Home
I have rifles to kill anything from mice, to ufo's.
I have an 870, Dehaan Huglu Turkish o/u, a Winchester 1400, and an 11-87 SP. All 12 gauge.
All I'll do with it, is shoot ducks and geese.
No need for a 3.5 incher.
3 inch works just fine.
Kinda throwing around the idea of a sxs.
1k isn't much in today's market, but a decent used gun, should be around that.
I'll mess it up, so used means I won't cringe when I drop it, or a barb wire fence scrapes it.

Suggestions ?
I would look for a 3" Zabala SxS. I had one some years ago and it was a great piece that did exactly what you desire.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10369164/Best_O/U_for_under_$1k?#Post10369164
Browning A5 mag nuff said
SXS is not my preference for hunting ducks and geese since you lose that valuable 3rd shot? Look around for a Stevenson Fox 12 gauge, made by Savage? They are no longer made but are a heck of a SXS. Just another option.

Weatherby Athena, SKB, Miroku(Charles Daly), Ugartechea, would all be good used choices. You might find a Beretta if you shop around.

New you can get a CZ(Huglu) or Yildiz easily in your price range.
Used Benelli sbe or m2...
SX3 is a good shotgun.
BSS!!!
Franchi Affinity is worth a look if you consider a semi-auto. They can be had for $800 or so.
Benelli m1 or m2 for strict 3" gun. Wife bought me a Tristar O/U so i would quit beating my nicer O/U's in the marsh when i decided to leave the autos home.

Full camo, 3 1/2" if wanted, benelli threads (i have 3 benellis as well) for $650. Ive got about 3500 trouble free rounds fired.
[quote=16penny]Browning A5 mag nuff said[/q
uote]
This^^^
CZ, or less expensive, Baikal.
Have fired a 3 inch shell in a side X side....just sayin!

Doc
Miroku 500 12ga SxS. Like the browning BSS but a little lighter and with double triggers. There was one on Armslist about a week back for $300 although they tend to run in the 600-900 range.
Shop around for the old Ithaca-SKB line of SxS shotguns (12 gauge and 20 gauge) - they were imported in the 1970's and 1980's (approximately) - good guns in the quality class of a Browning BSS.
Browning BPS, Bottom eject and thumb safety
Guy seems to be wanting a SxS and people are throwing out recommendations for about everything else. I love this place.
Thompson Center Contender in 410.
Remington 700BDL
Sxs, take a look at the CZ, they are very well made guns

If your wanting at semi. I'd look at the Beretta outlander series, or the franchi
Originally Posted by high_country_
BSS!!!

Great choice - it aint happening for $1k though...
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Remington 700BDL

marlin goose gun with 36" ( i think) barrel
As was said, I'll lose that 3rd shot.
I was thinking of going gentlemanly. I used my o/u, 3 years ago, and had a ball, and did just fine.
Since I field hunt mostly, and birds decoy in very close, and lots of birds decoy, limits arent hard.
I'm trying to keep this fun.
Was thinking late last night, that maybe another 11-87 in 20 gauge would be fun, on duck only hunts.

Pretty much, I just want another gun, and trying to justify something I'll use, and not just sit in a safe, like so many do.

Maybe an AR kit ? I have a lower laying around.....

Another old 11-87 in mossy oak camo like I have now, but with a 21 inch barrel ?

Sucks wanting something, and trying to figure out one that will get used.
NM Sucks for bg hunting. Ya never know if you'll get drawn from year to year. All these cool rifles, and nothing to use them on.
Guy seems to be wanting a SxS and people are throwing out recommendations for about everything else. I love this place.

Surprise, surprise...
Friend just bought a CZ. A nicer model with case hardened receiver for $1400 for sporting clays. I suspect the same gun in a grade down may make your price point.

Stock was too low for me in that when mounted I was looking at the back of the receiver and not over the barrels. Triggers a might stiff. Other than that it appeared solid.
A nice old Winchester Model 24 would be a keeper.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/9606139...fg-date-28-inch-barrels-REDUCED-O-B-.htm
Older means steel shot issues.

Looking for a single trigger.
My buddy has an old Fox/Savage 311 that he picked up for cheap. 3" chamber a heavy gun to soak up recoil and s/b steel capable . If I was wanting a sxs waterfowl gun I would probably try to find one of those . s/b able to find one well under $1000 under $500 actually and only mods might be to open the full choke for steel and a pad. They aren't pretty guns nor svelte but tuff reliable guns for a decent price.
This would be fun in a Duck blind.

