Home
This is probably in the wrong forum, but I figure more people will see it.
I have hand-me-down kitchen knives. I think I spend more time sharpening them than I do using them. I do know that my wife and son treat them like utility knives, but they do not seem to be very quality. Anyone have recommendations? I wish that Benchmade still made kitchen knives.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Big money, but New West Knife Works.
http://www.wusthof.com/products/knives#/1
Dexter Russell and get the DR steel to touch them up. They sharpen easily and if you get the white handled ones they will last through about anything.

You can buy really nice stuff that will do wonders in a professional hand,but the DR series is the every day work horse knives of a lot of restaurants. That high dollar stuff usually requires more care than I like.
[Linked Image]
I'm sure there may be better but I have no complaints with these.

https://www.zwillingonline.com/cutlery-j-a--henckels-international.html
A good Santoku and Buck 102 Woodsmans are what I use.

I learned a long time ago, real chefs, outdoorsmen, and good cooks, don’t have a matching set of knives.

Tried to call the #

Its busy crazy crazy laugh
Had a restaurant in a previous life and I agree with Dexter Russel and the Victorinox for working knives. Have Henckel Zwilling Pro in my kitchen and I can attest they are absolute crap as far as holding an edge.
Go to knives forum, and grab a 'fire knifemaker to throw one together for ya.
Henckels twin line-Solingen steel

Tip- Don't let anyone else in the house use them.
I like carbon steel.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/japanese-knives.html
Originally Posted by 2sticks
I do know that my wife and son treat them like utility knives

Even an excellent knife will not stay sharp if the edge gets beat to death against hard objects
I have hand-me-down kitchen knives. I think I spend more time sharpening them than I do using them. I do know that my wife and son treat them like utility knives, but they do not seem to be very quality. Anyone have recommendations? I wish that Benchmade still made kitchen knives.

Not fancy or stainless but good quality steel that holds an edge and cuts at a price that can't be beat.

Old Hickory Knives
Zwilling and Wusthof are the two best brands available to normal people. They both are excellent quality and they both have sets and individual pieces so that you can buy whatever you like. The others, while some are very good, are not even close in quality.
The wife got suckered into a set from Cutco 11 years ago. While I was not happy at the time it really has been a great investment. They have a lifetime warranty and free sharpening. I’ve had them replace 3 or 4 under warranty since we got em and mailed them back for sharpening 2 or 3 times, heck the block even split about 3 years ago and they replaced that under warranty. Really can’t complain , they are great knives. Funny thing is once I realized she was getting them no matter what I wheeled and dealed with 5he guy and got the hunting knife for free which I have also had for 11 years and it’s been replaced once and sharpened several times.
If you don't mind putting up with carbon steel, Ontario makes a piece Old Hickory set of traditional knives that are on Amazon for less than $50.00. Most people don't want to bother with carbon steel. Friends of mine who butcher a lot of their own meat swear by Victorinox or Forschner.
Originally Posted by Cal H
If you don't mind putting up with carbon steel, Ontario makes a piece Old Hickory set of traditional knives that are on Amazon for less than $50.00. Most people don't want to bother with carbon steel. Friends of mine who butcher a lot of their own meat swear by Victorinox or Forschner.

Well, you just wasted your post for this year.
grin

I picked up a set of Chicago Cutlery Insignia 2 for $99 on black friday last year and have been really happy with them.
Another vote for Wusthof. Best kitchen knives we've had and worth the cost. Sharp and hold an edge, and they have great balance.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/miswst.html

David
Forschner/Victorinox
Another vote for Wusthof.
I use a combination of Dexter Russell and Victorinox for processing game, but my wife prefers her Wusthof for the kitchen. There are several different lines and we have the classic; they aren’t cheap but they hold an edge and balance well. I use a steel routinely to keep them in top condition.
I have the job of sharpening my wife's kitchen knives. She has some Wusthoff, Cuisinart, and various others. None of them hold a candle to the Kershaw 3/4 Ton folding knife she keeps in her drawer, when it comes to holding an edge. Her Victorinox comes in second best.

