and I got the pumpkin,My best to date. grin
Ten years ago I guided an archery elk hunt that Jack was on, with 2 of his friends. I had spent 3 days hanging tree stands on water in some killer places. When Jack and his buddies arrived for the hunt they told me to pound sand and that they wouldn't sit in a tree over water. They wanted to hunt on the ground and call the bulls in. Always thought that was cool of them.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Jack is a great guy and I feel fortunate to call him a friend. To armchair quarterback him from behind a keyboard is a little ridiculous

I don't think that he's the one being "arm chair quarterbacked", I think it's the guide that's getting all the scrutiny.
Actually, I think the guys suggesting he should have arrowed the bear again are...

Having backed up serious bear bowhunters I can assure most with experience would consider it ridiculous to advertise to the bear that you are there. I think Jack did the right thing... uhhhhh aside from the handgun, that is!
Pretty ballsy hunt, regardless of the firearms present.

What a monstrous critter. I woulda soiled myself,
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Actually, I think the guys suggesting he should have arrowed the bear again are...

Having backed up serious bear bowhunters I can assure most with experience would consider it ridiculous to advertise to the bear that you are there. I think Jack did the right thing... uhhhhh aside from the handgun, that is!

You might be right.

I also agree on him not shooting another arrow into him. I couldn't imagine the devistation that bear could wreak before he keeled over. He definetly did the right thing not shooting again.
The only thing I know for sure is that's a BFB.
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Don't know dick about the outfitter/guide, but Jack is a sportsman - I do know that. Easy to criticize the shot and how it played out, but unless you were there, your opinion is weighed accordingly. Awesome bear.

Couldn't agree more! Jacks hunts/video's are bar none my favorite to watch. Great bear!
Was this one of the bears that were illegally baited as linked in the other post?
Wow that's a BF bear!

Don't know anything concerning references to the guide but I don't understand criticizing JB for not shooting again. They had an obvious good first arrow hit with an unaware bear (Huge!) who was obviously going to walk off a short ways and lay down. And " ten minutes"? Doesn't surprise me at all with an animal that size. Extrapolating from an 80 kg man and his five liters of blood to a 400 kg animal would give you twenty-five liters or over 6 gallons worth and if the arrow hit just lung parenchyma and non of the big pipes, it's not surprising at all. I'm say this based on assuming that what we saw was what happened and without editing.

I've taken some thirty to forty deer with b&a and it's amazing how some animals can react with a good but less than perfect hit.

That has to be the biggest bear I've ever seen!

Notice the duct tape holding the guide's 700 magazine in place? grin
Caught that...further proof ADL on a hunting rifle is the way to go.
Who f'ing cares.

I remember watching a JB video that he arrowed a monster non-typical that he practically raised/fed/nurtured. Deer couldn't defecate without a trail cam on his azz.
Wasn't he cited for using mechanical broadheads in Ak on a blackie when it was illegal?

I'd rather see one of the neighborhood kids score a great doe or turkey around here. The satisfaction wouldn't come close.
The outfitter (Lodge) JB was hunting with is also a habitual lawbreaker in the fishing side of their business,this is not long after receiving a ticket for doing exactly the same thing on another river. Here's one of their guide's chumming trout with eggs in the midst a stonefly hatch on Alaska's Copper River![Linked Image]
I'll be damned if I'd have given my position away by trying a 2nd shot.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Right there with you, Art. The last thing I would have been doing when that big bastage stood up and turned my direction is be seen reaching for or knocking another arrow.
I thought he said "two minutes," not "ten minutes."
I feel the same way broomd, who cares. I can't believe how many folks idolize this guy, and portray him as such a great hunter. Fantastic bear no doubt about it, but would have rather seen someone take this bear who just isn't filling his (ego), I mean trophy room!
Originally Posted by SevenmmWeatherby
but would have rather seen someone take this bear who just isn't filling his (ego), I mean trophy room!

So exactly just how many guys are hunting brown/grizzly bears for food?

wink
Originally Posted by broomd
Who f'ing cares.

I remember watching a JB video that he arrowed a monster non-typical that he practically raised/fed/nurtured. Deer couldn't defecate without a trail cam on his azz.
Wasn't he cited for using mechanical broadheads in Ak on a blackie when it was illegal?

I'd rather see one of the neighborhood kids score a great doe or turkey around here. The satisfaction wouldn't come close.

Being mostly a do it yourself guy, part of me gets real tired of guided hunters thumping their chests like they were the real hunters that killed the big trophy animals, for if you are in good physical shape and have lots of time and money, filling a trophy room full of big animals really ain't that tough.
The top outfitters know right where to take you and many have specific animals patterned and are camped on them awaiting the arrival of the great guided hunter.
We've all seen the photos of the proud "hunter" posing with a giant animal and sitting in the backround are the dozen guides that found the record animal and camped on him until the trigger man flew in.

sick

I do hate generalizations tho and I do know for a fact that there are some tremendous hunters that use guides too, you just ain't gonna hunt Marco Polo sheep or Afican Lions or Polar Bears DIY.....

Taking a big trophy animal on your own is the ultimate in satisfaction, especially if you can share that experience with a son or daughter even better if they are the ones with the tag.

I've hunted several animals using guides, some of those hunts were physically gruelling affairs that were shared with great guides that made me feel like I was hunting with a long time friend.
I am openly honest in saying that I most likely would not have killed my record book brown bear without my state mandated guide.

I am intellectually honest enough however to say that if I came into a lot of money that I'd be hunting my way around the world using guides too,( I would draw the line on high fenced hunts however) so that makes me a first class hypocrite I guess...

I am intellectually honest enough however to say that if I came into a lot of money that I'd be hunting my way around the world using guides too,( I would draw the line on high fenced hunts however) so that makes me a first class hypocrite I guess...

Yep. Same here.
© 24hourcampfire