Home
my bike, recently listed on for sale craigs list as "flawless"

[Linked Image]

I go to my boy's daycare, figure it would be ok if dad picks up the boy from daycare on the cool bike. (my yard is a next door grassy lawn 1st gear idle ride from daycare, we're neighbors)

Well, I didn't count on the little boy that couldn't understand "hey buddy, no, no, don't touch the bike, it's hot, you'll get burnt. Don't mess with it."

I saw the kid trying to climb on it on the off side, hey! no, no! well...

The daycare lady's husband is a little harsher, "Hey get away from the bike! Just get away from it!'

Well we turn our backs for one second & THUNK! my bike is dumped for the first time ever.

2 small dents in the tank, busted turn signal, scuffed windshield, brake handle, throttle, foot brake, and a new set of $800 drag pipes scratched all to hell.

A little tiny human, tipped my bike & wham! I got an easy $2000 worth of damage & I don't even have a cool crash story to go with the expense.

WTF would you guys do??

the kid is probably 6 or 7..

and hell no I didn't yell at him...

I just took my busted up bike home & pondered "why?"

I don't even know the kid. G'damn it I told the kid to get away from the bike... chit!!!!

at least he didn't dump it on himself, G'damn little spider monkey....
Man that sucks. Like you said at least the kid didn't get hurt but geez. Wonder if the daycare or kids parents would have some sort of insurance that would cover. Be cool if they at least offered to pay your deductable or give you free daycare for a year.
Dave - that's the s#$ts. I would probably just chalk it up as one of those things that happen that shouldn't. Sorry to hear about it. Best, John
i did that to a bike when i was a kid blush
Geez Dave sorry to hear that, will insurance take care of it?
yeah I'm still finding direction on this one. My instincts on this one tell me to treat it like a lightning strike, who do you blame for that? nobody, ya just move on......

still cheased tho....

I'd turn it into the insurance maybe the brats parents will have to pay for it?
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i did that to a bike when i was a kid blush

i'll just blame you then. pay up sucker.

grin

damn kids... really just glad the little spaz didn't get hurt.

grinYeah, EVERYBODY knows that we wuz all so OBEDIENT when we wuz kids whistle whistle Too bad about the scoot Dave.
yea when that happened with me the bike fell over on me and everybody was more worried that i had gotten hurt (just got some scraches) the bike didn't get dammaged as i broke the fall
yeah I let my gaurd down...

sometimes i'm too relaxed & trusting.

i'd still rather be this way than end up being the a-hole that gaurds his stuff like it's more important than human life.

still kinda hurts tho... speshly in the checkbook....
frown

As you surmise, parents aren't usually responsible for this sort of thing but it might be covered under their homeowners policy...if they have one. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
yea when that happened with me the bike fell over on me and everybody was more worried that i had gotten hurt (just got some scraches) the bike didn't get dammaged as i broke the fall

coulda really used a kid like you today, one that's tough, willing to take one for the team...

grin

it hurts when i smile now.... crazy

Make his head into a fender ornament as a warning to the next kid who wants to crawl all over your bike.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Make his head into a fender ornament as a warning to the next kid who wants to crawl all over your bike.
Awesome Bristoe! I love your way of thinking. grin
yeah I'm going to bed guys.

someone let me know if anyone figures out why tom264 is cookin dog turds & posting "Yummmmm"

that's made me forget all about my bike.

thanks for that tom...

grin

No prob buddy....I'm taking one for the team.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

someone let me know if anyone figures out why tom264 is cookin dog turds & posting "Yummmmm"

thanks for that tom...

grin

I am not sure what that is all about, but they say olfactory memories are the strongest. Man you just triggered a memory.

About thirty years ago we were camping in a small unheated camp trailer during early November deer season. It turned off real cold and my buddy decided his Queensland heeler needed a good hot breakfast as the poor little guy had to follow our horses all over the mountain all day.

After we cooked up a dozen eggs and a pound of bacon for the three human hunters, my buddy dumped a goodly portion of dry kibble into the bacon grease and turned up the gas.

