Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the third one down.
Too bad he couldn't afford the cool grips with the logo on them......
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495
A shame to see even a purely opinion poll go down the tubes.

It asked what YOU think of... not what won the west or the east or beat the natives or the germans etc....

Which means there can be a ton of answers.

Wrong.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well deserved... Then again you could have called them Remington 700s...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

True, but calling them Rugers was more accurate (pun there, maybe two).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Those are made in the northeast. The northeast stopped being America a long time ago, so they don't qualify.

Travis

Last edited by deflave; 01/30/15. Reason: had to clarify geographic location

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
good point...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't know how any of you can pick anything other than the LONG RIFLE
I guess it depends on what you consider "most American". The Long Rifle is the absolute peak of American gunmaking, unquestionably. I choose the lever action rifle because it was a purely American invention, and wherever you are in the world, if someone sees a lever action rifle, they know it's American.

With the Long Rifle, while unique to those who really know their flintlocks, most gun people really can't tell the difference between the US Long Rifle and a French Fusil or even a small bore fowler. True aficionados know that the Long Rifle was the finest gun in the world for a short time, but only the aficionados. But EVERYONE recognizes the lever action rifle and knows it's American.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinSimon Fraser sure as hell knows the longrifle is all American!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pashooter
That's the Pennsylvania long Rifle to be exact. The case could be made we would not be here without it.
As much as I love the Long Rifle and the pride of being an American, it shaped the technology of firearms for a couple of decades, but it just wasn't used in numbers sufficient to really change a war. It demonstratively dominated one battle I can think of, and affected a few more. Was brilliant in small units, but the reality is the guns that are responsible for the US still being here were actually foreign guns (at least before 1900).

Still, there's nothing more pleasing to my eye than a finely built Long Rifle.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bkraft
Sharps Big 50, or Greener SxS
You do know a Greener is a British gun, made in Birmingham?? And there's probably less than 10,000 total in the US even today.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
That's the Pennsylvania long Rifle to be exact. The case could be made we would not be here without it.
As much as I love the Long Rifle and the pride of being an American, it shaped the technology of firearms for a couple of decades, but it just wasn't used in numbers sufficient to really change a war. It demonstratively dominated one battle I can think of, and affected a few more. Was brilliant in small units, but the reality is the guns that are responsible for the US still being here were actually foreign guns (at least before 1900).

Timothy Murphy's rifle changed one battle, and with it the course of a war and of the world.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager

Timothy Murphy's rifle changed one battle, and with it the course of a war and of the world.

I like that statement.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Glock 22

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mine.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
This is in fun I think and no one is wrong, but, the M1 is American designed, built and won WWII using THE american cartridge. I dont think it was largely based on a foreign design and the people who built/desgned it were not hyphenated. My home county has a History with the long rifle and Bedford County Rifles are well known. Personally I like them better than a Garand.
John C. Garand was Canadian...French Canadian even.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

There are lots of wannabe's but you still can't argue the Colt SAA. Nothing is more recognizable by more people in walks of life and every country in the world...

[Linked Image]

absolutely the truth, and the parent of a lot of cartridge development since that doesn't surpass what the original did a 100 years ago.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Regarding the arguments of the American Long Rifle, while it was an evolution of other designs (I'll let you guys argue which), the real technological leap wasn't so much the rifle as the ammunition; specifically the patched ball. Before the patched ball, you could have a rifle that was easy to load, but not very accurate, or a very accurate rifle, that was hard and slow to load.

Armies chose smoothbores with a slightly undersized ball because they could be loaded at over twice the speed of a rifle with a tight fitting ball. This made an expert who could load and fire a smoothbore flintlock as much as 7 shots per minute. But the smoothbore musket was rarely accurate beyond about 70 yards.

Rifles of the day were accurate to several hundred yards, but the work of pressing a ball down a rifled barrel meant 2-3 shots per minute at best.

The lubricated patched ball gave the American Long Rifle the accuracy of the rifle, and the loading speed of the smoothbore; that was a HUGE leap for any military unit...or any frontiersman.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
SAA

Mathew 22: 37-39

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager

It's a great story, but did it even happen? Most serious historians think it didn't happen.

But let's say it did (I like to think it did). Even if that shot was never made, we were going to win Saratoga.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thompson, 1911, The .357 Magnum, puff the magic dragon.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,589
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.