Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife recentely needed a new vehicle.
She really liked the looks of the new Subarus.

sick

I sure as hell didn't want to be a in a Subaru with California plates on it should we take a trip out of state, though they are pretty well made vehicles.

I got her a Ford instead.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
I'd talk to a few mechanics, see what they think.

Buddy of mine had one for a few years. It spent more time in the shop than on the road. He hated it, but his wife liked the "look".!

I personally don 't like 'em much. Worked on a few in my time and not very impressive imho. Like most high end vehicles, you're paying extra for the name stamped on the fender.

-Ken

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Make me a douche not withstanding current douchness? I want one. The wife says it is pretentious. Tell me the good or bad. Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

I can't speak to the douchness but I have a customer in the oil business who was born in the UK. He started his work life there as a mechanic working on high end British cars and Range/Land Rovers. He drives a Range Rover. When I asked him about it, he said that he only drives them as long as the warranty lasts. I think that is pretty telling as this guy can afford to drive whatever he wants.

NRA Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

BTW, Any Brit vehicles I've worked on, including Jags, reinforces my opinion that those people are not very proficient in that industry.

Just my humble opinion.

-Ken

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine works behind the service counter of the local Range Rover dealer. She, along with most of the mechanics, drive Hondas. She says the RRs spend more time in the shop than on the road.

- Rogue
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slg888
My fence service man drives one and during a recent conversation he said "it's a piece of [bleep]" compared to his Tahoe.

Oof-duh. that' bad...I know. I had a tahoe.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

Yes, if those people were telling the truth. They are not reliable, the criticisms above are too kind.

Check out re-sale on them.
I bought a $50k list 2003 Discovery in early 2005 for right at 20k. The first owner took a bath. He had tricked it out, beefed up the suspension, 12k lbs. wench, air compressor, Australian front bumper/skid plate that weighed 600 lbs and was strong enough to survive 2 50 mph+ deer wrecks with no damage. Killer Dunlop aggressive tires.
The thing would go anywhere. The traction control system was amazing - I drove it thru one of my fields the first night I had it and left 8 inch deep ruts and didn't even throw mud up on the side.
It had 17k miles on it and was warranted till 50k, so what could go wrong. Right?

Every freaking thing. Intake manifold gasket at 2Xk miles. The traction control/ABS system at 49,986 miles, 14 miles shy of warranty expiration. Land Rover does have free roadside assistance - the ABS light came on and the brake pedal fluttered as I came to a gentile stop on dry pavement. I parked it and called the 100 mile distant dealer and said either come and get it or honor the warranty, regardless of actual mileage, when I drove it in. They did.
The next 50k miles were fairly uneventful, but right at 110k chit hit the fan. Parted with it for salvage value in 2010.

Contrast that with the 5 new Toyotas (4 trucks, 1 4Runner) I've owned in my life - I have never had reason to take any one of the back to the dealer. Pretty strong statement regarding their quality and value, as far as I'm concerned.

Shore was purty, tho.....

[Linked Image]

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to get a nice reliable car, get a Mercedes.

I've never understood the alure of British cars, well, I would like a super 7.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Land rovers have the highest maintence costs of any vehicle in the US.

They are also the prefered vehicle of gungrabbing commie UN bureaucrats.

If you buy a new one, you will loose you "man card"

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The couple across the street have a new rover that is a beautiful rig BUT he is driving a dealer loaner more times in the one year he had it than my old old Dodge 4x4 been in for service in the 10 year since new!

Ted
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you really want to douche it up.......

http://www.kenrockwell.com/porsche/cayenne-turbo-s/index.htm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Make me a douche not withstanding current douchness? I want one. The wife says it is pretentious. Tell me the good or bad. Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

Big pile of steaming dog [bleep]. Move along. Will spend more time in the shop than the driveway, but the dumbass nieghbors will be impressed. If that impresses you, go for it.
And yes, will make you a douche. Make sure to put an Obummer/Bendem sticker on it.

Living in Cali I suspect you know your doushes smile

Looking at all the comments before and after mine...............I will stick to the steaming pile of dog [bleep] statement. I have only worked on a couple to three of them, but not impressed with what 80,000 + miles feels like when you drive them. Add the repair cost for simple stuff too the cost of electronics, well, RUN Forrest, RUN!

And yes, I have had my run inns with douches. laugh
Some on here.

Last edited by calikooknic; 03/12/13.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only pretentious yuppies who are afraid to get their Eddie Bauer khakis dirty drive them here in my neck of the woods.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Worth mentioning:

I seen a mercedes EM 50 urban assault / mini-camper/ trekker ss gurntenfluggen

with super model butterface trophy wife driving her [bleep] hyperactive adhd homskoolt arian nation brats bouncing around in it with no
sealbelts on

$150k with of luxury to go to Cades Cove,
only the best for the crackas

douchey enough

wish it would've had dual wheels

ahhh [bleep] it, I'd drive the hell outta it

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (2500HD, 06hunter59, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 32 invisible), 12,165 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,234
Posts18,544,203
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.