Home
Posted By: slumlord Worst stank you ever smelled? - 03/08/19
Let's hear it.

Chipmunks got in behind my freezer in the shop, chewed the wires to the compressor. Little bastards.

Didnt open that freezer for a few weeks. I had at least 2 deer and a mix other jeffery dahmer oddities. Had a gray fox road kill in there and about 3 sets of deer tarsals(they were double bagged) but.....

sick eek sick

Old oil drum been sitting outside collecting some rain water.

There was a touch of oil in there too.

The bad smell came from the 50 pounds of carrion beetles that had been decomposing in there.
Shew!!!

I recall a bucket of japanese bettles attached to a scent lure like that once.
Twin calves, unborn, dead a couple days.
I found ones head hanging out on Monday, the weekend guy was slacking I guess.
When we took the cow in the barn, and the vet used a cable to cut them up,

It smelled bad.
35 or so Afghans in a smallish room during an 1 1/2 hour PT session.

It was rainy season so PT was being done indoors and it was vomit inducing.
I had to pee a few days ago when I was in Clarksville TN, and I stopped at a service station just down the road from a Chinese buffet. That men's room smelled so bad it would have gagged a maggot. Some old fart must have eat Chinese, and then that service station was as far as he made it. I complained about the smell to the gal behind the counter, and she said some dude in an old green Ford truck was the guilty party.
An elk that had been gut shot two days earlier
Other notables:

Tub of nightcrawlers I forgot about in a playmate cooler.

Damn, damn, damn......

An eggfart this old bag English professor pooted out when I was getting her to sign a form for me. I was trapped in her office for 10 mins. šŸ˜©šŸ˜©
Firebase AACHEN II late 1968 early 1969 sometime in that range.
Got drunk, porked a fat girl once. Woke up, damn her pussy smelled bad. I think the smell was in my mustache too.
Squid. For bait. In the trunk of a rental car for somegtime. In Florida. During the summer.

Worse than dead bodies.
An old Farmer John tanker trailer I had to pick up at a Fruehauf yard and deliver to some ranch out in the desert, When I got there I noticed the valve was leaking (dripping) and wouldn't close off completely. Damn thing had been left sitting in the back of their yard for a couple years still half full of pig fat renderings. Got the top hatch opened and it liked to knocked me out, slid off the side of the trailer and wasn't about to get back up there to close it. Drove it with it opened. Good thing I didn't get into stop and go traffic.

Phil
Try cleaning out a 'grease pit' in an army mess hall sometime!!
Meh, I work around thousands of dead fish all fall every year. I am pretty tolerant to bad smells. About the worst I have ever smelled though is a dead whale, wooo weee.
my fridge/freezer quit while i was out of town working. probably gone for 2 weeks. I had a packaged antelope and deer in the freezer
the swelling opened the door, and it ran out of the kitchen floor
live flies, dead flies, maggots throughout the whole house.
i smelled it from the driveway when i got out of the truck at 5am,
tooks months to get back to normal !
I usually throw my deer carcasses in my dumpster here at work. Usually during hunting season it's cold enough that they don't get funky before the trash man comes on Wednesday. One year in early bow season, I shot a deer on Friday evening and it was a little warm out. I cut up the deer that night and brought the trash to work the next day. We started to have a real bad heat wave where it was up over 90* everyday. By Wednesday it was getting pretty ripe. I was walking out to the stone yard with a customer and when we walked past the dumpster, the smell about knocked us over. This guy comments and says, "Schit.......man, what the hell you got in there, a dead body or something?" I played dumb and said that I didn't know, but the trash man was coming today.
I had to tape up the freezer with duct tape and we hauled to a sinkhole back here on the farm. Shot it up full of holes and left it be.
Dead black bear...

Was bear hunting in New Brunswick, one of the hunters killed a huge blackie right at dark. Guide was a young kid, and wanted to wait till the morning to find the bear..

Well, he didn't get to gutting it til the next evening, even though they found the bear early in the morning..... don't ask me why, don't have a clue.

Anyway they brought the bear back to camp that night, and it was obvious that the bear had spoiled.

It took 5 guides, with towels over their face to skin it. They could only stand it for a couple of mins, then the next guy would take over.

You couldn't get within 40 yards down wind of the thing without gagging.

Bear was huge, 400 - 500lbs easily.

Needless to say, Hunter and the outfitter were furious.

Not sure if the hide was salvageable or not.
I found the body of a murdered girl here on my farm. She was pretty ripe, and I pray I'll never have to smell that again.
My son found a coconut washed up on the beach on north padre Island and decided to crack it open. No coconuts grow there, so no telling how long it had been bobbing around in the gulf. The nastiest, most foul smelling rotten coconut milk spewed out of that thing and got all over him just as we were packing up camp to leave the park. I'm sure the other campers didn't appreciate that for next couple of days, LOL
Dead cow me and my brother found when we were kids. He dared me to kick it's ol swelled up belly that was tight as a drum.
Stupid kid I was did it and it blew gut gravy all over me, hair, mouth. Good thing there was a creek near that I jumped in and puked my guts out.
Fun times...ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I usually throw my deer carcasses in my dumpster here at work. Usually during hunting season it's cold enough that they don't get funky before the trash man comes on Wednesday. One year in early bow season, I shot a deer on Friday evening and it was a little warm out. I cut up the deer that night and brought the trash to work the next day. We started to have a real bad heat wave where it was up over 90* everyday. By Wednesday it was getting pretty ripe. I was walking out to the stone yard with a customer and when we walked past the dumpster, the smell about knocked us over. This guy comments and says, "Schit.......man, what the hell you got in there, a dead body or something?" I played dumb and said that I didn't know, but the trash man was coming today.

