Home
Posted By: ltppowell This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Whether you are for, or against, marijuana prohibition, it is against Federal law to possess, use or sell. Obama has decided to ignore the law again.

U.S. Says It Won�t Sue to Undo State Marijuana Laws

WASHINGTON � The Obama administration on Thursday said it would not sue to undo laws legalizing marijuana in 20 states, although it will monitor operations in those states to make sure they do not run afoul of several enforcement priorities.

Washington and Colorado recently began allowing small amounts of marijuana to be used recreationally, while 18 other states and the District of Columbia permit the use of marijuana for medical purposes.

In a phone call on Thursday afternoon, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. explained the government�s �trust but verify� approach to Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington and Gov. John W. Hickenlooper of Colorado, a Justice Department official said.

In a memo sent to federal prosecutors nationwide on Thursday, James M. Cole, the deputy attorney general, laid out eight priority enforcement areas. They are aimed at preventing marijuana sales to children, illegal cartel activity, interstate trafficking of marijuana, and violence and accidents involving the drug.

Federal prosecutors are expected to help state officials set up and carry out regulations, the Justice Department official said.

After Colorado and Washington legalized recreational marijuana, some members of Congress sought to have the administration clarify whether state officials risked federal criminal prosecution while carrying out their duties under the state laws.

The attorney general is expected to testify on Sept. 10 at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing focused on clarifying the administration�s stance on the state laws.

Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont and the chairman of the committee, said the administration should respect the state laws.

�It is important, especially at a time of budget constraints, to determine whether it is the best use of federal resources to prosecute the personal or medicinal use of marijuana in states that have made such consumption legal,� Mr. Leahy said. �I believe that these state laws should be respected. At a minimum, there should be guidance about enforcement from the federal government.�

Last week, the White House said President Obama did not support changing federal laws regulating marijuana, which treat the drug as a highly dangerous substance with no medical purpose.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13

All the Democrats in Congress are smiling to see how Obama ignores them now. Go, Barry, go, they all say.

They'll be crying like little girls when the next Republican president does the same thing to them, using Obama as a precedent.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Right on! It's about, um, it's, uh....

I forgot what I was going to say.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
I like the precedent. If they ain't going after the dope guys, they shouldn't go after gun owners either.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Funny that they say they are ignoring the issue here in Washington but it seems like you hear about DEA raids about once a month on Medical Marijuana distributors.

For once I actually agree with Obama, we would be better off if the feds stayed out of a lot more state issues. Other things he should also ignore are voter ID laws, and immigration laws to name a few.
Posted By: LoneWati Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
How do you get pot heads to vote? Put it on the ballot!!! Now, who do you think they will vote for?? Be happy you don't live here and have to put up with this nonsense!! We do not even know how to regulate it and I guarantee it will cost the state money!! I guess if you are Stoned all the time you do not feel as bad for the economy!!!
Posted By: billhilly Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
I hear pot causes you to use excessive amounts of exclamation points.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
BELLINGHAM, Wash. � A man is accused of trying to get marijuana into a Washington state jail by attaching it to an arrow he shot onto the roof.

A Whatcom County sheriff's employee saw the man step out of his pickup truck and use a bow to launch the arrow toward the jail's second-floor recreation area, but it missed its target.

Sheriff Bill Elfo says the man, identified as 36-year-old David Wayne Jordan, was arrested for investigation of introducing contraband into the jail, resisting arrest and obstructing law enforcement.

The Bellingham Herald reports that Jordan served 20 days in the jail earlier this month for assault and resisting arrest.

The sheriff says Jordan told deputies he had been aiming at a squirrel, but he couldn't explain why he needed to attach marijuana to the arrow to go squirrel hunting.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Medical Marijuana got legalized here. Next thing you know I'm fielding calls from "Dr.s" who wants to establish a practice in one of my buildings. I turned them all away. Besides the fact that isn't something I would want my kids to think I give a pass too (go ahead and laugh Rancho Loco), I could just see the Feds seizing my buildings as asset forfeiture.

ltppowell what is your opinion on legalization?
Posted By: RickyD Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Sounds like the states are good to go prohibiting Obamacare. Or not?
Posted By: ltppowell Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Do it, or don't. It's prohibition is not enforced to any real extent and introducing kids to a criminal element is not healthy.

They're gonna do it...and it HAS to come from criminals. I really don't see any good choice, but at this point I lean toward legalization. At least a good kid could grow his own and not have to consort with Democrats/liberals.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
After working "under" on drugs and saw what the courts did - forget it. That ship sailed about 20 years ago. Kick the petties out of state and federal lockups too.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Not surprising from this admin. They choose to ignore what's inconvenient for them. If this was a gun law, you can bet the feds would be suing like a crack whore on a rock.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Originally Posted by Mac84
Not surprising from this admin. They choose to ignore what's inconvenient for them. If this was a gun law, you can bet the feds would be suing like a crack whore on a rock.

A good example is Holders aggressive lawsuit on the voter id law in Texas.
Yeah...I did that a long time. There are no "petties" locked up anymore that I know of . That's a myth used by potheads in their foggy minded attempts to get legalization. There are better reasons to legalize it.
Posted By: OSB Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
Well you will not be dealing with the cartells anymore you will be dealing with the real professional crimnal element in Washington D. C. Look for taxes on your weed. Real high taxes.
Originally Posted by OSB
Well you will not be dealing with the cartells anymore you will be dealing with the real professional crimnal element in Washington D. C. Look for taxes on your weed. Real high taxes.

