Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think the parents of a certain little bastage need to be cutting Northern Dave a check.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
woke up before my alarm went off this morning... i'm not feeling any better about the whole deal today...

crap.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dave, if the parents have homeowners insurance it should pay for the damages under the liability portion.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Well, check your insurance - find out a deductible, then send a bill to the kids parents for anything out of pocket.. You have witnesses, after all.

Sorry about the damage, Dave... Any time there's little kids around me I watch 'em like a hawk - especially if the parents aren't..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
it didn't happen at the parents house, it happened at the daycare. Kid was a daycare kid.

I dunno what to do.. this is going to be very expensive. The bike was/is for sale but my listing that said "flawless" is no longer true.

I just went from "flawless" to "easy fixer upper"

crazy

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sucks, Dave!
Hope you can get it sorted out.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Would the Daycare's insurance cover it. They should be responsible for the kid's actions while they are under there care, shouldn't they? A nice, calm talk with the guy who saw it (AND tried to stop it, unsuccessfully) might get you some resolution. That seems like a big $ hit for you to take. Good Luck!

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What did the father say. I couldnt just say sorry bout the bike and walk away. I would have offered to handle it the best way possible. Pay the deductable mow your yard or somethin.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's too bad..I blame he parents. I'm in and out of Retail stores all the country and see unbelievable behaviour from kids and the lack of concern from their "Guardians". They turn them loose,expecting the employees to baby-sit and clean up after them. Food stores get hit bad as well as the malls...Geezz
Sorry 'bout your bike,man..I'd push somebody to pay up!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
parents havent contacted us yet.

they know about it, I doubt they know the whole story. the kid was a pro. jumped back after the bike dumped & pointed at my 30# 5 year old as if he somehow did it.

I know what happened.

my boy told me the other kid was up on the bike, sitting on it then he "jumped off"

the bike was parked with the bars turned left, like everybody parks there bikes. well when it landed on it's right side it landed with the bars turned all the way to the right which sent the throttle controls into the tank causing the dents in the tank. The forks didn't flop from left lock to right lock as it went over.. the kid was on it, grabbed the bars & turned them to the right lock which brought the bikes center of gravity more in favor of the right side, then when he jumped off the seat to the left side it was just enough to send the bike over.

Something clever here.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dave, my insurance knowledge is a little rusty, but I don't think it has to occur on the homeowners property. For instance: if a child is playing baseball at a neighbors and breaks a window, the childs parents homeowners would cover it.

Any lawyers or claims adjusters feel free to jump in.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First things first ... once an item is listed for sale, said item is left alone to avoid such accidents (as is the case with your bike right now) ... but I'm sure you've learned that lesson.

Next, regardless of the "accidental nature" of the event, the kid and his parents are responsible for the damage, and I'd be making every effort to ensure they pay every cent so that I don't have to go to my insurance company for anything - simply because that can only hurt your rates, not help.

Likewise, you may very well lose money on the sale of your bike since it's had to have extensive repair work, even if it is just cosmetic ... that's something I'd at least discuss with the parents of the kid who dumped the bike. You should (IMHO) consider the fact that you should have never been on the bike in the first place once it was listed for sale ... but then again it should have never been dumped if the kid would have left it alone.

good luck with it ... hope the parents of the kid who dumped your bike have some integrity and step up to the plate ...

-WGM-
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
WGM, although hard to live with, I have considered everything you've just said previous to reading your post. And I agree, i do regret riding the bike while it's listed for sale.

Like every problem, there are a thousand "what if's"

and of course i do regret bringing the bike there around all those kids.

But what do you do? what do you limit yourself to then? Oh I can't perk it here or there or there because this or that might happen.

There's really nothing I can do, it's done & I have to try to move forward in a way that will get my bike back in shape & hopefully not start a feud between families either.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave

WTF would you guys do??

Go change the add in Craig's list? and look hard for a silver lining. All dark clouds have one smile
Be grateful that it not fall on the kid.

g

Contact your insurance company, let them sort it out as someone is liable.

Last edited by GeoW; 08/26/09.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dave,

I like your perspective, chit happens. Frustrating sometimes, but I'd just be glad the damned thing didn't fall on the kid. It woulda suddenly been all your fault. I'd let it play out for the rest of the day and see what the daycare or parents say. If they don't come thru of their own accord, I'd probably chalk it up to one of those life sucks sometimes moments.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yep... lady luck giveth & murphy taketh away...

so goes it, round & round the world spins...

nobody got hurt.

I'm very thankful for that, it was my actual concern when I told the kid he couldn't play on or around the bike. All I was thinking is that he might burn himself on the hot pipes like I've done myself.

Never crossed my mind that a kid could topple it, the idea never entered my mind.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it twas me, although for the most part I don't believe in abortion, I think that exceptions should sometimes be made retroactively. Parents are responsible for their kids no matter where they are. Hit up the parents. Hard.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Parents are the most responsible party Dave, then the Daycare. I would definitely be getting ahold of my insurance company. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with Les-other than I'm not sure who is more responsible, the parents or the daycare. The parents are paying the daycare a lot of money to watch the kids. The daycare is responsible for the actions of the kid while they are there. Becomes a gray line, but either way, the parents or the daycare need to be the ones paying for this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like the day care doesn't watch the kids like they are payed to do. Day Care is responsible for your damages.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,612
Posts18,532,878
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.