-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have good knives, but still one of my great frustrations. Cookie handles knives like they are saws. Rather than apply a bit downward pressure and pull a knife through with only the point touching, she will saw back a forth for the entire length of the blade across a pottery or steel surface. Also fine with using them as pry bars or screw drivers.

I do have a filleting knife, and it's clearly understood that no one visiting or in the house is allowed to even touch it.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/05/18.

1Minute
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
As several have said, Old Hickory knives are GTG. I, too, have a number of other brand knives which I use from time to time, but OH is the one I use mostly. Most of them have come from yard sales for a mere 5-6 bucks. I think that a lot of the reason some think a knife wont stay sharp is because they don't know how to keep them that way, or how to sharpen them to begin with. A 10-12" steel is your best friend. Just my $0.02.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the low end, you really can't beat US made Dexter Sani Safe. You'll find them in most restaurants in these parts and most filet stations at docks as well. Mid range goes to Cutco. When you buy Cutco, you are buying more than a US made knife. You are buying a service in the free forever sharpening and the free unconditional forever warranty as well. They don't play original owner or receipt games when you want warranty work done. They'll come to your house and sharpen your knives for you. This doesn't matter to many of you, but I swear to my swan, I can't sharpen a knife to save my ass. Here's something else to think about. You may be helping send a kid to college when you buy their product. Their business model primarily uses high school and college kids for sales.

My step son started doing it in between his junior and senior year in high school. He dove into it head first and did remarkably well. When he got to college they made him some kind of area manager. They gave him his own office where he hired his own team of sales people. He is a junior in college now and passed the million dollar sales mark doing this part time. He has destroyed company records and is consistently at or near the top. He'll get out of college not owing a penny as will many of the kids he hired.

If you take the Cutco knife, look at the grade of steel used and look at the price, no it is not worth it. When you throw in the best no BS warranty in the industry, it gains value. When you throw in the free sharpening forever, it adds value. If you care, it may help a kid willing to bust their ass go to college. To me that adds value. When I first saw the price, I recoiled a little. Now that I have owned the knives for nearly four years, they are represent some of the best purchases I have made. It is rare indeed to find a Cutco owner who is not thrilled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by Bristoe
I don't work in the kitchen that much, but when I do I use an Old Hickory boning knife made from high carbon steel,...probably 1095. I keep it sharp enough to shave and have it oiled and stored in a drawer in my bedside table.

I have the same knife but I don't keep it in the nightstand.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't work in the kitchen that much, but when I do I use an Old Hickory boning knife made from high carbon steel,...probably 1095. I keep it sharp enough to shave and have it oiled and stored in a drawer in my bedside table.

I think I gave about $10 for it. After use, I wipe it off with some soapy water, dry it, touch it up with an Arkansas stone, then lightly oil it before putting it up.

It's a well ground piece of carbon steel with full tang through a riveted on hickory handle.

I picked it up at the hardware store before a trip to the ocean when I was expecting to catch some fish.

This one,.....nothing fancy.

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Hickory-Boning-Knife/dp/B00AQ66XS6

I bought that knife after seeing you post it up a couple of weeks ago. It's a good knife for the money.

It's not "sleep with it" good. But good nonetheless.

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

It'll end up in the dishwasher if I don't put it away. My bedside table is a little 3 drawer outfit where I store some of my personal stuff. It's got an old wooden machinists chest on top of it that holds some more of my stuff.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I haunted second hand stores for years until I had 2-3 of everything OLD Hickory made as well as Truform+ Chitcagos. Jump on all RH Forcheners ,Victornox, Green River Russells and Dexter Russell kitchen knives. Old German brands with Solingen steel and some of the better made Japanese knives too. Don't think I ever gave more than $5 for one I really wanted. Simply amazing to me how many of these older QUALITY knives were disposed of because they were dull. Ah well the benefits of living in a disposable society. Know how to sharpen and maintain your knives they will last forever, well until some dickhead uses it. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Old carbon steel Sabatier knives are nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

[Linked Image]

It'll end up in the dishwasher if I don't put it away. My bedside table is a little 3 drawer outfit where I store some of my personal stuff. It's got an old wooden machinists chest on top of it that holds some more of my stuff.

Oh.....I knew exactly why you hide it. I'm a widower so I don't have to hide my knives any more.
I'd much rather go back to hiding em if I could though.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
The problem is that you have to have the knowledge to sharpen them that sharp,the knowledge how to make that level of sharpness useful,and the ability to keep them that sharp. That is too much work and care for anyone who isn't cutting sushi into decoration.
Not knowledge, a steel. I have one, I use it a couple times a year to true up the edge. Looking tells you what the geometry of the edge is and you sharpen accordingly, but like I said in my post, you can also send them in once a year and they will sharpen them for you. I haven't, but that resource exists. As for maintenance, when I use mine I put it under hot water from the faucet then put on drop of dish soap on the middle of the blade and use my fingers to wipe the blade down in one direction from the back of the blade to, and off, the edge. Then I run it under the hot water again, wipe with a kitchen towel and done. Simple and effective and takes less than 2 minutes. I do all my cutting on a cutting board, mostly on a small one that came with my sink, but never on plates or other hard surface that could dull it. A quality knife is a beautiful tool that I use most every day. Mine are well balanced, easily kept sharp to cut without force, and fit in my hands like and extension of them. Going cheap is fine too, if none of that is appealing. We all have different inclinations and none of them are wrong, but might be less desirable for some. When I realized how much money I had in hunting knives I use a time or two a year, I decided to try a reasonably priced quality kitchen knife I use every day and found that was an excellent decision for me.

Yea,the Shun knives like you mentioned are a good compromise and a steel will get them working fine. I was thinking more about the ultra thin,ultra hard Japanese steel knives where hardness often exceeds 62rc. For those a skilled hand on a good waterstone will be required if they are to reach their full potential,which can be amazing,if not actually practical. No doubt there are levels of sharpness,and the point I was trying to make is that a good working level of sharpness that would dazzle most home chiefs is easy to achieve without spending a mint.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I don't know, I'll have to wait and ask the only one around here that wears lipstick and a dress.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Shun

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another vote for Victorinox. Love mine, hold and edge, easy to sharpen, good price.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Cangshan knives...have some nice sets.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=cangshan+knives

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Have had a set of Wustof knives since 1983 when we married. Still use them every day. My wife cut the end of her little finger right off into the chicken fajitas Christmas of 2014 with one of them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duck911
Another vote for Victorinox. Love mine, hold and edge, easy to sharpen, good price.

It was interesting to see all the Victorinox knives at the docks in AK when I went there for my honeymoon. They are as pervasive there as Dexters are on the Gulf Coast.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://northarmknives.com/product-category/kitchen-knives/?c=d115e58d09e2&v=7516fd43adaa
Little spendy but their knives are just excellent at the price point.

Looking to buy on the cheap I would vote on the Victorinox units.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
K Sabatier. Inexpensive, high quality

https://www.sabatier-shop.com/

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I don't know, I'll have to wait and ask the only one around here that wears lipstick and a dress.

Is Jeff Obama pm-ing you again?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's got an old wooden machinists chest on top of it that holds some more of my stuff.

Gerstner chest?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 53 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.