Home
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
Is a genuine ripoff! So there!

I drive a 2007 Durango that has 200,000 miles on it and has survived two major hailstorms so I just carry PL/PD on it. O, the first hailstorm paid me 7500.00 so being as I think all those dimples look good, I blew it. Enjoyed doing so.

So renewal fee for liability only today was 513.00 for six months.

My 1988 Chinook 21' motor home is 377.00 per YEAR for full coverage. Doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

My thought is that the driver should be insured but not the vehicle
in a liability case and I have not had even one chargeable accident in my 65 years or so of driving several kinds of automobiles.

How about y'all? Is insurance a rip off ? How much in your state?
Posted By: fish head Re: Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
I never would have thought this before but ...

Check out AARP - Hartford.

They give us old guys a break.

BTW, I DON'T LIKE AARP at all but ... $$$ is $$$.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
I just carry liability on a 3/4 ton Chevy. My last payment was $74 for 6 months. It started out $90 something but has dropped a few bucks each renewal.
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
As a comedian once said Insurance = "In Case Sh*t Happens" if nothing happens it seems like a waste. Those little number crunching actuaries can tell you to the gnats a$$ what the probability of a certain thing happening that is how they make the money.
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
if they insure the driver, and he dies in a car accident who pays the life insurance policy.....
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
In my case, nobody as I have never carried life insurance but have made investments that have paid off far better.

But in what you speak of, I would have no idea.
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I just carry liability on a 3/4 ton Chevy. My last payment was $74 for 6 months. It started out $90 something but has dropped a few bucks each renewal.

Now that's more like it but all states are different. That shouldn't be.
I am still working, my employer pays for life Ins. up to an amount more than I make. If I get in a car accident, should the other driver get that money? Does it even matter if I die in the accident?
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I am still working, my employer pays for life Ins. up to an amount more than I make. If I get in a car accident, should the other driver get that money? Does it even matter if I die in the accident?

Might be better than being shot by a jealous husband.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Automobile insurance - 02/22/17
Doesn't sound right. Is the truck used in a business?
Both....my life insurance pays on both as well.

No jealous husbands... 😆
Posted By: walt501 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
Originally Posted by fish head

My Mom had AARP auto insurance. Great rates......at first,then up up up they go every single year. And they'll harass you about your annual miles driven and want an odometer reading every year. Drive too little, as in under 5000 miles per year and they'll raise your rate even more.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17

In our experience once a vehicle has some years on it and we've checked into dropping from full coverage down to just liability alone the difference in premiums was relatively small.

Posted By: Seafire Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
If you want just liability on your car or truck in a lot of states, and want to pay "not much, or as little as possible"....

instead of no collision, check out the rates on full coverage but with a $1000 deductible....

on old cars, both in MN and here in Oregon, with several different companies we've had along the last 20 something years.... the rates for no collision vs full coverage with a 1000 dollar deductible, the later was about 40% cheaper...

The reason its so cheap, is no one ever takes it... so they don't pay out a lot of accidents with that kind of coverage...

and since rates are based on how much they pay out, on coverage in each category, that is why the latter one is cheaper....

I've had many new agents tell me that can't be right... but checking with their home office they found out I was right...

I've learned to ask a lot of questions in the business end of life... you'd be surprised what you find...

I learned this after an actuary actually explained to me how they set rates... a lot of it doesn't make sense to the average guy on the street....but when you understand its based on how much they pay out on each type of situation.. it makes perfect sense...
Posted By: 4ager Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by fish head

My Mom had AARP auto insurance. Great rates......at first,then up up up they go every single year. And they'll harass you about your annual miles driven and want an odometer reading every year. Drive too little, as in under 5000 miles per year and they'll raise your rate even more.

