Home
Haven't see this posted here...

Have never seen such a deliberately dangerous play in any sport, ever. In an instant a gallon of blood on the ice and sweater.
Murder? Manslaughter? Accident? Unbelievably, some are actually calling this a 'collision' ....an accident.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1718553026246427081
It looks to me to be absolutely without question intentional! I believe he should be charged!
Intentional
Premeditated
Fatal

What’s the question?
Originally Posted by ironbender
Intentional
Premeditated
Fatal

What’s the question?

/\/\ This /\/\

WTBS. I believe he meant to kick, hit him. Not necessarily kill him though. Still should be charged.
Much like a baseball player sliding and trying to “cleat” the bag holder.
X says “ video not available “.

Has it been taken down
I thought the kick looked intentional too.
A Canadian goon that was playing in Europe for a reason. He was trouble on this side of the pond too. He should be in jail right now.
Yeah, your legs just dont do that out of the blue
Hockey players should be very good at controlling where their feet go in such circumstances.
I've seen clips of this in slow motion and the kick was definitely intentional. Leg comes up and then strikes out towards his head/neck. Like throwing a meat cleaver at someone and "accidentally" slitting their throat.
I don't know if he has martial arts training, but that was a classic karate side kick. He did it on purpose. He should be criminally charged.
It is a fluke, at that high sped of skating that he hit him in the neck and cut the carotid artery.
Negros will find a way to kill no matter what the situation. Put a sharp blade on his foot and he will karate kick with it.
Originally Posted by broomd

Have never seen such a deliberately dangerous play in any sport, ever. In an instant a gallon of blood on the ice and sweater.
Murder? Manslaughter? Accident? Unbelievably, some are actually calling this a 'collision' and accident.

Yes, that's murder. When assault with a deadly weapon results in predictable death, that's what you call it. When you act intentionally to bring about severe bodily injury and the result is death, that's murder.

He can't claim as a defense that every player assumes the risk of injury during play, because a karate kick to the throat with a bladed foot isn't part of hockey.

Disgusting. I hope the guy gets charged and convicted. He clearly intended severe injury.
Yep,manslaughter at least,looks like assault and battery that led to a fatality,I think u call that Murder, unless ur a democrat.
I haven't seen it and apparently all versions of the video have disappeared from the web. I've read that police are seriously investigating it so we might be hearing a lot more about it.
That was no accident, he did it with intent.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I haven't seen it and apparently all versions of the video have disappeared from the web. I've read that police are seriously investigating it so we might be hearing a lot more about it.
I had no problem viewing the one posted above.

Scratch that. I must have viewed it just before they removed it. It's gone now.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Just saw it on twitter, still out there. Travesty that the young man died, the instigator should face manslaughter at the very least. Actual murder may not have been premeditated, but the act was.

Just saw it on twitter, still out there. Travesty that the young man died, the instigator should face manslaughter at the very least. Actual murder may not have been premeditated, but the act was.
Manslaughter would be if he punched him, causing him to fall and break his neck. In this case, he intentionally raised a bladed foot to his neck/head area with an energetic kick (thus bringing about precisely the sort of physical harm that a rational and reasonable person would anticipate), which sort of action the law presumes is calculated to cause severe bodily injury or death. That's sufficient intent for a murder charge.
RamZPaul gets it right.

When Bristoe first posted the video it just looked like physics and what can happen in Hockey, but upon reviewing the video, I have only seen one angle, it does look like he tried to get a piece of him too, as well as the original intent to hit the first guy.

It doesn't seem like a Todd Bertuzzi type of intent, or a Marty McSorley intent to injure either, which are on a different level, but it still looks like intent to me.

