Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know I'm gonna take a ration of [bleep] just for asking this: but for the singlish guys out there, when you meet a woman you're interested in, do you intentionally avoid the topic of guns and hunting while feeling out her attitudes towards same? Reason I ask is I met this vet the other day at the airport and was afraid to tell her much about myself because I was afraid she was a bunny hugger. Pretty much everything I do is gun or hunting related(I'm also an FFL, which isn't something I bring up early), but it's a topic I'm afraid to bring it up when I'm either looking for a date or trying to get in someone's pantalones.
Maybe it's just been ingrained in me that anyone who isn't obviously a hunter is therefore anti-hunting. But I know that isn't true, as most people I meet have at least a casual interest in it.
Anyway, I'm serious, and kind of embarrassed to even ask this, but I'm curious how some you approach or avoid the subject.

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/25/10.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Serious answer,...although it may not seem that way because I have difficulty wording my responses in a manner which is taken seriously,...but,..back when I was in the business of meeting women, I was much too involved trying to impress them enough with my suave demeanor to get in her britches to talk much about any of my hobbies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are you looking for? Getting laid or having a relationship?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nope. If they are that far against it and you are that far for it, then what is the point in trying? I shoot skeet/pistols/rifles/varmit hunt/bird hunt with my gf and her dad religiously every sunday, if they are against it from the start it will never work. Get the petty bs out of that way at the start I say.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Long run, something serious, but even if I'm just trying to get laid (and you got to start somewhere, and sometimes that's where we start), at some point the topic of what I do for living ends up coming up. Obviously long term she's got to be prohunting, but I'm just curious if any of you try to avoid the topic, like I sometimes do, but probably shouldn't.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I never avoid the inevvetible. Its gonna come out eventually and if its a deal breaker now it will be a deal breaker then, could save lots of time, emotion, and money to air it out from the start

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Naw I think he is handling it right, I would wait until we were good and comfortable with each other, then talk about it, she'll be less likely to let it define you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Long run, something serious, but even if I'm just trying to get laid (and you got to start somewhere, and sometimes that's where we start), at some point the topic of what I do for living ends up coming up. Obviously long term she's got to be prohunting, but I'm just curious if any of you try to avoid the topic, like I sometimes do, but probably shouldn't.

My advice for a relationship... focus on her. Women love to talk, and if you seem interested enough in what they have to say you will find out everything you need to know. Try to not talk about yourself.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's kind of the way I play it, try not to let the topic of myself come up, that way she feels flattered, and I don't risk turning her off til she's interested enough to bother asking me about myself.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Okay, I do not get on here often, but my other half (NO NOT BETTER) asked me to answer from the lady's perspective....so...Just be upfront. If you do not start off with what your beliefs are, then you may be down the road and have no way to bring it up. Do not be overly blunt, just true to yourself and beliefs, That is just my opinion.

Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often. Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's My Lady!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But downplay it a little? Cause my job (s) hobbies, volunteer time and edjimication are all hunting related.

Last edited by exbiologist; 01/25/10.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
So??? If you just want a few nights with her, than maybe. But really, it seems that you are dedicated to things that go bang. And what is wrong with that? If a girl can not handle that, then maybe she does not deserve to be in your pants.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Like the way you think!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well, it is just the way some ladies think....those that like to carry and shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I don't like and respect the lady, and if the feeling's not mutual I have no interest in "conquering" her. Saying the "outdoors, photography, hunting, hiking, and fishing" is both a true statement for me, and honest without being too blunt about it. If she gets squeamish over that statement I know I am wasting my time.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Long run, something serious, but even if I'm just trying to get laid (and you got to start somewhere, and sometimes that's where we start), at some point the topic of what I do for living ends up coming up. ...

Honesty is the best policy, but in the short term you don't have to jump in with both feet about it. However, if the question comes up, don't be evasive. Any reasonably intelligent woman will sniff that out right away. Just give a concise answer and only flesh out the description more if she asks.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I usually ask her if she can swim a half mile with a dead duck in her mouth.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The last two gents have truth about it, ladies will know when you are not being upfront. Most women I know do not like that. It is better to be upfront, without being too over the top.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not in reference to Jocko..but Gringo and Tex. I know I can swim....never needed to with a duck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 44 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,263
Posts18,504,873
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.