Home
I know I'm gonna take a ration of [bleep] just for asking this: but for the singlish guys out there, when you meet a woman you're interested in, do you intentionally avoid the topic of guns and hunting while feeling out her attitudes towards same? Reason I ask is I met this vet the other day at the airport and was afraid to tell her much about myself because I was afraid she was a bunny hugger. Pretty much everything I do is gun or hunting related(I'm also an FFL, which isn't something I bring up early), but it's a topic I'm afraid to bring it up when I'm either looking for a date or trying to get in someone's pantalones.
Maybe it's just been ingrained in me that anyone who isn't obviously a hunter is therefore anti-hunting. But I know that isn't true, as most people I meet have at least a casual interest in it.
Anyway, I'm serious, and kind of embarrassed to even ask this, but I'm curious how some you approach or avoid the subject.
Serious answer,...although it may not seem that way because I have difficulty wording my responses in a manner which is taken seriously,...but,..back when I was in the business of meeting women, I was much too involved trying to impress them enough with my suave demeanor to get in her britches to talk much about any of my hobbies.
What are you looking for? Getting laid or having a relationship?
Nope. If they are that far against it and you are that far for it, then what is the point in trying? I shoot skeet/pistols/rifles/varmit hunt/bird hunt with my gf and her dad religiously every sunday, if they are against it from the start it will never work. Get the petty bs out of that way at the start I say.
Long run, something serious, but even if I'm just trying to get laid (and you got to start somewhere, and sometimes that's where we start), at some point the topic of what I do for living ends up coming up. Obviously long term she's got to be prohunting, but I'm just curious if any of you try to avoid the topic, like I sometimes do, but probably shouldn't.
I never avoid the inevvetible. Its gonna come out eventually and if its a deal breaker now it will be a deal breaker then, could save lots of time, emotion, and money to air it out from the start
Naw I think he is handling it right, I would wait until we were good and comfortable with each other, then talk about it, she'll be less likely to let it define you.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Long run, something serious, but even if I'm just trying to get laid (and you got to start somewhere, and sometimes that's where we start), at some point the topic of what I do for living ends up coming up. Obviously long term she's got to be prohunting, but I'm just curious if any of you try to avoid the topic, like I sometimes do, but probably shouldn't.

My advice for a relationship... focus on her. Women love to talk, and if you seem interested enough in what they have to say you will find out everything you need to know. Try to not talk about yourself.
That's kind of the way I play it, try not to let the topic of myself come up, that way she feels flattered, and I don't risk turning her off til she's interested enough to bother asking me about myself.
Okay, I do not get on here often, but my other half (NO NOT BETTER) asked me to answer from the lady's perspective....so...Just be upfront. If you do not start off with what your beliefs are, then you may be down the road and have no way to bring it up. Do not be overly blunt, just true to yourself and beliefs, That is just my opinion.
That's My Lady!
But downplay it a little? Cause my job (s) hobbies, volunteer time and edjimication are all hunting related.
So??? If you just want a few nights with her, than maybe. But really, it seems that you are dedicated to things that go bang. And what is wrong with that? If a girl can not handle that, then maybe she does not deserve to be in your pants.
Like the way you think!
Well, it is just the way some ladies think....those that like to carry and shoot.
If I don't like and respect the lady, and if the feeling's not mutual I have no interest in "conquering" her. Saying the "outdoors, photography, hunting, hiking, and fishing" is both a true statement for me, and honest without being too blunt about it. If she gets squeamish over that statement I know I am wasting my time.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Long run, something serious, but even if I'm just trying to get laid (and you got to start somewhere, and sometimes that's where we start), at some point the topic of what I do for living ends up coming up. ...

