Home
Apparently guns bring in lots of revenue. Who knew? wink

Just saw that myself and was going to post it.

They were making a policy at one time of videotaping any gun purchaser. They still doing that?

I like this line at the end of the article.

Additionally, Walmart recently realized that it had lost over $1 billion in sales by retooling stores in response to a perceived customer demand for less clutter.

True, but the "clutter" everyone was complaining about can be seen at www.peopleofwalmart.com grin

Saw the story yesterday, it made me smile. smile

K-Mart next?
Now all they gotta due is weed out the idiots and place some people in there with at least SOME minimal knowledge.Our local store North of us had a real azz clown working there a couple years back and when the wife and I shopped I would always go to sporting goods for some entertainment!!
Wall Mart has a new guy at the helm and is listening to some good (industry) people. The new guy knows that what WM did in the past really was some bad publicity for the store and upset a lot of their standard customers. Not only are they bringing it all back they will grow the dept some.
Yes, I've noticed the firearms have returned to the local Wal-Marts. Good to see.
Now if they put someone in that department that knows [bleep] about guns I'll fall over. But then how much gun knowledge you going to get from someone in one of those Obama career jobs that barely pay more than minimum wage.
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE

I like this line at the end of the article.

Additionally, Walmart recently realized that it had lost over $1 billion in sales by retooling stores in response to a perceived customer demand for less clutter.

True, but the "clutter" everyone was complaining about can be seen at www.peopleofwalmart.com grin

This guy is obviously a poster here...camo and Viking fan...or it that LSU?

[Linked Image]
That's LSU.

Probably GeauxLSU, in fact.
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Now all they gotta due is weed out the idiots and place some people in there with at least SOME minimal knowledge.Our local store North of us had a real azz clown working there a couple years back and when the wife and I shopped I would always go to sporting goods for some entertainment!!
You have nailed it local store had a total idiot running sporting goods. Ammo always out of stock or wrong type for the local area. Even the fishing dept. was poorly kept hope they get it together. The things I need most often could be found at wally world before the new guy took over . They need a real shooter/fisherman to run the dept.
Target has been eating their lunch for a while now. Wally World probably figures it needs to get back to its American roots.

Hopefully WW will use Targets "Progressive" charity philosophy against it. Any business that promotes gay & lesbian causes and abortion rights ahead of the Marines Toys for Tots and the Salvation Army needs to go.

Ed
Walmart move to town selling fire arms. They ran out the local mom/pop gunsmith. Then they stop caring guns. ...

I stopped shopping at walmart when they did that. Looks like others did the same.
I work at the local Walmart gun counter. We sell a TON of ammo every year. Infact, we have a hard time keeping the shelves stocked. But our selection is also small and basic. Our behind the counter gun collection is small and basic as well. I wish someone in Arkansa would let us pick and choose guns that are more popular for this region. I think our selection could be improved and sales would go up.

The other issue is customer service. We are chronically short on associate help. I find myself at other departments and if I'm in Hardware or Tire, I cannot give customer service to the Sporting Goods customers. That irritates the hell out of me. I think the lack of customer service has cost Walmart dearly and people are going else where to shop.

Another issue is they don't hire folks with some kind of gun background. Another store in our area also sells guns. They have NO associates with any gun knowledge. They have a bigger Sporting Goods section but are struggling selling guns and ammo. kwg
heard that on the radio a day or so ago. Around here, they never stopped selling ammo, and most sold guns. The new Super WalMart did not stock guns when they opened, but the sporting goods manager says they will soon.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
That's LSU.

Probably GeauxLSU, in fact.
It's definitely a Vikings fan.
Just go with me on that.
Please.
I'm really surprised they sell firearms at 1/3 of their stores according to their article. I have no doubt I'd have to drive by 10 walmarts around here before I found 1 that sold guns. Matter of fact, I don't know of one that does anymore and this is the burbs in the south. However, if they literally do bring them back to 1/2 their stores... GREAT! The hunting/fishing section was reduced to next to nothing prior to the 're-tooling' and since it is about one half of one short row and it's generally seasonal at best.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wal-Mart Getting Back Into Gun Business At Many Stores
By Chris Morran on April 27, 2011 4:48 PM 0 views
After several years of selling rifles and ammunition at only one-third of its stores in the U.S., Walmart has decided to introduce the products back to store shelves in nearly half of its 3,600+ stores.