Hahaha

I used to get my roofing materials from a yard here, I was in there couple times a week. That summer, I was hitting a stocked catfish pond in the afternoons. Next morning, I toss them catfish heads in their dumpster when I got materials for the next job.
I threw about 3 bags of fish heads in there over a week's time. Apparently that 'construction' dumpster wasnt on a regular schedule. It got so ripe, the same thing was said about as your guy. They didnt know I was the culprit. The just said GD, there must be a dead alley cat in that dumpster. I just smiled. It was rough. lol

Cant imagine the poor dumpster guy with all that garbage juice water pouring out on his windshield when he tipped it.

hahaha

Originally Posted by FishinHank
About the worst I have ever smelled though is a dead whale, wooo weee.

+1 on the dead whale

Left (forgot) a deer liver in a cooler one fall. Came back the next spring . . . .

Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Shoulda said: "that's what we do to customers that don't buy from us"!
had To make a sewer tie in years ago, opened the manhole. Dead body in the bottom, will never forget that smell or the sight of the poor woman in it.

We had to hire a New laborer to bust hole in brick for new sewer pipe. I couldnā€™t get any of the hands to get down in there.
Late August in inland So. Cal. Guy was 30 days dead of natural causes in a cab-over pickup camper. The FD popped the door in 103 heat and warm air rushed out!
Washington DC when congress is in session.
Not the worst smell I've smelled, but the all around most disgusting bad smell: lived in an old farm tenant house for a few years. No public water, no well, got runoff from a barn roof to a cistern. I didn't drink it, but I did shower and brush my teeth with it. Start noticing a funny smell when I was showering and brushing my teeth. It had been a dry summer so I knew the cistern must be getting low. Popped the top off it and it was almost empty, with a bloated dead rat floating in it.
When I was a kid we had laying hens. The stupid chickens would sometimes go rogue and lay a few eggs in a weird spot where you don't find them for months. Us kids threw a few of those old eggs against the outside of the barn, they were green slime when they broke open and splatted on the barn. Damn that was a stink.
I worked my way down to the belly button of a chick once and that's as far as I could go. Good Lord! Wash that damn thing!
I ran a service call on a animal crematory furnace. What they didnā€™t tell my dispatcher was that it quit halfway through a burn cycle. The fuggin thing was full of half burned dogs. I got the burner working and told my dispatcher that under no circumstance would I ever go back there. I had to shave my stache and beard to get away from the smell.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I worked my way down to the belly button of a chick once and that's as far as I could go. Good Lord! Wash that damn thing!

Skank stank
I have done some stupid stuff and smelled some bad over ripe smells, but the worst by far was stopping by a Democratic Party Caucus...
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I found the body of a murdered girl here on my farm. She was pretty ripe, and I pray I'll never have to smell that again.

A friend caught a body on his trolling gear off Kodiak, He had his 6-year-old with him. Said it was the worst experience of his life...
A friend of mine live trapped a skunk and he managed to get sprayed in the face trying to carry the cage with the skunk in it. lol, I bet that was terrible.

Yeah, that smell is about the worse for me.
Two days ago I walked in the building where I work and followed a homeless dude up the stairs that smelled as bad as anything I've ever smelled before. I could literally smell it on my clothes eight hours later. I can't even describe it, and I've been around a lot of people with piss poor hygiene, dead bodies, rotting carcasses, etc.
Dead seal came up in a net. Obviously bloated and rotting.

Dumbazz deck hand grabbed a gaff and ughhhhhhh......
Originally Posted by northern_dave
A friend of mine live trapped a skunk and he managed to get sprayed in the face trying to carry the cage with the skunk in it. lol, I bet that was terrible.

Got sprayed several times... it is not as horrible as it seems at the time. Running past the mouth of Ugak Bay with a west wind while National Geo was filming a dead whale up in the bay and all the bears climbing on it and rolling in it. It stank the boat up so badly that when we got back to the boat each evening we all started retching all over again!
Another ā€œfreezer quitā€
I have a freezer in the basement and a gym also.
Several days when I went to work out in the morning, I could smell an awful dead mouse
Couldnā€™t find the mouse
Finally opened the freezer door
All kinds of meat in it and the shrink wrap packs were al about to explode, some were leaking
And the rotting food was really warm
I have no idea how long the freezer had been dead
Closed it up and hauled to the dump

Interesting, my 91 yo mom has a freezer in her basement that she used when I was a kid, and she has used it continuously since.
Iā€™m 68 yo
Freezers are about the worst.
Reefer van behind a hospital in Karbala full of dead iraqi civilians . sick crazy
Looked like most got hit by airforce or artillery
ICM,s.
Yep I was dat guy wondering what was in it.

Became a side attraction sorta once word got out.
Schitt happens in war.... civilians die.

