Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
NASA & THE BIBLE

Thought this was pretty amazing and interesting !

For all the scientists out there, and for all the students who have a hard time convincing these people regarding the truth of the Bible, here' something that shows God's awesome creation, and that He is still in control.

Did you know that the sp ace program is busy proving that what has been called A 'myth ' in the Bible is true?

Mr. Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland, and a consultant in the space program, relates the following development

I think one of the most amazing things that God has done for us today happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Green Belt, Maryland ..

They were checking out where the positions of the sun, moon, and planets would be 100 years and 1,000 years from now.. We have to know this so we won't send up a satellite and have it bump into something later on in its orbits.

We have to lay out the orbits in terms of the life of the satellite and where the planets will be so the whole thing will not bog down.

They ran the computer measurement back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt.. The computer stopped and put up a red signal, which meant that there was something wrong with either the information fed into it or with the results as compared to the standards.

They called in the service department to check it out and they said, "What's wrong?" Well, they found there is a day missing in space in elapsed time.

They scratched their heads and tore their hair out. There was no answer.

Finally, a Christian man on the team said, "You know, one time I was in Sunday School and they talked about the sun standing still." While they didn't believe him,they didn't have an answer either,so they said,"Show us." He got a Bible and went to the book of Joshua where they found a pretty ridiculous statement for any one with 'common sense.'! There they found the Lord saying to "Joshua, Fear them not, I have delivered them into thy hand; there shall not a man of them stand before Thee."

Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy! And if darkness fell, they would overpower them. So, Joshua asked the Lord to make the sun stand still! That's right.. 'The sun stood still and the moon stayed and lasted not to go down about a whole day!' (Joshua 10:12-13)

The astronauts and scientists said, "There is the missing day!" They checked the computers going back into the time it was written and found it was close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes, not a whole day.

They read the Bible,! and there it was about (approximately) a day. These little words in the Bible are important, but they were still in trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes, you'll still be in trouble
1000 years from now.

Forty minutes had to be found because it can be multiplied many times over in orbits.. As the Christian employee thought about it, he remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said the sun went BACKWARDS.

The scientists told him he was out of hi s mind, but they got out the Book and read these! words in 2 Kings that told of the following story: Hezekiah, on his death bed, was visited by the prophet Isaiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah asked for a sign as proof.. Isaiah said, "Do you want the sun to go ahead 10 degrees?" Hezekiah said,"It is nothing for the sun to go ahead 10 degrees but let the shadow return backward 10 degrees."

Isaiah spoke to the Lord, and the Lord brought the shadow ten degrees BACKWARD! Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes!

Twenty-three hours and 20 minutes in Joshua, plus 40 minutes in Second Kings make the missing day in the universe! Isn't it amazing?

References: Joshua 10:8, 12,13 and 2 Kings 20:9-11.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"Harold Hill, President of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Maryland"

Curtis Engine is a back-up generator manufacturer.
that is proof to you that NASA supports the Bible?

IS that all you've got?
Curtis Engine and his missing day theory?
no wonder the Christian faith is dwindling. Dolts like you who dig up some internet hoax from 2004 about a crusty old man who builds backup generators and calls himself a conultant. Harold was involved in diesel engine operations at Goddard and had NO involvement with any computer operations.
Thats it.
idiotic ramblings. you are DESPERATE!

The story about the "missing day" of the Book of Joshua being proven by NASA researchers at the Goddard Spaceflight Center is an urban legend. The legend has its origins in the work of Charles A.L. Totten, a Yale military science instructor who came up with calculations allegedly proving "Joshua's missing day" in his 1890 book Joshua's Long Day and the Dial of Ahaz. It was later turned into an urban legend about NASA and Goddard Spaceflight Center by Harold Hill, former president of the Curtis Engine Company of Baltimore, Maryland, now deceased.

The Johnson Space Center's Space Educator's Handbook authored by Jerry Woodfill has a section on hoaxes with a page mentioning the story, citing it as appearing in the 1970 Evening World.

Amazon.com shows the publication date (evidently a reprinting) of Totten's book to be in December of 1968. I suspect that Hill read Totten's book or heard an account of it and later transposed it in his mind onto the work he was doing as a NASA subcontractor.

please....
this close to the spring soltice could you come up with something a little better to stimulate me?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty cool...despite what the Al Qeida member on the site rambles on about.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ringworm,

Mickey is one of the most respected members here. He never stoops to calling names or internet chest-pounding - like you. Of all the folks here, he is one guy I'd like to meet. Whether you believe this post or not doesn't matter. Your put-downs of him are uncalled for and just plain wrong. A real man would apologize but I have a feeling you won't.

RH

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Ringworm,

Mickey is one of the most respected members here. He never stoops to calling names or internet chest-pounding - like you. Of all the folks here, he is one guy I'd like to meet. Whether you believe this post or not doesn't matter. Your put-downs of him are uncalled for and just plain wrong. A real man would apologize but I have a feeling you won't.

RH

Thank you. Since I have Ringworm on ignore (for obviously good reason) had no idea, or interest, in what he said. I do appreciate your kind words more than you know. As for meeting me you aren't all that far away. My shop door is always open and I'm a pretty easy touch for lunch any time you want to stop by.