It quickly became painfully obvious that the kibble had been made mostly from partially decomposed animal tissues. The stench drove out of the trailer, it was not fit to live in the rest of hunting season.
When I was a youngster I went out to the garage and ended up playing on the old man's cop Harley. One thing led to another and I ended up knocking it off the stand and it pinned me against the garage door. After about fifteen minutes it became apparent I didn't have the horsepower to lift a 800 lb hog off me, so I hit the siren.

Neighbor finally came over and lifted it off me..he never snitched me off either.
The weekend after I bought my new Gold Wing in '05, I came out of Wally World to find some jerk had his kid up on top of my bike.

He was a real arse about the deal. The kid had crushed 2 of the controls on the stereo and scratched the paint thru to the plastic.

I raised so much hell that the rent a cop came over to investigate. The jerk told us both to pound sand.

No problem! i turned it over to my lawyer, he got the video from the lot cameras and the rent a cop's statement.

Mr. Jerk got write me a check for $2,250.00, plus legal fees.
I think the parents of a certain little bastage need to be cutting Northern Dave a check.
woke up before my alarm went off this morning... i'm not feeling any better about the whole deal today...

crap.
Dave, if the parents have homeowners insurance it should pay for the damages under the liability portion.
Well, check your insurance - find out a deductible, then send a bill to the kids parents for anything out of pocket.. You have witnesses, after all.

Sorry about the damage, Dave... Any time there's little kids around me I watch 'em like a hawk - especially if the parents aren't..
it didn't happen at the parents house, it happened at the daycare. Kid was a daycare kid.

I dunno what to do.. this is going to be very expensive. The bike was/is for sale but my listing that said "flawless" is no longer true.

I just went from "flawless" to "easy fixer upper"

crazy
That sucks, Dave!
Hope you can get it sorted out.
Would the Daycare's insurance cover it. They should be responsible for the kid's actions while they are under there care, shouldn't they? A nice, calm talk with the guy who saw it (AND tried to stop it, unsuccessfully) might get you some resolution. That seems like a big $ hit for you to take. Good Luck!
What did the father say. I couldnt just say sorry bout the bike and walk away. I would have offered to handle it the best way possible. Pay the deductable mow your yard or somethin.
That's too bad..I blame he parents. I'm in and out of Retail stores all the country and see unbelievable behaviour from kids and the lack of concern from their "Guardians". They turn them loose,expecting the employees to baby-sit and clean up after them. Food stores get hit bad as well as the malls...Geezz
Sorry 'bout your bike,man..I'd push somebody to pay up!!
parents havent contacted us yet.

they know about it, I doubt they know the whole story. the kid was a pro. jumped back after the bike dumped & pointed at my 30# 5 year old as if he somehow did it.

I know what happened.

my boy told me the other kid was up on the bike, sitting on it then he "jumped off"

the bike was parked with the bars turned left, like everybody parks there bikes. well when it landed on it's right side it landed with the bars turned all the way to the right which sent the throttle controls into the tank causing the dents in the tank. The forks didn't flop from left lock to right lock as it went over.. the kid was on it, grabbed the bars & turned them to the right lock which brought the bikes center of gravity more in favor of the right side, then when he jumped off the seat to the left side it was just enough to send the bike over.

Dave, my insurance knowledge is a little rusty, but I don't think it has to occur on the homeowners property. For instance: if a child is playing baseball at a neighbors and breaks a window, the childs parents homeowners would cover it.

Any lawyers or claims adjusters feel free to jump in.
First things first ... once an item is listed for sale, said item is left alone to avoid such accidents (as is the case with your bike right now) ... but I'm sure you've learned that lesson.

Next, regardless of the "accidental nature" of the event, the kid and his parents are responsible for the damage, and I'd be making every effort to ensure they pay every cent so that I don't have to go to my insurance company for anything - simply because that can only hurt your rates, not help.

Likewise, you may very well lose money on the sale of your bike since it's had to have extensive repair work, even if it is just cosmetic ... that's something I'd at least discuss with the parents of the kid who dumped the bike. You should (IMHO) consider the fact that you should have never been on the bike in the first place once it was listed for sale ... but then again it should have never been dumped if the kid would have left it alone.

good luck with it ... hope the parents of the kid who dumped your bike have some integrity and step up to the plate ...
WGM, although hard to live with, I have considered everything you've just said previous to reading your post. And I agree, i do regret riding the bike while it's listed for sale.