But then again most firefights seemed to draw iraqi civilians like a spectator sport. crazy crazy crazy

Dumb fuggs.........
Originally Posted by hanco
had To make a sewer tie in years ago, opened the manhole. Dead body in the bottom, will never forget that smell or the sight of the poor woman in it.

We had to hire a New laborer to bust hole in brick for new sewer pipe. I couldnā€™t get any of the hands to get down in there.

OK hanco, was it the stinky girl, or the dead body?
Buddy got cheated on by his wife. We knew the guy she strayed with and where he worked. So he took one of the Dungeness crabs we had caught that weekend, found the guys vehicle at his work, found it to be unlocked and stuffed a fresh crab up behind the heater core.

Fugger never knew what hit him a week or so later. I walked by the car at the dealership he took it to. There was technician's vomit on the concrete and on the passenger seat and floorboard from trying to figure out what was the issue. Worst thing I ever smelled.
laugh
First skunk I ever skinned knife cut into the sack next to the ahole and the thick yellow liquid that ran down the knifeblade onto my hand. 2 bucks for the hide and 40 for home remedies that don't kill the smell of skunk juice.
Posted By: EdM Re: Worst stank you ever smelled? - 03/08/19
The gallon or so of puss that was squirting out of a volleyball size abscess from the exit hole on a kudu I shot last year in Namibia. The local natives were gagging.
I had to pee a few days ago when I was in Clarksville TN, and I stopped at a service station just down the road from a Chinese buffet. That men's room smelled so bad it would have gagged a maggot. Some old fart must have eat Chinese, and then that service station was as far as he made it. I complained about the smell to the gal behind the counter, and she said some dude in an old green Ford truck was the guilty party.

Well, didja track him down and give him the what for?
Worst for me was two dead bodies in a mobile home around midAugust near the gulf coast. They had been dead for nearly two weeks. The first smell was bad enough, but when the MEs guys went to put them on a gurney, I HAD to leave.

There's just something wunderfull about working Homicide in south Texas in the summer..... UGH!

Jim
Originally Posted by haverluk
Buddy got cheated on by his wife. We knew the guy she strayed with and where he worked. So he took one of the Dungeness crabs we had caught that weekend, found the guys vehicle at his work, found it to be unlocked and stuffed a fresh crab up behind the heater core.

Fugger never knew what hit him a week or so later. I walked by the car at the dealership he took it to. There was technician's vomit on the concrete and on the passenger seat and floorboard from trying to figure out what was the issue. Worst thing I ever smelled.

That should work...
Has anyone been down wind of the Clinton Foundation headquarters?
Had a house sitter when I was gone for about a mo th on summer.

Freezer full of frozen halibut thawed when it was unplugged.

Nothing is worse than putrified fish protein.

Had to wear a dust mask w jelly smeared on it for cover scent.
Human bodies burning was my worst.

The close second was the bloated range bull carcass we poked with a stick as kids. Whoooooshhh and it deflated. sick
Originally Posted by haverluk

Some guys in my language class did something similar to this. They wrapped a big fresh caught fish in tinfoil and hid it in another language classes classroom.

North Carolina in the summer time about a week later you couldn't walk down near that end of the hall.
Russian hacker/ hackers that came up with this jewel need a round of cold ones on the house.

Newly leaked email from Hillary Clintonā€™s Campaign Manager John Podesta is titled ā€œHillary actions / unpleasant odor.ā€Ā 
ā€œPeople tell me that Hillary is acting ā€˜like a retardā€™ since her head injury,ā€ wrote Podesta on March 22, 2015. ā€œFrankly, considering her normal behavior, Iā€™m surprised anyone noticed! (this is a joke!) Have someone talk to her doctor and see if thereā€™s anything he can give her.ā€Ā 
ā€œAlso, Iā€™ve noticed sheā€™s had an ā€˜odorā€™ lately,ā€ he continued. ā€œIt reminds me of a combination of boiled cabbage, urine and farts. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s either connected to her fall or simply the fact that she rarely bathes.ā€Ā 
ā€œOutside of encouraging her to take a shower once in a while, I donā€™t know what to do about this. ā€” any suggestions would be appreciated.ā€

Originally Posted by renegade50
Russian hacker/ hackers that came up with jewel need a round of cold ones on the house.

Newly leaked email from Hillary Clintonā€™s Campaign Manager John Podesta is titled ā€œHillary actions / unpleasant odor.ā€Ā 
ā€œPeople tell me that Hillary is acting ā€˜like a retardā€™ since her head injury,ā€ wrote Podesta on March 22, 2015. ā€œFrankly, considering her normal behavior, Iā€™m surprised anyone noticed! (this is a joke!) Have someone talk to her doctor and see if thereā€™s anything he can give her.ā€Ā 
ā€œAlso, Iā€™ve noticed sheā€™s had an ā€˜odorā€™ lately,ā€ he continued. ā€œIt reminds me of a combination of boiled cabbage, urine and farts. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s either connected to her fall or simply the fact that she rarely bathes.ā€Ā 
ā€œOutside of encouraging her to take a shower once in a while, I donā€™t know what to do about this. ā€” any suggestions would be appreciated.ā€

And THAT was nearly our President. *shudder*
Originally Posted by smokepole

Well, didja track him down and give him the what for?