"We made a business decision to sell them in certain stores because we have realized the appeal was perhaps broader than we thought," a Walmart rep tells the Wall Street Journal. "But we are committed to doing it responsibly as possible, as always, in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws."

The Journal reports that most of the Walmarts where rifles are being reintroduced are in rural markets, some of these stores are in more urbanized areas like Spokane, WA, and Albuquerque.

The move comes as the nation's largest retailer attempts to recover from seven straight quarters of declining sales. Walmart has already announced that it is cutting back on the amount of floor space dedicated to electronics in an attempt to get back to selling products like hunting and fishing gear, low-cost clothing, and fabric.

Wal-Mart Expands Gun Sales [WSJ]
Kel-Tec and WM would be a good match. Not much or need to know about the product as Kel-Tec handles issues directly with the end user very well. Could maybe see $100 price drop on the SU-16.grin
The Walmart CEO was in New York city this week stating "The increase in gas prices the last 2 months has forced consumers out of their stores the last week of the month until the customers are paid again the first week of the next month.

The CEO also stated "The gas price increases on the family budget has left little disposable income at the end of the month".

Doc
Originally Posted by Doctor_Encore
The Walmart CEO was in New York city this week stating "The increase in gas prices the last 2 months has forced consumers out of their stores the last week of the month until the customers are paid again the first week of the next month.

The CEO also stated "The gas price increases on the family budget has left little disposable income at the end of the month".

Doc

When do welfare checks come out?
I am sure yours is on the way.
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
I'm really surprised they sell firearms at 1/3 of their stores according to their article. I have no doubt I'd have to drive by 10 walmarts around here before I found 1 that sold guns. Matter of fact, I don't know of one that does anymore and this is the burbs in the south. However, if they literally do bring them back to 1/2 their stores... GREAT! The hunting/fishing section was reduced to next to nothing prior to the 're-tooling' and since it is about one half of one short row and it's generally seasonal at best.

It's very much urban vs. suburban/rural in their gun sales. I know of only one Walmart around here that doesn't sell guns. In Nashville, the Walmarts outside the Metro sold guns and the Walmart in Cartersville, GA sold guns.

I think you would find that as soon as you get 25 miles radius outside I-285, the Walmarts sell guns in North GA.
Sorry Mannlicher, I didn't realize that shopping at Walmart was so close to your heart...
The firearms never left my Wal-mart in Deridder, LA. Wonder why some stores stopped selling and others didn't. I am glad they ae selling again though, it's good for guns sales and just the general perception that guns are a part of everyday life.
They pulled them out of Illifoidea long ago, and they aren't ever coming back. They still sell ammo though, and they always have a pretty good selection, at least in my locale. They never even ran low during the rush.
Never saw one that sold guns. Did see some that sold crap made to look like them though....
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

It's very much urban vs. suburban/rural in their gun sales. I know of only one Walmart around here that doesn't sell guns. In Nashville, the Walmarts outside the Metro sold guns and the Walmart in Cartersville, GA sold guns.

I think you would find that as soon as you get 25 miles radius outside I-285, the Walmarts sell guns in North GA.
I'm 15 miles outside 285. None. My cabin is 60 miles outside of 285. None. Last one I saw was in extreme south Georgia. frown
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
K-Mart next?

K mart was where I found this brand new Ruger.
A .22 they called the 10/22.
It was somthin like $69

I raced home, cleaned out my tobacco change can and snapped one up!
Originally Posted by 16bore
Never saw one that sold guns. Did see some that sold crap made to look like them though....

Wally World?
It will be interesting to see what they carry.

It won't be within the city limits of Columbus. Ain't NO guns allowed sold there.

Three feet away the shops make rake in the drug $$'s!
In PA, they all sell guns. I can't remember one that doesn't
6 or 7 years ago, when I still lived near there, the Wal Mart in Jackson, OH not only sold rifle & shotguns, but reloading equipment and components like: brass, bullets, & primers. (The manager was a gun guy.)