For practically all her kitchen knives, I have to hold the blade at 45 degrees to the sharpening surface to get any kind of edge. The harder steels do very well with a 25-30 degrees, and take a much sharper edge. One of the best is my Merle Seguine, which is made of 1095 tool steel.

The really good ones will take a shaving edge pretty easily. The standard kitchen stock, not so much.
Just buy some decent knives that wont keep the kids out of college.

Once you have done that.......get a better steel, or learn to use a steel better.
I swear...I have known some folks that would starve to death before they got all their knives ready to cut some Spam.
Lol
Tojiro DP series

These are high-performance knives, for not much money.
Blades are laminated VG-10 stainless steel. Wicked sharp, and good edge holding. Your wife and son will probably ruin them, but it will be fun, while they last.
I bought one of these about ten years ago and it’s a razor...it was on sale at the time, I think 70 bucks. Best knife I have, even compared to my Wustof’s. The wife and I have both about cut a finger off. I had a good reason for my accident...

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toaode18.html

Another vote for Wusthoff. Very high quality knives. Knowing I like the brand, my wife got me a Wusthoff filet knife a few years ago. (Ridiculously expensive, but she says I’m worth it.) Thinnest, most flexible blade I’ve ever seen on a knife and so sharp I’m almost afraid of it. I handle it very, very carefully.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Tried to call the #

Its busy crazy crazy laugh

Laugh, but the original still is a great slicing knife for $9! Nothing is better at slicing tomatoes or flank steak or that sort of thing. Offset serrated knife much like Cutco, really cuts. Original was made by a US company named KwickKut. You can still find them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Home...mp;sr=8-1&keywords=original+tv+knife

I'm telling you this is a great cheap knife to have in the kitchen. The handle is chinzy and after a couple hundred trips in the dishwasher it comes loose, but for $9 throw it away and get another. You never need to sharpen it. They have a lifetime warranty (on a $9 knife?) Online people write that they have sent it back and gotten a new one in the mail.
I have a couple of Victorinox that are pretty nice but I use my old carbon steel Green River and Old Hickory's the most.
On the cheap, this forged Mercer seems plenty good enough. Bought one for mom and liked it enough to get on for myself. Price fluctuates between about $30 to $50. German steel Taiwan made.

[Linked Image]
https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culin...R1CGV6?ref_=w_bl_hsx_s_ki_web_9974519011
Yes. Cutco
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Go to knives forum, and grab a 'fire knifemaker to throw one together for ya.

Uhm, no.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Yes. Cutco

Really?

Uhm, no.
Dunno current production is good or not, but the Dexter Russel fillet and bait knives I bought 30 years ago are going strong in the kitchen. Wife thought it crazy until she tried them. Instant convert. She's rough on them in every regard, they get to ride the stone about every 6-8 weeks.
Still use the dexter russel knives on the commercial boats when I can talk myself into going out. They are the standard on the water and have a few for the kitchen. I also have a cheap set of henkles from Costco that we got a bunch of years ago.

I like the henkles steel , but the handles are kind of small for my hands and I’m too cheap to buy a different set. I might pick up a santoku though. Out of all of them that’s my favorite.
This should really be in the optics forum, where the answer would be easy. The price of the knives that you purchase should exceed the price of your cooking appliances.
I like the Dexter icut Pro line. Good comfortable handles and tough blades that stay sharp. Katom supply had by far the best prices when I got them.
I use the blister pack crappers with the white tupperware handles you buy from Sam's club.

Throw them in the dish washer all the time.

Have yet to put a stone to them....ever.

Touch them with my steel and chippity chop all day.
I have had a set of Mundial knives in the kitchen for 25 years. The chef's knife and steel get used by me near enough to every day, the others not quite as often, and I have been perfectly happy with them. For dressing and butchering I have a couple of Victorinox "Fibrox" and a Wenger "Swibo", which again are excellent value. Another great buy, and very handy, are the little Victorinox vegetable knives.

FWIW I have a magnetic strip to hold some "second string" knives for my wife and kids to use. They don't do much cooking, but these are knives they can abuse without it bothering me.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This should really be in the optics forum, where the answer would be easy. The price of the knives that you purchase should exceed the price of your cooking appliances.