If true the question should be....how did he make it that far into pro or even junior Hockey?
When I fist viewed the video, I thought it might have been inadvertent, and the result of a missed block on the first player (who I believe was offside). I watched it over and I think any contact with the first player was incidental and it was Johnson who was the target of the block. Petgrave intended to take Johnson off the puck as he crossed the line. Johnson had already altered course to avoid the block and Petgrave was out of position to make any kind of clean block. His response was to try a flying kick instead. It was a deliberate dirty play, with the potential to cause serious injury which, of course, it did. What the end result of the investigation might be, I can't say. One would like to think that the investigation will be impartial and balanced, but I don't know. GD
Originally Posted by greydog
When I fist viewed the video, I thought it might have been inadvertent, and the result of a missed block on the first player (who I believe was offside). I watched it over and I think any contact with the first player was incidental and it was Johnson who was the target of the block. Petgrave intended to take Johnson off the puck as he crossed the line. Johnson had already altered course to avoid the block and Petgrave was out of position to make any kind of clean block. His response was to try a flying kick instead. It was a deliberate dirty play, with the potential to cause serious injury which, of course, it did. What the end result of the investigation might be, I can't say. One would like to think that the investigation will be impartial and balanced, but I don't know. GD
His race will provide him with a massive protective factor with regards to any decision to prosecute or not.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I don't know if he has martial arts training, but that was a classic karate side kick. He did it on purpose. He should be criminally charged.
It is a fluke, at that high sped of skating that he hit him in the neck and cut the carotid artery.
Yes the best way I can describe the kick as in Taekwondo is a front leg side kick. It is a common move in tournament fighting as a checking move (usually), one to stop an attack. As it doesn't have the power of a rear leg side kick or a turning back kick.
The power of this kick is greatly enhanced if it is a running flying kick or in this case a fast moving skating kick.
Granted with a sharp blade on your foot even a standing check kick could cause the damage.
Given that the kick was thrown at a high level, he probably had some training.
In my opinion charges should definitely be filed.
15 years,...manslaughter.
Not intentional
Originally Posted by tzone
Not intentional
Doesn't have to be intentional it was a careless dangerous move.
Can those who have played hockey at any level greater than pond please raise their hand?
Originally Posted by dakota300rum
Not intentional
There's no doubt it was intentional, unless you're saying that someone had planted a chip in his brain and controlled his motions with a remote control device. There's no place in the sport of hockey for karate style kicks to the throat of an opposition player.

Second degree murder. Not manslaughter. Manslaughter is if you punch someone, or push someone, and they fall and land badly, resulting in death. It's when you don't expect serious harm, but somehow death results anyway. That's not what happened here.
Not intentional

He asked if it was intentional. I answered.
Not intentional
There's no doubt it was intentional

I'm saying it wasn't intentional. That in fact does "make doubt."
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Can those who have played hockey at any level greater than pond please raise their hand?

Hand raised.

The guy was hip checked and his leg went up. Ever been hip checked?
Ever been hip checked? Hell, most of these guys probably never went to a game.
I should have said that no reasonable person could believe it was unintentional.
Not intentional

Yes I do agree my intention was to explain what I saw. Do I think he meant to kill him? I do not.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Exactly.
Looks to me like the kicker puts his left arm out and makes contact with Johnsons' team mate just prior to kicking Johnson. I don't see the hip check Tzone is talking about.

Exactly.
What does a hip check have to do with this situation.
Yes I do agree my intention was to explain what I saw. Do I think he meant to kill him? I do not.
Intent to kill isn't the required intent for second degree murder. If I hit you over the head with a baseball bat, but only intended to make an impression on you about what we were arguing about, that's intent enough, since one is held to the reasonable person standard in this regard. A reasonable person knows that a baseball bat to the head is potentially lethal, and a reasonable person knows that a kick to the head/neck area, while wearing skates, is potentially lethal. That's intent enough for second degree murder. The video leaves no room for reasonable doubt as to whether he intended to strike the victim in the head/neck region with his skates. Doesn't matter if he didn't mean to kill him, but only intended to prevent him from accomplishing his objective in the game. He intended to strike him with the skate, and that's all that's required.
The players leg didn't get that high accidentally. He put it there and he moved it in the direction of the other player on purpose. Did he intend to kill him? I seriously doubt it. Was he aware that doing that could seriously injure another player? He damn well should have been.