He's playing possum on me, trying to pretend he didn't read this.
Sure you weren't at Rural King?
Filthiest bathroom in clarksville. Looks like a Turd World set up. The urinal was just a hole in floor, rusty flange and cracked tile.
Decomposing people.

Interestingly enough the smell of old or new carcases do not bother me, but I find rank body odor truly offensive.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Interestingly enough the smell of old or new carcases do not bother me, but I find rank body odor truly offensive.

When I was an undergrad there was a student well known for terrible BO. You could tell which classroom he would be in by all of the other students waiting in the hallway until he chose his seat. Then they would enter and arrange themselves as far away from him as possible.
Meh, I work around thousands of dead fish all fall every year. I am pretty tolerant to bad smells. About the worst I have ever smelled though is a dead whale, wooo weee.

Dead whale is bad. During whaling season sometimes a whale dies and goes to the bottom. If they can't get to it, it's just lost. After it lays there a while it starts to rot and then floats to the top and drifts the way of the seas, which is usually toward the beech. It attracts polar bears from MILES. Seriously bad smell. Eskimos call them "stinkers" for a reason.

One time in Barrow somebody called the store I worked at and ask if we could deliver some 1/4" plywood. They were working in a big shop wearing tyvek suits because the odor would even attach itself to their clothes. They were working on their skin boats with Uguruk skins (bearded seals) and I came walking in with that sheet of plywood. I couldn't get out of there quick enough to keep from puking on the floor. Horrible stuff.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Sure you weren't at Rural King?
Filthiest bathroom in clarksville. Looks like a Turd World set up. The urinal was just a hole in floor, rusty flange and cracked tile.

I always make it a point to pee before I leave home if I'm going there. It used to me MY Rural King, but it's gotten so nasty, I've started going to one in Madisonville, KY.
I've loaded a few bodies in bags. Found a guy last May that hadn't been seen in over 2 weeks. He LOOKED worse than any I've ever seen, but the wind was just right and the smell wasn't as bad as I expected. And the Vicks vapor rub in the nose really works. It's not just something you see on TV. The one that I can still smell I pulled out of a river after 3 days.

Didn't your daddy teach you anything?
Finger test it while your kissing, sneak a sniff.

Dam,
Though everyone knew that!
Partially decayed burning bodies
That Vicks Vapor rub trick was something I learned in the Coast Guard. It works and I still use it now, having a mustache helps. Never, ever stand over a body that has been found floating face down for a few days. When you roll it over, and the air escaping from the lungs and stomach hits you in the nose, you've learned a lesson that won't have to be repeated. That's usually a job saved for the FNG.
Badly rotted humans. Two different occasions. Everything else is like honeysuckle after that.
When we were shrimping in SC we would head the shrimp on the way back to the landing and dump the heads in a dumpster near the ramp.
Rotting shrimp heads have a very special smell.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JSTUART

When I was an undergrad there was a student well known for terrible BO. You could tell which classroom he would be in by all of the other students waiting in the hallway until he chose his seat. Then they would enter and arrange themselves as far away from him as possible.
had the misfortune of sharing a gen chem, chem lab and a watershed hydrology class with a scumburger of similar description. The guy said he had several "strokes" and aparently that cause a person to smell like cat shƮt, cat urine, puke, and cigarettes. Always had dried ice cream and crumbs in his grizzly adams beard.

He was so putrid that some of the ladies in chemistry used to start dry-heaving when came in and sat down. I didnt buy the stroke bs, he was just a filthy govt leech. He had taken and failed that gen chem 5 previous times.

It got so bad in the hydrology class that I had to talk to the phD about. He said he was glad that a student had brought it up because he knew about but due sensitivity policies and whatnot, he couldnt act. Students affairs got and involved and the guy was bluntly told to take a fuggin bath and clean up his act.

He smelled about 50% less putrid for apprx 2 weeks. I think we got him to take one shower out that formal complaint.

So bout the typos, im headed down the interstate

There isn't much that smells worse than death, but at least you can usually get away from it.

I reported to NAS Jacksonville in the summer of '77. It didn't take me long to notice that there would be an awful smell in the air occasionally, and then I realized it always showed up on Friday nights. I asked someone who'd been around what the hell that foul odor was, and he told me there was a paper mill across the St. Johns River that was responsible for it. I remarked [unnecessarily] that it was a nauseating odor. The guy looked at me and said "you shoulda been around here in the old days before they started perfuming it." I'm pretty sure the look on my face was priceless.

I lived in an apartment in Fort Worth in the late 90s with two dogs (best ever!). There was a large vacant field across the road where I would take them several times a day to run a bit and take care of their business. One night---in fact, it was Memorial Day 1998, my two hoodlums cornered and CAUGHT a skunk out in that field. I bathed them in tomato juice and distilled white vinegar out on the balcony that night. Over the following weeks, I could smell skunk before I even opened the front door of the apartment when I'd come home from work. They still smelled like skunk when Labor Day came. Good thing skunk doesn't really bother me much.
I was the first on scene to a report of a parked car in a far off the road campsite with a hose from the exhaust into the trunk. When I rolled up to the site heā€™d been reported missing for 3 weeks! Couldnā€™t even see into the car there was so much stuff caked to the inside of the windows. While waiting for the Coroner, the evidence tech and I made our way around the car looking for any signs of foul play. When we hit the downwind side, we both looked at each other and almost lost our dinner! The sick part was once the Coroner arrived and opened the door, they didnā€™t even hesitate! Iā€™ve been to more than my share of dead body calls, but that was the worst smell Iā€™ve ever inhaled. I will never forget it and donā€™t want to ever experience it again!!!

