Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is a genuine ripoff! So there!

I drive a 2007 Durango that has 200,000 miles on it and has survived two major hailstorms so I just carry PL/PD on it. O, the first hailstorm paid me 7500.00 so being as I think all those dimples look good, I blew it. Enjoyed doing so.

So renewal fee for liability only today was 513.00 for six months.

My 1988 Chinook 21' motor home is 377.00 per YEAR for full coverage. Doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

My thought is that the driver should be insured but not the vehicle
in a liability case and I have not had even one chargeable accident in my 65 years or so of driving several kinds of automobiles.

How about y'all? Is insurance a rip off ? How much in your state?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never would have thought this before but ...

Check out AARP - Hartford.

They give us old guys a break.

BTW, I DON'T LIKE AARP at all but ... $$$ is $$$.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just carry liability on a 3/4 ton Chevy. My last payment was $74 for 6 months. It started out $90 something but has dropped a few bucks each renewal.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a comedian once said Insurance = "In Case Sh*t Happens" if nothing happens it seems like a waste. Those little number crunching actuaries can tell you to the gnats a$$ what the probability of a certain thing happening that is how they make the money.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
if they insure the driver, and he dies in a car accident who pays the life insurance policy.....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In my case, nobody as I have never carried life insurance but have made investments that have paid off far better.

But in what you speak of, I would have no idea.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I just carry liability on a 3/4 ton Chevy. My last payment was $74 for 6 months. It started out $90 something but has dropped a few bucks each renewal.

Now that's more like it but all states are different. That shouldn't be.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am still working, my employer pays for life Ins. up to an amount more than I make. If I get in a car accident, should the other driver get that money? Does it even matter if I die in the accident?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I am still working, my employer pays for life Ins. up to an amount more than I make. If I get in a car accident, should the other driver get that money? Does it even matter if I die in the accident?

Might be better than being shot by a jealous husband.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't sound right. Is the truck used in a business?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Both....my life insurance pays on both as well.

No jealous husbands... 😆

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fish head

My Mom had AARP auto insurance. Great rates......at first,then up up up they go every single year. And they'll harass you about your annual miles driven and want an odometer reading every year. Drive too little, as in under 5000 miles per year and they'll raise your rate even more.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

In our experience once a vehicle has some years on it and we've checked into dropping from full coverage down to just liability alone the difference in premiums was relatively small.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you want just liability on your car or truck in a lot of states, and want to pay "not much, or as little as possible"....

instead of no collision, check out the rates on full coverage but with a $1000 deductible....

on old cars, both in MN and here in Oregon, with several different companies we've had along the last 20 something years.... the rates for no collision vs full coverage with a 1000 dollar deductible, the later was about 40% cheaper...

The reason its so cheap, is no one ever takes it... so they don't pay out a lot of accidents with that kind of coverage...

and since rates are based on how much they pay out, on coverage in each category, that is why the latter one is cheaper....

I've had many new agents tell me that can't be right... but checking with their home office they found out I was right...

I've learned to ask a lot of questions in the business end of life... you'd be surprised what you find...

I learned this after an actuary actually explained to me how they set rates... a lot of it doesn't make sense to the average guy on the street....but when you understand its based on how much they pay out on each type of situation.. it makes perfect sense...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by fish head

My Mom had AARP auto insurance. Great rates......at first,then up up up they go every single year. And they'll harass you about your annual miles driven and want an odometer reading every year. Drive too little, as in under 5000 miles per year and they'll raise your rate even more.

It's not AARP insurance. It's Hartford Insurance that is "endorsed" (I.e., AARP gets a cut) by AARP.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your state has a Farm Bureau, check out their auto rates. If you qualify for USAA, get them. Both have very good rates and, what is at least as if not more important, excellent claims adjusters.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every few years I check a few places out, but for my vehicles I have had American Family for years as nobody can touch the rates I get.

Full coverage on a 3/4 Dodge Diesel (500&500) & full coverage on an older Grand Cherokee 1000 collision & 500 comp.

Liability on a Ford Ranger - I pay around 80 a month for those three. Full coverage on the 5th wheel is around 240.00 a year with them.

Motorcycles are under progressive - Around 90.00 a year for full coverage on my Honda 919 & liability is an extra 9 a year for a dirt bike.

160 ish for a set amount on my boat, can't recall the company at the moment.

Way too much money each year, but in regards to my camper & vehicles I'm more concerned about a tree falling on them than anything or some other dip sh*t doing something.

The boat I worry about being stolen or taking out the lower unit on a rock or a log.

Life is just one damned thing after another
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Is a genuine ripoff! So there!

I drive a 2007 Durango that has 200,000 miles on it and has survived two major hailstorms so I just carry PL/PD on it. O, the first hailstorm paid me 7500.00 so being as I think all those dimples look good, I blew it. Enjoyed doing so.

So renewal fee for liability only today was 513.00 for six months.

My 1988 Chinook 21' motor home is 377.00 per YEAR for full coverage. Doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

My thought is that the driver should be insured but not the vehicle
in a liability case and I have not had even one chargeable accident in my 65 years or so of driving several kinds of automobiles.

How about y'all? Is insurance a rip off ? How much in your state?

There is no doubt in the world that auto insurance is a fk'n ripoff, in Texas we are required to have a liability insurance policy on every vehicle....fk'n stupid. I have two vehicles now and will have three in the near future, could have four if I decided to ride again but I can only drive one at a time, period.

Dave

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
There is a lot of people that don't bother with insurance. A lot cheaper that way!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've never understood needing insurance on every vehicle or any vehicle.

Insure the individual.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (160user, 22kHornet, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.