Hand raised.

Yes.

I figured you were one of probably about two; maybe three.

Exactly.
What does a hip check have to do with this situation.

lol
Intent to kill isn't the required intent for second degree murder. If I hit you over the head with a baseball bat, but only intended to make an impression on you about what we were arguing about, that's intent enough, since one is held to the reasonable person standard in this regard. A reasonable person knows that a baseball bat to the head is potentially lethal, and a reasonable person knows that a kick to the head/neck area, while wearing skates, is potentially lethal. That's intent enough for second degree murder. The video leaves no room for reasonable doubt as to whether he intended to strike the victim in the head/neck region with his skates. Doesn't matter if he didn't mean to kill him, but only intended to prevent him from accomplishing his objective in the game. He intended to strike him with the skates.

I guess we shall see eh?
Intent to kill isn't the required intent for second degree murder. If I hit you over the head with a baseball bat, but only intended to make an impression on you about what we were arguing about, that's intent enough, since one is held to the reasonable person standard in this regard. A reasonable person knows that a baseball bat to the head is potentially lethal, and a reasonable person knows that a kick to the head/neck area, while wearing skates, is potentially lethal. That's intent enough for second degree murder. The video leaves no room for reasonable doubt as to whether he intended to strike the victim in the head/neck region with his skates. Doesn't matter if he didn't mean to kill him, but only intended to prevent him from accomplishing his objective in the game. He intended to strike him with the skate, and that's all that's required.

That explanation makes 'intent' more clear, thanks for laying it out.

Seems to me that something was stated about this instigator being black, that would explain several journalistic outlets I viewed completely downplaying this to a 'collision between players' or accident silliness. Had initially wondered why these things were being said, not so much now.

That explanation makes 'intent' more clear, thanks for laying it out.

Seem to me that something was stated about this instigator being black, that would explain several journalistic outlets I viewed completely downplaying this to a 'collision between players' or accident silliness. Had initially wondered why these things were being said, not so much now.
As I mentioned this act was so careless and dangerous that charges in my opinion should be filed. TRH I agree with your statement. Although I will say that my legal knowledge is limited/involuntary manslaughter ?
[Linked Image from westernrifleshooters.us]
involuntary manslaughter ?
Intent to do serious bodily injury is sufficient intent for a second degree murder charge. That level of intent is pretty clear from the video.

No one in MN plays or has played hockey.
involuntary manslaughter ?
Intent to do serious bodily injury is sufficient intent for a second degree murder charge. That level of intent is pretty clear from the video.
Thanks
RamZPaul gets it right.

This is everything that needs to be said. It was an intentional kick to the face area, and it resulted in the death of a white guy. The offending player was black and will get maybe a hand slap.

T-zone is "dead" wrong.

Hand raised.

That's what I thought at first but I don't believe there was any contact at all with the first player (who I thought might have been offside). A hip check would have been the right move for that player, to protect his team mate with the puck, but he was past the point of being able to make contact. I have delivered and received hip checks. Not at this level and sixty years ago, mind you!
In slo-mo, it looks as if Petgrave may have made contact with the offside player (I think the linesman blew the call) with his elbow, but there was no hip check. I still think he threw the kick because he had missed the block and Johnson was getting past him with the puck. GD.
There was no hip check.

That is a weird assertion.
Originally Posted by 160user

No one in MN plays or has played hockey.

Are most of the posters here from MN?
Originally Posted by luv2safari
T-zone is "dead" wrong.

Could be. It happened once before. Doubtful though.
Clint Malarchuck and Richard Zednik both had their throats cut, Clint never played again, Richard did I think, but was downhill after that. There has also been a number of Achilles tendons and ankles cut, it is just a matter of time until someone creates better safety equipment for the entire body to prevent cuts anywhere on the body. The playoffs last year had the one guy fall (pushed) onto a skate, cutting his face near his eye.