Like every problem, there are a thousand "what if's"

and of course i do regret bringing the bike there around all those kids.

But what do you do? what do you limit yourself to then? Oh I can't perk it here or there or there because this or that might happen.

There's really nothing I can do, it's done & I have to try to move forward in a way that will get my bike back in shape & hopefully not start a feud between families either.

WTF would you guys do??

Go change the add in Craig's list? and look hard for a silver lining. All dark clouds have one smile
Be grateful that it not fall on the kid.

g

Contact your insurance company, let them sort it out as someone is liable.
Dave,

I like your perspective, chit happens. Frustrating sometimes, but I'd just be glad the damned thing didn't fall on the kid. It woulda suddenly been all your fault. I'd let it play out for the rest of the day and see what the daycare or parents say. If they don't come thru of their own accord, I'd probably chalk it up to one of those life sucks sometimes moments.
yep... lady luck giveth & murphy taketh away...

so goes it, round & round the world spins...

nobody got hurt.

I'm very thankful for that, it was my actual concern when I told the kid he couldn't play on or around the bike. All I was thinking is that he might burn himself on the hot pipes like I've done myself.

Never crossed my mind that a kid could topple it, the idea never entered my mind.

If it twas me, although for the most part I don't believe in abortion, I think that exceptions should sometimes be made retroactively. Parents are responsible for their kids no matter where they are. Hit up the parents. Hard.
Parents are the most responsible party Dave, then the Daycare. I would definitely be getting ahold of my insurance company. Les
I agree with Les-other than I'm not sure who is more responsible, the parents or the daycare. The parents are paying the daycare a lot of money to watch the kids. The daycare is responsible for the actions of the kid while they are there. Becomes a gray line, but either way, the parents or the daycare need to be the ones paying for this.
Sounds like the day care doesn't watch the kids like they are payed to do. Day Care is responsible for your damages.
real tough one guys, a procede with caution sort of thing. Small town living, daycare people are friends & also neighbors... tough spot. My insurance guy is out of the office until 3 today.

so i guess i wait.
Sorry to hear about your bike.

Why was this kid out in the parking lot?
rural setting, not a daycare center as most would know as traditional daycare settings but actually at a person�s house.

That's how most of if not all of our daycare's are up where I live. You drop your kid off at somebody�s house. They have been approved as a daycare provider, the house has to be set up a certain way etc, some training completed etc. The bike was in there driveway at their house.

I should have specified in my post.

I guess you will be paying this bill yourself.
What you got here man is a "pickle", a real pickle.

I'm a chit happens type of guy. Get real fired up at first, then cool down and think straighter.

If my kid did the tipping I'd be cutting you a check, for at least what your insurance didn't cover...if it was just my neighbor, I don't think I'd have an issues asking for some coin to cover repairs, but, and it's a big but they are your daycare providers, and sounds like friends, and that my friend is where your pickle comes in.

Sorry your in it man, really.

I would put off contacting my insurance agent until I contacted an attorney. I believe the parents of the mini-monster are liable and would proceed against them if the attorney agreed. I'd give them a chance to turn it into their insurance or however they wanted to compensate you, but if they balked I would file in small claims court. If you turn it into your insurance it will affect your rates for something you did not do. I would try to avoid that.

You'll also need an estimate of the damage if you don't have one already. You should not have to pay a dime for others negligence and that should be your goal, unless higher premiums are not an issue for you.

BTW: really nice bike!
If I had done the tipping as a kid, my dad woulda whipped me for being near the bike, espically since if you told me to stay away.

Got in trouble once when I was kid, cuz somebody ran over my bike while I was fishin'. Bike was in the ditch, well off the road, and a dude pulled in the said ditch to fish, CRUNCH goes tiny tzone's bike..guy gave me and bike a ride home, offered cash to pay for bike, i got swatted for being too close to the road. crazy

we came home from church the next day and there was a new bike leaned up against the garage door.
maybe there will be a new bike leaned against my garage door when i get home.....???

grin

maybe not tho...

