Home
I say the most American gun is the lever action rifle. What say you?
Winchester 94.
American Longrifle.
Colt SAA, the M1 Garand or the Thompson.

Travis
Model 97 Winchester shotgun.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
American Longrifle.

Yep. Wouldn't be an America without this one.
Daisy Red Ryder BB of course.. first mfg run 1938 and still kicking.
Winchester 94
Colt 1911
Colt AR15
Winchester 1873 repeating rifle.
Ruger 10-22
Remington Rolling Block
Colt SAA
If John Browning didn't design it, then it shouldn't be on the list...

Well, the SAA gets on the list, but that's it.

WTF - The M1 Garand is on the list too.
Longrifle: The original, homegrown rifle for war and hunting. Iconic.

M1 Garand: Gave our boys a distinct advantage in the greatest conflict ever. A true symbol of freedom and America.

M16: Groundbreaking when introduced, refined through fire, symbolized the good guys in the cold war, it's still killing bad guys and likely still will be for another generation.

As much as it pains me to say this............I would have to agree with Kevin...........Damn that hurt.
Model 94 by far
Colt Peacemaker
Colt Model P, Colt Model O, WInchester Moddel 73, 92 and 94, the M1 Garand and the Colt AR15.
Colt Single Action Army revolver.
M1
M16
The lever actions were my first thought but the above are owed a debt from the whole world. The first really made America what she is on the world stage. The second has worked hard to try to keep her there.
1874 Sharps, which made the West safe for Winchester...
Daisy Red Ryder; Colt Patterson; American Longrifle; Sharps buffalo rifle; Henry Repeating Rifle; AR-15; Winchester pump .22.

As far as ONE singular rifle - Timothy Murphy's flintlock. That one American rifle changed the course of history (American and world history) more than any other.
Interesting question, but trying to pick just one firearm that best represents the countries 229 year history is nigh impossible considering all the wonderful iconic firearms that had been developed through the muzzle loading era, black powder metallic cartridge era, smokeless powder and both military and civilian arms.
The American longrifle. Far and away.

Admittedly, the glory of Colt/Rem/Winchester, Garand, Browning, and Stoner make powerful cases for themselves in modern times, but still, it's the colonial longrifle builders.

Expecting such a squirrel rifle later this year :-)

p.s. honorable mention to Dan LeFever
Colt 1911, .45 acp of course.
I don't know how any of you can pick anything other than the LONG RIFLE

History is no longer taught in public schools.
Winchester 1873 in 44-40 and Colt SAA in Colt 45.

donsm70
Recognizable any time, any where, today I would go with the Ar platform. Fifty years ago I think I would have picked the Colt 1911.

Not far behind it are Win. 73, Colt SAA, and Savage 1899.

Not far in arrears to them is Marlin 1894 and Win. 1894, Win. 1886, Win. 87, 97.
That's the Pennsylvania long Rifle to be exact. The case could be made we would not be here without it.
Colt SAA, WW-94, and the 1911.

Battle rifles: Garrand, M-14, and the AR-15
Doesn't mean I'm right but the very first thing that came to my mind was Colt SAA.

Never owned one. Would like to. But not sure why.
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

That's how I come out too, except that the long rifle has to be in the pack too.

As much as I revere,own and shoot the 1911, I am aware that through much of its history it was viewed as an inaccurate and unreliable pistol, at least right out of the box, by those who use them. Tuned up, they are awfully hard to challenge. I have one that the young Mark Krebs turned into a honey.

I well remember the troubles in the '60s with the AR-15 too. No weapon with such issues can be most American -- unless you call some piece of junk "most French" or "most Spanish."
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Ruger 10-22

Ygbfkm Ghost. Joke right? grin
Originally Posted by Pashooter
That's the Pennsylvania long Rifle to be exact. The case could be made we would not be here without it.

Nope, it ain't just a PA rifle. They were made up and down the frontier from the mountains of SC to NY; wherever German and Swiss immigrants settled.