That's too funny 5 !

My cheap Chinese kitchen knives with black thermo set plastic handles are tough steel, take a nice edge and are easy enough to keep sharp.
I'm really impressed with the performance of many of the inexpensive Chinese stainless knife blades sold these days.
For 50 dollars or so, you can buy nice set of kitchen knives if you know what to look for.
Originally Posted by night_owl

That's too funny 5 !

My cheap Chinese kitchen knives with black thermo set plastic handles are tough steel, take a nice edge and are easy enough to keep sharp.
I'm really impressed with the performance of many of the inexpensive Chinese stainless knife blades sold these days.
For 50 dollars or so, you can buy nice set of kitchen knives if you know what to look for.

And take jobs away from American workers in the process.

That's a hell of a deal.
Shun is good.

Just beware of the ones with the Gold Ring on the objective end of the handle. Those suck.

Geno
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Another vote for Wusthof.
I use a combination of Dexter Russell and Victorinox for processing game, but my wife prefers her Wusthof for the kitchen. There are several different lines and we have the classic; they aren’t cheap but they hold an edge and balance well. I use a steel routinely to keep them in top condition.

Wusthof are my favorite for kitchen knives... it is more than how well they keep an edge. They are designed for specific purposes and the weights and blade flex and shapes all work the way they are supposed to.
What “good quality” knives are is entirely dependent on what kind of man you are and expect from them. If you expect them to stay sharp use after use, you probably don’t know what sharp means in the first place. Learn to sharpen freehand, learn to use a steel and when. In by learning, the sharper you keep your knives the faster they will get dull. Perception, you will understand what sharp is. Buy your knives, turn your wife on them and learn to sharpen and touch them up. grin
Cutco.
Buy once. Cry once.

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-kitchen-knives.890/
I have Wustof steak knives. Do what I need them to do.

For kitchen work, I have a pair of Masamoto knives from Japan that I've been generally very happy with. A Gyuto and a Petty knife.
Like rifles, fit matters. Handle different ones if you're able, and see what's comfortable to work with.

I keep finding that Victorinox offers a quantum leap up from the garbage knives, at a very reasonable price. They may not hold an edge forever, but they also take a fresh edge easily. Balance is great (for me) throughout their offerings. I love their li'l $5 paring knives - they're just handy as [intercourse].

Wustoff & Henckels are usually good bets, so long as you don't go with any "value" lines they've introduced. It kills me to see world-class mfgrs of ANY kind of product who stoop to putting their name on a [fecal material] product. If you see a Wustoff chef's knife for $40, run like hell - it aint the real thing.

I keep saying I'll try a Dexter Russell knife, but haven't gotten it done yet. There are too many favorable opinions about them (from people I actually trust) for them to totally suck. I just don't know how they'll work for me.

You can spend to the limits of your imagination, but only you can say if it's worth it.

Never put 'em in the dishwasher. Go ahead & get a knife block, but don't feel obliged to buy a knife for every slot in it. A 8" (or 10") chef's knife and a parer will go a lot farther than you think. I also prefer horizontal slots on a knife block, over vertical ones - it makes me think I'm not sawing wood with the edges I've worked so hard to maintain.

FC

I'd get a Chef, Boner, and Santoku. White handled Dexters.

https://www.katom.com/cat/chef-knives.html

Also green handled steels. A coarse and fine also by Dexter.

http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/butcher-steel/

Then buy a Rada sharpener:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rada-Cut...h-Hardened-Steel-Wheels-2-Pack/195265513

The Henckel knives are very good if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near your house.

Don't buy the sets though. Plan on spending $30-$50 a knife. They'll last you a lifetime.
Global Knives
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will be looking for knives this weekend.
Spyderco's kitchen line is really good also.

If you don't like sharpening knives or using steels a lot, their serrated blades are da' bomb.
I have a set of Henckels that I've been using for a dozen years. Augmented by a few Dexter Russell's and Victorinox.

