Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Back in the late '60s at both Ft. Knox, Ky and Ft. Polk, LA under 21 year old service members could only buy 3/2 beer on post.

At that same time though off post the legal drinking age in the state of Louisiana was18 years of age for all types of beverages containing alcohol regardless the proof.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by joken2

Ironic that a 18 year old can join any of our military branches, be required to learn and use all kinds of weapon systems and serve in combat areas all over the world risking life, limb and possible lifelong mental anguish but can't legally purchase a firearm from a FFL until they are 21 years old.

Back prior to 1971 18 year olds couldn't vote either but were old enough to be cannon fodder and were only allowed to buy 3/2 beer on post.

The irony of being drafted at 18, but not being able to vote or drink beer prompted passage of the 26th amendment in March 1971. The 26th amendment holds the record for the shortest time needed for ratification, which was 3 months and 8 days.

Back in 1791 when the 2nd amendment was ratified the age of majority was 21 in most states. Who thinks today's kids are more mature when it comes to things like firearms than they were back in 1791?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Voting age should be 27. Gun ownership 18. Drive a car 21. Alcohol at 21.

If enforced this would solve alot of issues.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As far as I know, there is no age restrictions to firearm ownership in Texas. Of course, Federal laws apply to purchase and State laws concerning LTC.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell
As far as I know, there is no age restrictions to firearm ownership in Texas. Of course, Federal laws apply to purchase and State laws concerning LTC.

Let's be clear, when talking about legally purchasing firearms, 18 to purchase long guns. 21 to purchase handguns or lower receivers.

Kelly
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KMS

Let's be clear, when talking about legally purchasing firearms, 18 to purchase long guns. 21 to purchase handguns or lower receivers.

Right, but I can legally give my 2yr old grandson a rifle for Christmas if I want to. Control of that child is the responsibility of his parents, not the State.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS

Right, but I can legally give my 2yr old grandson a rifle for Christmas if I want to. Control of that child is the responsibility of his parents, not the State.

Yes, but it belongs to you until he turns 18.

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal law prohibits any person under 18 from possessing a firearm, or from anyone giving, selling or otherwise transferring one.

Kelly
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KMS
Federal law prohibits any person under 18 from possessing a firearm, or from anyone giving, selling or otherwise transferring one.

Okay. I'd like to see the law that prohibits a person younger than 18 from possessing a firearm. It's legal for a child to hunt unaccompanied at age 9 in Texas.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by KMS

NO it does not.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KMS

Horse hockey.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KMS

I would like to see that...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL! I'm reading it strait from the Youth Handgun Safety Act provided from BATF. I'm required to have it posted in my office where I conduct my business. Believe what you want.

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People purchase guns every day from me for their children, but for all intents and purposes it belongs to you until your child is of legal age to own it.

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Granted the YHSA refers to handguns.

Kelly
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

An example: My neighbor bought his 10yr old a shotgun. He was dove hunting in his back yard last year unsupervised. At 10, he doesn't understand that his shot travels beyond his target. He shot directly at my house several times. My point is, You can give you child a gift, but is it the possession of the 10yr old, or his father's? If he get's into trouble with it, who will the authorities look to?

Kelly
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/atf-i-53002-%E2%80%94-youth-handgun-safety-act-notice/download

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KMS

An example: My neighbor bought his 10yr old a shotgun. He was dove hunting in his back yard last year unsupervised. At 10, he doesn't understand that his shot travels beyond his target. He shot directly at my house several times. My point is, You can give you child a gift, but is it the possession of the 10yr old, or his father's? If he get's into trouble with it, who will the authorities look to?

Civilly, a parent is responsible for everything a "child" younger than 18 does. Technically speaking, of course.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Civilly, a parent is responsible for everything a "child" younger than 18 does. Technically speaking, of course.

How then, is a juvenile tried as an adult?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by watch4bear

How then, is a juvenile tried as an adult?

Tried for criminal charges?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 34 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,980
Posts18,499,614
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.