Nah...unlike alcohol, any idiot can grow good weed.
Posted By: eh76 Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/29/13
but the bastidges sue over voter ID laws ....how much more [bleep] up can they get? crazy
Originally Posted by eh76
but the bastidges sue over voter ID laws ....how much more [bleep] up can they get? crazy

We'll see, I'm sure. The stupidity of this administration seems to know no bounds.
Posted By: isaac Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Yes, you will still be dealing with cartels based upon quality,costs and accessibility. How are those 21 and under going to get their dope. And, the cartels will destroy the government on pricing, once forced to do so.

Lastly, if the states lose the hundreds of millions they get a year on the weed con, they will certainly think of ways to recapture it.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
...and the alcohol lobby will fight it tooth and nail.
Posted By: shreck Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by heavywalker
BELLINGHAM, Wash. � A man is accused of trying to get marijuana into a Washington state jail by attaching it to an arrow he shot onto the roof.

A Whatcom County sheriff's employee saw the man step out of his pickup truck and use a bow to launch the arrow toward the jail's second-floor recreation area, but it missed its target.

Sheriff Bill Elfo says the man, identified as 36-year-old David Wayne Jordan, was arrested for investigation of introducing contraband into the jail, resisting arrest and obstructing law enforcement.

The Bellingham Herald reports that Jordan served 20 days in the jail earlier this month for assault and resisting arrest.

The sheriff says Jordan told deputies he had been aiming at a squirrel, but he couldn't explain why he needed to attach marijuana to the arrow to go squirrel hunting.

I saw that, that has to be the stupidest thing I read today.
Posted By: isaac Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
And then jack their own pricing.
Originally Posted by shreck

Well...that is what weed does to you, but that's besides the point.
Originally Posted by isaac
And then jack their own pricing.

As soon as an honest man is not afraid of getting in trouble for growing a few plants, the alcohol industry is in big trouble. They know it.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Well...that is what weed does to you, but that's besides the point.

Then claimed he was squirrel hunting, because we all know wrapping reefer around your arrow makes it more sporting.
Posted By: OSB Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by OSB

Any fool can grow tabacco but how many cigs do you see being sold without a tax stamp. Fines and penalties are way too high for sellers and consumers. You won't be dealing with simple criminals now you will be dealing with the pros.
Originally Posted by OSB
Originally Posted by OSB

Any fool can grow tabacco but how many cigs do you see being sold without a tax stamp. Fines and penalties are way too high for sellers and consumers. You won't be dealing with simple criminals now you will be dealing with the pros.

Any fool can't grow tobacco. It's illegal to grow for sale unless you have .gov permission, so try and grow smokable tobacco and market it.
Posted By: Bigfoot Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by RickyD
Sounds like the states are good to go prohibiting Obamacare. Or not?

Yeah Obama finally understands that the States are supposed to be free to be Laboratories of Democracy. Obamacare, Voter ID, gun laws, oil pipelines running though their states.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by eh76

There's a very logical reason this administration sues over voter ID laws. 99% of the people that'll get caught by voter ID are gonna be voting democrat, they can't have that. Most of your potheads are also going to vote democrat, they're not going to alienate them either.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by RichardAustin

Do it, or don't. It's prohibition is not enforced to any real extent and introducing kids to a criminal element is not healthy.

They're gonna do it...and it HAS to come from criminals. I really don't see any good choice, but at this point I lean toward legalization. At least a good kid could grow his own and not have to consort with Democrats/liberals.

I think it has a really bad affect on kids; motivation, memory, ethics amongst the forefront. I tend to agree I'd like to see it legalized. It would take the crime and most of the profit out of the equation.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by OSB
Originally Posted by OSB

Any fool can't grow tobacco. It's illegal to grow for sale unless you have .gov permission, so try and grow smokable tobacco and market it.

LOL you just played right into his hand and it will be the same with Mary Jane
Posted By: philgood80 Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
I wonder if this "trust and verify" technique would work with a pro-gun governor? Nah, probably wouldn't fit the state media's definition of personal liberty.
Posted By: rattler Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Obama has said this before.....wasnt long after his last statement to this effect he ramped up raids in these states.....
Posted By: bobbyjack Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Aren't you the man that needs his meds to get past much pain?

You know MJ has great uses besides growing rope,and for many a

doobie kills as much pain as one of your scrip pills that you

are addicted to. Just saying. Bob
Posted By: rattler Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by bobbyjack
Aren't you the man that needs his meds to get past much pain?

You know MJ has great uses besides growing rope,and for many a

doobie kills as much pain as one of your scrip pills that you

are addicted to. Just saying. Bob

i fully know that......but im on an Indian reservation which means there are a fair number of feds running around and its a small town so doesnt take long for everyone to know your business....not worth the legal risks to me cause contrary to head dipchits recent statement he has been heavily going after medical users in states that have legalized....

but you are right it does work for pain, i used it before they wheeled me in for back surgery cause i was scared chitless that i was going to wake up in recovery with a hell of an opiate tollerance and they werent going to work for chit so i got myself bout half an ounce and proceeded to get myself off the opiates so i would go into surgery with a clean slate as far as opiate tolerance goes....turns out it wasnt needed cause i was in zero pain post op but it worked great for the few weeks i did use it for my back and knees....plus i used it before i met my wife, only started relying on opiates after she asked me not to have the pot around her daughters....
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: This Time it's Weed - 08/30/13
Originally Posted by OSB

Unlike alcohol??? So they can grow that stuff in 24 hours like so many do when they make their own hootch around these parts (and sell it for $75-80/gallon?) A few cans of Welch's grape, five pounds of cane sugar, a couple strips of yeast, and yee-haw!
© 24hourcampfire