A straight Victorinox boner see's lots of work.
Ken Onion Shuns
I have Henkels, wustoff, dexter russell, victornox, and cutco. My favorite chef knive is the 28 year old Henkel I prefer it for most kitchen duties. My Cutco hunting knives are great they are bullett proof especially the serrated one. The Wustoffs are good for general kitchen duty. Dexter Russells and victornox are good for the money and easy to sharpen and I prefer those for processing fish and game. I do have some bubba knives for filleting fish.
Not so sure about those quite yet.
I've got most of the knives mentioned. I think the old Victorinox knives hold an edge better than the newer ones. Most stainless knives today don't hold an edge as good as the Old Hickory carbon steel knives do for me at least.
Buy a Victorinox Fibrox block set for around $150

I have been using them since the 1970s when they were made still made under the Forschner brand( which Victorinox bought out)

Also ,bone up on your knife handling and sharpening knowlege and skills.

Too many people to stupid schit with their blades resulting in premature dulling.

They also have not a CLUE about maintaining an edge through honing (straightening )rather than an actual sharpening(recuting the edge)
Originally Posted by deflave
The Henckel knives are very good if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near your house.

Don't buy the sets though. Plan on spending $30-$50 a knife. They'll last you a lifetime.

I agree on not buying the sets. I started out with Chef and a paring knife in the Henckel professional line.
Next a bread knife then filled in from there. I use every knife in my block.

If kitchen knives are important to you, consider hand made Yu Kurosaki Japanese kitchen knives.

Originally Posted by FieldGrade

That's too funny 5 !

That's a hell of a deal.

I use Chinese crappers.

Whats a good American alternative?
Originally Posted by 16bore

Yep, Global makes superb knives for not a huge price. My main kitchen knife is their G-2 8" chef knife, cost around $90. Easy to sharpen very sharp, and holds an edge well.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

I agree on not buying the sets. I started out with Chef and a paring knife in the Henckel professional line.
Next a bread knife then filled in from there. I use every knife in my block.

I'm in Sevierville, Tn usually 3-4 times a year. Smoky Mountain Knife Works has misc individual pieces outside the sets. That's how I've gotten some mine. I just want the Henckel paring/peeling knives.
I don't need the Grinch's fancy fork for the roast beast or the michael myers pumpkin murderer.

I was sniffin around a Goodwill few yrs back, found a few wustoffs mixed with in within a barrel of 'school lunch' forks and knives. Gave .25cents apiece for them. 😄
No doubt some good ideas here. Tractor, pickup, chain saw, no matter the topic. " Buy what I did".
Originally Posted by wabigoon
No doubt some good ideas here. Tractor, pickup, chain saw, no matter the topic. " Buy what I did".

Yeah that always cracks me up. Someone that lives in a una-bomber shack in idaho talkin bout a $300 steak knife they got.

lol
Victorinox and a couple of good cutting boards.
Most kitchen knives are dulled by cutting on ceramic and stone plates.
The Dexters are great and the Victorinox get lots of good reviews.

You shouldn’t need more than a few swipes on a good steel. Stones and pull through sharpeners fugg up a heap of kitchen knives.
My favorite knives are Henckel and Wustof. Both hold an edge well.

Don't buy the Spanish made "cheap" models. They don't hold an edge as long.

The main thing about knives is to learn to sharpen properly, and then maintain the edge with a steel.

I finally broke down and bought the BEST whet stone I've ever owned.(at age 65)

It's diamond, and sharpens quickly. It cost over $50. but is well worth it.

Before that, I used a Japanese water stone, which worked well, but needed leveled too often, as it would hollow out quickly.

Virgil B.

Yes. I have three Shun Classic kitchen knives. A chef's knife, a santoku, and a unique paring/utility knife with a deep sharpened radius to better peel fruit and vegetables. I don't believe they are making that knife anymore. They are made from stainless damascus with dark wood handles that are shaped to fit the hand well. I really like them.
They are not cheap, but they don't break the bank either. I would guess my three knives cost me about $300 and probably a little less. I bought them at a kitchen supply on line store that is no longer in business but see these folks have them at fairly reasonable prices, too. They make sharpeners but will also sharpen your knives for you if you send them in once a year. Shun makes higher grades of knives, too, but they are mostly just a little flashier in appearance, not usefulness.

