Home
Posted By: EddyBo Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Make me a douche not withstanding current douchness? I want one. The wife says it is pretentious. Tell me the good or bad. Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?
I'd talk to a few mechanics, see what they think.

Buddy of mine had one for a few years. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. He hated it, but his wife liked the "look".!

Ended up getting rid of it at a loss and bought a high end Toyota...
You couldn't run fast enough, to catch me, to give me a RR.
Seen too many problems w/ them.
Kinda like the boat owner.............2 happiest days.
I'd rather have 5 KIA's.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
I hear buying one makes yer peepee bigger, length and width. Tell her that! laugh blush
We looked very hard at buying one a while back. We did the research, talked to owners, service folks at more than one dealership, took a look at the Consumer Reports on them over the years, and then ran away!

Bought a Mercedes ML350 instead. Much better vehicle.

YMMV

Ed
I know the price on an OE cat is like $2800.00, and that was several years ago.
I'd 2nd the upper end Toyota SUV, if you are so inclined.
I would definitely check on reliability. Try Edmunds or Consumer Reports. I've heard they break often and fixing them is expensive.
The current issue of Consumer Reports says they suck from an owners' cost standpoint. I'd get a Toyota Land Cruiser for that kind of jack.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I hear buying one makes yer peepee bigger, length and width. blush

Grandad always did say "marry a women w/ small hands"
+1
Posted By: badger Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Make me a douche not withstanding current douchness? I want one. The wife says it is pretentious. Tell me the good or bad. Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

Triple dog dare you to buy one............

Snicker.....

Kidding aside, they seem to be hit or miss as far as reliability, mostly miss.
Having owned an 08 Land Rover, I'd not ever buy Land Rover/Ranger again...
Posted By: add Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Are they as reliable as I have been told...

Who told you that... a Range Rover salesman?
The best automobile purchase I have ever made is this 2005 Volkswagon Touraeg V8. (Click the first pic for a link a very informative Toureag website if you are interested in researching them.) If you want more name splash buy the Audi or Porsche rendition, but they are alot of automobile. From 2005 on they are on their third cycle (ie. new and improved) and virtually bullet proof now. I've had nothing major go wrong with my 2005 model and I smile every time I take it out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
that brand was tops in customer complaints. Most of the problems were electrical.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
that brand was tops in customer complaints. Most of the problems were electrical.

The T-reg?
Consumer Reports has panned them for years.
Cost of ownership is sky high and reliability is very low.
My sister had one long enough to develop a special kind of hatred. Her face would redden at the mention of the name...
Posted By: aalf Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
I always thought they looked kinda cool, but never considered getting one.

A side note....this fall, while coming through Rapid City, there was a huge fireball up ahead of me on the shoulder of the interstate. While even part way down in the median while going past, you could still feel the heat with the windows up, and barely read what was left on the rear hatch...r@n%3r Ro^*r.....
my boss' kid has one...nothing but problems.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
My fence service man drives one and during a recent conversation he said "it's a piece of [bleep]" compared to his Tahoe.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
As I have posted before, several folks that I know have had them and couldn't get rid of them fast enough once the warranty expired. Some didn't even wait that long. One rancher told me that his actually spent more time at the dealership during the year that he owned it than it did on the ranch. Another rancher gave his to his daughter whose husband was in grad school at MIT, after their Jeep Cherokee was stolen. The kids gave it back after about six months, having averaged a little over $1,500 per month in repairs and maintenance. I wouldn't have one on a bet...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Make me a douche?

I don't know if it'll make ya a "douche",...but it'll definitely make ya tired of hauling it in to get repaired.

European vehicles are for people who have never owned one.

Get an Acura MDX if you want an upscale SUV. They do what the Range Rover does and don't break down every 400 miles.
Posted By: SEdge Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Buddy of mine worked at the service department of a Range Rover dealer, he said 50% of the new ones needed major work before they could be sold.

Eddy:

If you can find a '65 in good condition, grab it. Otherwise, no.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Despite the name, they are not something I'd take off road. More like an SUV that never leaves pavement.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
what is that saying I read on here awhile back....

Why do the British drink warm beer? because they make refrigerators too.
If you can believe in English engineering it should only be a small leap of faith to believe in drunken English union workers putting it together. Not pretentious at all, let us know how you like it.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13

As you can imagine, they are very popular over here..

Are you looking to buy new or second hand? Do you want it as a daily drive or as weekend play thing for hunting or off-roading?

As an off-roader, they are probably still the best in their class with the LandCruiser being their only serious competition.