Either a Sharps or Winchester 1886 in 45/70. Hell, anything vintage in a 45/70. Did I mention the 45/70?
Winchester. More than a gun, an American legend. The lever action rifle is uniquely American. Born here and really only ever popular here. The Win 73 was the first really successful of the line but was nowhere near close to the 94 in numbers produced or longevity of production. Neither were the 86 or 92.
Sharps Big 50, or Greener SxS
If you look at a long rifle you will see an American adaptation of a German hunting rifle.
Colt Peacemaker 1873
The long rifle was developed on the American frontier in southeastern Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. It was the product of German gunsmiths who immigrated to new settlements in South eastern Pennsylvania in early 1700s and later to Virginia and other territories. The earliest gunsmiths that can be documented are Robert Baker and Martin Meylin, Meylin's gun shop was built in 1719 in Berks County Pennsylvania were he produced Possibly the first long rifle. Each year the ten best flintlock riflemen from Pennsylvania and Kentucky shoot it out for bragging rights. This year the Pennsylvania team took top honors so for now it's a Pennsylvania longrifle.
Originally Posted by 4ager

Nope, it ain't just a PA rifle. They were made up and down the frontier from the mountains of SC to NY; wherever German and Swiss immigrants settled.

And look at how many other ideas and innovations that arrived here by means of the naturalization process set forth in the Constitution have become American standards. That's what we are all about.
Originally Posted by bkraft

Uh! The Greener was English. They were used here but manufactured in England.

drover
American Longrifle.

This.
The long rifle was developed on the American frontier in southeastern Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. It was the product of German gunsmiths who immigrated to new settlements in South eastern Pennsylvania in early 1700s and later to Virginia and other territories. The earliest gunsmiths that can be documented are Robert Baker and Martin Meylin, Meylin's gun shop was built in 1719 in Berks County Pennsylvania were he produced Possibly the first long rifle. Each year the ten best flintlock riflemen from Pennsylvania and Kentucky shoot it out for bragging rights. This year the Pennsylvania team took top honors so for now it's a Pennsylvania longrifle.

Those last two lines are about the dumbest damned argument I've seen made here and that takes some doing. Coming from PA, though, I'm not surprised.

The longrifle, trending and descending from the lines of the French fusil, the English fowler, and the Germanic jaeger, was appearing in various forms along the frontier from SW NC to W NY all about the same time period, roughly 1735 to 1765. The Johannes Faber rifle in VA, certainly not of PA origin, was not the first of it's kind in that region and it dates prior to 1760. Other rifles of that same era (pre- and during F&I War) have been found and with provenance along the then-frontier.

The "longrifle" is an American original; a "mutt" of various styles blended together into a unique, new breed, and one whose origins occurred almost simultaneously along the entire frontier of the American colonies. The "PA" or "KY" rifle alone is a myth; the longrifle as a breed stands out and cannot be claimed by one region or another alone.
Originally Posted by drover

Uh! The Greener was English. They were used here but manufactured in England.

drover

You beat me to on the Greener being English.

The Garand, while a fine and important battle rifle, was designed by a Canadian, making it a little less American than many other guns mentioned.
This is in fun I think and no one is wrong, but, the M1 is American designed, built and won WWII using THE american cartridge. I dont think it was largely based on a foreign design and the people who built/desgned it were not hyphenated. My home county has a History with the long rifle and Bedford County Rifles are well known. Personally I like them better than a Garand.
Damn you posted while I was thinking, and you are right. blush
Don't get your panty's wadded up the contest is a fun event held yearly. I passed it along as a side note not part of any "argument". You can pontificate all you want fact remains those rifles originated in Pennsylvania.
Probably the plains rifle in the Hawken style. Eliminated the last vestiges of European influence appearing in the old school long rifles. A practical reflection of what was needed in then western America without bowing to the niceties of European design.
Tikka
Don't get your panty's wadded up the contest is a fun event held yearly. I passed it along as a side note not part of any "argument". You can pontificate all you want fact remains those rifles originated in Pennsylvania.

Take it up with American Longrifles. They've actually studied the history of the "American Longrifle". The rifles originated all along the frontier, and much of the design stems from the English fowler and the French fusil, perhaps more so than the Germanic jaeger.