When I lived in Harvey, LA sometime around '92 and '93, I bought a Rossi 511 .22lr handgun at Walmart. IIRC, they "pulled" all their hanguns from their stores when the O.J. Simpson verdict/ rioting started.
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Wally World?
It will be interesting to see what they carry.

It won't be within the city limits of Columbus. Ain't NO guns allowed sold there.

Three feet away the shops make rake in the drug $$'s!

Remington is tooling up for a schit pile of 770's...Guess Mossberg will have their day, and New England Firearms will finally hit paydirt. Yipee...blister pack scopes will fly off the shelves.

Eventually some idiot will figure out a package deal that will sell for same amount as an unemployment or welfare check.

Yes, they were high and mighty to save the world by reducing the number of guns on the streets until they saw how it shaved their margins...dumbphucks.

The reason they stopped selling guns is that their employees were not capable of handling the paperwork and legal requirements. The Feds fined Walmart for failing to follow the correct procedures.
They never stopped selling guns in this area, over the counter or can/could still be special ordered. Guns were removed from Wally's web site a few years ago.
Now perhaps Sears/Kmart will wakethephuck up.
I hate big box stores - except Costco - and I've some problems with them.

It isn't only Walmart- When Fred Meyer first came to Soldotna, Alaska, there was a whole section of bass lures....... which just don't work well for trout, halibut, and salmon. Apparently they decided the Des Moines template (or wherever) was good enough to start with.... no local input/consideration required.

Hell, fisherman will bite anything flashy, right? smile
Don't knock the bass plugs! The Wal-Mart sporting goods manager used to live right across the street and always called when they had ridiculous good deals. They had returned a huge dishpack of bass plugs because they would not sell... Home office sent them again and said they would sell... after the second go around they decided to toss them rather than send them back. Manager called and asked if I wanted them as they had to toss the boxes... I got several cubic feet of loose plugs for nothing... pike like 'em.
I just noticed that my local Wal mart started filling it's gun racks back up as well...
I have not seen them in SC store for years, don't care if they start back or not.
Started working at Wal-mart truck shop in June 2002 as a Trailer mechanic. 4 years later a position opened up as a warranty clerk and I went for it. Computer work and it's clean with no more grease under the finger-nails. They had a program during Xmas time which every associate got an extra 10% off on one big ticket item.

With 20% off at Xmas time, I purchased a Remington Sportsman 11/87 12ga 28" VR RC full camo for $289.00
Try and find one now for that price.

Next Xmas I purchased a Remington 700 243 for $291.00
Heck ! You can't even buy a used receiver for that much. I used this rifle for my E R Shaw 358 Win build. Action was cheap enough. Even with our normal 10% discount depending on the price of the firearm it still gives us the extra money to purchase the bases & rings.

Ken
I'm going to expose myself as the naive one here. I had no idea that Walmart as a whole was out of the gun business. I've lived in several places from Upstate NY to Huntsville, AL. and every walmart that I've lived near has always had firearms to sell. From the sounds of things, I've just been lucky in my locations! Interesting to know.

I do know that Walmart has sold firearms on their webpage for years. They just haven't offered anything that I was particularly looking for.

I really hope this doesn't start driving mom and pop gun shops out of business. That's one bit of Americana that I'm pretty fond of. Then again so is capitalism and the free marketplace. It's just the relationships built at mom and pop stores cannot be replaced.....

"Hey Ralph whacha got new today?"
"Not much, how's the wife and boy? I heard your boy did will in that ballgame Friday."
"They're good, thanks for asking. Yeah, junior made the old man proud. Speaking of kids, did you hear about that monster fish The Johnsons boy caught last week?"

Yeah, you don't get that kind of dialogue or relationship at Walmart.....
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
K-Mart next?

NO---Michael Moore is next up.