Maybe Iā€™m a wuss, but I donā€™t care!

Elk Country
other then a 10-55 during hot weather, 20 lbs of salmon in a camper freezer that had been off 6 days in 85-100 degree temps. sold the camper........ cheap
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Didn't your daddy teach you anything?
Finger test it while your kissing, sneak a sniff.

Yup. Like an advance scouting mission.

Yep.

Dead humans in various stages of decomposition.

Nothing is worse.
I don't know if it was the worst, but it was one of them. The day before I was combining some oats over about a mile from my Uncle's house with the old John Deere combine. I was roading it home afterwards and saw his Angus Bull, feet-in-the-air-dead over in the adjacent pasture, several hundred yards from Uncle's house. I put up the combine and went home. Next day, I roaded the Case 930 over to put up Uncle's blade that I'd borrowed to blade the driveway to Dad's house. I was probably early twenties and this was probably 1982 or so. So I drop the blade off behind Uncle's defunct hog house in a lot where a bunch of equipment was. I smelled this awful stench. It even made me light-headed. I looked on the ground and there was this trail of black fluid. Didn't really look like blood. I followed it over a little ways in the lot and there was the bull, all bloated up. I have a very strong fluid but I was about sick. I went over and went to put the top arm of the three-point in its hanger which was spring steel and needed a pretty good push to get it in. I slammed my finger in it and it hurt like hell. I got on home and was about half sick from the pain and I guess, the stench. My fingernail went black and a few days later I had to heat a needle up and stick it in the nail to drain the black blood out. Fingernail peeled off after much pain and when it grew back didn't look right. It still looks effed up and reminds me of that day.

Later I told my Uncle about it and asked what killed his bull. He said he didn't know but it had been mutilated. No blood around it, just the weird fluid that didn't really look like blood. Stench that was worse than any dead animal. Surgical precision genital removal, tail removal and strip between the ears and ears removed. Neighbor said it was a Satanic cult. Weird how my Uncle and Aunt never heard anything even though their house wasn't far away.
Worst I've ever smelled was a stink bait I hung in a tree close to my bear baiting site. The bait itself was Hostess pastries (ding dongs, cupcakes, fruit pies, etc), but the stink bait was a 5 gallon bucket of carp, freezer burned meat, elk trimmings that didn't go into burger or sausage and stuff like that. It sat in that bucket with the lid on tight for almost 4 months out behind the garage. To hang it, I had to pry the lid off, pour the contents into a pillow case, tie the pillow case with wire, then tie on a rope that I slung up over an aspen branch and hoisted the pillow case up about 15 feet off the ground. Got some of that s#%t on my boots and ended up throwing them away. The bait site was in a saddle near the ridge top and the winds carried that stink north and south for miles. The smell was so bad, I doubt there were any hunters within 2 drainages of my site. Ended up killing a boar that went close to 500 pounds and had a skull that measured 20 3/16". At the time it was the #7 all time archery kill in Utah. The other stinkiest smell was a 23,000 plant marijuana grow on Forest Service property that my task force team discovered when I was working as a narcotics officer. When that stuff is green and growing, if it's high grade, it stinks to high heaven. Arrested 5 illegal Mexicans who were managing the grow site, then pulled and air lifted all 23,000 plants and had the Forest Service come in with their accelerants and torch the whole pile. That stuff burned for almost 2 days!!! Didn't set it afire until the wind was blowing up the canyon away from town or everyone would've been high.....
Moldy broccoli, the smell would truly knock the scabs off a buzzard's butt. Followed closely by the carcass of a Thanksgiving turkey that had become maggot infested, that was so nasty it was all I could do to keep from barfing.
I rode pens for a couple years in a feedlot in eastern CO many moons ago. Slicing open grapefruit sized abscesses were pretty nasty.

I lost a freezer with an antelope and a couple of turkeys in it once, that was bad juju too.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I don't know if it was the worst, but it was one of them. The day before I was combining some oats over about a mile from my Uncle's house with the old John Deere combine. I was roading it home afterwards and saw his Angus Bull, feet-in-the-air-dead over in the adjacent pasture, several hundred yards from Uncle's house. I put up the combine and went home. Next day, I roaded the Case 930 over to put up Uncle's blade that I'd borrowed to blade the driveway to Dad's house. I was probably early twenties and this was probably 1982 or so. So I drop the blade off behind Uncle's defunct hog house in a lot where a bunch of equipment was. I smelled this awful stench. It even made me light-headed. I looked on the ground and there was this trail of black fluid. Didn't really look like blood. I followed it over a little ways in the lot and there was the bull, all bloated up. I have a very strong fluid but I was about sick. I went over and went to put the top arm of the three-point in its hanger which was spring steel and needed a pretty good push to get it in. I slammed my finger in it and it hurt like hell. I got on home and was about half sick from the pain and I guess, the stench. My fingernail went black and a few days later I had to heat a needle up and stick it in the nail to drain the black blood out. Fingernail peeled off after much pain and when it grew back didn't look right. It still looks effed up and reminds me of that day.

