Home
NASA & THE BIBLE

Thought this was pretty amazing and interesting !

For all the scientists out there, and for all the students who have a hard time convincing these people regarding the truth of the Bible, here' something that shows God's awesome creation, and that He is still in control.

Did you know that the sp ace program is busy proving that what has been called A 'myth ' in the Bible is true?

Mr. Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland, and a consultant in the space program, relates the following development

I think one of the most amazing things that God has done for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Green Belt, Maryland ..

They were checking out where the positions of the sun, moon, and planets would be 100 years and 1,000 years from now.. We have to know this so we won't send up a satellite and have it bump into something later on in its orbits.

We have to lay out the orbits in terms of the life of the satellite and where the planets will be so the whole thing will not bog down.

They ran the computer measurement back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt.. The computer stopped and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong with either the information fed into it or with the results as compared to the standards.

They called in the service department to check it out and they said, "What's wrong?" Well, they found there is a day missing in space in elapsed time.

They scratched their heads and tore their hair out. There was no answer.

Finally, a Christian man on the team said, "You know, one time I was in Sunday School and they talked about the sun standing still." While they didn't believe him,they didn't have an answer either,so they said,"Show us." He got a Bible and went to the book of Joshua where they found a pretty ridiculous statement for any one with 'common sense.'! There they found the Lord saying to "Joshua, Fear them not, I have delivered them into thy hand; there shall not a man of them stand before Thee."

Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy! And if darkness fell, they would overpower them. So, Joshua asked the Lord to make the sun stand still! That's right.. 'The sun stood still and the moon stayed and lasted not to go down about a whole day!' (Joshua 10:12-13)

The astronauts and scientists said, "There is the missing day!" They checked the computers going back into the time it was written and found it was close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes, not a whole day.

They read the Bible,! and there it was about (approximately) a day. These little words in the Bible are important, but they were still in trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes, you'll still be in trouble
1000 years from now.

Forty minutes had to be found because it can be multiplied many times over in orbits.. As the Christian employee thought about it, he remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said the sun went BACKWARDS.

The scientists told him he was out of hi s mind, but they got out the Book and read these! words in 2 Kings that told of the following story: Hezekiah, on his death bed, was visited by the prophet Isaiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah asked for a sign as proof.. Isaiah said, "Do you want the sun to go ahead 10 degrees?" Hezekiah said,"It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees but let the shadow return backward 10 degrees."

Isaiah spoke to the Lord, and the Lord brought the shadow ten degrees BACKWARD! Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes!

Twenty-three hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, plus 40 minutes in Second Kings make the missing day in the universe! Isn't it amazing?

References: Joshua 10:8, 12,13 and 2 Kings 20:9-11.

"Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland"

Curtis Engine is a back-up generator manufacturer.
that is proof to you that NASA supports the Bible?

IS that all you've got?
Curtis Engine and his missing day theory?
no wonder the Christian faith is dwindling. Dolts like you who dig up some internet hoax from 2004 about a crusty old man who builds backup generators and calls himself a conultant. Harold was involved in diesel engine operations at Goddard and had NO involvement with any computer operations.
Thats it.
idiotic ramblings. you are DESPERATE!

The story about the "missing day" of the Book of Joshua being proven by NASA researchers at the Goddard Spaceflight Center is an urban legend. The legend has its origins in the work of Charles A.L. Totten, a Yale military science instructor who came up with calculations allegedly proving "Joshua's missing day" in his 1890 book Joshua's Long Day and the Dial of Ahaz. It was later turned into an urban legend about NASA and Goddard Spaceflight Center by Harold Hill, former president of the Curtis Engine Company of Baltimore, Maryland, now deceased.

The Johnson Space Center's Space Educator's Handbook authored by Jerry Woodfill has a section on hoaxes with a page mentioning the story, citing it as appearing in the 1970 Evening World.

