Home
Posted By: Birdwatcher Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Streaming on Hulu (??)

I don’t have tv or WiFi so I get streaming series in bits and pieces on YouTube, sorta like a bits of a jigsaw puzzle.

Having seen bits and pieces of Shogun, it looks really good,,head and shoulders above the original 80’s version.

Yabusige steals every scene 🎬 he’s in.

Posted By: las Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
What are they hunting with it? smile

I read the book.
Posted By: 79S Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Streaming on Hulu (??)

I don’t have tv or WiFi so I get streaming series in bits and pieces on YouTube, sorta like a bits of a jigsaw puzzle.

Having seen bits and pieces of Shogun, it looks really good,,head and shoulders above the original 80’s version.

Yabusige steals every scene 🎬 he’s in.

I really am at a loss for words…
Originally Posted by 79S

Why? This isn't how everyone does it?
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by 79S

Why? This isn't how everyone does it?

I’m trying to understand his thought process. Wants to know about a tv show. But has no way of watching it, so why ask if anyone is watching it.
Needs to confirm the juice is worth the squeeze before spending the next decade piecing it together in 4 minute clips from the Youtube on McDonalds and laundry mat wifi.....duh
Posted By: Higginez Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I’m digging Shogun.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Trying to, very slow
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Yes, I mostly like it but you have to read the subtitles which is annoying. So, you read it more then watch it. Aggreed, a bit slow for my tastes.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I have not seen it yet, but I was reading that on Hulu you can set it up to get English soundtrack. Go into settings and select English as audio. Most shows on Hulu are in English so most of us never selected a language. I can check on this later.
I've got the original on DVD. It is a great show.
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m trying to understand his thought process. Wants to know about a tv show. But has no way of watching it, so why ask if anyone is watching it.

I got curious. Yellowstone got lots of hits here, Deadwood less, Peaky blinders got some. No mention of Shogun.

The other motive was to bring attention to it if folks were missing it.

Anyhow, I got relatives and friends who are like relatives who live in normal houses. At some point while visiting I’ll bing-watch the whole series (I seen all of 1883 this way in one long, dreadful night last summer. OMG it sucked grin)

You’re a generation younger so you might not know James Clavell, who wrote the book “Shogun”, was a combat veteran, he ended up as a POW in the Pacific in WWII, survived three years in a Japanese prison camp. He wrote the book in part as therapy for his ongoing PTSD and to try and get over his hatred of the Japanese.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I've got the original on DVD. It is a great show.

Besides the obvious improvement in production values, the big difference is this was directed by Hiroyuki Sanada, a familiar face from a number of American movies (his best movie of his I’ve seen tho is a Japanese production “The Twilight Samurai”).

Mr Sanada, who plays Toranaga in the show, wanted to get it right, Medieval Japan from a Japanese perspective. I dunno Japanese from a hole in the ground but apparently they’re even speaking Medieval Japanese, as alien as Shakespearean English is today.

Looks like they have made some minor changes from the book. I ain’t seen a scene where Blackthorne tries to commit seppuku (hara kiri??). And rather than Toranaga ordering a retainer and his wife to kill their children to test their loyalty (after Toranaga has their children sequestered away so it can’t happen), in this one Toranaga has one of his offending retainers actually kill his infant son before killing himself, so wiping out his line as well, the bereaved widow being made Blackthorne’s consort, forbidden to kill herself until six months have passed.

Yabu steals the show in the vein of Toshiro Mifuni/John Belushi and Buntaro’s character (Mariko’s husband) is a lot more sympathetic than the book/previous series. The Blackthorne/Mariko romance thing, a central them in the book, ain’t given that much emphasis either (other than the fact they like each other, she slept with him when she thought Buntaro was dead, and Buntaro can sense something’s going on but is forbidden to kill Blackthorne.)

Really worth a look.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Warrior is pretty good, it's on Netflix
Posted By: woodson Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
My wife and I have enjoyed it.
I'm watching. Not bad imho.
Yes.

Anna Sawai is hot.
Yabusige, Blackthorne and Buntaro all in the same scene….

Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
So there's a remake.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
So there's a remake.

Isn't everything a remake these days?
Remake, re-imagine, revise.
Posted By: poboy Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I plan on watching it.
Posted By: Steve Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Been watching it. It's good.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Will probably check it out eventually.

Subtitles get a lot of use in this joint. I need them for the Chinese content, the wife needs them for some of the English shows, especially the British programs, and we both need them for Korean stuff. I read pretty quickly so it only takes a glance for me to get it.

YT has more and more “fresh” programs from overseas. Often we’ll start a series there, then find it’s also available on Viki with no interruptions for ads.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I'll watch it, I enjoy those types of movies.
No
The Drinker definitely recommends it.

My mistake was starting to watch it before all of the episodes dropped. I've been spoiled by streaming TV so much that it's now annoying having to wait for a new episode each week.

Btw, the novel is great. I read it way back when and like most books, it has lots more detail in the story line that they don't have time to include in the series.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I watched about 10 minutes of it . Sucks is being nice .
10 minutes?

LOL
Originally Posted by Huntz

Understandable individual like yourself who have a hard time understanding complex situations tend to pullback and revert to what you know and understand. Your defense mechanism kicked in, you stopped watching and you probably watched something else that was more to your level of thinking.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Yes. Like it better than the original series.
Posted By: add Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24

#invested
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
No

Prob’ly because you have no interest in other cultures….
No

That’s quite the assumption on your part. Also funny coming from a guy who trying to piece together this show on 2-4 minute clips on you tube.
Originally Posted by Angus55
Trying to, very slow

So far the wife and I like it, but I agree at times it’s a little slow. Hopefully the last two episodes have more action in them.
Last two episodes make the slow build up worthwhile.
No

Because I don't sleep on the floor?
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I like it but the actual history it is based on is more interesting.
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=Birdwatcher]That’s quite the assumption on your part. Also funny coming from a guy who trying to piece together this show on 2-4 minute clips on you tube.