3" with tubes and built like a tank.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=513079716
Originally Posted by splattermatic
As was said, I'll lose that 3rd shot.
I was thinking of going gentlemanly. I used my o/u, 3 years ago, and had a ball, and did just fine.
Since I field hunt mostly, and birds decoy in very close, and lots of birds decoy, limits arent hard.
I'm trying to keep this fun.
Was thinking late last night, that maybe another 11-87 in 20 gauge would be fun, on duck only hunts.

Pretty much, I just want another gun, and trying to justify something I'll use, and not just sit in a safe, like so many do.

Maybe an AR kit ? I have a lower laying around.....

Another old 11-87 in mossy oak camo like I have now, but with a 21 inch barrel ?

Sucks wanting something, and trying to figure out one that will get used.
NM Sucks for bg hunting. Ya never know if you'll get drawn from year to year. All these cool rifles, and nothing to use them on.

Save money and go on a different hunting trip? Sporting try a single shot although that may be too sporting (grin)? Get a SXS if that is what you want, you can always sell it off if you decide it isn't for you.
I'd get another 870 personally, but if you want a double...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510424702
I'd stop being a cheap ass!

http://www.benelliusa.com/828u-shotgun

Travis
If you are going to use steel shot, you're limited to a newer gun. If you're willing to pay the extra cash for softer non-toxic alternatives, then you have a large field of older guns to choose from. Let us know what you decide.

But for steel shot, the CZ doubles are getting good reviews.

Don't hesitate to ask the question at a site dedicated to shotguns, like shotgunworld.com.

Originally Posted by deflave
I'd stop being a cheap ass!

http://www.benelliusa.com/828u-shotgun

Travis

Well...I kinda am that when it comes to duck hunting. Just my opinion, but there is no way I'd designate a double for waterfowl, 'cause they're too damn awkward to break open in a lot of blinds.
Originally Posted by EdM

Surprise, surprise...

whistle

Doubles are fugkin' stupid.

But that's what he asked about so I have tactfully given my opinion.

Your friend,
Dave
But you don't have to pick up your hulls at the range...
Originally Posted by ltppowell
But you don't have to pick up your hulls at the range...

People shoot shotguns are the range? Holy boring.

There is a Benelli M2 12 gauge in our local shop that could be had for $1,200. I'd be all over it.

Travis
I field hunt out of a layout blind.
I get flocks of thousands of birds, ducks and geese.
After 7 flocks work my spread, and 7 to 14 shots later, I'm done.
It's no longer a matter of gotta fill a limit as it is just having fun.

I'll figure out what I want.

SxS's are the chit!
OU's dabble in [bleep].

If you gotta use a double for ducks, I'd find a clean Suhl made 12ga and load up some fancy metal shells for under a grand.

I found a beater A390 for cheap that I use for ducks. Spend The Rest On Beer.

Step up to the plate and get a nice Winchester 21. Good side by sides aren't cheap.

[Linked Image]
Splatter said he will figure out what he wants, but I'll give him another choice. Not sure I would want to take it into a Duck/Goose blind. grin So lets have a little fun anyway.

Perazzi makes a SxS. I've shot one that another fellow has and it handled pretty well. The Italians know how to make a shotgun.

http://perazzi.com/site/en/catalogo/91

Someone who knows how to work a Perazzi.

I field hunt out of a layout blind.
I get flocks of thousands of birds, ducks and geese.
After 7 flocks work my spread, and 7 to 14 shots later, I'm done.
It's no longer a matter of gotta fill a limit as it is just having fun.

I'll figure out what I want.

I think an MZ double would make it really cool!
I will answer your question. UGARTECHEA. If you find better for the money, let me know.

By the way, it may be under the name Parker Hale.
Just on the chance you find a V. Sarasqueta, buy it. They are quality guns that can oft be virtually stolen.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'd get another 870 personally, but if you want a double...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510424702

Dat #2 frame probably weighs 18 lbs 25oz. ;-{>8
Originally Posted by Bristoe

This would be my pick out of all the side by sides suggested.
Not a duck or goose gun, I found my Abercrombie & Fitch-branded Zoli Rizinni in a San Francisco gun shop. It cost me ~$750 quite a few years back.

I'd just be patient and watch for some deal that really grabs you.

[Linked Image]
Yeah.
Think I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the early part of the season with my 11-87, and see what may make for fun.
Went by the whorehouse today, and check out that 2800 dollar benelli o/u. Wow. NICE...
Nothing else grabbed me.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Shop around for the old Ithaca-SKB line of SxS shotguns (12 gauge and 20 gauge) - they were imported in the 1970's and 1980's (approximately) - good guns in the quality class of a Browning BSS.