No doubt it's a fun event, but fun doesn't equal fact.
Smooth bore "gun" Winchester Model 12
Sharps Rifles(Buffler Guns)
[Linked Image]

Longrifles (Lancaster here)
[Linked Image]

Easy...it was an offshoot of the German Jaeger rifle on the 1,700's. Americans, mostly emigrated Germans or their ancestors, made them longer.

The Winchester 1873 is my vote.
American Long rifles has an interesting sight been there many times Did you see the part of their description of the long rifle that said " The long rifle began to evolve along the Pennsylvania Frontier in and about Lancaster county In the 1800s"? Pennsylvania German gunsmiths were producing long rifles in the 1700s. I doubt they took much from the fowlers or the fusil de chase at least I can not see it. I shoot both a long rifle and a fusil side by side they don't look like even distant relatives. Like comparing any rifle to a shotgun they are quite different.

Take it up with American Longrifles. They've actually studied the history of the "American Longrifle". The rifles originated all along the frontier, and much of the design stems from the English fowler and the French fusil, perhaps more so than the Germanic jaeger.

As a Non-American, there would be several guns that the image of conjures up "America".
The M16 would have to be up there for the recent period. The Colt "six shooter" and the sight of a Kentucky rifle would be synonymous with other earlier times of the Colonies.
There are others of course. But these three stand out from different stages in your Countries history.

These were my thoughts prior to reading any of the other responses.
Hawken!
American Long rifles has an interesting sight been there many times Did you see the part of their description of the long rifle that said " The long rifle began to evolve along the Pennsylvania Frontier in and about Lancaster county In the 1800s"? Pennsylvania German gunsmiths were producing long rifles in the 1700s. I doubt they took much from the fowlers or the fusil de chase at least I can not see it. I shoot both a long rifle and a fusil side by side they don't look like even distant relatives. Like comparing any rifle to a shotgun they are quite different.

Maybe if you did a little more research and took the "that I can see" to "open your f'kin' eyes", you'd have a better grasp.

Originally Posted by American Longrifles
http://www.americanlongrifles.com/american-longrifle-kentucky-rifle-story.htm

There developed in the latter days of the American colonies, a uniquely American firearm. From early in the 19th century this unique weapon came to be known as the Kentucky Rifle. Extensive research over the past four decades makes it clear that the Kentucky Rifle, as it is popularly known, was produced along the frontier in many colonies and states following the westward expansion of our nation. We now commonly refer to the Pennsylvania rifle, Maryland rifle, Virginia rifle, North Carolina rifle and Tennessee rifle as well as the Kentucky rifle. Many just refer to it as a longrifle. It was simply known as a rifled gun during the 18th century. We will call it the American longrifle.

The American longrifle began to evolve from the European forms during the second quarter of the 18th century along the Pennsylvania frontier, in and about Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It emerged as an unique American creation following the French and Indian War. Its golden age is generally accepted to be the period from the end of the American Revolution to the turn of the 19th century. The advent of percussion ignition, interchangeable parts, and an emerging American industrial complex during the first half of the 19th century pretty much made custom made flintlock rifles, and therefore the classic American longrifle, a thing of the past. However, many fine percussion longrifles were produced well into the 19th century and the production of the American longrifle in this form never quite died out in the mountains of Appalachia. With the Colonial Revival movement of the 1920's and 30's, there was a rebirth of interest in these guns leading to all our modern scholarship, the popularity of muzzle loading shooting and the recreation of these guns by many people like myself.

No technological development occurs in a vacuum, and the American longrifle as a technological as well as an artistic development was no exception. It is generally accepted that the American longrifle evolved from the Jaeger rifle brought to the colonies by German gunsmiths in the early 1700�s and most certainly imported in some quantity along with English arms up until the American Revolution. The Jaeger was a short, stocky, usually large caliber, flintlock rifle designed for hunting by the well to do in the fields and forests of Europe. At one time, some thought that rifling and a patched ball were innovations unique to the American longrifle. They weren�t. These things were known to European gunsmiths for at least two centuries before the American longrifle and were incorporated into the Jaeger. Some also have the impression that the Jaeger was heavy and hard to handle. They were not. From personal experience, I know that Jaegers were surprisingly light and easy to handle. In fact, I would much prefer to carry a Jaeger in the woods than a typical longrifle.

