Home
Posted By: Tarkio Legal age to OWN/BUY a firearm - 02/25/18
What exactly are some examples of the legal age for firearm ownership in different states?
In SC and 18 year old can own a pistol.
They cannot buy one from an FFL but they could buy one privately.
Can own and concealed carry a handgun in SD, but you can not purchase one until 21.

All other laws, I assume, are just the same as other places.
In Idaho, you can buy or carry a gun of any kind at age 18. You can do it younger if you have WRITTEN permission from your parents. The permission isn't needed if he has a parent with him while buying or carrying a gun.

It's 21 for concealed carry as long as you can legally carry one (no felonies, etc.). Idaho's constitutional carry now.
Are there any “Free” states out there that have NO RESTRICTIONS on your Consitutionally guaranteed RKBA?

Meaning at 18 I can walk into any FFL gun shop buy ANYTHING I want and 10 minutes later walk out with it and carry it on my person in any configuration I want?
You can't buy a Tommy gun or M16 anywhere. You must undergo a federal background check anywhere (unless your state allows CC permit holders to bypass that). So no, there are no 'free' states. Idaho's about as close as they come where those under 18 only need a permission slip from their parents to buy one.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Are there any “Free” states out there that have NO RESTRICTIONS on your Consitutionally guaranteed RKBA?

Meaning at 18 I can walk into any FFL gun shop buy ANYTHING I want and 10 minutes later walk out with it and carry it on my person in any configuration I want?

No, because the handgun age limit is federal.

AK is close... background check clears and you are on your way and can carry open or concealed without ccw.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

No, because the handgun age limit is federal.

AK is close... background check clears and you are on your way and can carry open or concealed without ccw.

👍

Got it yes assumed the 21 on handgun.
Originally Posted by ringworm
In SC and 18 year old can own a pistol.
They cannot buy one from an FFL but they could buy one privately.

Same for Michigan.

No. An FFL is required to call in ANY firearm purchaser for verification via Instacheck. This means no handgun purchase via FFL.
As far as carry, that falls to the states law and occasionally municipality.
Vermont is about the most permissive state AT THIS TIME.
the POS governor is playing turncoat .

Ironic that a 18 year old can join any of our military branches, be required to learn and use all kinds of weapon systems and serve in combat areas all over the world risking life, limb and possible lifelong mental anguish but can't legally purchase a firearm from a FFL until they are 21 years old.

Back prior to 1971 18 year olds couldn't vote either but were old enough to be cannon fodder and were only allowed to buy 3/2 beer on post.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
What exactly are some examples of the legal age for firearm ownership in different states?

What does the constitution say??? Why should the states be allowed a back door circumvention of the 2nd??? The problems in our country have nothing at all to do with the 2nd.....
Originally Posted by joken2

Ironic that a 18 year old can join any of our military branches, be required to learn and use all kinds of weapon systems and serve in combat areas all over the world risking life, limb and possible lifelong mental anguish but can't legally purchase a firearm from a FFL until they are 21 years old.

Back prior to 1971 18 year olds couldn't vote either but were old enough to be cannon fodder and were only allowed to buy 3/2 beer on post.

You have 3 sober years to give your life for your country.
I live in a free state, over 18 to own a handgun or long gun, must be 21 to carry concealed which does not require permit.
it's changed tho, i use to routinely carry a pistol and long gun on a scooter at around age 11. Nobody really cared.

Arizona gun laws are found mostly in Title 13, Chapter 31 of the Arizona Revised Statutes.[3] There is no registration or licensing of non-NFA firearms in Arizona. Section 13-3108 subsection B prohibits any political subdivision of the state from enacting any laws requiring licensing or registration.[4] According to state law, a person must be 18 years of age to purchase any non-NFA firearm from any source; however, there is a federal age limit of 21 years on handgun purchases from federal firearms licensees.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

I enlisted in the Airforce in '72. The drinking age was 18. grin
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

I first went it at 17 (1986 with parental permission) and my first duty station was in Korea and it was a complete drunkfest. From there I went to Ft. Bliss where I was allowed to drink on post and quite a few bars in El Paso would serve me when they saw my military ID.

About the time I turned 22 I figured out me and drinking didn't really get along so I quit drinking for quite a while. By the time I re-enlisted in 1997 the rules had changed (at least at Ft Carson) as anyone under 21 wasn't supposed to drink.
Posted By: djs Re: Legal age to OWN/BUY a firearm - 02/25/18
Don't know when it is legally OK to own a firearm, but I got my first gun at 13.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I turned 18 the year after Wisconsin lowered drinking age from 21 to 18....... sick
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I turned 18 the year after Wisconsin lowered drinking age from 21 to 18....... sick

If we went TDY to a state that still had the 21 rule we had to drink on base at the NCO club, 3.2 beer.

Back in the late '60s at both Ft. Knox, Ky and Ft. Polk, LA under 21 year old service members could only buy 3/2 beer on post.

At that same time though off post the legal drinking age in the state of Louisiana was18 years of age for all types of beverages containing alcohol regardless the proof.

The irony of being drafted at 18, but not being able to vote or drink beer prompted passage of the 26th amendment in March 1971. The 26th amendment holds the record for the shortest time needed for ratification, which was 3 months and 8 days.

Back in 1791 when the 2nd amendment was ratified the age of majority was 21 in most states. Who thinks today's kids are more mature when it comes to things like firearms than they were back in 1791?
Voting age should be 27. Gun ownership 18. Drive a car 21. Alcohol at 21.