Later I told my Uncle about it and asked what killed his bull. He said he didn't know but it had been mutilated. No blood around it, just the weird fluid that didn't really look like blood. Stench that was worse than any dead animal. Surgical precision genital removal, tail removal and strip between the ears and ears removed. Neighbor said it was a Satanic cult. Weird how my Uncle and Aunt never heard anything even though their house wasn't far away.

There was a bunch of cases of animal mutilation in the 70's.

I had several I remember in our local area in the west Texas area I grew up in.

Here's a couple of links.

https://vault.fbi.gov/Animal%20Mutilation

A bag of catfish heads locked in the cab of a crane over the weekend in July. Ain't a man alive who could have spent a Monday operating that damn crane.
Back in the 70's when I drove a garbage truck we used to have an animal hospital client. The head vet. there routinely put old, sick and injured dogs "to sleep" for people. They had the option of taking the carcass if they wanted to bury it someplace, or for an extra fee he would see to it that they were "properly disposed of". What those people didn't know was that he just put the dead dogs out back in large heavy gauge metal garbage cans with a lid that would be on firmly and be air tight. We only went there once a week and in the summer some of those dead animals could be "cooking" in those big, sealed, metal cans out in the sun for as long as a week. I would take a lungful of clean air and hold my breath while I took the lid off, dumped it into the hopper of the garbage truck and cycled the packer to get it packed in with the rest of the refuse as quickly as possible. If you unintentionally got a whiff of that it was enough to trigger vomiting. No problem in the dead of winter, though, as they were all frozen solid. Eventually we didn't see any more and I heard that veterinarian got caught for ripping off folks that were paying extra fees for the "proper handling" of their deceased pets. What they were paying extra for and what actually happened were two entirely different things.
I wouldn't say this was at the height of the mutilations, but around that time there seemed to be more than you hear about now. I don't know the last time I heard about one. I'm not an expert though.
Humpback whales breath when they blow. Get down wind and close to them when they blow for the ultimate bad breath.
Alligator bait (rotting chicken sitting in the sun for a few days.) Next, the blood/grease/etc. under an old commercial pit barbeque set directly on the slaughter block -- we put the new one up a bit on blocks. Last, the deer lease boneyard/graveyard where we dumped guts and skins during the season. (Good bushpig bait. cus hogs will eat anything.)
Originally Posted by hanco
Got drunk, porked a fat girl once. Woke up, damn her pussy smelled bad. I think the smell was in my mustache too.

We have the winner!!!!!! laugh laugh Peuuuuuuuuh grin

....almost lost my lunch just reading this thread a couple times.

But, once you list spoiling human whatever....i dont think anything else can come close. Unforgettable.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Let's hear it.

Chipmunks got in behind my freezer in the shop, chewed the wires to the compressor. Little bastards.

Didnt open that freezer for a few weeks. I had at least 2 deer and a mix other jeffery dahmer oddities. Had a gray fox road kill in there and about 3 sets of deer tarsals(they were double bagged) but.....

sick eek sick

Thatā€™s happened to me as well. A well rotted human body leaves an impression too.
Other than dead humans, the worst smell I've come across is huge abscess in cattle.

Had to lance several that were the size of a soccer ball. When they erupt with chunks of solid gunk, puss and blood, it'll send you running for fresh air PDQ. sick

Calves that have died inside the cow, but have to be removed are no walk in the park either... They usually come out in decomposed pieces.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Other than dead humans, the worst smell I've come across is huge abscess in cattle.

Had to lance several that were the size of a soccer ball. When they erupt with chunks of solid gunk, puss and blood, it'll send you running for fresh air PDQ. sick

Calves that have died inside the cow, but have to be removed are no walk in the park either... They usually come out in decomposed pieces.

I have the record at my vet clinic. About a year ago a client brought in a mature bull with a "swollen shoulder and brisket"

Abscess, right at 11 gallons of cream with a few chunks drained from it. With just a little blood added, It looked like tapioca pudding with a strawberry sauce garnish
One of my buddies use to raise mink. I made the mistake of walking into the skinning shed during harvest. It was like being hit in the face. I didn't puke but I did cry.

When I was a kid I worked for an old Quaker who kept dairy calves. Cleaning out the pen, by hand, with a pitchfork released some of the foulest scents imaginable. I did puke with that one.
25+ freshly ventilated skunks in the tractor bucket.

#2 would be the gut truck that rear ended another truck sloshing said contents over the cab of the truck. Thick blood, chicken intestines, lips and beaks. They limed the heck out of the ditches but it stunk for months.
Pulling dead calves rates right up there. So does mink crap. Baby diapers can be pretty bad, probably because you're up close and personal to the source.

We had neighbors that raised mink, their farm was on one hilltop and we were on the next. Hauling hay through the valley between us on warm humid summer evenings as the air settled was enough to rip your eyeballs out. I remember they cleaned the barns once and spread manure on a field just after making second cut alfalfa grass. Damn cows wouldn't eat the 3rd cut hay from that field.

Dale
Worst smells I can remember.