That begs the question, why were changes made? Well, the standard answer has been something along the lines that the American longhunter needed an economical, accurate, and long range gun to put food on the table, take skins for cash, and protect their families from Indian raiders. The Jaeger rifle was accurate but it was not necessarily a long range gun or economical in terms of lead. It has been thought that in order to accommodate the needs of the longhunter, the early gunsmiths started to elongate the barrel and reduce the caliber of their rifles. These two design changes did three basic things; increase accuracy and range, and decrease the amount of lead used for bullets. It is easy to see how a longer barrel could increase accuracy for long range shots, but the added length also allowed for the effective use of larger powder loads to support those long range shots. The more powder you put down the barrel, the more time and therefore more barrel length you need for the powder to fully combust. The potential to use higher powder loads and the higher muzzle velocity that that produces also supports the use of smaller balls. A smaller ball with a fully combusted higher powder load can have the same impact energy as a larger ball with a smaller charge. The higher muzzle velocity will also give you a flatter ballistic trajectory and longer range. Lastly, the smaller ball size means less lead to buy and carry and less powder for small game at short distances. All in all, the American longhunter got economy along with the ability to make long range shots and take down large game if needed. At least, this is the standard answer that you will glean from some of the earlier research.

While I have generally accepted this explanation for the elongation of the barrel and reduction in bore size in the American longrifle, the argument has always seemed to be a little too contrived and does have some problems. Peter A. Alexander, in his new book The Gunsmith of Grenville County-Building the American Longrifle, proposes another theory based on some of George Shumway's research. While no one denies the influence of the Jaeger on the development of the American longrifle, Peter Alexander proposes that the English trade gun had as much influence as the Jaeger. The argument goes that there were not enough white longhunters to account for all the rifles we know were made and most frontier settlers did not have guns of any type. Who then, owned all those early longrifles. The answer, according to Alexander, is the Indians. He contends that, as the primary harvesters of furs and skins on the North American continent at the time, the Indians had the most need of rifles and the wealth from the fur trade to buy them. This argument has the ring of truth to me.

According to Alexander, the real reason for the longer barreled American rifle, was that the Indians had become accustomed to the long barreled English trade guns and wanted rifles of similar form. The German gunsmiths here, and possibly in Germany, supplied what their customers wanted. There may have been more style than substance at work in the evolution of the American longrifle. Imagine that!

Another change that was made to the old Jaeger that most scholars consider unique to the American longrifle was the addition of a brass patch box. The Jaegers and the early longrifles had storage compartments in the butt of the gun with sliding carved wood covers. The argument is that these covers were easily lost and something a little more practical was required for the longhunter. Hence, the hinged brass patch box. There was also a curious deletion from the Jaeger to the American longrifle. The Jaeger almost always had sling swivels and an American Longrifle almost never had sling swivels. For some reason, the American longhunter, Indian or not, preferred to carry his rifle in his hand. We don't know why these changes were made and we are not as certain as we once were that these were actually American inovations.

We have discussed how the Jaeger and possibly the English trade gun evolved into the American Longrifle, but just what is the classic American longrifle? That is really a pretty hard question to answer in a few paragraphs. Typically, and I emphasize the word "typically," it is a slender full stock flintlock rifle with a long barrel (generally around 40 inches or more) of about 50 caliber (or less as time went on) with a brass patch box. Like the Jaeger, the American longrifle was often decorated with silver and brass inlays, carvings, and engravings; first in the Barouqe style and then in the Rococo style during its Golden Age. Keep in mind that this is a very general description of a style of rifle produced by hundreds, if not thousands, of gunsmiths in dozens of stylistic schools in many states from Pennsylvania south along the Appalachian Mountains into Alabama and west to the Mississippi river. Obviously, there are bound to be many exceptions to my very general description.