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun.htm
Originally Posted by wabigoon

When someone asks 'what brand xyz do you recommend', do you recommend something you have no fugging first hand knowledge/use, or do you recommend stuff that has worked well for you?

Sweet Jesus

Best post so far,other than mine when I recommended the white handled Dexter knives.
This really is a great every day set up. You don't want hard to care for expensive stuff for the wife and kids to ruin.

I would buy the DR stuff and one good chef knife to hide for when I felt like playing head chef. The Masamoto VG or Tojiro Japanese would be my choice for my one good knife on a budget.

Don't be fooled. You can buy knives that will take sharper edges than those I just suggested. The problem is that you have to have the knowledge to sharpen them that sharp,the knowledge how to make that level of sharpness useful,and the ability to keep them that sharp. That is too much work and care for anyone who isn't cutting sushi into decoration. A DR will slice tomato just as thin as you like and sit in a sink full of dirty water all night without complaint.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That's too funny 5 !

That's a hell of a deal.

I use Chinese crappers.

Whats a good American alternative?

Russel Green River knives. Good ol American made carbon steel that cut chit and don't cost a fortune.
I buy the blanks (about $8) and put my own handles on but you can find em with handles too.

[Linked Image]

Ontario Knife works' Old Hickory knives are good CS knives too. Canada at least pretends to be our friend.
The problem is that you have to have the knowledge to sharpen them that sharp,the knowledge how to make that level of sharpness useful,and the ability to keep them that sharp. That is too much work and care for anyone who isn't cutting sushi into decoration.
Not knowledge, a steel. I have one, I use it a couple times a year to true up the edge. Looking tells you what the geometry of the edge is and you sharpen accordingly, but like I said in my post, you can also send them in once a year and they will sharpen them for you. I haven't, but that resource exists. As for maintenance, when I use mine I put it under hot water from the faucet then put on drop of dish soap on the middle of the blade and use my fingers to wipe the blade down in one direction from the back of the blade to, and off, the edge. Then I run it under the hot water again, wipe with a kitchen towel and done. Simple and effective and takes less than 2 minutes. I do all my cutting on a cutting board, mostly on a small one that came with my sink, but never on plates or other hard surface that could dull it. A quality knife is a beautiful tool that I use most every day. Mine are well balanced, easily kept sharp to cut without force, and fit in my hands like and extension of them. Going cheap is fine too, if none of that is appealing. We all have different inclinations and none of them are wrong, but might be less desirable for some. When I realized how much money I had in hunting knives I use a time or two a year, I decided to try a reasonably priced quality kitchen knife I use every day and found that was an excellent decision for me.
Cutco.

Cry once.

I send mine in once a year for free sharpening. They replace em if you beat them up too bad.
I don't work in the kitchen that much, but when I do I use an Old Hickory boning knife made from high carbon steel,...probably 1095. I keep it sharp enough to shave and have it oiled and stored in a drawer in my bedside table.

I think I gave about $10 for it. After use, I wipe it off with some soapy water, dry it, touch it up with an Arkansas stone, then lightly oil it before putting it up.

It's a well ground piece of carbon steel with full tang through a riveted on hickory handle.

I picked it up at the hardware store before a trip to the ocean when I was expecting to catch some fish.

This one,.....nothing fancy.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Hickory-Boning-Knife/dp/B00AQ66XS6
Have good knives, but still one of my great frustrations. Cookie handles knives like they are saws. Rather than apply a bit downward pressure and pull a knife through with only the point touching, she will saw back a forth for the entire length of the blade across a pottery or steel surface. Also fine with using them as pry bars or screw drivers.

I do have a filleting knife, and it's clearly understood that no one visiting or in the house is allowed to even touch it.
As several have said, Old Hickory knives are GTG. I, too, have a number of other brand knives which I use from time to time, but OH is the one I use mostly. Most of them have come from yard sales for a mere 5-6 bucks. I think that a lot of the reason some think a knife wont stay sharp is because they don't know how to keep them that way, or how to sharpen them to begin with. A 10-12" steel is your best friend. Just my $0.02.