Perceived wisdom over here is that "stock", they are more agile off road than the Land Cruiser but the Toyota is more reliable..

And like all Land Rovers, that lack reliability is thier major let down..they are not "terrible" but certainly far from "Toyota reliable". This is compounded these days by their reliance of electronics and computerization..The same can be said for the Discovery and the new Freelanders also..

If you can get an older Range Rover, they make a great project vehicle for off-roading and hunting ect and you see many old ones used like that over here..

That said, I can't believe parts would be cheap in the US, nor easily available so I would think something like a Jeep would make a far better starting point for such a project in the US..

We can't reasonably get the good LandCruiser; the one's with a diesel. For the cost of a Rover or LandCruiser you could buy a Dodge truck and a jeep, and still have enough left over for a nice hunt. Priorities I guess, what you want/want to show for your money.
Posted By: rifle Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Range Rover...English for "Road block"
I have no problem with other people owning them. I actually like the way some of them look...just not in my driveway.
Pete,

The versions of the Range Rover and Land Rovers sold over here are NOT the same as what you folks get. As another poster said, if you can find a pre-65 model, go for it. Otherwise, plan on spending more time UNDER it than in it. Or paying someone to be UNDER it. frown

Ed
They really went down hill after the Indian's bought them...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/tata-buys-jaguar-and-land-rover-from-ford-car-news

Tata Buys Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford
Positive vibes surround the Indian automaker�s deal to buy the British brands.

March 2008
BY ALISA PRIDDLE

Tata Motors is now in the luxury car and truck business�finally�with a signed agreement to buy the Ford Motor Company�s Jaguar and Land Rover brands for $2.3 billion. The deal is expected to close by the end of the second quarter after some final leaps through legal hoops.

The Indian carmaker that made headlines for introducing the $2500 Tata Nano in January will add to its portfolio a lineup of rugged luxury Land Rover SUVs and sleek Jags that can run as high as $100,000.

Ford said today that it has entered into a �definitive agreement� to sell the British brands that were once part of its much-touted Premier Automotive Group, which included Lincoln and Aston Martin when it formed in 1999 and subsequently dropped Lincoln but added Volvo, to the Indian industrial group. Only Volvo remains under Ford stewardship.

Workers are assuaged with the promise Ford will contribute about $600 million to Jaguar and Land Rover pension plans.

In talks leading up to the sale, Ford sought�and says it found�a buyer committed to preserving the brands and keeping much of the workforce (white- and blue-collar) intact.

�We have enormous respect for the two brands and will endeavor to preserve and build on their heritage and competitiveness, keeping their identities intact,� confirms Tata chairman Ratan Tata, in a statement.

Ford Still Major Supplier

As expected, the deal calls for Ford to continue to supply Jaguar and Land Rover with technologies, powertrains, stampings, components, engineering, continued research and development, and other support services for differing periods of time. For the first year, financing will still be provided through the Ford Motor Credit Company.

Many top-level Jag and Land Rover execs seem to favor the sale. The official statement from Geoff Polites, who will continue as CEO of Jaguar and Land Rover, says, �Our team has been consulted extensively on the deal content and feels confident that it provides for the business needs of both our brands going forward.�

Phil Popham, Land Rover managing director, told Car and Driver in an interview at the New York auto show that the brand benefited from being part of Ford, which helped it to launch its highest-quality products to date, generating a positive momentum that will carry forward. He notes the current product plan was developed as part of the Ford family, which necessitates Ford continuing as the main supplier. But the sale to Tata opens up possibilities of working with others in the future.

Popham says Tata approved of the existing business plan, and the feeling is the Indian owner is buying the brand to invest. If Tata Motors follows the model of Tata Steel, which in January 2007 bought Anglo-Dutch steelmaker Corus in a $12 billion deal and turned a money loser into a money maker, then the car brands can take heart. �They�re a conglomerate investing for the long-term,� Popham says.
Optimism Prevails

Asked about morale in general at Land Rover, Popham says, �People have never been more excited or confident about Land Rover as now. They feel it truly is a global brand.� He notes sales are up 18 percent over those of a year ago, and some of the brand�s biggest markets, such as Russia and China, are areas where Land Rovers were not even sold a few years ago.

Jaguar designer Ian Callum also told us recently he looks forward to a new owner that approves of the product plan, will provide a large degree of autonomy, and has cash to invest and a desire to impress.
Ford's announcement of the agreement comes after months of negotiations and delays chalked up to final haggling over price and concerns over rising borrowing costs due to a global credit crunch. Some analysts have expressed surprise at the high price, in part reflective of the supply agreement with Ford for the immediate future.

