Home
Posted By: SHW Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/20/13
I want to buy a stainless Delta Elite 10MM to replace one that I sold years ago. I was wondering if the new production guns are considered better than the older models. Thanks
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
IMO, the current Colts are the best they have ever built.

MM
Posted By: mudstud Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
IMO, the current Colts are the best they have ever built.

MM

Agreed. I am just waiting for Colt to build a Delta with XSE features. Then I will have a new Delta. I also need a new Defender. Another CQBP. And on and on.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
Fantastic Gun.

Install a EGW square bottom firing pin stop.

Get rid of the Colt dual spring and put in a Wilson combat full length guild rod with 22 or 23 # recoil spring.

Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
Originally Posted by Gibby
Fantastic Gun.

Install a EGW square bottom firing pin stop.

Get rid of the Colt dual spring and put in a Wilson combat full length guild rod with 22 or 23 # recoil spring.

Always wanted a DE, too.

But I gotta ask what's maybe an uninformed question.......

Why wouldn't a $1200 gun come from the factory with the right pin stop, guide rod and springs ??
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13

It does
Posted By: rkamp Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13

No question, new production all the way.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
Mine is a new production and bone stock other than N/S's.

It's been dead nuts reliable and shoots very well.

Travis
Posted By: SHW Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
New one it is.
Thanks for the info Gentlemen.
Posted By: safariman Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/21/13
Yep, my older one took LOTS of work to make it 'right' and even after all of that my fairly new RIA Tactical 10 is easily its equal and probably the equal of a new Colt 10mm. Pretty amazing value on those, but if I had the bucks and could find one, a new Colt DE could have a very long happy life on my right hip as well.

Grand choice of a 1911 10mm as an all around do everything handgun. Mine just went hiking all around the deer ranch, ATV riding, out to dinner with the wifey last night to a nice restraunt, goes to church regularly, and is with me nearly 24/7/365 otherwise. Not much it wont do that can be done or at least should be attempted with a handgun that a good 10mm wont do well, IMO.

Buy yourself a pound or three of AA#9 when you buy your pistol if you can find some.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/22/13
You are trying to make a gun Designed by JB for 18K pressures work with 37k pressures, which it does do. The square bottom firing pin stop will delay and hold the barrel/slide lockup longer. Stays in battery longer. It is a well known "trick" in 10mm and 460 Rowland circles.

The stock dual spring set up uses a SS shim that will not last long. Using a full length guide rod with the correct spring rate will allow you to use a fiber bushing. That will help on frame battering without using heavy springs. Change the fiber bushing after 1000 rounds, after every 500 rounds if you carry for protection.

Both modifications are popular and common in 10mm circles using 1911s as platforms in the 10mm. Not just the Delta.

It makes your $1200.00 gun last longer.

Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/23/13
I can understand the heavy spring in the DE, but I would never recommend a full length guide rod. They bring nothing to the table, and they complicate takedown.

I'm not a fan of the dual spring setup at all.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/23/13
The full length guide rod is a hot topic. I like them with heavy springs. They are easier for me to keep the heavy spring in line when I install them. The colt guide rod that come with the new Delta is plastic. That needs replaced IMO.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13
Yeah, I don't like the plastic guide rid, but I would go with the standard GI style guide rod. But If the FL floats your boat, go for it. If you can get it apart well, then that's the only liability they have. They don't improve function at all, but they certainly don't hurt it.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13
Yeah,the FLGR just makes it easier with heavy springs. I have been using them so long I am used to them during disassemble/Assembly. Does not bother me any more.

What I think is funny is some people spend over $100.00 for a tungsten FLGR to gain 1oz in the front. It's all perception and marketing I guess. To each his own!

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13
New Deltas are a sweet thing. Wish they'd do a Wiley Clapp version with a stainless Series 70 frame, Bomar rear sight, checkered frame and a tritium front sight. Aww heck, supported barrel, while they're at it. grin

Yes to a single 22# spring, but no to FLGR.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13
I'm so confused about whether I should use a long rod or a short rod.

Travis
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13
aalf sent me his big rod. But I just don't know if it's the right choice.

Travis
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis
I've only got a long one, so it's an easy choice for me. No confusion here.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/24/13

Travis
Kevin Gibson says he doesn't like a long rod.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/25/13

Travis

According to how deep the hole is...............

No need for confusion my son.

MM
Travis definitely needs the biggest rod around.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/25/13
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Travis definitely needs the biggest rod around.

How the [bleep] would you know? The closest thing you can find to a Colt, is a [bleep] Ruger.

Travis

Travis

According to how deep the hole is...............

No need for confusion my son.

MM

Should I use aalf's huge rod?

Travis
Posted By: aalf Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/25/13
Not sure how to answer that....... grin

I run 'em in everything, and I don't see a/the downside.