To learn more, check out the list of related reading on the Books & Videos page. If you read no other books on the American longrifle, you need to read the Kentucky Rifle by John Dillin, Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age by Joe Kindig and Rifles of Colonial America, Volumes I & II by George Shumway. These are the books that formed the foundation of this essay as well as much of the scholarship on this subject over the last four decades. However, make sure you get one of the more recent editions of these books with annotations. The Kentucky Rifle was written in 1924 and there are a number of statements we now know to be erroneous.

Oh, and yeah, this...

[Linked Image]

and this...

[Linked Image]

and this...

[Linked Image]

Look exactly like this:

[Linked Image]

But, nothing like this...

[Linked Image]

Or, this...

[Linked Image]

Or, this...

[img]http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/Fusil-de-Chasse_files/PICT1167.jpg[/img]

Or, this...

[img]http://www.claysmithguns.com/Gun352_oa.jpg[/img]

Or, this...

[img]http://www.claysmithguns.com/trade1_oa.jpg[/img]

Or, this...

[img]http://www.claysmithguns.com/fusil_oa.jpg[/img]

Yep, a straight stocked, short for length, heavy barreled, heavy caliber, iron ramrodded, slung with permanent fixtures rifle looks MUCH more like an "American Longrifle" than do drop-stocked, long for length, light-barreled, light-to-medium caliber, wooden ramrodded, non-slung, American Longrifle.

Did the Germanic jaeger have influence? Of course, not the least of which was the rifled bore. However, the jaegers were almost always a tight (as in, drive the bullet down with a mallet) seal, non-patched ball with an iron ramrod, slung, short barreled, and heavy for caliber. Contrast that with the light in the hand and fast following, wooden ramrodded, non-slung, patched ball fowlers and "smooth rifles" of the English and French.

Stylistically, the American longrifle would have been easiest to do off the English fowler or French fusil, as really all that would have had to have been done was fit a long, rifled barrel to the already existing platform. It wouldn't have been 100% "it", but it'd have been really close. To modify the jaeger, you're looking at dropping the sling, lengthening the stock, adding drop to the butt, reshaping the comb, slimming down the barrel, reducing the bore diameter, and fitting it with a wooden ramrod outfitted for an undersized ball and patch vs the oversized ball and mallet of the jaeger. Which then, really, makes the most sense as the to the baseline for modification? Given that, how would such a universally accepted and utilized base platform have only been modified in one area vs having been modified across the spectrum?

Then, add in the differing styles all along the frontier of almost identical age, from the Tennessee and Kentucky mountain frontiers, to the Shenandoah, to central and western PA, to the Mohawk Valley and west through New York, and you get an amalgam of styles, all influenced by English, French, and Germanic traits but all evolving simultaneously as the different styles of makers and users dictated.

It's a true "American" mutt of a rifle, and the true rifle of America (at least until the lever and especially the pump came along). It's not any more one "colony" creation than any other, and history bears that out.
9.3 x 62 Man Licker

There are lots of wannabe's but you still can't argue the Colt SAA. Nothing is more recognizable by more people in walks of life and every country in the world...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Easy...it was an offshoot of the German Jaeger rifle on the 1,700's. Americans, mostly emigrated Germans or their ancestors, made them longer.

If it wasn't in part for the long rifle we'd have been fighting the Indians with a 577 Snider.
Originally Posted by donsm70

donsm70

Gotta be.
Originally Posted by Anjin
[quote=donsm70]

As much as I revere,own and shoot the 1911, I am aware that through much of its history it was viewed as an inaccurate and unreliable pistol, at least right out of the box, by those who use them. Tuned up, they are awfully hard to challenge. I have one that the young Mark Krebs turned into a honey.

As a sailor in the late 1950's/early 1960's I had to qualify on the 1911 and yes you are right they were viewed as an inaccurate and unreliable pistol, but it wasn't the fault of the pistol. It was that most of the pistols were just plain worn out, with those pistols you were lucky if you could hit the broadside of a barn even if you were standing inside the barn. With that said it is a tribute to John Browning for designing the 1911 and it becoming an icon in firearm development in this country. The military has tried to replace it with the 9mm pistol, but it still holds a place in the military arsenal.