As an aside, with 90+ mph shots, somebody is gonna get a puck in the head/throat area that can easily prove fatal, just a matter of time.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hockey players should be very good at controlling where their feet go in such circumstances.

If they could they would have all their teeth....
Evey check and hit in Hockey is intentional.
Originally Posted by richj
Evey check and hit in Hockey is intentional.
Those are expected, though, as part of the game.
I’ve played the game since i was a wee lad into my late 20’s. I’ve coached and now I’m a happy spectator. I have never seen anything like this . I think that dirtbag intentionally kicked him. I don’t believe he tried to kill him; it was a dirty play from a goon. The clown should absolutely be prosecuted for his recklessness and disregard
One percent of the NHL is responsible for 100% of NHL murders.
T-zone is "dead" wrong.

Could be. It happened once before. Doubtful though.

"Once before"...we're dead even then. grin
After watching Gordy Howe play when he was in Houston,i think he did not mean to kill him.

But after all of the hockey games i have been to i have not seen a players leg go that high,without being on purpose.

Seen plenty of high sticks slammed into the boards that broke the glass and many fistfights but never had seen something like this.

They know that their skates are razor sharp.
I see the WHL (western hockey league) has just made neck protection mandatory.
I'm surprised it took this long, not trying to make light, but....its bad for the game, fans, current players, youngsters starting out.
Originally Posted by 673
I'm surprised it took this long, not trying to make light, but....its bad for the game, fans, current players, youngsters starting out.
Petgrave needs a statue in his honor for prompting this helpful development in the sport of hockey.
Originally Posted by rte

Click on the gear in the bottom right corner of the video posted by rte and choose .25 speed.

The 9 - 10 second mark shows clear intent.

This guy is F'd and if he's not, something is very wrong.
I think he intended to cause interference but things didn't go as planned.

Intentional murder...no

Bad decision...yes
Originally Posted by 673

What's bad? The neck protection or the lack of it?
Too restrictive for what they need to do with their heads turning quickly is what I heard being discussed on a sports show, Jim.
Looks like 2nd degree murder to me
High leg kick was very unusual I thought but not much of a hockey fan.
The Federal Government has just stepped into Professional Sports Safety Standards.
"OSHA undersecretary for Games and Bread for the Masses, Pinkford Pantywaste, has released new standards for the sport of Ice Hockey uniforms and safety equipment. In an emergency move to clean up dangerous sports Pantywaste has boldly assumed dictatorial powers he learned from his mentor, FJB, and is open to "loans" from team managers to fund further studies and buy sprinkles and nose candy for upper management.

(Pantywaste wanders off, mumbling that these regulations will be further expanded into Women's Synchronized Swimming and Curling.)

The new mandated Ice Hockey Uniform must comply with these standards:

Uniform:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Specifications and mandated design:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Intentional murder...no

Bad decision...yes
You may not realize that intent to kill isn't required for second degree murder. All that's required is to intentionally engage in an action that a reasonable person would have understood had the potential to cause serious bodily injury to another.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Too restrictive for what they need to do with their heads turning quickly is what I heard being discussed on a sports show, Jim.

Makes sense.
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Intentional murder...no

Bad decision...yes
You may not realize that intent to kill isn't required for second degree murder. All that's required is to intentionally engage in an action that a reasonable person would have understood had the potential to cause serious bodily injury to another.
I'm going off the " I hope he didn't mean to go that high theory"

It's a shidty ordeal no matter how you look at it. Dirty players are everywhere. It was murder, by definition, but I doubt intentional.

Here would be more manslaughter or maybe 2nd degree. Not sure in UK
RamZPaul gets it right.

This is everything that needs to be said. It was an intentional kick to the face area, and it resulted in the death of a white guy. The offending player was black and will get maybe a hand slap.

T-zone is "dead" wrong.