If enforced this would solve alot of issues.
As far as I know, there is no age restrictions to firearm ownership in Texas. Of course, Federal laws apply to purchase and State laws concerning LTC.
Posted By: KMS Re: Legal age to OWN/BUY a firearm - 02/26/18
Originally Posted by ltppowell
As far as I know, there is no age restrictions to firearm ownership in Texas. Of course, Federal laws apply to purchase and State laws concerning LTC.

Let's be clear, when talking about legally purchasing firearms, 18 to purchase long guns. 21 to purchase handguns or lower receivers.
Originally Posted by KMS

Let's be clear, when talking about legally purchasing firearms, 18 to purchase long guns. 21 to purchase handguns or lower receivers.

Right, but I can legally give my 2yr old grandson a rifle for Christmas if I want to. Control of that child is the responsibility of his parents, not the State.
Originally Posted by KMS

Right, but I can legally give my 2yr old grandson a rifle for Christmas if I want to. Control of that child is the responsibility of his parents, not the State.

Yes, but it belongs to you until he turns 18.
Federal law prohibits any person under 18 from possessing a firearm, or from anyone giving, selling or otherwise transferring one.
Originally Posted by KMS
Federal law prohibits any person under 18 from possessing a firearm, or from anyone giving, selling or otherwise transferring one.

Okay. I'd like to see the law that prohibits a person younger than 18 from possessing a firearm. It's legal for a child to hunt unaccompanied at age 9 in Texas.
Originally Posted by KMS

NO it does not.
Originally Posted by KMS

Horse hockey.
Originally Posted by KMS

I would like to see that...
LOL! I'm reading it strait from the Youth Handgun Safety Act provided from BATF. I'm required to have it posted in my office where I conduct my business. Believe what you want.
People purchase guns every day from me for their children, but for all intents and purposes it belongs to you until your child is of legal age to own it.
Granted the YHSA refers to handguns.

An example: My neighbor bought his 10yr old a shotgun. He was dove hunting in his back yard last year unsupervised. At 10, he doesn't understand that his shot travels beyond his target. He shot directly at my house several times. My point is, You can give you child a gift, but is it the possession of the 10yr old, or his father's? If he get's into trouble with it, who will the authorities look to?
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-i-53002-%E2%80%94-youth-handgun-safety-act-notice/download
Originally Posted by KMS

An example: My neighbor bought his 10yr old a shotgun. He was dove hunting in his back yard last year unsupervised. At 10, he doesn't understand that his shot travels beyond his target. He shot directly at my house several times. My point is, You can give you child a gift, but is it the possession of the 10yr old, or his father's? If he get's into trouble with it, who will the authorities look to?

Civilly, a parent is responsible for everything a "child" younger than 18 does. Technically speaking, of course.
Civilly, a parent is responsible for everything a "child" younger than 18 does. Technically speaking, of course.

How then, is a juvenile tried as an adult?
Originally Posted by watch4bear

How then, is a juvenile tried as an adult?

Tried for criminal charges?
Tried for criminal charges?

Yes, felony charges
Note ltppowell stated civilly.
gotcha
Criminal and civil liabilities are completely separate. A person is criminally liable in the State of Texas at age 17. Think OJ...criminally innocent, civilly liable.

Compulsory service at 18 started in 1942. Prior to that it was 21. In 1971 the argument was if you were old enough to be drafted you were old enough to vote, hence the 26th amendment.

I look at it like this. In generations past you were expected to act like a responsible man in your mid teens. You were still on "probation" under the control of your parents. Mommy and daddy held you accountable from a young age, but in your teens there was no tolerance for child like behavior. There was no tolerance to not controling your emotions.

This generation is encouraged to remain in a child like state for as long as they can. Young men in there late teens and early 20's still having temper tantrums. Oh, they may not be on the ground kicking, but it is a temper tantrum. They are taught not to control emotion, but to embrace and express it.

This doesn't apply to all, but sure enough to make the difference.

So I say no military service without parental permission, no buying firearms and no voting until 21.
So I say no military service without parental permission, no buying firearms and no voting until 21.

Poor ol Audie Murphy frown
Posted By: add Re: Legal age to OWN/BUY a firearm - 02/26/18
It should not be that hard, people.

A single, US national age that determines adulthood and all that goes with it...

Poor ol Audie Murphy frown

You can't really compare someone born 90 some odd years ago and raised in the traditional manner to someone born in 2000 and raised with the new way of parenting.

Watch4, I venture to bet your up bringing was much like mine. Had I done in school what kids do now I would have been snatched up and hauled to the office and caught the paddle. I wasn't worried about that, I feared when I got home and dad gave me the real azz beating. You, like me, were probably raised with responsibility and accountability. Yeah, we had chores and we best not make dad have to tell us to do them. You wanted something, best get your azz out and earn some money to get it. Mom and dad put food on your table, a roof over your head and clothes on your back and not much more. They weren't expected to and if they did it was a gift and you appreciated and valued it. Never did you feel entitled to it.

I bet that you, Watch4, never thought you were the center and the purpose of the universe.

Kids today, too many of them, never left the crib.
At what age does the constitution apply ???
Y
ou can't really compare someone born 90 some odd years ago and raised in the traditional manner to someone born in 2000 and raised with the new way of parenting.

So the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan aren't up to your expectations?
Ever heard about the age of reason?

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Age+of+Reason
Y
ou can't really compare someone born 90 some odd years ago and raised in the traditional manner to someone born in 2000 and raised with the new way of parenting.

So the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan aren't up to your expectations?
Ever heard about the age of reason?

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Age+of+Reason

I have, and if you want to infer on them all the benefits of adulthood I have no problem with that. But make sure it's all. Handguns and alcohol too. Total emancipation with military service.
Knowing right from wrong can even get you tried as an adult if your crime was heinous enough,
© 24hourcampfire