Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
EddyBo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My mind was made after about the third post. Wife and I are spending a few days in New Orleans and saw a new one. Really liked the looks but will pass on the headaches. An old attorney in my home town still drives a very old one. He swears by their toughness. But his might actually be a 65

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RR = absolute junk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Get an Acura MDX if you want an upscale SUV. They do what the Range Rover does and don't break down every 400 miles.

this...or the big Lexus SUV, had one of those and they are very nice.

had two friends who owned Range Rovers within the last couple of years, both dumped them very quickly for the reasons cited above. when they're working they're very cool cars with lots of amenities, and they really do have good ground clearance....or water clearance here. but the service problems get to be almost a parody. I'd pass.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by broomd
RR = absolute junk.

Bit harsh!

The old girl in the clip below is not far from stock, and is certainly not a heavily modified rock crawler, but she gets by..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Get an Acura MDX if you want an upscale SUV. They do what the Range Rover does and don't break down every 400 miles.
The Lexus LX is the Toyota Land Cruiser in disguise. The Lexus GX is nothing more than an upscale Toyota 4Runner.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they really do have good ground clearance....or water clearance here.

The old ones are pretty decent in water!

Of course they do have there limits! grin

Last edited by Pete E; 03/11/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Go straight to the top....Toyota LandCruiser.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by broomd
RR = absolute junk.

Bit harsh!

The old girl in the clip below is not far from stock, and is certainly not a heavily modified rock crawler, but she gets by..

Perhaps, but in my former days I was a mechanic and RR's were fraught with mechanical woes; and obtaining parts was an absolute joke.
Much like the all wheel drive Jaguars these days. Crap.

The old Land Rover models were legendary around the world, but then again they were simpler vehicles for a simpler time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
stay away....or i'll have my wife's buddy call u about hers.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Range rovers have a purpose. just not here in the US.
Now if you were overseas in africa or so/east europe/asia i will say that alomst no where you could go and not find a part or someone that could make you one. friends had a 12 y/o rover in india and they had no issues comming up with some street-side mechanic that coulod make them gears for the tranny

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bricktop
The Lexus LX is the Toyota Land Cruiser in disguise. The Lexus GX is nothing more than an upscale Toyota 4Runner.

yeah, but it's a very nice disquise. We have two Lexi right now...my wife loves the things. The BMW dealership here....then owned by Saints owner Tom Benson....had the worst, most arrogant service department imaginable. After her second bimmer she said no mas and switched. The reliability is amazing, and the service department is great. I just wish they'd quit giving her these $70K loaner vehicles when hers goes in for regular service....puts dangerous ideas in her head.

when I finally have to put a bullet in my 13 year old Suburban, I'm probably going to replace it with a Tundra.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve_no

when I finally have to put a bullet in my 13 year old Suburban, I'm probably going to replace it with a Tundra.

Same here. Crewmax with a super duper turbo charger, which kicks it up to 548 hp. Black or silver.

Thought about the bad azzz Ford Baja Raptor buggie but Toyota is simply kicking butt.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Make me a douche not withstanding current douchness? I want one. The wife says it is pretentious. Tell me the good or bad. Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

Big pile of steaming dog [bleep]. Move along. Will spend more time in the shop than the driveway, but the dumbass nieghbors will be impressed. If that impresses you, go for it.
And yes, will make you a douche. Make sure to put an Obummer/Bendem sticker on it.

Sean
EddyBo Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Make me a douche not withstanding current douchness? I want one. The wife says it is pretentious. Tell me the good or bad. Are they as reliable as I have been told or is that a thing of the past?

Big pile of steaming dog [bleep]. Move along. Will spend more time in the shop than the driveway, but the dumbass nieghbors will be impressed. If that impresses you, go for it.
And yes, will make you a douche. Make sure to put an Obummer/Bendem sticker on it.

Living in Cali I suspect you know your doushes smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Use to be a guy over on AR, that was from West Australia...

he had a really cool 1955 Land Rover... with a diesel engine...

his dad had bought it new in Sydney back in 1955 and drove it out to West Australia, somewhere near Freemantle I think he said..

55 is the year it was made and was also the top speed on it from day one...

as far as reliable? I remember him saying the old diesel in it had never been replaced.. it just kept chuggin.. as long as it's driver wasn't in a big hurry or could live with 55 mph or 90km being flat out...

It might have been slow but I rate the cool factor as real high on that old one...

no offense to Pete E, but I had it burned into my head was a kid when I lived in England back in the 1960s, that the Limey's couldn't even make a lamp with one light bulb reliable, when it came to electrical stuff... and this was put into my head by our English Neighbors, as we lived off base over there...

( near Cambridge and Bedford and Huntingdon Pete, in case you were wondering... our town we resided in was not far from the old A 1. )

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bricktop
yeah, but it's a very nice disquise. We have two Lexi right now...my wife loves the things.
There's not much difference between the trim level of an LX and a Land Cruiser. And based on the number of Toyota dealerships versus Lexus dealerships, I'd take the Land Cruiser over the LX if buying new.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
no offense to Pete E, but I had it burned into my head was a kid when I lived in England back in the 1960s, that the Limey's couldn't even make a lamp with one light bulb reliable, when it came to electrical stuff... and this was put into my head by our English Neighbors, as we lived off base over there...

( near Cambridge and Bedford and Huntingdon Pete, in case you were wondering... our town we resided in was not far from the old A 1. )

I travel past Huntingdon fairly regularly on the A14 going out past RAF Lakenheath to where I stalk..

Re the comments about reliability, no offence taken as British cars in general were pretty terrible up to the late 1970's early 1980's and it wasn't until we started importing Jap cars in any numbers that things improved.

Even today, I would rather buy a British built car from a Japanese company, than a British built Ford or Vauxhall. In fact, as far as lack of reliability goes, one of the worst cars I ever owned was a Vauxhall and to this day, I would never buy another...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 03/12/13.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You really need to buy two. So you have something to drive when one in the shop....
Expect $600 per visit to the (any) shop.

Here is the true test. Go to the dealership, test drive one or two just off 36,000 mile three year lease. Then drive a new one. After three years the front wheel wobble (check the tire wear), transmission shifting, and motor are true n dictators of what you will end up with.

If its a true bling car, ok choice. Just dont expect much over time. A better option is the lexus line or a Benz g-wagon. For quality and long term ownership.

The late model RR's and rovers have a dozen ECM's. Cause alot of the electronic problems. Just sitting they are drawing power to the ECM's.

The older models, RR and discovery 1's have straight axles, ok motors, locking diffs and out of the box are pretty decent vehicles.

Last edited by Mikem2; 03/12/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nothing says DOUCHE like a honda ridgerunner

other notables:

Hummer H2
Chevy HHR (especially Dallas, Ga edition)
pt cruiser
that Lincoln 'truck' thing

range rover would be not far behind, extra douche points if you're a schmuck and pay someone a grand to replace a water pump

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Land Rover: British Speak for "Road Block"..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 160user, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 33 invisible), 12,039 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,235
Posts18,544,210
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.