Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Streaming on Hulu (??)

I don’t have tv or WiFi so I get streaming series in bits and pieces on YouTube, sorta like a bits of a jigsaw puzzle.

Having seen bits and pieces of Shogun, it looks really good,,head and shoulders above the original 80’s version.

Yabusige steals every scene 🎬 he’s in.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What are they hunting with it? smile

I read the book.

Last edited by las; 04/13/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Streaming on Hulu (??)

I don’t have tv or WiFi so I get streaming series in bits and pieces on YouTube, sorta like a bits of a jigsaw puzzle.

Having seen bits and pieces of Shogun, it looks really good,,head and shoulders above the original 80’s version.

Yabusige steals every scene 🎬 he’s in.

I really am at a loss for words…

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

Why? This isn't how everyone does it?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by 79S

Why? This isn't how everyone does it?

I’m trying to understand his thought process. Wants to know about a tv show. But has no way of watching it, so why ask if anyone is watching it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Needs to confirm the juice is worth the squeeze before spending the next decade piecing it together in 4 minute clips from the Youtube on McDonalds and laundry mat wifi.....duh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m digging Shogun.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Trying to, very slow

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, I mostly like it but you have to read the subtitles which is annoying. So, you read it more then watch it. Aggreed, a bit slow for my tastes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not seen it yet, but I was reading that on Hulu you can set it up to get English soundtrack. Go into settings and select English as audio. Most shows on Hulu are in English so most of us never selected a language. I can check on this later.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've got the original on DVD. It is a great show.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m trying to understand his thought process. Wants to know about a tv show. But has no way of watching it, so why ask if anyone is watching it.

I got curious. Yellowstone got lots of hits here, Deadwood less, Peaky blinders got some. No mention of Shogun.

The other motive was to bring attention to it if folks were missing it.

Anyhow, I got relatives and friends who are like relatives who live in normal houses. At some point while visiting I’ll bing-watch the whole series (I seen all of 1883 this way in one long, dreadful night last summer. OMG it sucked grin)

You’re a generation younger so you might not know James Clavell, who wrote the book “Shogun”, was a combat veteran, he ended up as a POW in the Pacific in WWII, survived three years in a Japanese prison camp. He wrote the book in part as therapy for his ongoing PTSD and to try and get over his hatred of the Japanese.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I've got the original on DVD. It is a great show.

Besides the obvious improvement in production values, the big difference is this was directed by Hiroyuki Sanada, a familiar face from a number of American movies (his best movie of his I’ve seen tho is a Japanese production “The Twilight Samurai”).

Mr Sanada, who plays Toranaga in the show, wanted to get it right, Medieval Japan from a Japanese perspective. I dunno Japanese from a hole in the ground but apparently they’re even speaking Medieval Japanese, as alien as Shakespearean English is today.

Looks like they have made some minor changes from the book. I ain’t seen a scene where Blackthorne tries to commit seppuku (hara kiri??). And rather than Toranaga ordering a retainer and his wife to kill their children to test their loyalty (after Toranaga has their children sequestered away so it can’t happen), in this one Toranaga has one of his offending retainers actually kill his infant son before killing himself, so wiping out his line as well, the bereaved widow being made Blackthorne’s consort, forbidden to kill herself until six months have passed.

Yabu steals the show in the vein of Toshiro Mifuni/John Belushi and Buntaro’s character (Mariko’s husband) is a lot more sympathetic than the book/previous series. The Blackthorne/Mariko romance thing, a central them in the book, ain’t given that much emphasis either (other than the fact they like each other, she slept with him when she thought Buntaro was dead, and Buntaro can sense something’s going on but is forbidden to kill Blackthorne.)

Really worth a look.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Warrior is pretty good, it's on Netflix

Last edited by Esox357; 04/14/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I have enjoyed it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm watching. Not bad imho.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes.

Anna Sawai is hot.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yabusige, Blackthorne and Buntaro all in the same scene….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So there's a remake.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
So there's a remake.

Isn't everything a remake these days?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1Longbow, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,321
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.