Amazon.com shows the publication date (evidently a reprinting) of Totten's book to be in December of 1968. I suspect that Hill read Totten's book or heard an account of it and later transposed it in his mind onto the work he was doing as a NASA subcontractor.

please....
this close to the spring soltice could you come up with something a little better to stimulate me?

Pretty cool...despite what the Al Qeida member on the site rambles on about.
Ringworm,

Mickey is one of the most respected members here. He never stoops to calling names or internet chest-pounding - like you. Of all the folks here, he is one guy I'd like to meet. Whether you believe this post or not doesn't matter. Your put-downs of him are uncalled for and just plain wrong. A real man would apologize but I have a feeling you won't.

RH
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Ringworm,

Mickey is one of the most respected members here. He never stoops to calling names or internet chest-pounding - like you. Of all the folks here, he is one guy I'd like to meet. Whether you believe this post or not doesn't matter. Your put-downs of him are uncalled for and just plain wrong. A real man would apologize but I have a feeling you won't.

RH

Thank you. Since I have Ringworm on ignore (for obviously good reason) had no idea, or interest, in what he said. I do appreciate your kind words more than you know. As for meeting me you aren't all that far away. My shop door is always open and I'm a pretty easy touch for lunch any time you want to stop by.
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, if this is true i don't really know. Every time a Christian has a theory on the bible some atheist comes up with sometime to counter. My thinking is believe what you like and then die and find out who is right.
it aint about belief. in this instance and the big picture.
Its about FACTS.
but i shouldnt be surprised that a group of people who base thier life on a myth would buy into an internet hoax as well.
I didnt insult him. he reposted drivle. thats not an insult to him.
but if he's insulted because i called the drivle what it is then i cant help that.
I'm not saying anything about you Ring , you are entitled to your belief and so is Mickey. Friction or Nonfiction
Ringworm,

You my friend have no respect. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and your thoughts are welcome, but when you come round treating folks like M. Coleman as in the above, you cross the line. Just clean it up a bit....or go find another site. Seems you need a Dale Carnegie refresher.

M. Coleman probably got this in an email and posted it here harmlessly. To echo Himmelrr, he is well respected and liked in this community. You're wearing out your welcome in a big way when you treat folks like this. Again, You,Your thoughts, your opinions are welcome but your atitude is not.
By the way, this community is very flexible, an appology goes along way, and there is no time like the present to work on some character flaws you may struggle with. If you treat folks like this on the internet, I have serious concerns for those in your immediate influence. For their sakes take a good look at yourself, reflect on the kind of folks that mean the most to you and try to be like one of them. By the way, what kind of folks do you look up to?
Ringworm has NOTHING to apologize for here. While he and I are 180 degrees apart on our beliefs, here he has only pointed out a complete hoax. Hoaxes such as this do NOTHING to solidify one's beliefs, and, more often than not, they only serve to increase one's doubt of their faith in times of struggle when the hoax comes to light.

Presenting something like this as a "proof" adds fuel for the non-believers. It doesn't drive them nuts. Ringworm has posted some bile that should require an apology at times, this isn't one of them.
DanD, Ringworm could have posted a link to NASA's own website on this topic, NASA was a lot more respectful in it's explanation and much less toxic than what Ringworm decided to post.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970325g.html

Maybe one of these days someone will ask Ringworm to post his beliefs about God?
Per the flesh eating parasitic infection:

Per DanD
Ringworm has NOTHING to apologize for here.

We all are entitled to our opinions. Mine does not agree with yours.

Originally Posted by NeBassman

Maybe one of these days someone will ask Ringworm to post his beliefs about God?

They have! Many times! There's no answer other than something to the effect that his god is better than my God.

Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
Ringworm,

You my friend have no respect. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and your thoughts are welcome, but when you come round treating folks like M. Coleman as in the above, you cross the line. Just clean it up a bit....or go find another site. Seems you need a Dale Carnegie refresher.

