Home
Posted By: 6mm250 Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Why are Vienna Sausages packed in aluminum cans ?

Mike
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by 6mm250

Mike
Why not?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Boys and I always called a can of Vienna's "lil brothers" and a can of sardines "lil sisters".

But then again my 3 y o grand son was asking his dad for a jar of "hog trotters" for supper last night. Damn white trash!! laugh
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Boys and I always called a can of Vienna's "lil brothers" and a can of sardines "lil sisters".

But then again my 3 y o grand son was asking his dad for a jar of "hog trotters" for supper last night. Damn white trash!! laugh

That's funny! laugh

Eons ago we used to call Vienna Sausages "monkey dicks"...

I had forgotten all about that until I was visiting an old lady neighbor rancher awhile back and she said she was gonna eat some monkey dicks for lunch... eek Yep, she held up a can of Vienna sausages.. grin
Monkey dicks!!! LOL! I wished I could find a big ol' gallon jar of pickled eggs!!! Hell! Them with this cheap azz beer I drink would scare a Vegan phart back up their azz!!!

Oh Ron! I've laid off the Hamms! I'm hooked back on the Pearl!!! Cheaper and delicious!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
my grandson calls them monkey dicks, have no idea where he got that from.....
Posted By: Redneck Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16

Mike
Because they'd rot through steel..
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Hate them things. Rather starve.

Spam, however, is a different story.
i lived on them and corn nuts, when i was out in the oilfield
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Roflmao!!!

I wonder???
Posted By: joken2 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Monkey dicks!!! LOL! I wished I could find a big ol' gallon jar of pickled eggs!!! Hell! Them with this cheap azz beer I drink would scare a Vegan phart back up their azz!!!

Oh Ron! I've laid off the Hamms! I'm hooked back on the Pearl!!! Cheaper and delicious!

Go nuclear with garlic and onion pickled eggs.

http://www.amazon.com/Garlic-Onion-...0%2C160_&refRID=0G5Y9SJG5TE248WB3V4H
pickled eggs are easy to make.
One of my ol' hunting compadres from way back in the day who was from Albuquerque in another life was a meat plant inspector. He said generally better stuff went into the Viennas. It was the potted meat you had to watch out for!!!
One of my ol' hunting compadres from way back in the day who was from Albuquerque in another life was a meat plant inspector. He said generally better stuff went into the Viennas. It was the potted meat you had to watch out for!!!

Yep.

Spam too.

Nuthin' but azzholes and elbows.
chit, potted meat with mayo samwitch is is delicious.
Posted By: add Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Posted By: Owl Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
When I was a kid, I'd take of into the hills for 2-3 days at a time.

Lived on Vienna sausages, sardines, and pork-n-beans.

I still like the sardines, pork-n-beans. But if offered a canned wiener I'll take one to be nice and pass them up on the second go around. I do however still pack them in my pack for a day trip once in awhile. I do like them in pickled eggs also.

I absolutely love Spam. The real stuff. Not the wanna be store brand. Goes on EVERY hunting trip I take. Whether it gets used or not. It's always in the pantry.

I like to make a ham salad spread with Underwood's Deviled Ham. Mix it with a boiled egg, a diced dill pickle and some Mayo. Love that stuff.
Posted By: mathman Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Pop and I going fishing, cane poles and a cage of crickets, a box of Ritz, a couple of cans of potted meat and Viennas. I guess I'm officially old, being several years older than Dad was on those outings years ago.

Another post reminded me: cold pork and beans straight from the can.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
During WWII 2 GI's were in a foxhole and discussing the much hated vienna sausages. The the Platoon Sgt came up and told them thta Vienna Austria had just been bombed. One GI said,"Geez,I hope to Hell they hit the sausage factory!!"
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Monkey Dicks is all I ever heard them called!!!!
Posted By: Brazos Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
We always pronounced them "vye eena".
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16

there is no:
understanding a texican, particularly one who speaks french
and recites poetry.
likes that cheap azz beer
talks funny(remember i married into a texican family going back to the 1840's)
still thinks they can withdraw from the union.
likes pickled eggs.
I had an improper thought the other day, every once in a while we take sardines, which i like, out to feed some feral cats. I got some of that juice on my hands, play devil getting it off. It does smell like something else so the nickname probably is appropriate.
If i get to quemato i have to remember to bring up a couple of sixpacks of olympia beer. yes they are making it again. one of my good friends is the granddaughter of the guy who started that company.
Originally Posted by mathman
Pop and I going fishing, cane poles and a cage of crickets, a box of Ritz, a couple of cans of potted meat and Viennas. I guess I'm officially old, being several years older than Dad was on those outings years ago.