Cheap shot by a cheap shot artist.
I didn’t realize what the demographics are. Clearly there will be no charges.
It is sad to see how low we have sunk as a society, we are no more evolved socially than we were hundreds of years ago. I pray for him and anyone he may have left behind. As for him I truly believe he will meet his maker at some point.

Homicide? Definitely. Murder? Entirely different question.
Originally Posted by 673

Now that my nephew has gone on to college I don't have any youth in the local association to confirm how long ago it was, but I believe it was three years ago they started making mites wear them and they will continue to be a thing throughout their youth hockey career.

Murder? Manslaughter? Accident? Unbelievably, some are actually calling this a 'collision' and accident.

Yes, that's murder. When assault with a deadly weapon results in predictable death, that's what you call it. When you act intentionally to bring about severe bodily injury and the result is death, that's murder.

He can't claim as a defense that every player assumes the risk of injury during play, because a karate kick to the throat with a bladed foot isn't part of hockey.

Disgusting. I hope the guy gets charged and convicted. He clearly intended severe injury.
That is what You THINK is murder. Yours is not a Lawful opinion
Not intentional
No intent, no murder.
It's amazing. You almost have to respect a guy that wears his racism right on his face. Kinda like those idiots with the tear drop tattoos.
^ ^ ^
Hates the truth...
Sling Blade
Originally Posted by RAM

Homicide? Definitely. Murder? Entirely different question.
Definitely murder. All that's necessary is that he intended to forcefully apply his bladed foot to the deceased's head, neck, region. No intention to kill is required. It is a common error to believe that intention to kill is required for murder.
Originally Posted by RAM
It's amazing. You almost have to respect a guy that wears his racism right on his face. Kinda like those idiots with the tear drop tattoos.

Wth does TRH's posting have to do with racism? Suspect that the only racism present here is the white guilt that will likely preclude actual charges against this thug-on-skates.
Originally Posted by RAM

Wth does TRH's posting have to do with racism? Suspect that the only racism present here is the white guilt that will likely preclude actual charges against this thug-on-skates.

Today calling out bad behavior meets cries of racism..... soft brain morons... leftist gaslighting... RAM, are you a leftist?
Originally Posted by Mac84
I’ve played the game since i was a wee lad into my late 20’s. I’ve coached and now I’m a happy spectator. I have never seen anything like this . I think that dirtbag intentionally kicked him. I don’t believe he tried to kill him; it was a dirty play from a goon. The clown should absolutely be prosecuted for his recklessness and disregard

This is my same opinion. I used to play and watch it regularly, being from Northern Michigan its what we do.... but this just seems to intentional to be just a freak accident. I hope this dude gets whats coming to him. Unfortunately I feel that due to the PC status of our culture, he will get a hand slap and nothing will come of it.

I really hate the world we live in today. I can't imagine what is going to be left for my children....
I’ve been following this since I saw the clip on TV. What a tragic shame that seems so unnecessary. I haven’t commented on this yet for a couple of reasons. I ice skate as well as I pirouette so hockey, outside of field hockey, is one sport that I’ve never played so I don’t feel qualified to make a call. I’m not familiar with the mechanics of ice skating and how appendages react when sliding across the ice but from the video I saw it looked like he intentionally “kicked” higher than necessary with a desire to at least make contact with the other player. I saw an interview by a former NHL player who said that in the past 2 decades the skate technology has increased to the point that he said modern skates don’t resemble the skates we’re used to from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. He went on to say that the modern skates have a “sharp thin titanium” edge on the blade that more resembles a razor blade than a butter knife (like the old skates).
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by RAM

Today calling out bad behavior meets cries of racism..... soft brain morons... leftist gaslighting... RAM, are you a leftist?
he didn't call out behavior
When you post "1% of the NHL COMMITS 100% of the murders" with a photo of a black man in a predominantly white league., you need not be Karnack to read between the lines..
The color of the guys skin has nothing to do with this. Further when you mouth breathers MAKE it a part of this YOU give the Left all the ammunition they need to feed to the media.
That 1% meme has gone viral. It's everywhere.
The excuse of a weak mind. Just everywhere racists hang out.