M. Coleman probably got this in an email and posted it here harmlessly. To echo Himmelrr, he is well respected and liked in this community. You're wearing out your welcome in a big way when you treat folks like this. Again, You,Your thoughts, your opinions are welcome but your atitude is not.

You're right, I did get this in an e-mail and, while I knew the content of the Scriptures referenced, I did not know the rest was a hoax. I did suspect that the post would attract the responses that it did. I guess I'm a troll to some degree???? wink
Originally Posted by DanD

Presenting something like this as a "proof" adds fuel for the non-believers. It doesn't drive them nuts. Ringworm has posted some bile that should require an apology at times, this isn't one of them.

ringworm said:
Thats it.

i dont give a chit when that kinda stuff is used when arguing with me, i deal with worse on a regular basis......but Mickey has proven time and time again that he is a gentleman and im one member that firmly believes he should be treated as such..........
Well said rattler, those are my exact thoughts.
[quote=MColeman I guess I'm a troll to some degree???? wink [/quote]

LOL....every once in awhile, it's fun to dwell under a bridge.
I find NASA's response a bit puzzling: "The major dynamical component of any planet's orbital motion is determined by solving an equation (force is equal to the mass times the acceleration) which is the perhaps the most fundamental in classical physics. The validity and predictive power of this equation are well documented and can be seen every day: a recent example is the lunar eclipse that was visible to much of the world last Sunday. This calculation would not cover any time before the present, so some missing day many centuries ago, if it had occurred, could not be uncovered with this method."

If the calculation works for the present and future time, it should work just as well for times past.

I do believe NASA explains it much better with the next line: "In general, trying to prove events that are said to have occurred in the Bible, using scientific principles, doesn't work."

Although they should have stated, "...things that occurred in the Bible..."

God doesn't need the laws of physics.
RINGWORM just earned my *ignore* feature and has joined my very small collection.

He/she/it is an aggrevation that does not need my attention. Nor will he/she/it get my attention.

Much of the attraction of the Campfire is our mutual respect for each other. Ringworm apparently does not recognize this and he/she/it exists only as an irritant.

If Rick doesn't choose to kick this ingrate off the Campire, I can at least choose not to read his childish rants and totally negative comments.

Steve

i dont give a chit when that kinda stuff is used when arguing with me, i deal with worse on a regular basis......but Mickey has proven time and time again that he is a gentleman and im one member that firmly believes he should be treated as such.......... [/quote]

Yup!
Ringworm is typical of the schoolhouse bully. He makes attempts to mask his own fears, rather than overcome them, so no one might expect. He does this by trying to act strong by striking out at those easy marks percieved as weaker; those who will not strike back.

I feel sorry for him. My hope is that he manages to put down that fearfullness one day and realize God can and will comfort him. There is always hope...

bhtr
Originally Posted by dogzapper

RINGWORM just earned my *ignore* feature and has joined my very small collection.

He/She is an aggrevation that does not need my attention.

Steve

Well said, Steve.

BTW happy Resurrection day!
smile
Originally Posted by AI_fool
[quote=MColeman I guess I'm a troll to some degree???? wink

LOL....every once in awhile, it's fun to dwell under a bridge.[/quote]

I think that 'pass through' might be a more apt phrase that 'dwell'. smile

As a simple believer I have no problem accepting that God is not confined by the laws of physics. Just how He might accomplish the things spoken of in Scripture is far beyond my comprehension even if they were explained. I can't even understand 3-phase power so why waste breath trying to get me to understand something of the magnitude of God's reasoning and ability?

I believe....but cannot prove it to another.
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by dogzapper

He/She is an aggrevation that does not need my attention.

Steve

Well said, Steve.

BTW happy Resurrection day!
smile

Friend Tim,

Same back at you, buddy. Karen and I will be off to Bible Study & Prayer Group at Christ the King Catholic Church in a few minutes. We really love Holy Week and Glorious EASTER!!!