Um… the real problem when I wrote that was lack of a “suggestion of comical irony if that were really so” emoji.

Piecing together a show on the basis of numerous clips would most apply to Peaky Blinders. But I’ve pretty much got it down. The best part was Oswald Mosley, pre-war fascist as “Satan himself”. All of interest/familiarity to me as I was raised working class English in the ‘60’s.

I think I’m up to about ten Shogun clips now. Not hard to plug things in since I remember the book (a really good read).

Actually I’m waiting to see if Blackthorne really does give Kiku (??) to a stunned Omi at the end.
No

Exactly, and you insist on A/C and hot water.

Even though three of my grandparents were White I’m still sensitive to other cultures.
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=Birdwatcher]That’s quite the assumption on your part. Also funny coming from a guy who trying to piece together this show on 2-4 minute clips on you tube.

Um… the real problem when I wrote that was lack of a “suggestion of comical irony if that were really so” emoji.

Piecing together a show on the basis of numerous clips would most apply to Peaky Blinders. But I’ve pretty much got it down. The best part was Oswald Mosley, pre-war fascist as “Satan himself”. All of interest/familiarity to me as I was raised working class English in the ‘60’s.

I think I’m up to about ten Shogun clips now. Not hard to plug things in since I remember the book (a really good read).

Actually I’m waiting to see if Blackthorne really does give Kiku (??) to a stunned Omi at the end.

32 inch tvs are 99 bucks hulu is like 14 bucks and you can use your phone as a hotspot. You cannot be that broke..
No

Exactly, and you insist on A/C and hot water.

Even though three of my grandparents were White I’m still sensitive to other cultures.

oh boy, you realize Jim is part of one the most marginalized groups in this country Mr. culturally sensitive?? He is half Alaska Native. AN/AI are the most marginalized groups in this country.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is about the only sub titled far East movie worth a schit . Only the brain dead think FX`s Shogun is worth more than 10 minutes if their time .Of course it does not take much to satisfy some of the mental midgets here . About all I saw of any value was the costuming of the characters .
Posted By: Jericho Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I remember watching the original "Shogun" when I was a kid. The boiling oil torture was very disturbing.
Originally Posted by 79S
oh boy, you realize Jim is part of one the most marginalized groups in this country Mr. culturally sensitive?? He is half Alaska Native. AN/AI are the most marginalized groups in this country.

Ya, I got all of that, I was just hoping he would ask me about my other grandparent, see, three of them were White.

But ya prob’ly ruined it….

…prob’ly weren’t that funny anyway.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/14/24
I think it's quite well done.
I've been wondering about that other grandparent.
I think it's a great show. Takes pains to be authentic (seems to me anyway). All Japanese actors to play Japanese parts.

As opposed to Warrior on Prime about Chinese in CA in the 1800's. All flavor of Asians playing Chinese parts, along with graphic homosexuality and retarded storylines and impossible fight scenes.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I've been wondering about that other grandparent.

….he was White too 🙂
Posted By: 79S Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/15/24
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is about the only sub titled far East movie worth a schit . Only the brain dead think FX`s Shogun is worth more than 10 minutes if their time .Of course it does not take much to satisfy some of the mental midgets here . About all I saw of any value was the costuming of the characters .

Says the guy struggling to understand this show and stopped watching after 10 minutes. You acting out like you are is completely acceptable.
Originally Posted by 79S

Says the guy struggling to understand this show and stopped watching after 10 minutes. You acting out like you are is completely acceptable.

I hate to be unkind, but Huntz is one of the downsy accounts on instagram
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I think it's a great show. Takes pains to be authentic (seems to me anyway). All Japanese actors to play Japanese parts.

Japanese attitudes too. Japanese attitudes towards sex were a lot more matter-of-fact, judged or not judged by a different code of ethics. In this Japanese version Mariko and Blackthorne like each other, so when she hears her husband Buntaro is dead she sneaks into Blackthorne’s room and sleeps with him, sneaks out before dawn.

Adds tension to the plot to be sure, but it’s not the central theme as it was in the American version.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/15/24
I liked and enjoyed the book written in English, and it would be nicer watching the series not needing to read the captions.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Anybody watching Shogun? - 04/15/24

Let me suggest a few:

Red Cliff (C)
The Great Battle (K)
The Grand Heist (K)
The War of the Arrows (K)
The Admiral: Roaring Currents (K)
All of the Detective K movies from Korea
The Assassins (K)
A Hard Day (K)
Suspect (K)
The Man from Nowhere (K)
The Age of Blood (K) (don’t be put off by the comic-book introduction)

Not all qualify as “Godfather” quality, but all were enjoyable, some are educational with regard to Asian history.
Originally Posted by 79S
32 inch tvs are 99 bucks hulu is like 14 bucks and you can use your phone as a hotspot. You cannot be that broke..

Thanks for the suggestion, seriously. I don’t have streaming, TV channels etc because I ain’t ready yet to become some old guy sitting at home alone watching TV. So instead I’m some old guy sitting at home alone looking at a crapload of YouTubes and getting on the ‘Fire 🙂 Actually, I ain’t at the house much.
© 24hourcampfire