Ford bought Jaguar in 1989 and picked up Land Rover from BMW in 2000. Aston Martin was sold by Ford a year ago for $925 million.

Ford is left with its core brands: Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Volvo, although many forecast the eventual demise of Mercury. Ward�s AutoForecasts shows the brand dying out by 2012 following an analysis of the automaker�s production and product investment plans. Ford officials continue to insist Mercury has a future, despite evidence to the contrary.
On Saturday I was talking to the owner of a repair shop that services Range Rover, Porsche, BMW, and Mercedes vehicles (they started servicing Range Rovers when BMW owned Range Rover several years ago). He had nothing but bad things to say about Range Rovers. "Pretentious" would seem to be the best (?only?) reason to have one.

Have to wonder if the message that owning a Range Rover sends is that you have enough money to have another vehicle to drive on a daily basis, enough spare money to be making frequent repairs to the Range Rover, and enough spare time that you don't mind dealing with having it in the shop all the time.

Yes, Range Rovers have a distinctive and cool look to them, but they would have to be considered as something like a weekend vehicle that the owner doesn't mind spending a lot of money and time on dealing with their problems.

Edit to add: I know someone who had a Range Rover for several years, and he loved it despite the problems. However, it sat in his garage for several years because he had to save up the money to fix it, so for much of the time he owned it, he didn't get to enjoy driving it.
Audi and Range Rover are in the same club, expensive, unreliable, and expensive to repair. As long as you trade them in before they hit 80, you will probably be ok :P
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Pete,
Otherwise, plan on spending more time UNDER it than in it. Or paying someone to be UNDER it. frown
Ed

I dunno, that sounds awfully like the ones we get also!

I have said it before, but the main problem with LandRover is that they are not build by Toyota!

After they were sold, both BMW and Ford failed to get to grips with their problems, and now the parent company is in India, that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either..

As much as I'd like a classic old Range Rover or Defender, I prefer to spend my spare time and money shooting and hunting, not turning wrenches..

Regards,

Peter

PS did you get my last PM about April?

Originally Posted by HugAJackass
They really went down hill after the Indian's bought them...

I tend to disagree, Range Rover (like all Land Rovers) have had reliability issues since their inception..Like I said in my last post, neither BMW nor Ford could get them straightened out although in fairness, they are better than they were in the 1980's..
Pete,

I DID get your PM. My plans are still the same, so I will see you Thursday evening!

Ed
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
My mind was made after about the third post. Wife and I are spending a few days in New Orleans and saw a new one. Really liked the looks but will pass on the headaches. An old attorney in my home town still drives a very old one. He swears by their toughness. But his might actually be a 65
Posted By: broomd Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
RR = absolute junk.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Get an Acura MDX if you want an upscale SUV. They do what the Range Rover does and don't break down every 400 miles.

this...or the big Lexus SUV, had one of those and they are very nice.

had two friends who owned Range Rovers within the last couple of years, both dumped them very quickly for the reasons cited above. when they're working they're very cool cars with lots of amenities, and they really do have good ground clearance....or water clearance here. but the service problems get to be almost a parody. I'd pass.
Originally Posted by broomd
RR = absolute junk.

Bit harsh!

The old girl in the clip below is not far from stock, and is certainly not a heavily modified rock crawler, but she gets by..

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
The Lexus LX is the Toyota Land Cruiser in disguise. The Lexus GX is nothing more than an upscale Toyota 4Runner.
they really do have good ground clearance....or water clearance here.

The old ones are pretty decent in water!

Of course they do have there limits! grin

Go straight to the top....Toyota LandCruiser.
Posted By: broomd Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/11/13
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by broomd
RR = absolute junk.

Bit harsh!

The old girl in the clip below is not far from stock, and is certainly not a heavily modified rock crawler, but she gets by..

Perhaps, but in my former days I was a mechanic and RR's were fraught with mechanical woes; and obtaining parts was an absolute joke.
Much like the all wheel drive Jaguars these days. Crap.

