Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I use the blister pack crappers with the white tupperware handles you buy from Sam's club.

Throw them in the dish washer all the time.

Have yet to put a stone to them....ever.

Touch them with my steel and chippity chop all day.

I am MAGA.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have had a set of Mundial knives in the kitchen for 25 years. The chef's knife and steel get used by me near enough to every day, the others not quite as often, and I have been perfectly happy with them. For dressing and butchering I have a couple of Victorinox "Fibrox" and a Wenger "Swibo", which again are excellent value. Another great buy, and very handy, are the little Victorinox vegetable knives.

FWIW I have a magnetic strip to hold some "second string" knives for my wife and kids to use. They don't do much cooking, but these are knives they can abuse without it bothering me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
This should really be in the optics forum, where the answer would be easy. The price of the knives that you purchase should exceed the price of your cooking appliances.

That's too funny 5 !

My cheap Chinese kitchen knives with black thermo set plastic handles are tough steel, take a nice edge and are easy enough to keep sharp.
I'm really impressed with the performance of many of the inexpensive Chinese stainless knife blades sold these days.
For 50 dollars or so, you can buy nice set of kitchen knives if you know what to look for.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
This should really be in the optics forum, where the answer would be easy. The price of the knives that you purchase should exceed the price of your cooking appliances.

That's too funny 5 !

My cheap Chinese kitchen knives with black thermo set plastic handles are tough steel, take a nice edge and are easy enough to keep sharp.
I'm really impressed with the performance of many of the inexpensive Chinese stainless knife blades sold these days.
For 50 dollars or so, you can buy nice set of kitchen knives if you know what to look for.

And take jobs away from American workers in the process.

That's a hell of a deal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shun is good.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Just beware of the ones with the Gold Ring on the objective end of the handle. Those suck.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Another vote for Wusthof.
I use a combination of Dexter Russell and Victorinox for processing game, but my wife prefers her Wusthof for the kitchen. There are several different lines and we have the classic; they aren’t cheap but they hold an edge and balance well. I use a steel routinely to keep them in top condition.

Wusthof are my favorite for kitchen knives... it is more than how well they keep an edge. They are designed for specific purposes and the weights and blade flex and shapes all work the way they are supposed to.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What “good quality” knives are is entirely dependent on what kind of man you are and expect from them. If you expect them to stay sharp use after use, you probably don’t know what sharp means in the first place. Learn to sharpen freehand, learn to use a steel and when. In by learning, the sharper you keep your knives the faster they will get dull. Perception, you will understand what sharp is. Buy your knives, turn your wife on them and learn to sharpen and touch them up. grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cutco.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

If God can get by on 10%, why does the government need 90%
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have Wustof steak knives. Do what I need them to do.

For kitchen work, I have a pair of Masamoto knives from Japan that I've been generally very happy with. A Gyuto and a Petty knife.

Me

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Like rifles, fit matters. Handle different ones if you're able, and see what's comfortable to work with.

I keep finding that Victorinox offers a quantum leap up from the garbage knives, at a very reasonable price. They may not hold an edge forever, but they also take a fresh edge easily. Balance is great (for me) throughout their offerings. I love their li'l $5 paring knives - they're just handy as [intercourse].

Wustoff & Henckels are usually good bets, so long as you don't go with any "value" lines they've introduced. It kills me to see world-class mfgrs of ANY kind of product who stoop to putting their name on a [fecal material] product. If you see a Wustoff chef's knife for $40, run like hell - it aint the real thing.

I keep saying I'll try a Dexter Russell knife, but haven't gotten it done yet. There are too many favorable opinions about them (from people I actually trust) for them to totally suck. I just don't know how they'll work for me.

You can spend to the limits of your imagination, but only you can say if it's worth it.

Never put 'em in the dishwasher. Go ahead & get a knife block, but don't feel obliged to buy a knife for every slot in it. A 8" (or 10") chef's knife and a parer will go a lot farther than you think. I also prefer horizontal slots on a knife block, over vertical ones - it makes me think I'm not sawing wood with the edges I've worked so hard to maintain.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2sticks
This is probably in the wrong forum, but I figure more people will see it.
I have hand-me-down kitchen knives. I think I spend more time sharpening them than I do using them. I do know that my wife and son treat them like utility knives, but they do not seem to be very quality. Anyone have recommendations? I wish that Benchmade still made kitchen knives.
Thank you for any suggestions.

I'd get a Chef, Boner, and Santoku. White handled Dexters.

https://www.katom.com/cat/chef-knives.html

Also green handled steels. A coarse and fine also by Dexter.

http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/butcher-steel/

Then buy a Rada sharpener:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rada-Cut...h-Hardened-Steel-Wheels-2-Pack/195265513

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2sticks
This is probably in the wrong forum, but I figure more people will see it.
I have hand-me-down kitchen knives. I think I spend more time sharpening them than I do using them. I do know that my wife and son treat them like utility knives, but they do not seem to be very quality. Anyone have recommendations? I wish that Benchmade still made kitchen knives.
Thank you for any suggestions.

I'd get a Chef, Boner, and Santoku. White handled Dexters.

https://www.katom.com/cat/chef-knives.html

Also green handled steels. A coarse and fine also by Dexter.

http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/butcher-steel/

Then buy a Rada sharpener:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rada-Cut...h-Hardened-Steel-Wheels-2-Pack/195265513

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Henckel knives are very good if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond near your house.

Don't buy the sets though. Plan on spending $30-$50 a knife. They'll last you a lifetime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

2sticks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will be looking for knives this weekend.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Spyderco's kitchen line is really good also.

If you don't like sharpening knives or using steels a lot, their serrated blades are da' bomb.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have a set of Henckels that I've been using for a dozen years. Augmented by a few Dexter Russell's and Victorinox.

A straight Victorinox boner see's lots of work.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken Onion Shuns

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.