So what are you calling crap? Here wally world sells winchester, weatherby, remington, henry, savage and browning and will take special orders?
Her is the link to there special order catalog.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/SpecialOrderGunCatalog.pdf?_mm=icamp
don't forget the Mossbergs. Special orders are a real slap in your local guys face, sure he appreciates it.
No slap I buy where I get the best service and price.I bought 1 at WW and 4 at local shops and one on line
Who wouldda guessed that if you take away what customers want to buy, they stop coming to your store. crazy
Originally Posted by 264wm

I see they sell Howas, that ought to make Swampy happy. crazy
I may be wrong but I believe they stopped selling handguns
because of a customer suicide in one of the stores back
in the 90s.
From my experience with local guys that is no loss. I have no idea as I moved around the nation how many times I would walk into a local dealer and stand unwaited on (neatly dressed, shaved, military haircut) and browse near the register obviously seeking assistance. Meanwhile the operator stood near gossiping with the locals around the coffee pot about Friday nights football game, who was screwing whose wife, daughter, etc until I walked out in disgust (10-20 minutes). If I speak out and request assistance it was treated as a major nuisance. For this I am to pay a 10 to 20 percent premium?

No thanks. I will deal with Walmart, Gun Broker or other big box/online auction and have it sent through the local pawn shop that has the lowest processing fee. Problem? On the 1 in a 100 chance I have issues with a firearm I am a big boy and can deal with manufacturers or find a gunsmith myself. My thoughts are most local dealers deserve to die and small loss to the community, either municipal or sporting.

No slap I buy where I get the best service and price.I bought 1 at WW and 4 at local shops and one on line
Kmart try ans it was to late for them this took place in the late 90s
Originally Posted by Altjaeger
From my experience with local guys that is no loss. I have no idea as I moved around the nation how many times I would walk into a local dealer and stand unwaited on (neatly dressed, shaved, military haircut) and browse near the register obviously seeking assistance. Meanwhile the operator stood near gossiping with the locals around the coffee pot about Friday nights football game, who was screwing whose wife, daughter, etc until I walked out in disgust (10-20 minutes). If I speak out and request assistance it was treated as a major nuisance. For this I am to pay a 10 to 20 percent premium?

No thanks. I will deal with Walmart, Gun Broker or other big box/online auction and have it sent through the local pawn shop that has the lowest processing fee. Problem? On the 1 in a 100 chance I have issues with a firearm I am a big boy and can deal with manufacturers or find a gunsmith myself. My thoughts are most local dealers deserve to die and small loss to the community, either municipal or sporting.

This horseshit myth of "local shops" is just that -- HORSESHIT. If any so-called "local shop" went out of business, it had less to do with Wal-Fart than it had to do with their piss-poor attitudes and amateurish business acumen.
Walmart is known for their stellar service, that's for sure. Some of the smartest sales people in the world are at the counters of Walmart.

I wouldn't think that guns were a core business for Walmart. Supplies for hunting and fishing yes, or a license, but most people are probably going to look to a least Gander Mountain or Dick's Sporting Goods before they buy at Wally World. And how many in here have even thought about buying a gun there, other then a 22 or a bb gun?

The internet is eating up the local store. People are going there to find speciality items and not some shop and you can get the typical stuff way cheaper somewhere else.
Local shops cater to the gun enthusiast, who also peruses the used gun rack (often the ONLY reason to stop in). Wal-Mart caters to the guy who wants to spend $300 on the best rifle in the whole world, with a Hubble scope and the cheapest green box ammo he can find.
Walmart is known for their stellar service, that's for sure. Some of the smartest sales people in the world are at the counters of Walmart.
Like you, for instance. They're right up there with these so-called "local shops" you're defending.

If you're going to put up with a bunch of bullshit and stupid f*cking people, might as well save some jack.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Local shops cater to the gun enthusiast, who also peruses the used gun rack (often the ONLY reason to stop in). Wal-Mart caters to the guy who wants to spend $300 on the best rifle in the whole world, with a Hubble scope and the cheapest green box ammo he can find.
I'm no fan of Wal-Fart, but when these "local shops" where I live don't have basic items, like component primers or reloading manuals with their reloading gear -- and the local Wal-Fart does -- there's something wrong. And then the "local shop's" attitude is "take it or leave it," then F*CK THEM.