Last edited by MColeman; 04/07/09.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, if this is true i don't really know. Every time a Christian has a theory on the bible some atheist comes up with sometime to counter. My thinking is believe what you like and then die and find out who is right.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
it aint about belief. in this instance and the big picture.
Its about FACTS.
but i shouldnt be surprised that a group of people who base thier life on a myth would buy into an internet hoax as well.
I didnt insult him. he reposted drivle. thats not an insult to him.
but if he's insulted because i called the drivle what it is then i cant help that.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not saying anything about you Ring , you are entitled to your belief and so is Mickey. Friction or Nonfiction

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ringworm,

You my friend have no respect. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and your thoughts are welcome, but when you come round treating folks like M. Coleman as in the above, you cross the line. Just clean it up a bit....or go find another site. Seems you need a Dale Carnegie refresher.

M. Coleman probably got this in an email and posted it here harmlessly. To echo Himmelrr, he is well respected and liked in this community. You're wearing out your welcome in a big way when you treat folks like this. Again, You,Your thoughts, your opinions are welcome but your atitude is not.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
By the way, this community is very flexible, an appology goes along way, and there is no time like the present to work on some character flaws you may struggle with. If you treat folks like this on the internet, I have serious concerns for those in your immediate influence. For their sakes take a good look at yourself, reflect on the kind of folks that mean the most to you and try to be like one of them. By the way, what kind of folks do you look up to?

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ringworm has NOTHING to apologize for here. While he and I are 180 degrees apart on our beliefs, here he has only pointed out a complete hoax. Hoaxes such as this do NOTHING to solidify one's beliefs, and, more often than not, they only serve to increase one's doubt of their faith in times of struggle when the hoax comes to light.

Presenting something like this as a "proof" adds fuel for the non-believers. It doesn't drive them nuts. Ringworm has posted some bile that should require an apology at times, this isn't one of them.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
DanD, Ringworm could have posted a link to NASA's own website on this topic, NASA was a lot more respectful in it's explanation and much less toxic than what Ringworm decided to post.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970325g.html

Maybe one of these days someone will ask Ringworm to post his beliefs about God?

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Per the flesh eating parasitic infection:

Per DanD
Ringworm has NOTHING to apologize for here.

We all are entitled to our opinions. Mine does not agree with yours.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by NeBassman

Maybe one of these days someone will ask Ringworm to post his beliefs about God?

They have! Many times! There's no answer other than something to the effect that his god is better than my God.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
Ringworm,

You my friend have no respect. You are certainly entitled to your opinion and your thoughts are welcome, but when you come round treating folks like M. Coleman as in the above, you cross the line. Just clean it up a bit....or go find another site. Seems you need a Dale Carnegie refresher.

M. Coleman probably got this in an email and posted it here harmlessly. To echo Himmelrr, he is well respected and liked in this community. You're wearing out your welcome in a big way when you treat folks like this. Again, You,Your thoughts, your opinions are welcome but your atitude is not.

You're right, I did get this in an e-mail and, while I knew the content of the Scriptures referenced, I did not know the rest was a hoax. I did suspect that the post would attract the responses that it did. I guess I'm a troll to some degree???? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DanD

Presenting something like this as a "proof" adds fuel for the non-believers. It doesn't drive them nuts. Ringworm has posted some bile that should require an apology at times, this isn't one of them.

ringworm said:
Thats it.

i dont give a chit when that kinda stuff is used when arguing with me, i deal with worse on a regular basis......but Mickey has proven time and time again that he is a gentleman and im one member that firmly believes he should be treated as such..........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well said rattler, those are my exact thoughts.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[quote=MColeman I guess I'm a troll to some degree???? wink [/quote]

LOL....every once in awhile, it's fun to dwell under a bridge.

Steve

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I find NASA's response a bit puzzling: "The major dynamical component of any planet's orbital motion is determined by solving an equation (force is equal to the mass times the acceleration) which is the perhaps the most fundamental in classical physics. The validity and predictive power of this equation are well documented and can be seen every day: a recent example is the lunar eclipse that was visible to much of the world last Sunday. This calculation would not cover any time before the present, so some missing day many centuries ago, if it had occurred, could not be uncovered with this method."

If the calculation works for the present and future time, it should work just as well for times past.

I do believe NASA explains it much better with the next line: "In general, trying to prove events that are said to have occurred in the Bible, using scientific principles, doesn't work."

Although they should have stated, "...things that occurred in the Bible..."

God doesn't need the laws of physics.

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Right up until it kills you.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
RINGWORM just earned my *ignore* feature and has joined my very small collection.

He/she/it is an aggrevation that does not need my attention. Nor will he/she/it get my attention.

Much of the attraction of the Campfire is our mutual respect for each other. Ringworm apparently does not recognize this and he/she/it exists only as an irritant.

If Rick doesn't choose to kick this ingrate off the Campire, I can at least choose not to read his childish rants and totally negative comments.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 219DW, 21, 204guy, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,464
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.