As far as take down, what's the big deal?
Originally Posted by aalf

As far as take down, what's the big deal?

I really don't like them & don't think they really bring any benefit to the party, but if'n you're gonna use 'em, it's way easier on the fingers for take-down if you take some scotchbrite pad & really round & smooth up the edges of the hole in the plug.

MM
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/25/13
I'll stay with the 1911 in .45 Auto.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/25/13
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'll stay with the 1911 in .45 Auto.
Yep. The .45 is just perfect in the 1911. I like my Supers too. I think the new Delta's are much improved over the one I had back about 1989 but I'd still rather have a 1006 for that cartridge.
The 40's is the new 45's.

Travis
I like the 40 alright & think it's a nice round & wouldn't object to having one in a 1911; not gonna replace my 45's though.

Absolutely no use whatsoever for the 10mm in a 1911 platform though.

MM
Don't be hatin'...

But in all the sincerity I can muster, an M&P in a .40 SW is quickly becoming the greatest sidearm ever built.

I'm not gonna say it yet, but in case I do, I said it first.

GFY.

Travis
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
Whoa, easy there Big Fella.........I didn't deserve that GFY. laugh

I might be racist, but I ain't no hater!!!

I ain't bitin' on the M&P either; only one of them is the house is my wife's 9mm & I like it OK, but honestly, my hand fits Glock's profile better that it does the M&P so don't think I'll make that switcheroo.

So, in the larger scheme of things, your hand must be a bit [bleep] up........prolly too much, well, you know........

Anyway GFY or whatever else spins your prop.

MM
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
We all deserve a GFY. Everybody. Nobody is special, or exempt.

I love Glocks. But the grip angle is juuust a bit outside of what an Amuurican would build. But you can't make Euro-Trash not Euro-Trash so I take them for what they are.

[bleep] M&P is a machine thus far. Time will tell.

Travis
I also like the take-down of the Glock better too & the massive array of aftermarket parts available........just did triggers on 4 of 'em.

Maybe the M&P will have similar availability of parts at competitive prices in the not-too-distant future.

Is yours a 40?

MM
Posted By: aalf Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
Since I'm out of the 10 biz now, I'm having a renewed interest again in my 38 Super.

Today's one of the few days I actually did a little load work over the chrony. Ran the 124 JHP's to a tish over 1400....wowzer.

Gonna settle on 8 grains of HS-6 with said bullet right at 1300 even. Even running that GD full length guide rod, with a shock buff no less.... grin
I also like the take-down of the Glock better too & the massive array of aftermarket parts available........just did triggers on 4 of 'em.

Maybe the M&P will have similar availability of parts at competitive prices in the not-too-distant future.

Is yours a 40?

MM

I agree on the takedown. Who is the moron @ S&W that agreed to that Ruger-esque takedown design? [bleep] that schit.

But at least the grip angle is made for normal people. Well on its way to being the best combat pistol EVAH!

Travis
Originally Posted by aalf
Since I'm out of the 10 biz now, I'm having a renewed interest again in my 38 Super.

Today's one of the few days I actually did a little load work over the chrony. Ran the 124 JHP's to a tish over 1400....wowzer.

Gonna settle on 8 grains of HS-6 with said bullet right at 1300 even. Even running that GD full length guide rod, with a shock buff no less.... grin

No [bleep] way a .38 Super could kill me. Not a chance.

Just hit bottom on the last Bent Nail and I gots schit to find in the AM.

GFY,
Travis

Well on its way to being the best combat pistol EVAH!

Blue's brainwashed you........... grin

MM

Posted By: aalf Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
GFY

And to you....

Give 'em hell tomorrow, and don't be trying to win the dink-a-thon....
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
Originally Posted by safariman
Yep, my older one took LOTS of work to make it 'right' and even after all of that my fairly new RIA Tactical 10 is easily its equal and probably the equal of a new Colt 10mm.

Typical Colt product.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
10mm is just too good I a cartridge to not have. At some point I'll add one to the stable again. These days my fav center fire is my .38 Super. Shoots flat and is uber-accurate. Not sure what I need a 10mm for, but I want one nonetheless. Prolly add a .40 barrel and maybe even a .357 Sig for when ammo gets tight. Nice to have options.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Yep, my older one took LOTS of work to make it 'right' and even after all of that my fairly new RIA Tactical 10 is easily its equal and probably the equal of a new Colt 10mm.

Typical Colt product.

Tell me about it!

My Colt is so [bleep] stupid it doesn't know it shouldn't be working.

Travis
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
10mm is just too good I a cartridge to not have. At some point I'll add one to the stable again. These days my fav center fire is my .38 Super. Shoots flat and is uber-accurate. Not sure what I need a 10mm for, but I want one nonetheless. Prolly add a .40 barrel and maybe even a .357 Sig for when ammo gets tight. Nice to have options.