1. In the Civil Air Patrol, we hunted for a plane crash for about 3 weeks in the Sacramento Mtns.. When we found it, the bodies were more than ripe.
2. A friend of mine in college got a job driving a rendering truck. He asked me to help one weekend. We drove out to a ranch and winched up 3 dead cows to take back to the rendering plant. All three of these cows could have been a stand in for the "touch a dead cow" scene in the movie Summer of 42. If we hadn't been desperate for money, No Way!!
3. I was barreling down a west Texas ranch road and topped a little hill, to find a congress of vultures just on the other side. They lifted off the road, but one lowered it's head and puked right on my windshield and into the fresh air vent. I will take dead bodies and rotted cows everyday before I will willing smell vulture puke again.

There was a dead whale (rotten,white goo) and as we circled to get a pic we got downwind and the stench burnt our eyes and nose, bye far worst ever!!
Puke gets to me. Poop does too. both just at times.

We've had freezers go out before. Not nice, not so bad. Though the last one we loaded on the tractor and just drove it to the pile. Even with bobcats and such in it, including a 16 inch spike I shot a few years back that I wanted the skull of. Didn't want it that bad though.

The worst by far was one of our frequent flyer EMS calls, had her on Tuesday, trouble breathing. Ok. Got her loaded up, EMS hauled her off. Next Tuesday( summer) we get a phone call, not a page, to come help the funeral home. It was beyond horrible, purple, fluids and blood all over the floor, bloated, popped when we were putting her in the body bag. I had to go out and put paper towels in my nostrils cause chief said we didn't need SCBA.... I'll never again touch one without SCBA on for all the smells and germs etc....
I came across a dead eel that was in one of the intakes at Indian Point Power plant in N.Y.,that was pretty ripe.worked with a guy,"big ed the boogeyman man",he smelled like a garbage truck in summer.
2 that were equally bad... A burned body, and a decomposing body that had been laying outside in the sun for 10-12 days, according to the coroner.
I don't even want to review it. ;-{>8
Posted By: las Re: Worst stank you ever smelled? - 03/09/19
Originally Posted by northern_dave

It wears off after awhile, tho I never got a direct hit. It ended my racoon trapping days. Score was 5 skunks, no coons. I was so looking forward to a Davy Crockett hat. A few years afterward I decided a skunk-skin hat would have been even cooler, had I thought of it.

In the face would be bad. Might even blinding if in the eyes.
the big nasty boar i shot earlier today
it was 1992. I was 9 years old. My dad was an outfitter here in WY at the time. Most of his clients would come in, kill an elk or deer, ship the head back home and leave the meat with us. As a result we had a gigantic chest freezer out in the mud room FULL of elk and deer meat. It was early July, we'd gone out of town for a week, temps were in the low 80's. Upon our return home dad tasks me with retrieving a package of elk steaks or a roast. I don't recall which. As I'd done many times before I ripped the door to the chest freezer open like I was in the gym trying to set the record for the clean and jerk.. The freezer had died while we were gone. And built up a great deal of noxious gas from the decomp playing out from inside the freezer. It hit me like a Mike Tyson upper cut to the jaw. I instantly projectile vomited akin to the exorcism of Emily Rose and fell into a pile on the floor. I remember crying like I'd had my birthday taken away. Dad came in to see what the commotion was about and had the exact same reaction, minus the crying in the fetal position. He managed to get the freezer door shut. As I recall we drug the freezer out of that room with a tractor and a tow strap, and dug a DEEP hole in the north forty and cast the freezer in there and buried it. I'll never, as long as I live forget that smell.
You want to know a bad one?

Pumping out the blood tank on the kill floor.

Fugging awful!

Some guy would go spread it on his fields.
One of my uncles went on a two day trip and while he was gone a pet turtle died, when him and my aunt walked into the house the smell about floored them. It was a small turtle also, one could only imagine what a large snapper would smell like
Found grand mother dead in her house 45 years ago. She had been dead a week. That sight and smell stays with you forever. I didnā€™t sleep for a week.
100 degree weather for a couple days. Cat dead behind wiper motor on Buick Rendezvous.
Hair was slipping. Bloated.
Lady said she called a friend to get it out.
I told her he better be very careful.

Her kid came down and said they thought a mouse had died in the vent, I found the cat.

Lived 2 houses down. Bud and I working on Jeeps when kid asked for help.

Their "uncle" showed up and 2 hoiuses down we caught the wave. Yup, he popped it.
The gal and mom screaming, uncle whateverthefook his name was, was puking in the alley, trying to run away.

Wait til you pop a stoma bag in the dumpster of a medical facility. When I was dumping garbage from a dumpster at a medical facility, I saw a plastic bag with the label ā€œStoma bagā€ what they didnā€™t tell you was not to bust it. I ran the blade of the packer back and squished the bag between the packer blade and the hopper of the garbage truck.

The smell was so bad, you couldnā€™t even smell it before the gag reflex hit you and you were puking your guts out. Sewage, gut piles and rotten flesh is perfume compared to the odor of a freshly popped stoma bag...
Posted By: DMc Re: Worst stank you ever smelled? - 03/09/19
Nothing worse than a rotting field of cabbage..
I've smelled a lot of nasty stuff, but the one that I always think of happened in high school. One of my not so smart classmates thought it would be funny to put a quart or two of chocolate milk and a big bunch of earthworms in a container, then let it sit in his locker all school year. With about 3 weeks to go he heaved it down the hallway and it sprayed all over the floor, lockers, walls, etc.. That whole half of the school had to be evacuated with kids puking all over. It took a long time for that smell to finally disappear.
Renegade50 is holding back. He helped me out one time when I was up shƮt creek.