I have only seen it here.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my parents for being white and not using a condom, thanks Mom and Dad.
Originally Posted by RAM
Just everywhere racists hang out.

I have only seen it here.

You need to get out more often.
Amazing how the racist keep outing themselves.
Originally Posted by RAM

I'm not a racist, just glad I can go out at night to pick up a pizza or case of beer and not get "profiled", then yanked out of my vehicle and beat like Rodney King when I just wanted "no onions". Bonus I can walk down the street in a hoodie, and not get shot for casing somebody's 83 Buick or 50' double wide.

It's a win/win, now I don't have to return fire and kill their azz.

Thanks Mom for not going oral, thanks Dad for the hard work.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by RAM

I'm not a racist, just glad I can go out at night to pick up a pizza or case of beer and not get "profiled", then yanked out of my vehicle and beat like Rodney King when I just wanted "no onions". Bonus I can walk down the street in a hoodie, and not get shot for casing somebody's 83 Buick or 50' double wide.

Your Dad was the internet installer. Lemme guess, your eyes and height are both different than your Dad. LOL
Originally Posted by RAM

When I'm getting money out of the ATM at midnight, I'm not looking over my shoulder for "racists".
He intentionally did a flying sidekick into the guy's head area with a blade strapped to his foot.. Whether or not he meant to kill him is a mute point at this time. If he gets off scott free, it will be for one reason and one reason only, and most of you know what that is.
He intentionally did a flying sidekick into the guy's head area with a blade strapped to his foot.. Whether or not he meant to kill him is a mute point at this time. If he gets off scott free, it will be for one reason and one reason only, and most of you know what that is. It isn't racist, it's a sad truth these days......look what social engineering has done to our big cities.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by RAM

Your Dad was the internet installer. Lemme guess, your eyes and height are both different than your Dad. LOL

Lame, weak, insecure, simpleton, binge poster, sad insider.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by RAM

When I'm getting money out of the ATM at midnight, I'm not looking over my shoulder for "racists".
You should be.
Originally Posted by reivertom
He intentionally did a flying sidekick into the guy's head area with a blade strapped to his foot.. Whether or not he meant to kill him is a mute point at this time. If he gets off scott free, it will be for one reason and one reason only, and most of you know what that is. It isn't racist, it's a sad truth these days......look what social engineering has done to our big cities.

Moot not mute. SCOT FREE ! Now we're denigrating another, in support of explaining why you're not racist. How ironic.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by RAM

LOL. Ain't that the truth!
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my parents for being white and not using a condom, thanks Mom and Dad.

Thanks to my parents as well!
Not intentional

Hand raised.

Fuggin retard
Originally Posted by irfubar
Not intentional

Hand raised.

Fuggin retard

Quit being a pussy. Go hunting.
Play it back at .25 speed.
the second worst thing out of the guys fatal injury is his teammates doing absolutely nothing to the groid. even hockey players have no fight in them? whites thrive on being beaten raped and slaughtered by negros
Originally Posted by mrmeener
the second worst thing out of the guys fatal injury is his teammates doing absolutely nothing to the groid. even hockey players have no fight in them? whites thrive on being beaten raped and slaughtered by negros

This is the dumbest post of the day.

Guaranteed.
Play it back at .25 speed.

In slow motion, definitely looks intentional to me.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by 673

What's bad? The neck protection or the lack of it?
Forgot about this thread.

Guys getting their throats cut is bad for the game, I don't know if the little neck thingy is gonna be enough protection, without wearing one myself, it looks to only cover half of the carotid area.

Many of the players gloves only come a short distance up the forearm so they can handle the puck better, just a matter of time before someone gets their wrists slashed. The skates are sharper than they ever have been.