Most of my gun buying is going to be via my local FFL and the internet; here, Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. Most of my reloading buying is going to be Powder Valley, Graf's, and what have you. If I NEED something right now, I'd just as soon give Wal-Fart a shot as opposed to some of these DICKHEAD shops in Oklahoma City.
my brother worked for wal-mart yrs ago. he would order a gun supposedly for a customer and when the customer never showed up to buy it he would buy it cheap. but they caught on to what he was doing and he got fired for it.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
my brother worked for wal-mart yrs ago. he would order a gun supposedly for a customer and when the customer never showed up to buy it he would buy it cheap. but they caught on to what he was doing and he got fired for it.
I guess that means he's not doing that anymore. whistle
no but i did get a nice 629 and a colt AR
Originally Posted by Bricktop
I'm no fan of Wal-Fart, but when these "local shops" where I live don't have basic items, like component primers or reloading manuals with their reloading gear -- and the local Wal-Fart does -- there's something wrong. And then the "local shop's" attitude is "take it or leave it," then F*CK THEM.

Most of my gun buying is going to be via my local FFL and the internet; here, Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. Most of my reloading buying is going to be Powder Valley, Graf's, and what have you. If I NEED something right now, I'd just as soon give Wal-Fart a shot as opposed to some of these DICKHEAD shops in Oklahoma City.

Walmart usually has a great selection of reloading components. Maybe you could make us a list, seeing it's the first of the month and all.

Is that your local FFL or your local gunshops FFL?

Damn, I guess Wally does your GB transfers too??

no but i did get a nice 629 and a colt AR

How did you get the AR The ww's I talked to said no can do not even special orders which leads one to think yor spinning yarns
this was back in 92 would you like to see a picture of it i have no reason to be spinning yarns.
I have never bought a gun through Walmart though I did buy an Ithaca 36 from K-mart in 1979. My Remington 581 came from J.C. Penneys in 1968. I bought a number of guns through U.S. Rod and Gun Clubs in Europe, a few through a dealer who worked from his living room on word of mouth. My last 5 came from online auctions (Manufactured between 1921 and 1953). Two came from local dealers (One a genuine customer guy, one a turd) and a few from individuals.

I have visited local dealers and left with bad tastes in the mouth for the reasons I outlined in my first post in this thread. May they wither and die as far as I am concerned.

If I want a new rifle I will go to Academy or similiar big box store. Older rifles (I have not bought a newly manufactured gun since 1991) I will search the auctions.
this was back in 92 would you like to see a picture of it i have no reason to be spinning yarns.

92 was different times in the gun sales and things have changed sinse then. I was thinking in the now. My first and only 22 WM is a J.C. Higgins I saved up 40 bucks in 1960 and mail ordered it from sears and it came with a 2x6 power scope. Still shoots good today
ConradCA said:
The reason they stopped selling guns is that their employees were not capable of handling the paperwork and legal requirements. The Feds fined Walmart for failing to follow the correct procedures.

I hate to say it but Conrad is on to something. I agree with the statement. kwg
Originally Posted by Bricktop

Walmart usually has a great selection of reloading components. Maybe you could make us a list, seeing it's the first of the month and all.

Is that your local FFL or your local gunshops FFL?

Damn, I guess Wally does your GB transfers too??
I don't know why I'm explaining myself to a stupid [bleep]*cker like you, but I guess I will.

When I state "my local FFL," I'm referring to a friend of mine who lives here locally and also possesses a federal firearms license.

Let me give you a few examples that spring to mind immediately of Wal-Fart's competition:

I was in Oklahoma City's "Outdoor America Store/Fred Baker Firearms" buying some Vihtavouri N110 not long after it became available in the U.S. Because OAS/FBF has such a high regard for its customers, they kept all components behind the counter out of the public's reach. I asked the nearest counter [bleep] for a canister of N110. The guy handed it to me and began to tell me how [bleep] Vihtavouri powder was, how misleading their loading data was that it was overly optimistic, and so on and so forth. So I asked, "You've used it quite a bit?" To which he replied, "Oh no, I've never used it, that's just what I heard."