We're helping with the RCIA Reception before and after Vigil Easter Mass this year. It'll be a late night (morning??), but it will be worth it.

God Bless You,

Your friend Steve

Mickey, in your manners and gentlemanly (if that's a word)responses, I think you prove your beliefs in every post. I don't think 3-phase power can be explained by NASA either. smile
How do you put someone on 'ignore'?

skywalker
Click on their username. Then click on user profile and the ignore option is available.
Originally Posted by A10AII
Mickey, in your manners and gentlemanly (if that's a word)responses, I think you prove your beliefs in every post. I don't think 3-phase power can be explained by NASA either. smile

Lest anyone think too highly of me let me assure you that when I hit my thumb with a hammer you might be hard pressed to picture me as a Bible-Thumper. However, when I'm in public and dealing with others, I try to stay on my toes. Words spoken (written) by one held in low esteem do not raise my ire and if they were held in high esteem their comments would make me sit back and ask myself, "Is it true what they say of me?". If I decide their criticisms were merited the onus is on me, not them, if I am to represent The Christ on this earth.

When I was younger I was of a higher temper but as I've aged I've come to realize that anger is a lot of trouble. Getting mad over what some post is like bobbing for apples in a septic tank.....it just ain't worth it.
Mickey, what one does in private at a bad moment means little to me......smacking your thumb with a hammer qualifies as a bad moment and ive got alot of awe for someone that can keep their composure at such a time but never fault someone that doesnt....i do it often myself......but as far as this forum goes i really havent seen yah treat ppl with disrespect even when yah dont agree with them and and i personally prefer that they give yah the same.......
Originally Posted by rattler
Mickey, what one does in private at a bad moment means little to me......smacking your thumb with a hammer qualifies as a bad moment and ive got alot of awe for someone that can keep their composure at such a time but never fault someone that doesnt....i do it often myself......but as far as this forum goes i really havent seen yah treat ppl with disrespect even when yah dont agree with them and and i personally prefer that they give yah the same.......

Thanks, Sheridan. By the way, did the maypops ever come up?

A lot of the treatment of others simply stems from what we in the South call 'good manners' or, in our terms, 'being raised right'.
messing with the seeds.....did some with out stratification and they didnt come up.....will be taking the ones i put in the fridge shortly and trying them.....
Who on this forum doesn't cuss or swear in a bad moment? Hey Mick i ask a question to you a couple of days back but don't know if you got it. What speed do you run you lathe when using a carbide chamber reamer?

He/she/it is an aggrevation that does not need my attention. Nor will he/she/it get my attention.

Much of the attraction of the Campfire is our mutual respect for each other. Ringworm apparently does not recognize this and he/she/it exists only as an irritant.

his choice of appellation, his avatar, and his generally shrill demeanor all signal an emotionally damaged individual seeking attention, or someone who is possessed of a childish nature and enjoys their own attempts to "shock" others...

i have an intelligent and gifted 55 yr old cousin who is much this way... she will say anything to cause her parents distress... her folks, and her brother are salt of the earth types...

she owns and maintains a successful professional practice... her parents love her dearly, paid for her schooling, paid for her professional facilities and equipment... she commonly wishes them dead and does her best to kill them with ridicule, scorn, and her own self destructive tendencies.....

been too long since i've lifted their whole family situation in prayer... i'll do it now... for them, and for the person behind ringworm's facade.....
But the length of a day has to do only with the rotation of the Earth, right, not the position of any planet in its orbit?

Sounds to me like the folks doing the calculations wanted to be able to make statements about the positions of the planets relative to the position of the Sun, not statements about which way those planets were facing.
Originally Posted by ringworm
I didnt insult him.

Umm . . .

Originally Posted by ringworm
Dolts like you who

Is not an insult?

Maybe dolts like you deserve to get put on "ignore."

BMT
Why don't we all put him on "ignore?"
I believe the Bible but I will say that I heard this story at least 30 years ago when I was a small boy.