Originally Posted by W7ACT
Originally Posted by Anjin
[quote=donsm70]

As a sailor in the late 1950's/early 1960's I had to qualify on the 1911 and yes you are right they were viewed as an inaccurate and unreliable pistol, but it wasn't the fault of the pistol. It was that most of the pistols were just plain worn out, with those pistols you were lucky if you could hit the broadside of a barn even if you were standing inside the barn. With that said it is a tribute to John Browning for designing the 1911 and it becoming an icon in firearm development in this country. The military has tried to replace it with the 9mm pistol, but it still holds a place in the military arsenal.

most dont seem to realize they quit making the general issue military guns in 1945....lot of guys in Nam were using guns that had already been through WWII and Korea.....
http://www.americanfirearms.org/gun-history/
Originally Posted by luv2safari

If it wasn't in part for the long rifle we'd have been fighting the Indians with a 577 Snider.

It was a breech loader that won the British Empire. It would have worked. wink
Hopalong's six-shooter or Gene. Autry's. Throw in the horses and Western gear ... That's what I think of.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Winchester 94.

Maybe 92. NAh, still go with 94. Thread closed.
100 years from now and the answer will be AK47
What's more American than the SAA, Winchester 73, or predecessors of either.
100 years from now and the answer will be AK47

Yep!

Just axe Bubbah and JoBob down at the dump ground, the obligatory spot to shoot an AK. whistle
The long rifle originated in southeast Pennsylvania in the mid 1700s. The first such was likely made by Martin Meylin the rifle is on display along with documentation at the Lancaster County Historical Society. People who have not studied the long rifle seem to think any firearm with a long barrel, and a flint lock is a long rifle. Fowlers,Fusil de Chase,Jaegers,and Southern Mountain rifles are not long rifles. Anyone can readily see the differences.

Originally Posted by GunGeek
I say the most American gun is the lever action rifle. What say you?
More specifically, the one I was thinking of was the Winchester 94. Purely American in design, and sold in the millions. Still highly popular.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

There are lots of wannabe's but you still can't argue the Colt SAA. Nothing is more recognizable by more people in walks of life and every country in the world...

[Linked Image]

Those Rugers are tough to beat.

Dave
ouch, that was mean..
A shame to see even a purely opinion poll go down the tubes.

It asked what YOU think of... not what won the west or the east or beat the natives or the germans etc....

Which means there can be a ton of answers.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
ouch, that was mean..

Don't worry.

He'll use one to hit me over the head when I'm in Bozeman next month.

Travis
I like the third one down.
Too bad he couldn't afford the cool grips with the logo on them......
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rost495
A shame to see even a purely opinion poll go down the tubes.

It asked what YOU think of... not what won the west or the east or beat the natives or the germans etc....

Which means there can be a ton of answers.

Wrong.

Travis
well deserved... Then again you could have called them Remington 700s...

True, but calling them Rugers was more accurate (pun there, maybe two).

Those are made in the northeast. The northeast stopped being America a long time ago, so they don't qualify.

Travis
good point...
I guess it depends on what you consider "most American". The Long Rifle is the absolute peak of American gunmaking, unquestionably. I choose the lever action rifle because it was a purely American invention, and wherever you are in the world, if someone sees a lever action rifle, they know it's American.

With the Long Rifle, while unique to those who really know their flintlocks, most gun people really can't tell the difference between the US Long Rifle and a French Fusil or even a small bore fowler. True aficionados know that the Long Rifle was the finest gun in the world for a short time, but only the aficionados. But EVERYONE recognizes the lever action rifle and knows it's American.
grinSimon Fraser sure as hell knows the longrifle is all American!! grin
As much as I love the Long Rifle and the pride of being an American, it shaped the technology of firearms for a couple of decades, but it just wasn't used in numbers sufficient to really change a war. It demonstratively dominated one battle I can think of, and affected a few more. Was brilliant in small units, but the reality is the guns that are responsible for the US still being here were actually foreign guns (at least before 1900).