Yep, great example of how "knowledgeable" the "local shop's" counter help was.

Same store, about a year or two later, I asked about getting a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Roberts. It was a currently cataloged item at the time and the store had half-a-dozen or so No. 1s in 1H and 1S configuration. I was told in response to my request -- for which I had cash money to spend -- "NOPE. WHAT YOU SEE IS IT. THAT'S ALL WE CARRY." I asked, "Can't you order one?" To which I received a simple "NOPE." (I located one in Gun List and had my local FFL -- that's a friend of mine who lives here locally and holds a valid federal firearms license, you understand -- receive it for me.)

Yeah, real f*cking accommodating to the customer.

I was trying to buy some small rifle primers in April of 2003. Southwest Shooter's Supply was closed, but Outdoor America Store/Fred Baker Firearms was open. The only primers they had were Federal 215M and an assortment of 209 shotgun primers. The counter [bleep] actually asked me "Why won't any of these work for you?"

Yep, very knowledgeable AND accommodating.

On the return trip home I stopped in the old Wal-Fart at 33rd and Broadway in Edmond to buy some motor oil for my pickup and lo and behold, there at the sporting goods counter just a few aisles over from the motor oil is a large display of CCI and Winchester primers, about a dozen or so 1-lb. canisters of various IMR, Winchester, and Alliant powders, along with a small assortment of bullets and a small selection of RCBS tools, a few bags of shot, and couple of MEC reloaders.

Yeah, Wal-Fart sure sucked that day, didn't they?

Dumbass.
Wow, I really feel sorry for you guys that have lousy local shops. The shop I frequent is more like family. Been going there for years, went to the owners 50th wedding anniversary, along with about 10 other customers. We all attended his grand-daughter's wedding, etc.
Most saturday mornings we meet at the store for coffee, donuts, stretching the truth and checking out what used goodies came in during the week.
I will gladly pay a small premium in exchange for the friendship and fun we've had over the years. However, most of the time there is no premium and I have yet to find a better deal on gunbroker when you add in shipping and FFL fees.

Wal-Mart would be a last resort kind of thing for me.
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
I will gladly pay a small premium in exchange for the friendship and fun we've had over the years. However, most of the time there is no premium and I have yet to find a better deal on gunbroker when you add in shipping and FFL fees.

Wal-Mart would be a last resort kind of thing for me.
I feel the same way, but if I'm going to put up with BULLSHIT, I might as well save some money.
We have some great gunshops around here, shops I have spent thousands of dollars at over the years. During the Obama induced ammo hysteria a year back I found basic (hard ball) handgun ammo was up to double, triple and quadruple the normal pricing - only at Wal-Mart did the basic 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP stay at the "before hysteria" price. Wal-Mart has earned that part of my business by not gouging me more than the actual manufacturers increase during that time period. The gunshops still get their 90%, but Wal-Mart has earned their 10%.
Wow, I really feel sorry for you guys that have lousy local shops. The shop I frequent is more like family. Been going there for years, went to the owners 50th wedding anniversary, along with about 10 other customers. We all attended his grand-daughter's wedding, etc.
Most saturday mornings we meet at the store for coffee, donuts, stretching the truth and checking out what used goodies came in during the week.

My experiences included IN, NC, AZ, AL and Texas. If you read my first post the coffee and donuts thiong is exactly what I spoke of. I suspect I would hate to be from outside that circle and a newbie in town seeking assistance in your store. To busy with the coffee, donuts and who shot johns I am sure.
Originally Posted by Altjaeger

My experiences included IN, NC, AZ, AL and Texas. If you read my first post the coffee and donuts thiong is exactly what I spoke of. I suspect I would hate to be from outside that circle and a newbie in town seeking assistance in your store. To busy with the coffee, donuts and who shot johns I am sure.

Nah, they are never too busy with us to ignore a customer and we know when to get out of the way. On saturdays he has two to three grandkids helping out and those youngsters get bored with us old farts and are eager to engage any walk-ins. smile
Like I said I have been in a few good ones, but that has not been my general experience. To those I wish all the best but will stick to my sources.
© 24hourcampfire