New bike - ?? Maybe - just maybe - the Tooth Fairy will bring you a stack of freshly-minted gold coins. And a new Harley Davidson Road King too....Good luck, amigo
Don't take this wrong I'm just trying to be helpful, but that sure looks like a Polaris bike to me which automatically gives you a "looser definition card" to play in regard to the term flawless. At least that has been my experience with the products coming out of Roseau in recent years. (Maybe I should have beat up some of those kids, who are now grown men and work there, when I was in first or second grade.)

The other thing you might do is change your ad to say "after 8:00 PM" or whenever the sun is low enough that no one will see the dings - buyer beware and all that...

See, that was helpful, no? grin

Sorry to hear though. I completely understand the difficulty of the small community thing though. As much as it pains me to say it, I'm thinking the priority needs to be on "us" instead of "things" here, but it sounds like you've already figured that out. I've got kids so I know how hard it can be sometimes. I don't want to second-guess their designer, but sometimes I wish they had had a couple more ears placed somewhere. Apparently I'm not the only one whose kids don't use them sometimes.
If I had done the tipping as a kid, my dad woulda whipped me for being near the bike, espically since if you told me to stay away.

As a child one of the worst things I could have done was to ignore instructions given to me by an adult and then have something happen as a result of my disregard for legitimate authority.

It seems the little bike dumping bastage is not accustomed to having serious consequences come his way. That deficit in his upbringing should be brought to his parents' attention via a detailed invoice of the repair costs.
I like Bristoes idea best..........
hey come on now klik, I got a lotta good friends over in that plant. good people. I worked there myself for over 10 years.

but in all honesty & as many know the bike was for sale in favor of my current bike desire which is a HD road king.

grin

that dream is fading frown

hey come on now klik, I got a lotta good friends over in that plant. good people.

Thing that almost scares me is that I might too. (Just rolled 24,000 miles onto one of my Polaris "sno-cats" this past winter too. I really liked the brand, but some of the recent stuff....well, looking at 4th complete engine rebuild in under 10,000 on the newest one. Crap!)
what can i say... she's gone very corporate.

they axed a lot of home grown natural talent & stuffed the place with wet behind the ears engineering grads.

IMO, Tom Tiller took a huge dump on that company's history & heritage.

when it came time for cuts to be made, they started chopping away at the tree trunk & pulling its roots out rather than trimming a little off the top.

They'll come back, it will all find its way again, it will grow new roots & repair itself but it's going to take a little time.

There's a lot of misinformation on here. Parents are NOT usually resposible for the accidental acts of the children. That said, the acts of the child may be covered under the homeowner's policy and it doesn't matter that the incident occurred elsewhere.
tzone
I think it was knowing our BOUNDRIES when we were kids and we had the FEAR put in us. Have two grandsons who have to live by a different set of rules when they come to Pop Pop's house. And yes, it tough on the little boogers, but they don't have bounderies at home.
you're right there.

I assumed too much when I assumed that kids still listened to adults.

that kid was going to do what he wanted to do, regardless of the fact that two adult men told him to get away from that bike... i have no experience with that kind of kid, didn't see it coming.

While I am not a lawyer or an insurance expert, I disagree with toltegriz and believe that parents do hold liability for the acts of their minor children. That was the advice I got years ago and is part of the reason I have maintained a large liability umbrella policy until the last of my sons turns 18. Lord knows there were some stupid stunts I did as a kid that could have turned out quite badly, if only the fickle winds of chance had blown only slightly differently.

So start taking photos, getting estimates, talking to insurance and then in a pleasant, factually supported, non-confrontational way, have a conversation with the child's parents.
You can disagree, but you are still wrong.

Some states have enacted limited statutory exceptions to the common law rule that I have stated. This wouldn't qualify under most of them.
You can still sell it as flawless, just as Redneck. "No scratches, no dents, no cracks. Sold as-is."

laugh smile
Send the "perps" parents the bill via a lawyer and be glad the kid wasn't under the bike. The parents would be sending you medical bills.