Honesty is the best policy, but in the short term you don't have to jump in with both feet about it. However, if the question comes up, don't be evasive. Any reasonably intelligent woman will sniff that out right away. Just give a concise answer and only flesh out the description more if she asks.
I usually ask her if she can swim a half mile with a dead duck in her mouth.
The last two gents have truth about it, ladies will know when you are not being upfront. Most women I know do not like that. It is better to be upfront, without being too over the top.
Not in reference to Jocko..but Gringo and Tex. I know I can swim....never needed to with a duck.
xbio

The mistake you are making is even thinking they want to talk about you. smile
Here in Idaho, hunting is part of the state's culture. Half the population here hunts. The average home has 2 1/2 guns. Now of the half who don't about half of them hate guns and hunting i.e. a quarter of the population. The other quarter who don't hunt don't really seem to care either way. So if you move here the odds are good.

I used to live in California. A urban perception of hunters is they are dangerous knuckle dragging rednecks. Get out to a less overpopulated locales, visit rural Countys where your considered a normal guy if you hunt.

I don't know your age or were you meet women. If your into the bar scene go to a country bar and act yourself. If you use internet personal sites mention that part of your being an out of doorsman is you enjoy camping, fishing and hunting. Just because a woman has never done these activities doesn't mean that she wouldn't be interested.

Lastly look for woman who grew up where hunting and fishing is accepted. Fly over country States. My wife is from South Dakota. She doesn't hunt but half her family does.

I hope this helps you. Good luck! Keep trying. There are a lot of good women out who want to meet a good man. We're friends with several. Ask your friends if they know someone suitable and meet for coffee. Use self control. Staying out of their pants for a few dates helps establish trust.
Try this one after a little small talk, ain't saying it will work, but it could sure find out a few things.....

Guy: So you miss Bush yet?

Her: Excuse me?

Guy: Do you miss 'W' yet? I mean all this hope and change sure dose not seem to be doing trick!

Her: 'W' was a moron, you vote for him? As I sure didn't, I can't believe you would ask a question like that? I bet you belong to the NRA with millions of other idiots just like you?

Her again: I bet you drive a big-ass truck and deny that it's trucks like yours that are giving us this climate crisis?

Her still, she ain't shutting up anytime soon: To answer your question, I am so glad 'W' is out of there, you probably voted for that wrinkly old guy and that bambi-killing phony from that really cold place, Canada or somewhere who-da-hell cares!

Or....

Guy: So you miss Bush yet?

Her: Excuse me?

Guy: Do you miss 'W' yet? I mean all this hope and change sure dose not seem to be doing trick!

Her: That's what I thought you said! It's funny isn't it? I mean that Kenyon can't seem to get anything right! I think we know why he never showed any-one his collage records!

Guy: Really? Wow! I was just having fun! It is really fantastic to hear that! I was a little afraid that we might not have a lot in-common.

Really exaggerated, not that I get it right very often, but I sure do not want to waste a lot of time when there are going to be future 'issues'.
That last post was funny, but may not be too helpful. Just be yourself.
Honestly I did not read the whole thread. I'm just going on your ? BE YOUR SELF,HIDE NOTHING. works better that way. Not everyone likes me but; thats O.K. I sleep well.
Just tell them up front.If they don't like it,well you just saved yourself some wasted time and effort.

And don't worry about it-if a woman thinks you're cute and nice to talk to,she's going to want to sleep with you,regardless of your right wing lifestyle.Will she want to be in a long term relationship with you?Probably not,but after a couple rides in the sack you'll probably be tired of her BS anyway and you'll keep on looking for someone who actually takes an interest in what you like.

Brian.
I met a vet, taught her to shoot and hunt and married her. Hardest thing to do now is to get her to let me shoot something. She wants all the trigger time -- and she's GOOD!
Hey, maybe she's a "closet" hunter/shooter and would welcome you breaking the ice on the subject.
If she's an anti-gun, anti-hunting type, you're probably barking up the wrong tree anyway.
Jerry
The best stick men are all pathological liars. The just listen to what a woman says, figure out what she wants to hear, and then tell her that. The pretense of being a very emotional and/orpassionate person helps too. Then they get laid and just move one.

If she looks like a keeper just tell her the truth about anything that pops up to see if she rolls with the punches. The ones that want to control what you think, say or do aren't worth having around and so you can sort the wheat from the chaffe in a hurry.
When I was single (42 years ago) I never raised the subject of my hobbies and interests, until I was asked. Then I'd casually mention golf, hunting, mechanical (i.e., firearms) design, etc., not emphasizing any subject too much. Then, it was up to the woman to delve into the subject further.