Jim
On the low end, you really can't beat US made Dexter Sani Safe. You'll find them in most restaurants in these parts and most filet stations at docks as well. Mid range goes to Cutco. When you buy Cutco, you are buying more than a US made knife. You are buying a service in the free forever sharpening and the free unconditional forever warranty as well. They don't play original owner or receipt games when you want warranty work done. They'll come to your house and sharpen your knives for you. This doesn't matter to many of you, but I swear to my swan, I can't sharpen a knife to save my ass. Here's something else to think about. You may be helping send a kid to college when you buy their product. Their business model primarily uses high school and college kids for sales.

My step son started doing it in between his junior and senior year in high school. He dove into it head first and did remarkably well. When he got to college they made him some kind of area manager. They gave him his own office where he hired his own team of sales people. He is a junior in college now and passed the million dollar sales mark doing this part time. He has destroyed company records and is consistently at or near the top. He'll get out of college not owing a penny as will many of the kids he hired.

If you take the Cutco knife, look at the grade of steel used and look at the price, no it is not worth it. When you throw in the best no BS warranty in the industry, it gains value. When you throw in the free sharpening forever, it adds value. If you care, it may help a kid willing to bust their ass go to college. To me that adds value. When I first saw the price, I recoiled a little. Now that I have owned the knives for nearly four years, they are represent some of the best purchases I have made. It is rare indeed to find a Cutco owner who is not thrilled.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't work in the kitchen that much, but when I do I use an Old Hickory boning knife made from high carbon steel,...probably 1095. I keep it sharp enough to shave and have it oiled and stored in a drawer in my bedside table.

I have the same knife but I don't keep it in the nightstand.

[Linked Image]

I think I gave about $10 for it. After use, I wipe it off with some soapy water, dry it, touch it up with an Arkansas stone, then lightly oil it before putting it up.

It's a well ground piece of carbon steel with full tang through a riveted on hickory handle.

I picked it up at the hardware store before a trip to the ocean when I was expecting to catch some fish.

This one,.....nothing fancy.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Hickory-Boning-Knife/dp/B00AQ66XS6

I bought that knife after seeing you post it up a couple of weeks ago. It's a good knife for the money.

It's not "sleep with it" good. But good nonetheless.

grin

[Linked Image]

It'll end up in the dishwasher if I don't put it away. My bedside table is a little 3 drawer outfit where I store some of my personal stuff. It's got an old wooden machinists chest on top of it that holds some more of my stuff.
I haunted second hand stores for years until I had 2-3 of everything OLD Hickory made as well as Truform+ Chitcagos. Jump on all RH Forcheners ,Victornox, Green River Russells and Dexter Russell kitchen knives. Old German brands with Solingen steel and some of the better made Japanese knives too. Don't think I ever gave more than $5 for one I really wanted. Simply amazing to me how many of these older QUALITY knives were disposed of because they were dull. Ah well the benefits of living in a disposable society. Know how to sharpen and maintain your knives they will last forever, well until some dickhead uses it. MB
Old carbon steel Sabatier knives are nice.

[Linked Image]

It'll end up in the dishwasher if I don't put it away. My bedside table is a little 3 drawer outfit where I store some of my personal stuff. It's got an old wooden machinists chest on top of it that holds some more of my stuff.

Oh.....I knew exactly why you hide it. I'm a widower so I don't have to hide my knives any more.
I'd much rather go back to hiding em if I could though.
Originally Posted by RickyD
The problem is that you have to have the knowledge to sharpen them that sharp,the knowledge how to make that level of sharpness useful,and the ability to keep them that sharp. That is too much work and care for anyone who isn't cutting sushi into decoration.
Not knowledge, a steel. I have one, I use it a couple times a year to true up the edge. Looking tells you what the geometry of the edge is and you sharpen accordingly, but like I said in my post, you can also send them in once a year and they will sharpen them for you. I haven't, but that resource exists. As for maintenance, when I use mine I put it under hot water from the faucet then put on drop of dish soap on the middle of the blade and use my fingers to wipe the blade down in one direction from the back of the blade to, and off, the edge. Then I run it under the hot water again, wipe with a kitchen towel and done. Simple and effective and takes less than 2 minutes. I do all my cutting on a cutting board, mostly on a small one that came with my sink, but never on plates or other hard surface that could dull it. A quality knife is a beautiful tool that I use most every day. Mine are well balanced, easily kept sharp to cut without force, and fit in my hands like and extension of them. Going cheap is fine too, if none of that is appealing. We all have different inclinations and none of them are wrong, but might be less desirable for some. When I realized how much money I had in hunting knives I use a time or two a year, I decided to try a reasonably priced quality kitchen knife I use every day and found that was an excellent decision for me.