As that the day depends only on the rotation of the Earth, I just don't see any possible way that a computer program could tell if sometime in the distant past it stopped moving for a few hours.
[quote=ringworm
IS that all you've got?
Dolts like you
idiotic ramblings.
you are DESPERATE!

I don't know these sound like insults to me.

please....
this close to the spring soltice could you come up with something a little better to stimulate me?

Believe it or not it is not about you, the spelling is "solstice".

[/quote]

What I really don't understand is your need to be so obnoxious. I am a non-believer, atheist, agnostic or whatever term people want to use, but from the tone of posts I would much rather spend the afternoon bull-[bleep] with Coleman than with you.
Mickey,

You gave Biblical references - can you please provide ANY NASA references that such a thing happened? Other than an anecdote from a man (no doubt a believer) who SAYS it happened?

I'll bet - what you wish to bet - that this NASA story is fiction. And - I'll also bet - that NASA has NEVER found what this man claims they found.

It's just another made-up story - I'll bet.

Till - NASA says otherwise.

Awaiting some NASA or scientific confirmation such a finding was ever studied and confirmed.
Originally Posted by bea175
Who on this forum doesn't cuss or swear in a bad moment? Hey Mick i ask a question to you a couple of days back but don't know if you got it. What speed do you run you lathe when using a carbide chamber reamer?

Yes, I did answer you. I don't have a carbide reamer but normally chamber at 260 rpm w/HSS reamers using a Gre-Tan barrel flushing system. Excellent finish.
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Mickey,

You gave Biblical references - can you please provide ANY NASA references that such a thing happened? Other than an anecdote from a man (no doubt a believer) who SAYS it happened?

I'll bet - what you wish to bet - that this NASA story is fiction. And - I'll also bet - that NASA has NEVER found what this man claims they found.

It's just another made-up story - I'll bet.

Till - NASA says otherwise.

Awaiting some NASA or scientific confirmation such a finding was ever studied and confirmed.

Brian, it appears to be a hoax which is pointed out earlier. I don't begin to think I can convince a person who is convinced that he cannot be convinced.
I don't begin to think I can convince a person who is convinced that he cannot be convinced.
Well, you convinced me. wink
I do have an article from a Reader's Digest book published in 1947 that gives seven reasons why some scientists believe in God. I think I may start posting them one at a time. Taken at face value they do a good job of refuting claims of evolutionists that new species arise though the evolutionary process.
Its not just the bible that speaks of the sun standing still.

From the Norse Edda

"No knowledge she [the sun] had where
her home should be,
The moon knew not what was his,
The stars knew not where their stations were.
Then the gods set order among the heavenly bodies"

From the Finnish Kalevala

"Even birds grew sick and perished,
men and maidens, faint and famished,
perished in the cold and darkness,
from the absence of sunshine..
from the absence of moonlight...
But the wise men of the Northland
could not know the dawn of morning,
for the moon shines not in season
nor appears the sun at midday,
from their stations in the sky-vault."

This is why I have always questioned a person that says the bible is the only true word of God. The bible says God created all man and in that all languages in theory. So to say that another culture with a similar believe but do to thier different geographical location and language is not right in their belief to me is wrong.

Originally Posted by johnw

his choice of appellation, his avatar, and his generally shrill demeanor all signal an emotionally damaged individual seeking attention, or someone who is possessed of a childish nature and enjoys their own attempts to "shock" others...

i have an intelligent and gifted 55 yr old cousin who is much this way... she will say anything to cause her parents distress... her folks, and her brother are salt of the earth types...

she owns and maintains a successful professional practice... her parents love her dearly, paid for her schooling, paid for her professional facilities and equipment... she commonly wishes them dead and does her best to kill them with ridicule, scorn, and her own self destructive tendencies.....

been to long since i've lifted their whole family situation in prayer... i'll do it now... for them, and for the person behind ringworm's facade.....