I still follow this approach today.
As far as you lady Vet goes. Don't worry about it. If she's been out of school a year the [bleep] she has seen has toughend her up to handle about anything. She'll take it or leave it based on her life before and you won't change that any more than she will make you eat tofu. FWIW I do not know any anti-hunting DVMs that are worth the time of day. I probably know 30 female DVMs off the top of my head.

A really good way to get to know each other is to go find a used record/CD store and go shopping. Next go find some decent wine and go home to see what you bough at the music store. If you get lucky both of you get laid and she wants to see how your reloading stuff works.

Personally, I would avoid the Lady DVMs. You might wake up some day with an armload of ketamine and a trach tube down your throat.

I never had that problem. I guess it's that big NRA sticker and the deer hunting stuff I keep in my truck. You have to decide if it;s a relationship you want, or a hit and run. Be straight either way.
Good Topic !!

I have a few qualifying questions I try to work in when I meet woman:

Do you eat meat ? They betta say yes to this one !!

Do you drink alcohol at least socially ?

What are your thoughts on gun ownership?

What do you think about hunting ?

Believe it or not you can work this in within a half hour conversation very easily.

There is nothing worse than working backwards in a relationship, If you have certain beliefs or values that are important to you it's good to get them out there in the beginning.

Now here comes the close !!!!!!! Pay good attention !!!!!! It works !!!!!

I have a picture of one of my "bear rugs" on my I-phone open screen and I show them the picture and wait for their reaction:

If she thinks its awful and is appalled you say goodnight and move on !!

If she tells you "I always wanted to have sex on a "bear rug" you know you have a keeper !!!!!!

Dino
Originally Posted by smithwr
Nope. If they are that far against it and you are that far for it, then what is the point in trying? I shoot skeet/pistols/rifles/varmit hunt/bird hunt with my gf and her dad religiously every sunday, if they are against it from the start it will never work. Get the petty bs out of that way at the start I say.
I'm in your camp on this one..

Be true to yourself first... The rest will follow..
When I was in that game, the subject was one of the first things talked about, hunting,fishing and camping. The first date with my wife was a camping trip on the river along with fishing and some target shooting. Must have gone well as we have been together for over 45 years.
Originally Posted by crosshair
You have to decide if it;s a relationship you want, or a hit and run. Be straight either way.

Good advice here.

Nothing worse than getting attached and then finding out there's going to be an issue because of your lifestyle (regarding hunting and such)

I dated a girl once and it was only after 6 months or so that I realized that things weren't going to work out long term. That was mainly because I was working Public Safety and her brother was a member of a Columbian drug cartel. I only found this out after the death threats.

But it was fun while it lasted.....

I was dating a girl once and dropped her because of death threats...

And there was no cartel involved.... shocked

ingwe
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by crosshair
You have to decide if it;s a relationship you want, or a hit and run. Be straight either way.

Good advice here.

Nothing worse than getting attached and then finding out there's going to be an issue because of your lifestyle (regarding hunting and such)

I've been there. I've told a woman repeatedly that I wasn't looking for a serious relationship and she still gave it up. Oh well, I took it. Of course some of them think that is going to change your mind, like there ain't about 750 million in the world just like it. If all she has is a good one, well that ain't enough.

Now if this woman thinks you are going to change your entire life for her she can just forget it. I told my wife from early on, 'I'll share my life with you, not give it to you."
I would love to give you a serious reply, but I just can't seem to. I am completely transparent. I've got buddies that tell girls they're novelists, professors, businessmen... I've even had them use my name and give the girls my number. That makes for fun and often confusing morning after calls. Especially when they don't believe me, and think I'm one of my friends giving her the dust off.