These don't seem to handle steel shot to well. My Buddy's is bulged at the chokes from shooting steel. Honestly, I love my SXS's but go to a modern auto for waterfowl, just saying.
I still say make it interesting, front stuffer!!!
I think I've narrowed it down.
How's a Remington 11-87, in 20 gauge sound ?
Walnut stocks, and Matt finish.
I would never own an auto loader.

You've gone from a double to a 20 11-87?

If a 20 gauge will suit you, you really should look at a CZ Bobwhite double gun.

I really have no use for a 20 gauge double gun around here, but that little Bobwhite is such a nice feeling double that I almost bought one just to hold and look at.

http://www.gunblast.com/CZ-Bobwhite.htm
Can't deal with double triggers. Wife's Mallard, o/u, has doubles, and I prefer a single.
I could use her 20, but she'd hang me by my nuts, if I tore it up.
I had a Sears Ted Williams, 20 gauge with a poly choke for a long time. Shot a lot of critters with it.

I could just use my o/u, but I'm feelin all giddy to get a new gun.
I don't want something I'll be afraid of getting dinged up, nor something I don't care about.

I'm deadly with my 12 gauge 11-87, so might as well stick with what works for me, but just smaller.
Originally Posted by pal
Not a duck or goose gun, I found my Abercrombie & Fitch-branded Zoli Rizinni in a San Francisco gun shop. It cost me ~$750 quite a few years back.

I'd just be patient and watch for some deal that really grabs you.

[Linked Image]

That's nice....20ga?
12-ga. from the '50's.

I learned to hunt on a 20-ga sxs Stevens; really all a guy needs.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
SX3 is a good shotgun.

Friend of mine bought one of these for turkey and geese. After a full season he literally sold all the rest of his shotguns. He worships the alter of the SX3 3.5 inch.

If you're considering a twenty, I'd go A5. That's my favorite shotgun.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=512890546
I was just in the local gun shop yesterday and he has a nice Browning SXS in the rack for $975.00...

No. But an M2 or Montefeltro in 20 gauge sounds great.

Travis
I'm surprised at how many people don't know that older guns and steel shot don't mix.

Although your change from side by side to semi-auto was unforeseen, that 11-87 in 20 will be a sweet little gun. My daughters shoot that configuration in Youth, and my wife shoots an 1100 in 20. Super guns.
Originally Posted by grouseman
I'm surprised at how many people don't know that older guns and steel shot don't mix.

Did he say he was going to shoot only steel?
I love my 11-87SP, its a 12 gauge and will take 3inch shells, it's a 1994 model, never had a problem with it.
I am wanting a new (to me) shotgun, to use solely for shooting steel shot at ducks.
I have an 11-87 SP 12 ga, from the early 90's, with the tree bark camo pattern. Thousands of rounds, and no problems.

I would liked to have gone sxs, but, steel shot is the deciding factor in my choice.
No, I am not going to switch to different types of shot, just to purchase an older gun, and be able to shoot it.

I am familiar with the 11-87 platform, and shoot it very well.
Coming out of a layout blind, I'm liking the idea of less recoil.

I am also wanting to stay below 1k. A benelli would be nice, but, I'm not going to spend that much. Period....

I just ordered a Beretta A300, after wrestling between that or a Franchi Affinity. Either can be had well under a thousand. I am a Remington 1100/11-87 fan...but feel that either the Beretta or Franchi offering is a much better choice in every aspect.
A friend has a franchi, and seems to like it, but bitches about how it fits him.

How but an SX3 ?
Who's got one of those ?
SX3 is used by every one around here for waterfowl. They work. I wouldn't mind one myself.
deflave is right about the Benelli being the pick of the litter, if you want a modern semi-auto for hunting. I'd still go A5, but only because I've owned a Benelli twenty and it was too light for my taste.

How but an SX3 ?
Who's got one of those ?

I do. It's a very close 2nd to the M2.

As Pat stated the Benellis can be too light for some folks. The recoil of the SX3 is noticeably less.

But for lots of walking I love the M2 more better. Matter of fact, I like the M2 20 gauge more than any shotgun I have ever owned or used.

Travis
I should clarify that the SX3 in 20 gauge is my sons. But fugk him, I use it anyway.

Travis
If you have Academy stores in N.M. check out the Yildiz line. I know several folks that have the o/u models and really like them. Website lists SxS as well.

Keep saying I'm gonna get a 20 ga. O/u for dove, never have got around to it.
© 24hourcampfire