He cleaned out my rental property of the previous tenant's belongings. She died and melted into the couch. Said the FireDept had to scoop her up with a fuggin snow shovel. Ren hauled that couch off for me in his Scooby Doo van. Had to hold his head out the window like Ace Ventura. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I couldnt stop laughing when he told me. Dude is just dead pan cold explaining this shƮt to me bout her still clutching an expired cigarette butt, all while i'm laid up after a surgery.

I really shouldnt laugh at the situation, but the ole goose had had more heart attacks than Larry King.
Originally Posted by Lennie
Humpback whales breath when they blow. Get down wind and close to them when they blow for the ultimate bad breath.

Oh yeah!
To All,

The smell of a dead skunk that got into our camp's house years ago & died sometime in the preceding month may not be the worst stink on Earth but it'll do til the worst stink comes along. = Before he died he sprayed the cabin really well too.

It was months until that awful smell went away.

yours, tex
Not that bad, not me, but I LMAO.

Doing physical therapy, I hear this twenty something therapist talking to another.
Just out of school, he lived with his parents yet, and they still held him to
pretty tight standards.

Anyway, he had a hot date planned at his grandmother's cabin in the woods.
Had bought wine, going to cook a nice dinner......romance!

Dropping off his supplies on Wednesday, he saw a skunk. Out comes the 22, he shot it.
If ran under the cabin, died, and pissed itself empty.

He was asking everyone, "how do I get rid of the smell"?
Busting a gut, i ask if he could get to the skunk.
"No"

Now I'm in pain,

"You ain't gittin' rid of the smell, its only gonna' get worse".
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Wait til you pop a stoma bag in the dumpster of a medical facility. When I was dumping garbage from a dumpster at a medical facility, I saw a plastic bag with the label ā€œStoma bagā€ what they didnā€™t tell you was not to bust it. I ran the blade of the packer back and squished the bag between the packer blade and the hopper of the garbage truck.

The smell was so bad, you couldnā€™t even smell it before the gag reflex hit you and you were puking your guts out. Sewage, gut piles and rotten flesh is perfume compared to the odor of a freshly popped stoma bag...

When we were young boys, we would cruise the neighborhood alleys for coke bottles we could turn in for money. (I think the folks were leaving the bottle for the trash guys as sort of a tip, or courtesy, but we were broke little turds, and wanted candy and BB's we could buy with the money.) wink

One such summer day a dog had tipped over a trash can, and there were a couple of those grunt bags laying there in the ground. We'd never seen anything like that. and wondered what it was... Not sure who had the bright idea to jump on them as they laid there in that alley, but it wasn't such a great idea... It popped and we got it on either our shoes or jeans, or both.

Run! sick

Then we all got whippin's because we ruined our jeans and shoes. grin Our mothers called each other wanting to know what we'd found that was so nasty...

It finally dawned on them what kind of bag that was, and what was in it... I don't know about my buddy's, but when my mom found out what kind of bag that was, I got another whuppin'! cry
I shot a skunk in the yard about a month ago. I moved it 400 yards into the field and could still smell it.

What power. Nothing compares.
I weedeated a ripe diaper in the tall grass next to the mailbox. Tasted worse than it smelled though.
Used to be a local company that had the contract with the county to pick up dead farm animals. You did not want to follow behind that truck on a hot day. I have seen the drivers stop at a store, get a sandwich, and then set there in that truck eating. They either didn't have a sense of smell, or else they had some kind of odor preventive that made it bearable.
One that comes to mind is a group of porta-johns beside the MOUT village /town at Ft. Bragg in the summer of 1985. Better to take an etool and some TP and find a place in the piney woods.
I would agree that rotting human tissue is the worst. My first one was the old cranky neighbor that finally someone felt they were missing after a week of not seeing them.
My second one was in med school, had a old crazy guy get gangrene in his crotch. They had to put him in the isolation room just for the smell. It took a 8 hour surgery to clean things up, he lost his scrotum, but got to keep his testicles they just tucked them up somewhere. We would smear the inside of the surgical masks with toothpaste, to drown out the smell.
In my teens . . .

A couple friends I was fishing with caught a couple dozen frogs as we were packing up our gear.
I had a plastic pail & lid in my trunk for the frogs, and when we got home and unloaded our stuff
the pail had tipped over and all the frogs had disappeared in deep recesses between the trunk
and fender wells. It was a summer hot spell and I figured they would just dry up and
become some kind of inert unseen material.

A couple weeks went by as I only rode my motorcycle and I forgot all about the frogs.
On a Friday evening and the continuing hot spell - I had a date and ran to my parked car
which had sat had sat locked-up since the fishing trip.

In a practiced maneuver I'd run to my car, key in hand, open door, jump into front seat,
close door, put key in ignition, start car, shift to drive, squeal tires, and roll down side window.
All in about a fraction of 1 second.

I don't think I hardly turned the ignition key before I felt trapped and was choking and started to panic.
As the door opened I did a diving forward roll out into the street. Gacking and delirious.
I didn't think anything could possibly smell that bad.
© 24hourcampfire