I had a pretty little blond hippie girl in college that took a real liking to me. I tend to stay away from the hippie types. Seeing someone floss their teeth with their hair is usually a turn off, but this girl was in my animal sciences classes and really liked me. She wasn't the cleanest and smelled like her favorite perfume was "Eau de Bong Water" but it's hard to resist a pretty girl that comes to class, sits on your lap and kisses you in lecture hall every day. I went out with her and avoided the subject of hunting for months. She was a vegan and I knew it would break her heart.

Her Dad threw her out and she came to live with me for a while. I got to talking about it with her and started to notice all the dirty looks from her friends. Her best little buddy gave me a hard time, but she got hospitalized for anemia (healthy people, those vegans). She eventually moved away to California. I saw her years ago back home working in a pet store. I had a hard time with the vegan part, and have since decided to get the outdoorsy thing right out front. I don't think I could live without it and any woman that is interesting enough to get with should know it.
I've never thought there was anything wrong with sharing who and what you are. It might be wise to wait a while before insisting she clean the fish you bring home. JMO, Dutch.
Yep, it depends on your intentions. If you think its going to be a long term relationship and you want to be happy, you better let her know your a hunter. There are plenty of good women out there who will accept it.
I always start out by asking if they like to ride horses, shoot guns, ride 4 wheelers, etc.... Thats just the way I roll... Have dated a slightly hippie chick or 2 but they all like to do that stuff too... You never know what you might get..
Be honest with her from the get go. Always be yourself not someone your buddies would like and then someone else when you are with her, you are you, and that should be good enough for everyone in your life.

Some may not like the idea of you being a hunter and will stay that way, others who come to care for you will see how much it means to you, and care enough to take an interest in it, or at the least they will just sit back and let you get on with your hunting with no crap attached.

Up front and personal, it's the only way to go from the beginning....

Originally Posted by Miss Lynn

Up front and personal, it's the only way to go from the beginning....

True dat, anything else is just wasting time for both of you..

Unles it is just a hit-n-run...mutually consented upon, of course! grin

Ingwe
Being honest doesn't mean that ya have to tell everything ya know.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Being honest doesn't mean that ya have to tell everything ya know.

Amen.
sack her as soon as possible. if she is no good in the sack move on as she never will be. and you don't have to waste a bunch of time on her.
This is complicated because people are like that. Remember that the girl you first talk to may not tell the truth either about the shooting sports. Once you tell what you do for a living then come right out that you like guns. Let it flow from there.

If it goes to a date and another date don't try to remake her and her friends. If you hear those PETA or no meat etc. words just let her go. Your not going to change someone that much and then trust them. Would you change that much?
Unless one is willing to change his/her character or interests, we might as well be honest up front. One does not need to flaunt things, but be honest. Very efficient and will save a lot of time.

On our first outings, my wife was on the other side. Looking over my shoulder, she would be going "run, run!" About 4 years into the marriage, she expressed an interest in taking a deer. Nailed one at just over 400 yds with my 6mm Rem. I really loved that rifle, but she won't let me use it anymore. She will not go after warm fuzzies, but big game beware. Deer, pronghorn (all bigger than mine), and elk so far.
like linoleum

lay it right the first time you can walk all over it for 20 years.

the "time" to bring it up is when you're riding tall in the saddle

right in the middle of her exclaiming "jesus, joseph, jeosophant"

holler out, yeah baby it's good, dang near as good as whackin Bambi!

problem solved

course you might have explain that Bambi ain't your favorite girl down at the strip club
I met my wife on a Christian online dating site. One of the women i talked to VERY briefly looked at one of my profile photos with an orange vest, binocs, and rifle and asked if I liked to hunt. She strongly indicated that she was opposed. I immediately gave her the benefits of eating organic, non-hormone, grass fed, free range elk meat. Never heard from her again. No loss. My new wife LOVES elk meat.

Get it out in the open ASAP. You'll be glad you did.
You are who you are, if they can't deal then they are not for me...my girl is an animal lover and doesn't really care for hunting, when she first came to my home and saw all my mounts she nearly freaked...now she accepts it short of me telling here all the gory details. I'll say I killed a deer and she responds "boy or girl". I take her shooting and she digs that. Just be your self... of course I have other skill to make up for me being a hunter cool
© 24hourcampfire