-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you look at a long rifle you will see an American adaptation of a German hunting rifle.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Colt Peacemaker 1873

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The long rifle was developed on the American frontier in southeastern Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. It was the product of German gunsmiths who immigrated to new settlements in South eastern Pennsylvania in early 1700s and later to Virginia and other territories. The earliest gunsmiths that can be documented are Robert Baker and Martin Meylin, Meylin's gun shop was built in 1719 in Berks County Pennsylvania were he produced Possibly the first long rifle. Each year the ten best flintlock riflemen from Pennsylvania and Kentucky shoot it out for bragging rights. This year the Pennsylvania team took top honors so for now it's a Pennsylvania longrifle.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Pashooter
That's the Pennsylvania long Rifle to be exact. The case could be made we would not be here without it.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't know how any of you can pick anything other than the LONG RIFLE

Nope, it ain't just a PA rifle. They were made up and down the frontier from the mountains of SC to NY; wherever German and Swiss immigrants settled.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And look at how many other ideas and innovations that arrived here by means of the naturalization process set forth in the Constitution have become American standards. That's what we are all about.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bkraft
Sharps Big 50, or Greener SxS

Uh! The Greener was English. They were used here but manufactured in England.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
American Longrifle.

This.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The long rifle was developed on the American frontier in southeastern Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. It was the product of German gunsmiths who immigrated to new settlements in South eastern Pennsylvania in early 1700s and later to Virginia and other territories. The earliest gunsmiths that can be documented are Robert Baker and Martin Meylin, Meylin's gun shop was built in 1719 in Berks County Pennsylvania were he produced Possibly the first long rifle. Each year the ten best flintlock riflemen from Pennsylvania and Kentucky shoot it out for bragging rights. This year the Pennsylvania team took top honors so for now it's a Pennsylvania longrifle.
That's the Pennsylvania long Rifle to be exact. The case could be made we would not be here without it.

Nope, it ain't just a PA rifle. They were made up and down the frontier from the mountains of SC to NY; wherever German and Swiss immigrants settled.

Those last two lines are about the dumbest damned argument I've seen made here and that takes some doing. Coming from PA, though, I'm not surprised.

The longrifle, trending and descending from the lines of the French fusil, the English fowler, and the Germanic jaeger, was appearing in various forms along the frontier from SW NC to W NY all about the same time period, roughly 1735 to 1765. The Johannes Faber rifle in VA, certainly not of PA origin, was not the first of it's kind in that region and it dates prior to 1760. Other rifles of that same era (pre- and during F&I War) have been found and with provenance along the then-frontier.

The "longrifle" is an American original; a "mutt" of various styles blended together into a unique, new breed, and one whose origins occurred almost simultaneously along the entire frontier of the American colonies. The "PA" or "KY" rifle alone is a myth; the longrifle as a breed stands out and cannot be claimed by one region or another alone.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by bkraft
Sharps Big 50, or Greener SxS

Uh! The Greener was English. They were used here but manufactured in England.

drover

You beat me to on the Greener being English.

The Garand, while a fine and important battle rifle, was designed by a Canadian, making it a little less American than many other guns mentioned.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is in fun I think and no one is wrong, but, the M1 is American designed, built and won WWII using THE american cartridge. I dont think it was largely based on a foreign design and the people who built/desgned it were not hyphenated. My home county has a History with the long rifle and Bedford County Rifles are well known. Personally I like them better than a Garand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn you posted while I was thinking, and you are right. blush

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Don't get your panty's wadded up the contest is a fun event held yearly. I passed it along as a side note not part of any "argument". You can pontificate all you want fact remains those rifles originated in Pennsylvania.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably the plains rifle in the Hawken style. Eliminated the last vestiges of European influence appearing in the old school long rifles. A practical reflection of what was needed in then western America without bowing to the niceties of European design.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tikka

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't get your panty's wadded up the contest is a fun event held yearly. I passed it along as a side note not part of any "argument". You can pontificate all you want fact remains those rifles originated in Pennsylvania.

Take it up with American Longrifles. They've actually studied the history of the "American Longrifle". The rifles originated all along the frontier, and much of the design stems from the English fowler and the French fusil, perhaps more so than the Germanic jaeger.

No doubt it's a fun event, but fun doesn't equal fact.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Smooth bore "gun" Winchester Model 12

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sharps Rifles(Buffler Guns)
[Linked Image]

Longrifles (Lancaster here)
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Easy...it was an offshoot of the German Jaeger rifle on the 1,700's. Americans, mostly emigrated Germans or their ancestors, made them longer.

The Winchester 1873 is my vote.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
American Long rifles has an interesting sight been there many times Did you see the part of their description of the long rifle that said " The long rifle began to evolve along the Pennsylvania Frontier in and about Lancaster county In the 1800s"? Pennsylvania German gunsmiths were producing long rifles in the 1700s. I doubt they took much from the fowlers or the fusil de chase at least I can not see it. I shoot both a long rifle and a fusil side by side they don't look like even distant relatives. Like comparing any rifle to a shotgun they are quite different.

Take it up with American Longrifles. They've actually studied the history of the "American Longrifle". The rifles originated all along the frontier, and much of the design stems from the English fowler and the French fusil, perhaps more so than the Germanic jaeger.

No doubt it's a fun event, but fun doesn't equal fact.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
As a Non-American, there would be several guns that the image of conjures up "America".
The M16 would have to be up there for the recent period. The Colt "six shooter" and the sight of a Kentucky rifle would be synonymous with other earlier times of the Colonies.
There are others of course. But these three stand out from different stages in your Countries history.

These were my thoughts prior to reading any of the other responses.

Last edited by AussieLad; 01/29/15.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Hawken!

Miles to go before I sleep
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,073
Posts18,521,691
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.