It's not AARP insurance. It's Hartford Insurance that is "endorsed" (I.e., AARP gets a cut) by AARP.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
If your state has a Farm Bureau, check out their auto rates. If you qualify for USAA, get them. Both have very good rates and, what is at least as if not more important, excellent claims adjusters.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
Every few years I check a few places out, but for my vehicles I have had American Family for years as nobody can touch the rates I get.

Full coverage on a 3/4 Dodge Diesel (500&500) & full coverage on an older Grand Cherokee 1000 collision & 500 comp.

Liability on a Ford Ranger - I pay around 80 a month for those three. Full coverage on the 5th wheel is around 240.00 a year with them.

Motorcycles are under progressive - Around 90.00 a year for full coverage on my Honda 919 & liability is an extra 9 a year for a dirt bike.

160 ish for a set amount on my boat, can't recall the company at the moment.

Way too much money each year, but in regards to my camper & vehicles I'm more concerned about a tree falling on them than anything or some other dip sh*t doing something.

The boat I worry about being stolen or taking out the lower unit on a rock or a log.
Posted By: RDW Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

I drive a 2007 Durango that has 200,000 miles on it and has survived two major hailstorms so I just carry PL/PD on it. O, the first hailstorm paid me 7500.00 so being as I think all those dimples look good, I blew it. Enjoyed doing so.

My 1988 Chinook 21' motor home is 377.00 per YEAR for full coverage. Doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

My thought is that the driver should be insured but not the vehicle
in a liability case and I have not had even one chargeable accident in my 65 years or so of driving several kinds of automobiles.

How about y'all? Is insurance a rip off ? How much in your state?

There is no doubt in the world that auto insurance is a fk'n ripoff, in Texas we are required to have a liability insurance policy on every vehicle....fk'n stupid. I have two vehicles now and will have three in the near future, could have four if I decided to ride again but I can only drive one at a time, period.
Posted By: hanco Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
There is a lot of people that don't bother with insurance. A lot cheaper that way!!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
I've never understood needing insurance on every vehicle or any vehicle.

Insure the individual.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17

Look for a different insurance co.

Friend of mine recently told me his Buick was nearly $1300 year for full coverage.. I said he was getting screwed. He said he looked at others and they were comparable - then asked what my F-350 costs/year in insurance.. When I told him it was a hair under $600/year he didn't believe it.

Next day at coffee I brought in the "dec page" and the insurance bill. He went home and made a few calls. Next day he came in and said he cancelled his company and went with another; cost now is nearly the same as mine..

Make some calls..
Posted By: k22hornet Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17

I drive a 2007 Durango that has 200,000 miles on it and has survived two major hailstorms so I just carry PL/PD on it. O, the first hailstorm paid me 7500.00 so being as I think all those dimples look good, I blew it.

So, the 'rip-off' insurance company paid you $7,500 for cosmetic damage to your truck? Sound's good to me. By the way, the hail dimples on your truck will get you better gas mileage and make it drive straighter, just like the dimples on a golf ball, lol.

In full disclosure, I'm an insurance broker and represent about 13 carriers.

If you are unhappy with your rates/coverage/customer service, by all means, shop around.I've seen differences of thousands of dollars between companies, for the same risk.

Your buying car insurance for the guy you hit and injure/damage, just like buying life insurance is for the loved ones you leave behind when you die.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
I have State Farm. I've never had a problem with them. My '08 Dodge 2500 Cummins costs about $700/yr for full coverage.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
Insurance premiums are calculated based on the risk and potential monetary loss you can cause the company.

Insurance companies pay out very little to cover the costs to replace or repair your vehicle. The vast majority of their payouts are to pay hospital bills of people injured or killed in a crash. Not to mention the lawsuits that they will be hit with because of your actions.

A $1,000 junker can kill just as many people in a bad crash as a $100,000 luxury car.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Automobile insurance - 02/23/17
I have full coverage on my 1963 Chevy pu.and it's not that much.

The company it Haggerty and so far all i had to do is have at least one more car/truck.

I like my insurance folks they were the ones who told me about them.
© 24hourcampfire