Another post reminded me: cold pork and beans straight from the can.

i have been known to this day for all of that stuff, plus onions, dark bread, and hard cheese. it came from my dad too.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

there is no:
and recites poetry.
likes pickled eggs.
I had an improper thought the other day, every once in a while we take sardines, which i like, out to feed some feral cats. I got some of that juice on my hands, play devil getting it off. It does smell like something else so the nickname probably is appropriate.
If i get to quemato i have to remember to bring up a couple of sixpacks of olympia beer. yes they are making it again. one of my good friends is the granddaughter of the guy who started that company.

Olympia was a good company and a not bad beer until the corporate raiders did them in.

Glad to see the name lives on.
Posted By: mathman Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Pop liked "rat" cheese too.
Originally Posted by Brazos

there is no:
and recites poetry.
likes pickled eggs.

Olympia was a good company and a not bad beer until the corporate raiders did them in.

Glad to see the name lives on.

some of the family have talked about reviving it. epa issues, regulations etc seem to squash it. but they are making some of these old names these days.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Always take a can of monkey dicks in the gear bag for hunting. Makes a good emergency food with all the calories.

Mom was strictly forbidden from bringing Spam into our house. Dad ate so much of it during WWII that he never wanted to taste it again.

Unfortunately, he took a liking to that Godawful goose liver, or braunschwager. My steady diet for several years of lunches at school was Oscar Mayer goose liver on white bread with Miracle Whip. Can't even look at the stuff any more.
Posted By: poboy Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Vienna Sausage - Smoked Flavor - BBQ flavor - Jalapeno flavor - Bourbon BBQ and tasty new Syrup flavor. Get some - TODAY!!
Posted By: ronc Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16

Mix in some boiled egg and it's gourmet.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I might go through a can or two in the fall during hunting season and perhaps a couple more the rest of the year. Went through a lot more back in my twenties when I used to eat a lot of stuff I wouldn't touch now. Got a can off the shelf here and checked what's in it because I couldn't recall what they're made out of. Here's what it is: SAUSAGE: "MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN , WATER, SALT, CORN SYRUP, ... CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: BEEF, PORK, DEXTROSE, NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM NITRITE, GARLIC POWDER. BROTH: CHICKEN BROTH." And I still don't know why it's in an aluminum can .
Dam Ron! We used to drink Oly when we hunted around Silver City!

I still drink the juice off sardines!!!!
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I might go through a can or two in the fall during hunting season and perhaps a couple more the rest of the year. Went through a lot more back in my twenties when I used to eat a lot of stuff I wouldn't touch now. Got a can off the shelf here and checked what's in it because I couldn't recall what they're made out of. Here's what it is: SAUSAGE: "MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN , WATER, SALT, CORN SYRUP, ... CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: BEEF, PORK, DEXTROSE, NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM NITRITE, GARLIC POWDER. BROTH: CHICKEN BROTH." And I still don't know why it's in an aluminum can .

you can't let that stuff stop you. I think we are a lot like a lot of predators, go for the soft partially rotted junk on an animal, just cause it's easier to rip off and digest.
Originally Posted by ronc

Mix in some boiled egg and it's gourmet.

You are correct!
Posted By: jimjr Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Potted meat FYI Chock full of peckers and lips. Per Johnboy and Billy, radio show out of NC.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I like 'em a lot. Usually, I'll eat them out of the can. Pour off the juice, fill the can with BBQ sauce, and go to town. Works great with Ritz Crackers.

Roflmao!!!

I wonder???

As a kid I did not know these were called Brazil nuts til the neighbors came over and saw them on the card table.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I just wish they would make a bigger can. Heck, right now a canful is just a snack that leaves you wanting more.
Originally Posted by add

Roflmao!!!

