Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can still sell it as flawless, just as Redneck. "No scratches, no dents, no cracks. Sold as-is."

laugh smile

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Send the "perps" parents the bill via a lawyer and be glad the kid wasn't under the bike. The parents would be sending you medical bills.

And, once the bike is repaired, the flaws have been removed!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that the Parents would need to be present for them to be "responsible"??? In this case, when the kids in the Day Care, I think they are the resonsible ones?? Of course as this was at the point the kid was leaving for the day, and so was in the process of being handed over to the parent, the whole thing is liable to be even more murky!

And as Dave told the kid to get off the bike but then failed to keep an eye on the kid/bike, I wonder if a lawyer would try to say that his neglegence contributed to the accident?

Somehow, Dave, I have a feeling that you will have to suck-up and claim off your own insurance, otherwise this will be bogged down for ages....not saying thats "right", but suspect it will be the quickest way forward...

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its a big poop sandwich and your all going to have to take a bite.

Last edited by fluffy; 08/26/09.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
As you surmise, parents aren't usually responsible for this sort of thing but it might be covered under their homeowners policy...if they have one. Doesn't hurt to ask.

yer kiddin' right? Parents are absolute liable for their kids until the courts say so, or the kids turn 18. Pity you dont know the kids parents, get them to pay for it.
The day care has zero responsibility to cover it, unless the kid works there.

Meat is Murder
tasty, tasty murder
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by northern_dave
yeah I'm going to bed guys.

someone let me know if anyone figures out why tom264 is cookin dog turds & posting "Yummmmm"

that's made me forget all about my bike.

thanks for that tom...

grin

Were they battered and fried,or plain?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fluffy
Its a big poop sandwich and your all going to have to take a bite.
All the ones I've been served came without the bread.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
All the ones I've been served came without the bread.

Buns were involved however.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
well guys. little reflection on places I've been, things I've seen, things i've done... stuff we all know (problem wise)

this bike issue is small. Lots of people would love to trade there problems for this little material issue.

I was a younger man, a boy I suppose.. in the 1st gulf war.

It wasn't fun, not at all, it was quite the opposite & I made a promise to myself back then that I would never kid myself, that I would never develop a selective memory & only remember the stuff I chose to remember.

It was important to me back then because I was sure that those times and moments in my life were the worse I would ever experience.

a benchmark of sorts to wash out what ever troubles I may have from that point forward.

This aint a problem, hardly a bump in the road.

my claim is started, on my own insurance. it's going to be fine. I'll do the labor myself & may be able to even earn my deductable back. no prob.

done.

I think it was a scene from talladega nights where the guy on the bus or subway says "Problems? I don't want to hear about your damn problems! Everybody's got problems! My momma got problems she just lost her leg! My cousin Pookie just lost a testicle! My dog just threw up somebody's finger! That's a problem!"

he says some other stuff to that's not allowed on the campfire... grin

god i love stupid movies.

thanks for the concerns everyone.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave, Great attitude, your kids are lucky to grow and learn from such a man.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good attitude. Remember that the parents will be getting a bill from your insurance company for what they have to pay. Wasn't your fault after all. Might make them put some boundries on the little turd.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Medina
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
As you surmise, parents aren't usually responsible for this sort of thing but it might be covered under their homeowners policy...if they have one. Doesn't hurt to ask.

yer kiddin' right? Parents are absolute liable for their kids until the courts say so, or the kids turn 18. Pity you dont know the kids parents, get them to pay for it.
The day care has zero responsibility to cover it, unless the kid works there.

Just for the record, no, I'm not kidding. Barring additional factors, parents aren't liable.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First month after we moved into our house, I had a neighbor kid come over on his bike. He turned around in my driveway and I noticed he was stuck. Went over and he was dragging his brake lever on the handle bars down my pretty new (about a year and a half old) Audi. I bit my lip and went inside, never bringing it up with the new neighbors. But a year or so later when he was playing on our swingset and slipped on the lader, busting his lip, I was ready in case they came knocking.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just adding humor..........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And as Dave told the kid to get off the bike but then failed to keep an eye on the kid/bike, I wonder if a lawyer would try to say that his neglegence contributed to the accident?

Bingo.

I'd be grateful that the bike didn't land on a kid.

A lawyer would construe it that Dave brought the bike to a parking outside a building that he had reason to believe contained small children, and then left a heavy, unstable machine insufficiently attended outside said building.

The kid is six, no way is he legally responsible for his actions. His parents weren't on the scene, no way to blame them either. If the kid had gotten crushed both the daycare and Dave would be liable.

Dave, you scratched up yer bike, like you said, stuff happens. Coulda easily been much worse, even if all the kid got was a broken leg.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I guess the kid is almost 8 and he failed to comprehend or simply ignored some strict and stern warnings from 2 adult men. 3 times he heard it from me and once from the daycare provider's husband. My boy is 5 and would never behave in such a way. This kid has 3 years on my boy, he knows better, he just chose to not listen. There were several other children attracted to the shiny bike that listened & went off in another direction to play after some simple & calmly spoken instruction from me "hey kids, the bike is very hot and it's dangerous to play around please stay away from it ok?" The other kids equal of age to this boy and younger all drifeted off in another direction & went on playing away from the bike. This kid indeed is a special one.

Regardless, I'm not pursuing any sort of contest with any parties. I'm handling the issue on my own, yes of course I am thankful the kid didn't dump the bike on himself or on my 5 year old who was in the same general area.

I really do hope that the parents realize what they've got on there hands with this boy though. For the safety of the boy & others around him. They are farmers for christ sakes & many of us know that a farm is no place for a careless unruly child.

Something clever here.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
They are farmers for christ sakes & many of us know that a farm is no place for a careless unruly child.

There sure seems to be lots of guys here that were perfect little gentlemen as kids. I think most of you are full of crap. smirk

Dave, my homeowners insurance would cover this. If yours doesn't, small town politics makes it complicated, but I would probably ask the kid's folks to pay or at least split the bill. If I figured the money would cause some hardship then I would just eat it.

However, if Cougar Momma drops off the kid at daycare in her Caddy I might insist.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the kid is probably 6 or 7..

When I was that age and dad said not to do something I darn sure didn't do it! In this modern Dr. Spock era dads don't remove enough hide off little boys azz's. That destines many of them to spend part of their adult lives with me. What the heck, JOB SECURITY!!

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally would still go after the kids parents. Of course, most everybody is glad the kid didn't hurt himself. That's besides the point. Even if he had, it wouldn't be your fault. The kids parents should pay up for sure. Because of the way the daycare is set-up (somebody's home), no doubt their insurance would have to step-up too as this kid was in their care at the time of the "accident."

What would you do if your kid dumped somebody's bike?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by remfak

What would you do if your kid dumped somebody's bike?

exactly.

still the same, i'm handling it. I do think the parents need to know and understand how serious it could have been though.

otherwise no lesson is learned from any of this.

Something clever here.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

721 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,739
Posts18,476,029
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.