And, once the bike is repaired, the flaws have been removed!
I believe that the Parents would need to be present for them to be "responsible"??? In this case, when the kids in the Day Care, I think they are the resonsible ones?? Of course as this was at the point the kid was leaving for the day, and so was in the process of being handed over to the parent, the whole thing is liable to be even more murky!

And as Dave told the kid to get off the bike but then failed to keep an eye on the kid/bike, I wonder if a lawyer would try to say that his neglegence contributed to the accident?

Somehow, Dave, I have a feeling that you will have to suck-up and claim off your own insurance, otherwise this will be bogged down for ages....not saying thats "right", but suspect it will be the quickest way forward...

Regards,

Peter

Its a big poop sandwich and your all going to have to take a bite.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
As you surmise, parents aren't usually responsible for this sort of thing but it might be covered under their homeowners policy...if they have one. Doesn't hurt to ask.

yer kiddin' right? Parents are absolute liable for their kids until the courts say so, or the kids turn 18. Pity you dont know the kids parents, get them to pay for it.
The day care has zero responsibility to cover it, unless the kid works there.

thanks for that tom...

grin

Were they battered and fried,or plain?
Originally Posted by fluffy
Its a big poop sandwich and your all going to have to take a bite.
All the ones I've been served came without the bread.
All the ones I've been served came without the bread.

Buns were involved however.
well guys. little reflection on places I've been, things I've seen, things i've done... stuff we all know (problem wise)

this bike issue is small. Lots of people would love to trade there problems for this little material issue.

I was a younger man, a boy I suppose.. in the 1st gulf war.

It wasn't fun, not at all, it was quite the opposite & I made a promise to myself back then that I would never kid myself, that I would never develop a selective memory & only remember the stuff I chose to remember.

It was important to me back then because I was sure that those times and moments in my life were the worse I would ever experience.

a benchmark of sorts to wash out what ever troubles I may have from that point forward.

This aint a problem, hardly a bump in the road.

my claim is started, on my own insurance. it's going to be fine. I'll do the labor myself & may be able to even earn my deductable back. no prob.

done.

I think it was a scene from talladega nights where the guy on the bus or subway says "Problems? I don't want to hear about your damn problems! Everybody's got problems! My momma got problems she just lost her leg! My cousin Pookie just lost a testicle! My dog just threw up somebody's finger! That's a problem!"

he says some other stuff to that's not allowed on the campfire... grin

god i love stupid movies.

thanks for the concerns everyone.

Dave, Great attitude, your kids are lucky to grow and learn from such a man.

Good attitude. Remember that the parents will be getting a bill from your insurance company for what they have to pay. Wasn't your fault after all. Might make them put some boundries on the little turd.
Originally Posted by Medina
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

yer kiddin' right? Parents are absolute liable for their kids until the courts say so, or the kids turn 18. Pity you dont know the kids parents, get them to pay for it.
The day care has zero responsibility to cover it, unless the kid works there.

Just for the record, no, I'm not kidding. Barring additional factors, parents aren't liable.
First month after we moved into our house, I had a neighbor kid come over on his bike. He turned around in my driveway and I noticed he was stuck. Went over and he was dragging his brake lever on the handle bars down my pretty new (about a year and a half old) Audi. I bit my lip and went inside, never bringing it up with the new neighbors. But a year or so later when he was playing on our swingset and slipped on the lader, busting his lip, I was ready in case they came knocking.
Just adding humor..........
And as Dave told the kid to get off the bike but then failed to keep an eye on the kid/bike, I wonder if a lawyer would try to say that his neglegence contributed to the accident?

Bingo.

I'd be grateful that the bike didn't land on a kid.

A lawyer would construe it that Dave brought the bike to a parking outside a building that he had reason to believe contained small children, and then left a heavy, unstable machine insufficiently attended outside said building.

The kid is six, no way is he legally responsible for his actions. His parents weren't on the scene, no way to blame them either. If the kid had gotten crushed both the daycare and Dave would be liable.

Dave, you scratched up yer bike, like you said, stuff happens. Coulda easily been much worse, even if all the kid got was a broken leg.