I wonder???

As a kid I did not know these were called Brazil nuts til the neighbors came over and saw them on the card table.
[Linked Image]

I knows what dey is!!!
Ni gger toes?
Dam Ron! We used to drink Oly when we hunted around Silver City!

I still drink the juice off sardines!!!!

i might admit to pouring that slop on bread.
as to the oly, that confirms it if i can remember to get it, i got a couple cases of it up at the house in prescott.
oly that is, my wife fed the last of my sardines to the cats, said they were past the expiration date, as if that would hurt anything.
Originally Posted by add

Roflmao!!!

I wonder???

[Linked Image]

I knows what dey is!!!

i don't think i have heard them called anything other than dat.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
They are in a little metal can so you can heat'em in the campfire. Then you use the empty for a drinking cup!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16

rockinbbar maybe.........He's a bad influence you should keep an eye on him.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
.......so much for the metallurgy of the can.....

Mike
Posted By: Terryk Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I am all about the Spam, but avoid Vienna.
Posted By: deflave Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
.......so much for the metallurgy of the can.....

Mike

It's to reduce the weight of the garbage created by battalion numbers of men eating them.

Dave
Posted By: rost495 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16

Pearl.... Dads beer. Brings back memories, in the little short neck bottles.....ain't drank a pearl in a LONG time. Course I don't drink much at all anyway so its no surprise. LOL.
Posted By: ronc Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by add

Roflmao!!!

I wonder???

[Linked Image]

I knows what dey is!!!

i don't think i have heard them called anything other than dat.

I've always called them surveyors steak.
Posted By: EdM Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
My hunting pard always carries those, canned sardines or similar and canned stewed tomatoes in his fanny pack for lunch in the field. I got to smell the stench of the fish last fall.
Posted By: mohick Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
God dam worked in a packing house too many years to eat floor sweepings, grinder scrapings, and grease trap cleanings!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
They go good on biscuits too wink
Posted By: tzone Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by Redneck

Mike
Because they'd rot through steel..

lol probably true!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
They are packed in aluminum cans because of the sodium chloride given off by the meat would corrode steel cans.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
And you can warm them up in the can?
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
None a you summbitches know fine culinary delicacy when it's staring at you in the face at your local gas station. If this was over in the caviar section of the local gourmet shop at $100/oz., you'd be singin' a different story!

Tip, sausages are best at room temp followed by a chaser of the gelatinous goo leftover. grin

Goooood livin'!!! cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by add

Roflmao!!!

I wonder???

[Linked Image]

I knows what dey is!!!

Me too but we call those creme drop candys you get around Christmas negro toes.

As for Vienna sausages, I had rather eat sardines, just as $hitty but way better for you. I will call them monkey diks frome hence forth.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
A fishing trip wouldn't be complete without a can of Vee-ann'r sausages and a package of Nabs.
Posted By: bangeye Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Always take a can of monkey dicks in the gear bag for hunting. Makes a good emergency food with all the calories.

Mom was strictly forbidden from bringing Spam into our house. Dad ate so much of it during WWII that he never wanted to taste it again.

Unfortunately, he took a liking to that Godawful goose liver, or braunschwager. My steady diet for several years of lunches at school was Oscar Mayer goose liver on white bread with Miracle Whip. Can't even look at the stuff any more.

Do you still speak to your Mom? I'm not complaining about the braunschwager but Miracle Whip on anything is unforgivable, I hate the stuff. Learned early if buying a sandwich at a southern meat counter and they asked if you wanted mayo to say no as most had no idea there was a difference and if you tried to explain it you got a look like a cow at a passing train.
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
We always called them "baby dicks". Man, that goose liver with chopped onions and good old miracle whip on bread....yum.
If you want the definition of nasty ass spread, it's mayo, nothing but gawd damned grease and egg yolks...whew, nasty chit for sure!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
We always called them "baby dicks". Man, that goose liver with chopped onions and good old miracle whip on bread....yum.
If you want the definition of nasty ass spread, it's mayo, nothing but gawd damned grease and egg yolks...whew, nasty chit for sure!