Guaranteed.
what that means to me is you would be a guy that just stands there with your finger up your azz. if whites do not enjoy negros totally dominating them what have they done about it?

Guaranteed.
what that means to me is you would be a guy that just stands there with your finger up your azz. if whites do not enjoy negros totally dominating them what have they done about it?

I was referring to the line that I put in bold, dipshit. In real time, that happened so fast, nobody on that ice knew exactly what happened.

FFS

Guaranteed.

You may have just proved Rooster7 wrong.

Guaranteed.

You may have just proved Rooster7 wrong.

Yep. I can admit when I'm wrong.

THIS is the dumbest post of the day. His earlier post moved to a close second.
If I were a juror..., Homicide.
For those of you that have a short attention span, the one min version.

The skate that cut the other player’s neck was worn by a man = homicide.

Intentional? Murder? Manslaughter? TBD.
Originally Posted by granitestate1
For those of you that have a short attention span, the one min version.

+1! Thank God JR never caught the 'stupid'....simply telling it like it is.
Happy Birthday broomd.
Happy Birthday broomd.
Belated thanks!
Saw the video the other night, minus the bloody parts of course.

I think it was an intentional act to slow the dead kid down. Read some reports there are numerous NHL players thinking the same thing.

Probably no intent to injure, then again????

I used to skate quite a bit and played some pick up hockey when younger. I've never seen a leg flail around uncontrolled and do that. Skaters tend to know where their feets is.
I said a few posts back about someone dying from a puck to the head.

Watching Hockey last night....a Canuck gets hit in the face with a puck his teamate shot, clearly mangled and hope he is ok, but know he isn't, but shortly after the Canucks defenseman scored with a slap shot that was recorded at 108 mph.
I think a fully covered head and neck area are going to be coming, or they are going to be dealing with more than a few teeth missing.
It was a deliberate high side kick. Charged with manslaughter, but looked more like murder to me.
Originally Posted by shootinurse
It was a deliberate high side kick. Charged with manslaughter, but looked more like murder to me.
It was murder, and not manslaughter. As I said, an example of manslaughter would be a bully pushing someone, and that person tripping over something, falling, and breaking his neck on impact. What makes that an example of manslaughter and not murder is that, while the physical contact was wrongful, it was not intended to do serious harm. Striking someone in the throat/head area with a sharpened blade cannot fall within that category, thus a murder charge is warranted. Not murder one, though, since that would require preplanning, for example, entering the rink with the intention of striking someone in the neck/head area with his sharpened skate blade, and then carrying it out. There's no evidence for that, so second degree murder would be the appropriate charge, i.e., his intention to do serious bodily harm originated on the spur of the moment.
That's all well and good for the USA, but what does British law say?
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Saw the video the other night, minus the bloody parts of course.

I think it was an intentional act to slow the dead kid down. Read some reports there are numerous NHL players thinking the same thing.

Probably no intent to injure, then again????

I used to skate quite a bit and played some pick up hockey when younger. I've never seen a leg flail around uncontrolled and do that. Skaters tend to know where their feets is.

I agree with Valsdad. I played hockey in high school. The only way that one leg would be that high is if both legs were that high, uncontroledly. His action was intentional!
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
The only way that one leg would be that high is if both legs were that high, uncontroledly. His action was intentional!
Exactly. And, since all reasonable people understand the potential serious harm that can result from striking someone in the head/neck area with a sharpened blade, that raises it above the category of manslaughter and into the category of murder.
Yep, at least there are charges of manslaughter pending. Frankly many of us doubted that would be forthcoming given the player profiles involved here.

Agree with 2nd degree murder, but that won't happen. Do you guys know if this will be a jury trial? Assuming that it will be.
Originally Posted by org_Rogue_Hunter
That's all well and good for the USA, but what does British law say?

Good question. How does British law differ from ours?
In socialist PC England, the negro killer will get some big breaks.
© 24hourcampfire