Some people just play for the other team.
And how are the positions of other planets and the moon supposed to interfere with a satelite that is just above the Earth's atmosphere? confused

ringworm-

The Christian faith is not dwindling nor will it ever; to call it a myth shows you are lacking a great deal of information and/or are simply letting popular culture tell you what is real. That has proven very dependable.

Ever hear of the anthropic principle? Ever hear of 300 prophecies concerning Christ in the Greek version of the Old Testament written circa 300 B.C. being fulfilled perfectly 300 years later by a man call Jesus; that's not to mention many others. It's a matter of secular record too by the way.

Or, perhaps you can explain rationally why if the universe is a cosmic accident, there is a perfect order to it, an intricate underpinning of physical laws and constants.

I could go on but only if you ask seriously. In the mean time perhaps it would be wiser to be less derisive and more curious about what you don't know.

MColeman, my good man, let me point you to the website, "Reasons to Believe". There you will find astophysicist Hugh Ross, other scientists, and even a philosopher or two who are evangelical Christians because......that's where the evidence has led them.

Ross has written a series of books that are a tough chew for most but very interesting. Kenneth Samples has written a tremendous book on Christian apologetics.
The Jews don�t believe the prophecies were fulfilled and their folks wrote em and the perfect order of the universe as explained by Einstein breaks down on a sub atomic level. They�re still working on that one but I�m hoping for a unification theory in my lifetime.

There�s no doubt that Ringworm is being intentionally provocative to the point of being an ass but there are other viewpoints that are as valid to those who hold them as yours are to you.
Here is a text from Snorre's Edda, The Younger Edda

Chapter three "Of the Highest God"

"Ganglere then made the following question: Who is the highest and oldest of all the gods? Made answer Har: Alfather he is called in our tongue, but in Asgard of old he had twelve names. The first is Alfather, the second is Herran or Herjan, the third Nikar or Hnikar, the fourth Nikuz or Hnikud, the fifth Fjolner, the sixth Oske, the seventh Ome, the eighth Biflide or Biflinde, the ninth Svidar, the tenth Svidrer, the eleventh Vidrer, the twelfth Jalg or Jalk. Ganglere asks again: Where is this god? What can he do? What mighty works has he accomplished? Answered Har: He lives from everlasting to everlasting, rules over all his realm, and governs all things, great and small. Then remarked Jafnhar: He made heaven and earth, the air and all things in them. Thride added: What is most important, he made man and gave him a spirit, which shall live, and never perish, though the body may turn to dust or burn to ashes. All who live a life of virtue shall dwell with him in Gimle or Vingolf. The wicked, on the other hand, go to Hel, and from her to Niflhel, that is, down into the ninth world."

Does this story sound familiar sure does to me but this one is MYTHOLOGY and the one in the Bible is not.

Whats the deal with that?
Originally Posted by billhilly
The Jews don�t believe the prophecies were fulfilled and their folks wrote em and the perfect order of the universe as explained by Einstein breaks down on a sub atomic level. They�re still working on that one but I�m hoping for a unification theory in my lifetime.

There�s no doubt that Ringworm is being intentionally provocative to the point of being an ass but there are other viewpoints that are as valid to those who hold them as yours are to you.

dont think anyone here is arguing the fact that there are plenty of ppl here that do not agree with Mickeys views on religion.....Mickey and i have discussed his views and i cant quite get mine to jive with his but it aint any reason to be an ass and condescending and calling him names....my mom and grandmother are Catholic, my wife is a Lutheran and ive got friends that are Mormon and even atheist...yet everyone gets along just fine inspite of it.....
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by bea175

Yes, I did answer you. I don't have a carbide reamer but normally chamber at 260 rpm w/HSS reamers using a Gre-Tan barrel flushing system. Excellent finish.

Thanks
what exactly is the that pic supposed to show me.
Originally Posted by Metsamies
what exactly is the that pic supposed to show me.