Bet you like fromunda
Posted By: rem141r Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
i gotta be loaded to eat them. its the consistency that gets me. kind of like chilled dog chit. not that i would know what chilled dog chit is like. my beagle seems to like it though so i trust his judgement.

I'm with ya on the Gooseliver!

I like the Oscar Mayer brand with the hog fat on the edges. smile

Braunschweiger will do in a pinch too.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Bet you like fromunda

Dumbass me , I didn't have a clue so I googled that.

One of them things I didn't want or need to know

Mike
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I dearly love any and all things mentioned above. And by a curious coinkydink, I was shopping today and saw a lady with an 18-pack of Vienna sausages. No kidding.

Some of you can make fun of SPAM, Viennies, Braunsweiger, and potted meat, but they are all made with good wholesome meat. That meat might come from a part of the animal you're not used to eating (like cheeks and tongue) but it's all good. Correct that: it's DAMN good.

Monkey? Hell, those damn sausages are bigger than mine, LOL!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I like Vienna Sausages, despite the congealed fat when they are cold. Much easier to pour off the fat when they are warm. My Wife and kids think that they're disgusting, but that just leaves more for me. Vienna sausages, ramen noodles, baby belle cheese, and club crackers sounds like a hardy lunch to me.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep.

Spam too.

Nuthin' but azzholes and elbows.

What do you have against azzholes and elbows ya lazy bastid..... grin

My motto whether hot dogs, spam, vienna wieners, or potted meat.....the more snout the better.....
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Haven't had any of that POTTED MEAT FOOD PRODUCT in years. I used to consume it once in a while long ago in my economically challenged younger days. I don't recall exactly what it's made from but the ingredients listing on the can is enough to scare you out of buying it. One of my buddies used to joke about it, saying that it was made from whatever they scraped off the slaughterhouse floor at the end of the workday. Next time I see some I'm gonna check it out. Might even buy a can just to relive the experience. One thing I do remember about it is that Vienna Sausages are MUCH better.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
My motto whether hot dogs, spam, vienna wieners, or potted meat.....the more snout the better.....

As long as it was clean when it went in the pot, I'm good with it. smile
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

I'm with ya on the Gooseliver!

I like the Oscar Mayer brand with the hog fat on the edges. smile

Braunschweiger will do in a pinch too.

Man.....I love that chit.....when I was a kid it was my favorite lunch meat....I'd peel the fat ring off and eat it on the spot....then make a sandwich out of the center.............................with LOTS of mayo.....

Pretty sure Braunschweiger actually list Pig Snout as an ingredient...
i was telling my wife about this thread, and she was snickering. and she said do you remember when we first got married i was putting that stuff in the basket and you said who eats that caca? I forgot she was born in texas.
Posted By: LostHighway Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I always wonder who eats garbage called process meats.

Bet you like fromunda

Dumbass me , I didn't have a clue so I googled that.

One of them things I didn't want or need to know

Mike

Laff'n. Fromunda and cock meat on wheat with a big dab of duck butter!
What the fugk is goose liver?

Dave
It is a organ inside a goose.
Originally Posted by deflave
What the fugk is goose liver?

Dave

Good chit!

Making the pate properly is a process similar to chokin' yer chicken (or so was told).

[Linked Image]
I just googled it and it appears to be nothing but liverwurst.

Liverwurst is delicious and anybody that can't love and enjoy monkey dicks, spam, or potted meat is a flaming homo.

Travis
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Except for the inconvenient fact that Braunschweiger is NOT goose liver. It's made out of beef or pork liver, with bacon, meat, and seasonings mixed in.
Then I'm open for fuggin buisness, cause potted meat and monkey cock ain't food or even processed food product. Screw that nasty $hit!
Though spam is a heavenly treat.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Except for the inconvenient fact that Braunschweiger is NOT goose liver. It's made out of beef or pork liver, with bacon, meat, and seasonings mixed in.

Sounds like they're synonymous in most locale's.

Dave
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I LOVE processed meat as much as the next guy but heard it's also hard on a guy.

Leftover steak and pheasant breast strips(in a zip lock with a little sauce....), and hot dogs and Vienna's. It's all about convenience.