Still, there's nothing more pleasing to my eye than a finely built Long Rifle.
You do know a Greener is a British gun, made in Birmingham?? And there's probably less than 10,000 total in the US even today.
As much as I love the Long Rifle and the pride of being an American, it shaped the technology of firearms for a couple of decades, but it just wasn't used in numbers sufficient to really change a war. It demonstratively dominated one battle I can think of, and affected a few more. Was brilliant in small units, but the reality is the guns that are responsible for the US still being here were actually foreign guns (at least before 1900).

Timothy Murphy's rifle changed one battle, and with it the course of a war and of the world.

Timothy Murphy's rifle changed one battle, and with it the course of a war and of the world.

I like that statement.
Glock 22
Mine.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
This is in fun I think and no one is wrong, but, the M1 is American designed, built and won WWII using THE american cartridge. I dont think it was largely based on a foreign design and the people who built/desgned it were not hyphenated. My home county has a History with the long rifle and Bedford County Rifles are well known. Personally I like them better than a Garand.
John C. Garand was Canadian...French Canadian even.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

absolutely the truth, and the parent of a lot of cartridge development since that doesn't surpass what the original did a 100 years ago.
Regarding the arguments of the American Long Rifle, while it was an evolution of other designs (I'll let you guys argue which), the real technological leap wasn't so much the rifle as the ammunition; specifically the patched ball. Before the patched ball, you could have a rifle that was easy to load, but not very accurate, or a very accurate rifle, that was hard and slow to load.

Armies chose smoothbores with a slightly undersized ball because they could be loaded at over twice the speed of a rifle with a tight fitting ball. This made an expert who could load and fire a smoothbore flintlock as much as 7 shots per minute. But the smoothbore musket was rarely accurate beyond about 70 yards.

Rifles of the day were accurate to several hundred yards, but the work of pressing a ball down a rifled barrel meant 2-3 shots per minute at best.

The lubricated patched ball gave the American Long Rifle the accuracy of the rifle, and the loading speed of the smoothbore; that was a HUGE leap for any military unit...or any frontiersman.
SAA

It's a great story, but did it even happen? Most serious historians think it didn't happen.

But let's say it did (I like to think it did). Even if that shot was never made, we were going to win Saratoga.
Thompson, 1911, The .357 Magnum, puff the magic dragon.
the lever action rifle (generic usage of the term I know, but the concept and overall design is purely american) and the colt 1911.

the SAA was too shortlived in it's prime IMO. yes it is still popular and in production, but I would bet the 1911 has seen more use in it's life than the SAA. especially as a military sidearm.

flame suit on.
Yeah I picked lever action because I just couldn't narrow it down to just one particular lever action. Sure the Winchester 94 is the best selling sporting rifle in history, but you can't leave out the 1873. And if you're going to include the 1873, you HAVE to give props to the Henry.

Then you have the "lesser" lever rifles that are just as emblematic as being instantly recognizable as American Rifles.

All the Marlins
The Savage 99
The other Winchesters (1866, 1892, 1895)

Now think of foreign designed and made lever action rifles...crickets.
Agree. The lever action, or at least the perception to the rest of the world is that of the "American Rifle". While an argument (and a sound one) could be made of the 18th century American Long Rifles, the PERCEPTION, world-wide is that of the Winchester.
Probably the pump action whether it be rifles or shotguns, they seem to be purely an American thing. To the best of my knowledge they are not widely used in other countries.

drover
Shiloh's
Well to me its Winchester 1894 for rifles, and for handguns well Colt SAA those two are the end result of a very very long march in fire arms design is what I think of! But when you get down to it, it was the Guns that along with the men that shot them, that won our freedom and independence at the most American! After all America is not really a place, its an Idea!
pre64 Winchester M70....
Was waiting for someone to suggest the Winchester 70. Like all American bolt action rifles it is a modified Mauser.

An "American" gun should be American designed and built without an influence from any non-American source......which excludes any bolt action rifle.

I like the M1 Garand idea.....but it was not designed by an American.

All long rifles are heavily influenced by non-American designs (one could even say the long rifle was simply an improvement of other rifles).