Birdwatcher
I guess the kid is almost 8 and he failed to comprehend or simply ignored some strict and stern warnings from 2 adult men. 3 times he heard it from me and once from the daycare provider's husband. My boy is 5 and would never behave in such a way. This kid has 3 years on my boy, he knows better, he just chose to not listen. There were several other children attracted to the shiny bike that listened & went off in another direction to play after some simple & calmly spoken instruction from me "hey kids, the bike is very hot and it's dangerous to play around please stay away from it ok?" The other kids equal of age to this boy and younger all drifeted off in another direction & went on playing away from the bike. This kid indeed is a special one.

Regardless, I'm not pursuing any sort of contest with any parties. I'm handling the issue on my own, yes of course I am thankful the kid didn't dump the bike on himself or on my 5 year old who was in the same general area.

I really do hope that the parents realize what they've got on there hands with this boy though. For the safety of the boy & others around him. They are farmers for christ sakes & many of us know that a farm is no place for a careless unruly child.
They are farmers for christ sakes & many of us know that a farm is no place for a careless unruly child.

There sure seems to be lots of guys here that were perfect little gentlemen as kids. I think most of you are full of crap. smirk

Dave, my homeowners insurance would cover this. If yours doesn't, small town politics makes it complicated, but I would probably ask the kid's folks to pay or at least split the bill. If I figured the money would cause some hardship then I would just eat it.

However, if Cougar Momma drops off the kid at daycare in her Caddy I might insist.
the kid is probably 6 or 7..

When I was that age and dad said not to do something I darn sure didn't do it! In this modern Dr. Spock era dads don't remove enough hide off little boys azz's. That destines many of them to spend part of their adult lives with me. What the heck, JOB SECURITY!!
I personally would still go after the kids parents. Of course, most everybody is glad the kid didn't hurt himself. That's besides the point. Even if he had, it wouldn't be your fault. The kids parents should pay up for sure. Because of the way the daycare is set-up (somebody's home), no doubt their insurance would have to step-up too as this kid was in their care at the time of the "accident."

What would you do if your kid dumped somebody's bike?
Originally Posted by remfak

What would you do if your kid dumped somebody's bike?

exactly.

still the same, i'm handling it. I do think the parents need to know and understand how serious it could have been though.

otherwise no lesson is learned from any of this.
I think you're handling it in an honorable and righteous way, and I applaud that.

However, were it me, I believe when I could do it calmly, I'd have a word w/ his parents and explain that you're taking the hit on repairs to your bike, but you just want them to be aware of juniors actions. In plain english I'd let them know that he was told NO multiple times by two different individuals.

I realize it's a different world now, but had I done the same @ that age, I would have gotten my "tail tore up" as we say in the south. That and my parents would've paid for the repairs w/out any hesitation. Whatever it cost, they'd have taken it out on my backside.
Dave, you may think you are doing the right thing, BUT--

In reality you are just being a wus and contributing to more of this sort of behavior by this kid down the road by letting him and his parents off the hook. You are also setting an example for YOUR kid that despite what he has been told by you, screw ups don't really have consequences.

Farmers or not, they need to get the bill, and whether they pay it or not, it may lead to the kid getting a good ass whipping by his folks. By not making an example of him, you and they are setting a bad example for responsible behavior.
I wish it were that simple sharps.

the theory that by me forcing the issue & pursuing payment from the parents will then force said parents to discipline the boy & continue on in life with perhaps more stern parenting as may be needed.

I really wish it were that simple.

too bad it's not.

I believe it would actually go more like this. I pursue payment, they deny responsibility, furthermore they deny there child even touched the bike, the issue goes to court, it ends up costing a lot more money in the end than what the damages total. Meanwhile the parents form there own web of protective/defensive "truth" over the issue & over the boy... Reason & truth becomes further & harder to achieve... the situation simply goes backwards.

I could win, I could make them pay. but just because they are forced to pay doesn't mean I�ve forced them to accept & believe that there boy has done wrong & perhaps needs discipline.

Biglmbass suggests action that is parallel with my thinking.

but thanks for calling me a wus, everybody needs to be toughened up every now & then, actually made my chest puff up a bit, for about 12 seconds...