Fuuckin' LOVE all meats......
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Try Vieners with LOTS of mustard, with a side of Lance Nipchee crackers. Combine that with Cherry Lemon Sundrop and you have a delicacy.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
We used to eat all those delicacies, but most times we couldn't afford to buy the fancy stuff that came in a can so smoked or pickled beef tongue was the meat du jour.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Fuuckin' LOVE all meat...

Posted By: bubbajay Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by tmitch
We used to eat all those delicacies, but most times we couldn't afford to buy the fancy stuff that came in a can so smoked or pickled beef tongue was the meat du jour.

Any of the sausage or ring bologna is really good from this place....try a ring of the liver sausage the color may be intimidating...but I have never had any that tastes better.

sausage Link....

Go to the sausage and kuchen special order part of the page....
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by add

I was trolling for Flave......grin

All right you puzzies......

Just downed a bottle of this for supper.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by LostHighway

Well...now ya know granola boy.....enjoy your humas.....
"formed"

da fuq?
Still, fine eats if it makes a turd in the am...
Posted By: Owl Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Chipped beef on toast..... Yum yum
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I figured out a long time ago, if it tastes good, don't f**k it up by reading the label.........
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by add

[Linked Image]

95% Fat Free?
WTF? You drive a Subaru now to, Samantha?

Hah! That chit is great with white gravy on toast. Enough sodium the cows will lick ya ta death.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Vienna sausage have been in my pack as long as I been hunting and that's awhile smile
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16

Yep, azzholes, lips and eyebrows ... with the occasional navel. That's what goes into Vienna sausages.

Oh yeah, and the "casings" are made out of monkey scrotums.

Blessings,

Steve

Posted By: bubbajay Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
Originally Posted by add

[Linked Image]

peanut butter...hot sauce...kangaroo wine...white label beer.......and box of tampons. smile
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/25/16
I buy Vi-any sausages for the dog, along with chicken dogs and occasionally liverwurst. I do eat some of his liverwurst, but not that other crap.

Sardines packed in mustard, kippered herring, and smoked oysters are primo eats.

If you're going to eat SOS, at least get the good dried beef. Anything "formed and flaked" is out.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by LostHighway

You're just disappointed that this thread weren't about Vienna Boys Choir
Posted By: deflave Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
I LOVE processed meat as much as the next guy but heard it's also hard on a guy.

It is after reading that.

PM sent.

Dave
Posted By: deflave Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16

Playing with my emotions?

WTF?

Go back to your kangaroo wine.

Clark
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by deflave

Playing with my emotions?

WTF?

Go back to your kangaroo wine.

Clark
Just don't bait him out about ugly Blackhawk's sweaters.......
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
I would dearly love to see some of you on a military survival course. Along about the fifth day of you waiting for prime rib to fall from the sky, I'd just grin at what you'd be willing to eat. And like. Except that I'd have beaten you to it.

Meat is meat, boys and girls. It's a shame that some of the best parts of the animal never make it to market except in cans.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Dan told me Bob loves meat in the can.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Italian sausage?
Posted By: mathman Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
The sweet variety?
Posted By: EdM Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I dearly love any and all things mentioned above. And by a curious coinkydink, I was shopping today and saw a lady with an 18-pack of Vienna sausages. No kidding.

Some of you can make fun of SPAM, Viennies, Braunsweiger, and potted meat, but they are all made with good wholesome meat. That meat might come from a part of the animal you're not used to eating (like cheeks and tongue) but it's all good. Correct that: it's DAMN good.

Monkey? Hell, those damn sausages are bigger than mine, LOL!

Mild hypertension so I try to keep my salt intake down hence I touch none of it.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
I forgot about the sodium angle on those things. Luckily I don't have to watch the salt intake, at least not yet. But I checked my 4.75 oz. can of vienna sausages and it has 470 mg. of sodium. That's a lot for a 4.75 oz. can.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
I've eaten some pretty strange stuff in my life, canned sausage doesn't even make the top 50.
Posted By: philgood80 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Viennas and Franks and beans could make marines sing hallelujah if it were that or an MRE! We were always willing to carry the extra weight in our packs because no one wanted to be plugged up for 3-4 days only to crap a cinder block!!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
I was in the C-Rats Army and learned to like ham & eggs 'cause few others I ever met liked them. A little Frank Hot Sauce made the "green eggs and ham" quite good, either hot or cold, but not frozen.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Any C-rat is improved w/ the addition of baby dicks. Beanie Weanies w/ a can of cheese melted over the top cooked over C4 followed by a can of peaches is a feast to the grunt gourmet.

mike r
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Old guy I used to know called 'em "Puppy Peters". Never tasted the same after I heard that.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Damn, gophergunner! You lived the same nightmare I did! Blehhh!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16

Mike

Cheap chit meat goes in cheap packaging.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16

Fuuckin' LOVE all meats......