It made me think of having fish for supper. Believe those are fish on the right side. smile
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by billhilly

dont think anyone here is arguing the fact that there are plenty of ppl here that do not agree with Mickeys views on religion.....Mickey and i have discussed his views and i cant quite get mine to jive with his but it aint any reason to be an ass and condescending and calling him names....my mom and grandmother are Catholic, my wife is a Lutheran and ive got friends that are Mormon and even atheist...yet everyone gets along just fine inspite of it.....

Sheridan,
There was a time I didn't agree with my position now. Saul of Tarsus didn't agree with the position of the Apostle Paul yet they were one and the same man.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Mickey, yeah i know, you have told me that a few times......my position may change if i make it that far.....wouldnt be the first time i changed my mind.....

push comes to shove i hate debating religion with ppl....not really any way anyones mind is going to change and its a good way to make enemies.....ive grown up in a small town with about a dozen different churches.....push comes to shove its likely your neighbors beliefs aint going to match your own so there aint no point and getting worked up about....
Originally Posted by goodnews

ringworm-

The Christian faith is not dwindling nor will it ever; to call it a myth shows you are lacking a great deal of information and/or are simply letting popular culture tell you what is real. That has proven very dependable.

Old Friend George,

If you saw our Catholic parish, you would be even more convinced of the total truth of your words. We are absolutely busting at the seams with old folks, new folks and everything in-between. We are thriving and so full of JOY.

Karen and I wish you and yours a great Holy Week, a wonderful Easter Triduum and a Glorious Easter.

God Bless,

Your friend Steve

Originally Posted by Metsamies
Its not just the bible that speaks of the sun standing still.

From the Norse Edda

"No knowledge she [the sun] had where
her home should be,
The moon knew not what was his,
The stars knew not where their stations were.
Then the gods set order among the heavenly bodies"

From the Finnish Kalevala

"Even birds grew sick and perished,
men and maidens, faint and famished,
perished in the cold and darkness,
from the absence of sunshine..
from the absence of moonlight...
But the wise men of the Northland
could not know the dawn of morning,
for the moon shines not in season
nor appears the sun at midday,
from their stations in the sky-vault."

This is why I have always questioned a person that says the bible is the only true word of God. The bible says God created all man and in that all languages in theory. So to say that another culture with a similar believe but do to thier different geographical location and language is not right in their belief to me is wrong.

I agree, a house of many mansions.

This is a truly refreshing thread on the eve of Easter Holiday. Everyone has the right to believe that which he will but respect should be given to those who always show it without reserve. IMHO ringworm, you sir, are out of line.
I really dont have an opinion, whether a hoax or not. And maybe I have no room to comment here, especially since im not a church goin man. But I believe in God with all my heart. Pray everynight. Give thanks all I can. When I see comments from people such as Ringworm, In cant help but think of somethin I read as I skimmed through the bible....

1 Corinthians 1:18-31 (New Living Translation)

The Wisdom of God
18 The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God. 19 As the Scriptures say,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise
and discard the intelligence of the intelligent.”[a]

20 So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world’s brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look foolish. 21 Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe. 22 It is foolish to the Jews, who ask for signs from heaven. And it is foolish to the Greeks, who seek human wisdom. 23 So when we preach that Christ was crucified, the Jews are offended and the Gentiles say it’s all nonsense.

24 But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 This foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God’s weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength.

26 Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy[c] when God called you. 27 Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. 28 God chose things despised by the world,[d] things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 29 As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God.

30 God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin. 31 Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”

IMO, people such as Ringworm, who constantly point to science or other sources of "facts" to refute the bible, sought wisdom from the wrong direction.
Pahick, Good post.

It may come as a surprise to many but, like you, I don't attend church. I did for many years and even held church for a time in the county jail but for reasons I'm not sure I can begin to articulate I just grew weary of "meetin', eatin' and retreatin' " as Tom Anderson used to say. I just quit attending.