There sure seems to be lots of guys here that were perfect little gentlemen as kids. I think most of you are full of crap.

I never claimed to be a perfect little gentleman. But I sure wasn't a willful little bastard that was just gonna do what I wanted to do, instructions to the contrary from adults be damned.

He needs a good attitude adjustment so the next time an adult tells him to get away from something his automatic reaction will be getting far enough away so nobody even thinks he isn't listening.
Thats stinks Dave.Glad the little gaffer wasn't hurt.
I was not a perfect little gentleman at 8, and I paid with hide.
Reminds me when My wife and I purchased land back in '99 and put our camper and tractor on the property while preparing to build. A couple of young kids(7 & 10) came over one day when we were gone and broke into our camper, broke windows and spread anything in the fridge all over the camper. They also ripped wires from my tractor and tried to burn it by starting the sawdust around the tractor on fire. I must have just missed them because the fire was only inches from my tractor.

Found out almost immediately who was responsible from a neighbor boy who heard a couple of kids bragging about it in school. Approached the parents and calmly but sternly explained what happened and asked them to take care of the problem. Heard back from both sets of parents within a couple days and both denied their child had taken part in the vandalism. Went to the police who sent out an investigator. He interviewed the children and told me they denied being involved and said there was nothing he could do.

Decided if I pursued the issue, I'd end up spending more time and money than it was worth and it was doubtful I'd collect my damages even if I won.

Point is, sometimes it's better to just let it go. Trust me, after a couple years, the anger will go away(for the most part).
that's reality, unfortunately.

sometimes parents are incapable of logic & reasonable thinking.

"not my boy!!"
Gasp!!

these are different times we live in.
The thing is, if they were reasonable parents, you wouldn't have to approach them about the issue as their kid wouldn't act like that. But odds are a kid that acts that way has less than steller parents.
Nobody will learn anything without a ass whoopin. Now start with the kid, then the daycare people, then the parents. Stop by the gas station and whoop the guy using pump 3s ass. Then go whoop the kids who tried to burn the tractor(is nothing sacred??). Swing through the citys and whoop my ass. Speed on I35 till a highway patrol pulls you over and whoop his ass. Stop up there at black bear casino and whoop a black jack dealers ass, then whoop my mothers ass, youll find her at the nickel slots....feeling anybeter yet?:)
Dave,

I would try to work it out with the boy's parents. If they want to be unreasonable you can pursue it in Conciliation Court. You can file claims for up to $7500 in Conciliation Court. It only costs $80.00 or so to file. No attorney is involved. You both state your case to a judge who makes a decision on the spot. Here's a link.

http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=313

i think that all would just make me very tired and very jailed.

grin

black bear? I kinda like fortune bay, cause there's a lake there... & I'd rather be fishing grin

BG, even if I cared to... wife works for the courts, we know everybody... ick.

we're good.

claim is underway, happiness is resored, hate levels non existant.. it's all good.

I need that for a ringtone

grin

Nobody will learn anything without a ass whoopin.

I know you're being facetious but it's pretty much the truth for some.
claim is underway, happiness is resored, hate levels non existant.. it's all good

You're a much mellower man than I am.
Originally Posted by mathman

uhhh, fussee-shyuss?

that be meanin juss foolin ryte?

[Linked Image]
claim is underway, happiness is resored, hate levels non existant.. it's all good

You're a much mellower man than I am.

wasn't alway the case... I try really, really hard... grin
I'd have to figure out a way to put the screws to them.

OOHHH NOOOO, the ONLY facetious part was whoopin my moms ass, he wouldnt have a chance against her grin
i trust youse on dat.

grin
Seriously, the guy at the daycare should at the least be calling the parents and telling them to make other arrangements for the kids daycare and why.
When it comes to their kids some people just won't get it until they all but get hit between the eyes with a 2X4.
northern_dave

I can't tell you what to do about your bike. The politics of small town life, friends and neighbors can be a delicate thing. Only you can weigh the costs. I do know this. While this episode is the foremost thing on your mind right now in ten years it will be just another blip on the timeline of northern_dave. Good luck.
© 24hourcampfire