Yea,the Shun knives like you mentioned are a good compromise and a steel will get them working fine. I was thinking more about the ultra thin,ultra hard Japanese steel knives where hardness often exceeds 62rc. For those a skilled hand on a good waterstone will be required if they are to reach their full potential,which can be amazing,if not actually practical. No doubt there are levels of sharpness,and the point I was trying to make is that a good working level of sharpness that would dazzle most home chiefs is easy to achieve without spending a mint.
I don't know, I'll have to wait and ask the only one around here that wears lipstick and a dress.
Shun
Another vote for Victorinox. Love mine, hold and edge, easy to sharpen, good price.
Cangshan knives...have some nice sets.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=cangshan+knives
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Have had a set of Wustof knives since 1983 when we married. Still use them every day. My wife cut the end of her little finger right off into the chicken fajitas Christmas of 2014 with one of them.
Originally Posted by duck911
Another vote for Victorinox. Love mine, hold and edge, easy to sharpen, good price.

It was interesting to see all the Victorinox knives at the docks in AK when I went there for my honeymoon. They are as pervasive there as Dexters are on the Gulf Coast.
https://northarmknives.com/product-category/kitchen-knives/?c=d115e58d09e2&v=7516fd43adaa
Little spendy but their knives are just excellent at the price point.

Looking to buy on the cheap I would vote on the Victorinox units.
K Sabatier. Inexpensive, high quality

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't know, I'll have to wait and ask the only one around here that wears lipstick and a dress.

Is Jeff Obama pm-ing you again?
It's got an old wooden machinists chest on top of it that holds some more of my stuff.

Gerstner chest?
yes
Originally Posted by SandBilly

+1
Learn to use a steel. Put your money into a good steel. Got to keep your edge straight. Use a steel before every use.
Several good knife makers mentioned above

There is a difference in quality and price between stamped knives and forged knives. Forged are expensive but exceptionally good. That statement applies regardless of maker.

Buy the best you can afford. Buy once, cry once
Eicker Messer

I purchased a few boxes of the Profi and Manager knives when I was roo shooting, whilst I was ordering I also purchased some kitchen knives for my wife, they are inexpensive and are of good quality whilst also being light and handy for a lady with small hands.
My wife is still using them and is not interested in any of the custom or high dollar knives I sourced for her.

Just order the knives from the factory and pay online...I found the company to be good to their word over the years I dealt with them.
A. G. Russell, anything they sell, for the value with the guarantee. Consider ceramic from Harbour Freight as disposable but good while they last. Most of the heavy knife users of my experience use a service and that may be a good way to start even for a homeowner not a restaurant owner. White hat chefs often have an assortment of bragging knives and properly so but use the service knives for most prep work.

A good knife block with a steel and Russell's ceramic and diamond sticks are a useful compromise between ease of use and results.

I use a couple hunting knives, Wayne Hendrix and A. G. Russell/Morseth in the kitchen. I've got chopping tools in the small hatchet sense and chopping tools in the dicing vegetables sense handy too.

I've got a lifetime accumulation of a full range of sharpening tools from a once pricey big black Arkansas and such with bases to a 4 grit set of big diamond "stones" with bases. Did I mention big? My experience has been that almost anything including something from Goodwill/Salvation Army will do when the edge is properly thinned and maintained. Magic Chef multiple diamond electric hones will save lot of time and effort thinning the edges on cheap knives. The best of today's knives really need skill and diamond hones but 1095 and Arkansas stones will do anything anybody can ask for in the kitchen.
© 24hourcampfire