My son is a minister of a different denomination than mine but I find little about his beliefs that I couldn't embrace. There are a couple of points we don't really agree on but nothing earth-shattering. The main thing we must agree on is that Jesus, and He, alone, is the propitiation for our sins and it's His Atonement that gives us access to Heaven.

Now, if I'm required to prove all this in a court of law to the extent that even scoffers would have no recourse but to accept it then we are all doomed. I believe it and am placing all my trust in it. Everybody else is on their own.

I also believe that all the scorners and scoffers we encounter in life will have all this come to mind when they hear Judgment pronounced on that day but to no avail. I used to tell those in jail that on Judgment Day they would stand before the One who paid the price for their sins and they would know the Truth at that time. They would have no council, no character witness and I could promise them there would be no shuckin' an' jivin' going on.
I don't plan on ever using the ignore feature. I'll just read and choose to agree or disagree. We're all different in our own way and I can't keep track of how many mistakes I have made in my life. I think what's most important is that, in the aggregate, a person's character comes through and can earn some respect. Hopefully, we can all continue to have an open discussion about family, friends, hobbies and our country and learn something from each other. Keep the fire burning and pass the marshmellows.

Originally Posted by pahick
IMO, people such as Ringworm, who constantly point to science or other sources of "facts" to refute the bible, sought wisdom from the wrong direction.

I do not question your belief it is your own and that is fine with me but a comment as this one should not be made. If I "refute - to deny the truth or accuracy of" the Bible I have sought wisdon from the wrong direction? So to say that I am wrong in my belief because I do no think the Bible is the ONLY word of God I am wrong? Isn't that like a man of God judging another for not thinking the same. If you ever get a chance you should research other "religions" the similarities will scare you. I have read the bibel I admit not all of it yet, I was raised lutheran. I still to this day have not yet finished reading the Edda or the Finnish Kalevala but alot of the "mythological stories" sound ALOT like some of the "verses" I have read in the Bible. So if I am to be labeled a "refuter - a debater who refutes or disproves by offering contrary evidence or argument" because I do not believe the Bible is the ONLY WORD OF GOD, so be it. I do not think that you should be able to judge one and use the Bible to support your claim.
I think I'll follow Whelenman and put ringworm on ignore. Clowns go away when there is no audience. MColeman is a beter man and a better Chrustian than I. People like ringworm tend to make my bad side emerge and I don't like that much.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
... God doesn't need the laws of physics.

He created them nevertheless, therefore he must have found them useful.
Originally Posted by Qtip
I think I'll follow Whelenman and put ringworm on ignore. Clowns go away when there is no audience. MColeman is a beter man and a better Chrustian than I. People like ringworm tend to make my bad side emerge and I don't like that much.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

If you knew the realme as does the Lord you would know that I'm just as far from perfection as you can get. Please don't ever think I'm anything but a fellow traveler right beside you as we go through the Slough of Despond.
Originally Posted by deersmeller

He created them nevertheless, therefore he mus have found them useful.

Yes, He did, but for us, not Him. We find them very useful.

How can you be so affirmative?

God may (must ?) have had a very personal interest in what he was creating - physics, matter, life - and he may well have created the Universe and Man "for Himself" or "for Himself and for us" and not just "for us".

How can you be so affirmative?

God may have had a very personal interest in what he was creating - physics, matter, life - and he may well have created the Universe and Man "for Himself" or "for Himself and for us" and not just "for us".

I can be affirmative simply by the fact that God does not depend on gravity and the laws of physics but we could not exist without them. That's pretty straightforward.

Scripture tells us that God said, "Let us (implying more than one which is referred to as the Trinity) create man in our image" and man was created to have fellowship with God. You'll find it well laid out in Genesis.
In this very narrow sense of "form him" I agree with you.
just a little historical fact.

when the quoted religious writitngs were written,people thought the sun revolved around the earth.
when Galeleo disproved this theory he was treated as a heretic.
© 24hourcampfire