The old Land Rover models were legendary around the world, but then again they were simpler vehicles for a simpler time.
stay away....or i'll have my wife's buddy call u about hers.....
Posted By: gbp Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Range rovers have a purpose. just not here in the US.
Now if you were overseas in africa or so/east europe/asia i will say that alomst no where you could go and not find a part or someone that could make you one. friends had a 12 y/o rover in india and they had no issues comming up with some street-side mechanic that coulod make them gears for the tranny
Originally Posted by Bricktop
The Lexus LX is the Toyota Land Cruiser in disguise. The Lexus GX is nothing more than an upscale Toyota 4Runner.

yeah, but it's a very nice disquise. We have two Lexi right now...my wife loves the things. The BMW dealership here....then owned by Saints owner Tom Benson....had the worst, most arrogant service department imaginable. After her second bimmer she said no mas and switched. The reliability is amazing, and the service department is great. I just wish they'd quit giving her these $70K loaner vehicles when hers goes in for regular service....puts dangerous ideas in her head.

when I finally have to put a bullet in my 13 year old Suburban, I'm probably going to replace it with a Tundra.
Posted By: byc Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Originally Posted by steve_no

when I finally have to put a bullet in my 13 year old Suburban, I'm probably going to replace it with a Tundra.

Same here. Crewmax with a super duper turbo charger, which kicks it up to 548 hp. Black or silver.

Thought about the bad azzz Ford Baja Raptor buggie but Toyota is simply kicking butt.

Big pile of steaming dog [bleep]. Move along. Will spend more time in the shop than the driveway, but the dumbass nieghbors will be impressed. If that impresses you, go for it.
And yes, will make you a douche. Make sure to put an Obummer/Bendem sticker on it.
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Big pile of steaming dog [bleep]. Move along. Will spend more time in the shop than the driveway, but the dumbass nieghbors will be impressed. If that impresses you, go for it.
And yes, will make you a douche. Make sure to put an Obummer/Bendem sticker on it.

Living in Cali I suspect you know your doushes smile
Posted By: Seafire Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Use to be a guy over on AR, that was from West Australia...

he had a really cool 1955 Land Rover... with a diesel engine...

his dad had bought it new in Sydney back in 1955 and drove it out to West Australia, somewhere near Freemantle I think he said..

55 is the year it was made and was also the top speed on it from day one...

as far as reliable? I remember him saying the old diesel in it had never been replaced.. it just kept chuggin.. as long as it's driver wasn't in a big hurry or could live with 55 mph or 90km being flat out...

It might have been slow but I rate the cool factor as real high on that old one...

no offense to Pete E, but I had it burned into my head was a kid when I lived in England back in the 1960s, that the Limey's couldn't even make a lamp with one light bulb reliable, when it came to electrical stuff... and this was put into my head by our English Neighbors, as we lived off base over there...

( near Cambridge and Bedford and Huntingdon Pete, in case you were wondering... our town we resided in was not far from the old A 1. )
Originally Posted by Bricktop
yeah, but it's a very nice disquise. We have two Lexi right now...my wife loves the things.
There's not much difference between the trim level of an LX and a Land Cruiser. And based on the number of Toyota dealerships versus Lexus dealerships, I'd take the Land Cruiser over the LX if buying new.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Originally Posted by Seafire
no offense to Pete E, but I had it burned into my head was a kid when I lived in England back in the 1960s, that the Limey's couldn't even make a lamp with one light bulb reliable, when it came to electrical stuff... and this was put into my head by our English Neighbors, as we lived off base over there...

( near Cambridge and Bedford and Huntingdon Pete, in case you were wondering... our town we resided in was not far from the old A 1. )

I travel past Huntingdon fairly regularly on the A14 going out past RAF Lakenheath to where I stalk..

Re the comments about reliability, no offence taken as British cars in general were pretty terrible up to the late 1970's early 1980's and it wasn't until we started importing Jap cars in any numbers that things improved.

Even today, I would rather buy a British built car from a Japanese company, than a British built Ford or Vauxhall. In fact, as far as lack of reliability goes, one of the worst cars I ever owned was a Vauxhall and to this day, I would never buy another...

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: Mikem2 Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
You really need to buy two. So you have something to drive when one in the shop....
Expect $600 per visit to the (any) shop.

Here is the true test. Go to the dealership, test drive one or two just off 36,000 mile three year lease. Then drive a new one. After three years the front wheel wobble (check the tire wear), transmission shifting, and motor are true n dictators of what you will end up with.

If its a true bling car, ok choice. Just dont expect much over time. A better option is the lexus line or a Benz g-wagon. For quality and long term ownership.

The late model RR's and rovers have a dozen ECM's. Cause alot of the electronic problems. Just sitting they are drawing power to the ECM's.

The older models, RR and discovery 1's have straight axles, ok motors, locking diffs and out of the box are pretty decent vehicles.

nothing says DOUCHE like a honda ridgerunner

other notables:

Hummer H2
Chevy HHR (especially Dallas, Ga edition)
pt cruiser
that Lincoln 'truck' thing

range rover would be not far behind, extra douche points if you're a schmuck and pay someone a grand to replace a water pump
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Land Rover: British Speak for "Road Block"..
My wife recentely needed a new vehicle.
She really liked the looks of the new Subarus.

sick

I sure as hell didn't want to be a in a Subaru with California plates on it should we take a trip out of state, though they are pretty well made vehicles.