I had a girl friend like that, fun but a dirty whore...
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/26/16
We called them Vieeny weenies. I ate a lot of them when I was in the Army the first time. Not so many the 2nd and 3rd time. I was getting separate rations then and could afford real food.

I buy a few cans and eat them with crackers just to remind myself where I came from.

kwg
Posted By: 308ragincajun Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
1 of these days I'm going to get a camping trailer, which I will rename "hurricane escape module", and I will stock it with the necessities of life: Vienna sausage, potted meat, sardines, beef jerky, and BUDWEISER!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
I keep a couple of cans of Vienna sausages in the truck, along with a pack of saltines. Useful when you get sidelined and don't get to a good lunch! I honestly don't mind 'em on ocassion.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Vyeenees were in steel cans originally, just like Spam. They came with a key glued to the bottom that fit onto a tab just under the top. You rolled a strip off the side of the can then removed the top, leaving about 3/8 " of the sausages exposed and you could pull them out.

Spam opened the same way.

Once they started selling up North. they had to come up with an idiot-proof way of opening them, so they went to aluminum and pull tabs.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Vyeenees were in steel cans originally, just like Spam. They came with a key glued to the bottom that fit onto a tab just under the top. You rolled a strip off the side of the can then removed the top, leaving about 3/8 " of the sausages exposed and you could pull them out.

Once they started selling up North. they had to come up with an idiot-proof way of opening them, so they went to aluminum and pull tabs.

And I always thought the steel cans easier to use smile
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Veeny weenies, Spam, sardines, all good.
I draw the line at the deviled ham and potted meat though, meat shouldn't be paste.
Posted By: calikooknic Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Always a can of monkey pickles, potted meat, kipper snacks, mustard, and saltines in my pards Jeep. Gin and tonics or beer have washed it down for the last twenty years.

ETA, four cans in the pantry.
Posted By: dawggone Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
A fishing trip wouldn't be complete without a can of Vee-ann'r sausages and a package of Nabs.

figured you to be a canned pecker eater.
Posted By: mathman Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Always a can of monkey pickles, potted meat, kipper snacks, mustard, and saltines in my pards Jeep. Gin and tonics or beer have washed it down for the last twenty years.

ETA, four cans in the pantry.

My pantry just lost a can.
Posted By: antlers Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Veeny weenies, Spam,...all good.
I draw the line at the deviled ham and potted meat though, meat shouldn't be paste.

lol

They take 'meat paste' and extrude it into the shape of them little "Veeny weenies".
Posted By: WinnebagoMan Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/27/16
Pre chilled in the fridge I keep a few cans. Pop the top and wash out the slime....pour A-1 steak sauce into the can. Head back to the TV.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Actually they did it for you knuckle dragging mouth breathers down south because they knew once they printed DIRECTIONS on 'em you dumb [bleep] would starve to death trying to open the can!
Posted By: WinnebagoMan Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/28/16
Maybe you shouldnt even be eating the things with your yankee cholesterol being over 500, aint you one Butterfinger from OHHHHH SHCITTTT!!??
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Vienna Sausages ? - 05/28/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I buy Vi-any sausages for the dog, along with chicken dogs and occasionally liverwurst. I do eat some of his liverwurst, but not that other crap.

Sardines packed in mustard, kippered herring, and smoked oysters are primo eats.

If you're going to eat SOS, at least get the good dried beef. Anything "formed and flaked" is out.

I'm not sure I'd brag about eating fish that's processed in China knowing what we know about their lack of concern for cleanliness and the enviornment while chit mouthing processed meat form America but if it makes you feel smarter and better than everyone else knock yourself out.....
© 24hourcampfire