The Winchester lever guns are a good choice....but which one? Certainly NOT the Model 94. It's just the latest in a long line of Winchester levers.....not a unique design. Maybe the Model 92.....but it is too much like it's earlier Winchester relatives. The Model 1873 suggestion has merit and would make a worthy choice, but in truth you would have to go back to the Henry to find a truly new and unique design. Lever action rifles (in general) are truly "American", but it's just too confusing to pick any one design.

The Colt SAA comes really close to meeting all criteria, but it too was a continuation of earlier designs. The Colt Walker or maybe the Patterson would be a better choice. Once again....too confusing picking a single model.

The Colt 1911 is really close, but it too was the "perfection" of earlier Colt designs....it still is a very strong candidate.

Really, really close is the Browning A-5. Not like anything that came before, American design and iconic......but it was NOT made in the USA (at least not at first.

The Winchester 93/97 shotgun (so close in design to be considered one gun) is a GREAT choice. All American, made in America and revolutionary in design. Close but no cigar.

To me, the perfect "American" gun is the Savage 99. All American in design and manufacture. It was unlike anything that came before and was almost exclusively used in America. This is the "perfect" choice.
There a lots of "most American" guns. But, I think the Winchester 1894, the Colt SSA and, the M1911 would be the most recognizable ones. These were the ones that I got the most questions about when I used to go to Sweden every month and I think they epitomize the US gun.
Hawken in its day.
That's what I think. Technology evolves, it doesn't just happen. The American long rifle evolved from European design and at the height of the golden age still incorporated European design elements. Rococo and baroque don't refer to American folk art.

Once you get to the large bore, short barreled, half stock percussion plains rifle you see form following function. And the function served was unique to the then-western America. Almost no European influence remained even in custom rifles where you're more likely to see it.
Savage 99 was on my mind, but that's already been said.

How about the Remington 742? That's about as American as you can get.
Tikka T3
Winchester 94 30-30
Originally Posted by shaman
Savage 99 was on my mind, but that's already been said.

Savage 99 probably doesn't really count.. While it was designed and made in America, the inventory Arthur W. Savage was born in Jamaica and was a British citizen. He didn't get his US citizenship until after the 1895 was being sold.
.50 BMG
Originally Posted by nighthawk
That's what I think. Technology evolves, it doesn't just happen. The American long rifle evolved from European design and at the height of the golden age still incorporated European design elements. Rococo and baroque don't refer to American folk art.

Once you get to the large bore, short barreled, half stock percussion plains rifle you see form following function. And the function served was unique to the then-western America. Almost no European influence remained even in custom rifles where you're more likely to see it.
Actually you can find German Jagers that are very similar to the Hawkens also.
Originally Posted by deflave
Colt SAA, the M1 Garand or the Thompson.

plus the 1911
The few I've seen (in pictures) were similar but different. If memory serves (maybe not) they were well ornamented in the acanthus leaf style. In any event I'd speculate that the plains rifle was inspired by practicality and apart from any Jager influence. What do ya think?
1911A1 by colt. I was issued one made by Remington UMC, and have Shot models made by, Colt, Union Switch and Signal, and Springfield. The best finished were those by Colt.
How about the M14. Sure its daddy was designed by a Canadian blush but it was re-designed by Americans, for an American caliber. It pissed off our allies who wanted an assault rifle. A few years it showed how fickle we can be when we changed to an assault rifle and left them stuck with the 308 guns they never wanted
Winchester 94
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Colt AR15

Gawd! Give us a break!! frown
Sharps made the West safe for Winchester!!
Originally Posted by RMulhern
Sharps made the West safe for Winchester!!

Preach it, Reverend!
When I think of American guns, the names Winchester and Colt immediately come to mind. For Winchester, the levers are iconic. For Colt, think of any western movie and you'll see the SAA, and watch any WWI or WWII movie and you'll see the 1911. Definitely the All-Americans!
I picked the 1897 Winchester Pump Shotgun at the start of this thread.

No foreign influence in the design as far as I know.
© 24hourcampfire