I got her a Ford instead.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I'd talk to a few mechanics, see what they think.

Buddy of mine had one for a few years. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. He hated it, but his wife liked the "look".!

I personally don 't like 'em much. Worked on a few in my time and not very impressive imho. Like most high end vehicles, you're paying extra for the name stamped on the fender.

-Ken

I can't speak to the douchness but I have a customer in the oil business who was born in the UK. He started his work life there as a mechanic working on high end British cars and Range/Land Rovers. He drives a Range Rover. When I asked him about it, he said that he only drives them as long as the warranty lasts. I think that is pretty telling as this guy can afford to drive whatever he wants.

Posted By: kendibs Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13

BTW, Any Brit vehicles I've worked on, including Jags, reinforces my opinion that those people are not very proficient in that industry.

Just my humble opinion.

-Ken

A friend of mine works behind the service counter of the local Range Rover dealer. She, along with most of the mechanics, drive Hondas. She says the RRs spend more time in the shop than on the road.
Posted By: tzone Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/12/13
Originally Posted by slg888
My fence service man drives one and during a recent conversation he said "it's a piece of [bleep]" compared to his Tahoe.

Oof-duh. that' bad...I know. I had a tahoe.
Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

Yes, if those people were telling the truth. They are not reliable, the criticisms above are too kind.

Check out re-sale on them.
I bought a $50k list 2003 Discovery in early 2005 for right at 20k. The first owner took a bath. He had tricked it out, beefed up the suspension, 12k lbs. wench, air compressor, Australian front bumper/skid plate that weighed 600 lbs and was strong enough to survive 2 50 mph+ deer wrecks with no damage. Killer Dunlop aggressive tires.
The thing would go anywhere. The traction control system was amazing - I drove it thru one of my fields the first night I had it and left 8 inch deep ruts and didn't even throw mud up on the side.
It had 17k miles on it and was warranted till 50k, so what could go wrong. Right?

Every freaking thing. Intake manifold gasket at 2Xk miles. The traction control/ABS system at 49,986 miles, 14 miles shy of warranty expiration. Land Rover does have free roadside assistance - the ABS light came on and the brake pedal fluttered as I came to a gentile stop on dry pavement. I parked it and called the 100 mile distant dealer and said either come and get it or honor the warranty, regardless of actual mileage, when I drove it in. They did.
The next 50k miles were fairly uneventful, but right at 110k chit hit the fan. Parted with it for salvage value in 2010.

Contrast that with the 5 new Toyotas (4 trucks, 1 4Runner) I've owned in my life - I have never had reason to take any one of the back to the dealer. Pretty strong statement regarding their quality and value, as far as I'm concerned.

Shore was purty, tho.....

[Linked Image]

If you want to get a nice reliable car, get a Mercedes.

I've never understood the alure of British cars, well, I would like a super 7.
Land rovers have the highest maintence costs of any vehicle in the US.

They are also the prefered vehicle of gungrabbing commie UN bureaucrats.

If you buy a new one, you will loose you "man card"
The couple across the street have a new rover that is a beautiful rig BUT he is driving a dealer loaner more times in the one year he had it than my old old Dodge 4x4 been in for service in the 10 year since new!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Would buying a range rover - 03/13/13
If you really want to douche it up.......

http://www.kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/index.htm
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Living in Cali I suspect you know your doushes smile

Looking at all the comments before and after mine...............I will stick to the steaming pile of dog [bleep] statement. I have only worked on a couple to three of them, but not impressed with what 80,000 + miles feels like when you drive them. Add the repair cost for simple stuff too the cost of electronics, well, RUN Forrest, RUN!

And yes, I have had my run inns with douches. laugh
Some on here.
Only pretentious yuppies who are afraid to get their Eddie Bauer khakis dirty drive them here in my neck of the woods.
Worth mentioning:

I seen a mercedes EM 50 urban assault / mini-camper/ trekker ss gurntenfluggen

with super model butterface trophy wife driving her [bleep] hyperactive adhd homskoolt arian nation brats bouncing around in it with no
sealbelts on

$150k with of luxury to go to Cades Cove,
only the best for the crackas

douchey enough

wish it would've had dual wheels

ahhh [bleep] it, I'd drive the hell outta it

© 24hourcampfire