One day all the 10mm fans will admit they shoot sub-40 speeds 90% of the time.

Except the ones that don't.

Travis
Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
I have 1911's in 38 super,45ACP,10mm and 460 Rowland. I have fun with all of them. Pro and cons on all.

Have no use for 40's.

Have no use for stricker guns either.

Plastic is for tampex applicators. Both my wife and girlfriend use 40's in plastic guns. They love them. They are too old to use the tampons.
Nobody accused you of being bright.

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
or good looking...
Honey you want more coffee? Do you want sugar in it?

Yeah, but no sugar,just put a 1/2 cap of Hoppe's in it. No, make that a full cap. My head hurts.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13

One day all the 10mm fans will admit they shoot sub-40 speeds 90% of the time.

Except the ones that don't.

Travis
For self defense, the 10mm lite makes a LOT of sense. There's no empirical evidence that full power loads stop better, but they do have that additional noise, flash, and recoil. For hunting, the full power 10mm gives you heavier bullets for deeper penetration.
Nobody accused you of being bright.

Travis

Obvious conclusion............

MM
Kevin-

It is true what you say about stopping power on humans. Evidence that is.

Their has been some studies involving penetration and stopping humans through windshields. The 10mm shines in that respect.

Good for LEO's

Good for LEO's

99.5% of LEO's can't shoot well enough to handle the 10mm...........that's exactly why they don't have them & that helped create the 40 S&W.

MM
Yep,sad but true. That is why we carry!!!

Some do stay proficient. Not all.

Like you said .5% maybe

That is changing.

Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
I have to challenge this. I'm not saying the average cop is an expert marksman, but at the very least, the 40 S&W has to have a 30% share of the LE market in the USA. That's without looking anything up, but...at least 30%. You really think that the 40 is that easier to shoot in factory trim than the 10 in factory trim? I don't.

The FBI came out with the 40 to address recoil issues amongst some of their smaller agents, especially women. That doesn't mean or equate to nearly all LE agents though.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
I never could figure out the reason for the 10MM.

As far as self-defense and busting windshields and going through soft skin autos the .38 Super will do the job just fine and the recoil is easier to handle. If windshields and soft skin autos aren't on the menu than the .45 Auto gets the job done and most people including women can handle the recoil just fine. My wife just shoot handguns very often and her preferred handgun is her .22lr but even she can and does shot my 1911 in .45 Auto.

Nothing against the 10MM but except for hunting is the 10MM is really needed.
If I just could have one, it would be a 45 ACP. But I love 1911's. So I have more. We have hogs on the property now. It took three hits from a 45 to drop a sow with piglets that wanted a piece of me. She was hopped up because of her youn'ns. I carry a Delta now on the farm loaded with hard cast.
I have one better too. Converted one 1911 to the 460 Rowland.

NOW THAT'S A GUN!!!
Posted By: RJM Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/26/13
Anyone have or know anything about either the Kimber Stainless Target II or the Para 6" in 10mm? I have a SSII in .38 Super and it is a fantastic shooter...

Back in 1980 when I went from .45 to Super in 1911s, if the 10mm had been avaialble it is probably the way I would have gone...

Bob
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I have to challenge this. I'm not saying the average cop is an expert marksman, but at the very least, the 40 S&W has to have a 30% share of the LE market in the USA. That's without looking anything up, but...at least 30%. You really think that the 40 is that easier to shoot in factory trim than the 10 in factory trim? I don't.

The FBI came out with the 40 to address recoil issues amongst some of their smaller agents, especially women. That doesn't mean or equate to nearly all LE agents though.

You're entitled to your opinion, even though you are wrong. grin

Probably should have qualified my comments on LE........I was mainly referring to locals & sheriffs.

And yes, depending in the gun, I think there is a noticeable difference between the 10mm & the 40 S&W.

MM

Years ago, and I mean years ago, the cops were the worst shooters on the range. It seems that has changed now. Many are good shots. Many are gun enthusiasts too.
Years ago, and I mean years ago, the cops were the worst shooters on the range. It seems that has changed now. Many are good shots. Many are gun enthusiasts too.

Well, I surely wouldn't say that "many" of the locals or sheriffs are good shooters or enthusiasts, IMO.

That changes somewhat at the State & certain Fed agencies level.

Still, most are not what I'd call enthusiasts........I know a Sgt. for a sheriff's dept. who's won 2 state championships & competed very well at Camp Perry, former Marine shooter, but he can scarcely maintain his guns. That's not what I classify as an enthusiast.

Took a local LEO, nephew of one of my pards, to the range a while back; he brought several guns, at 25 feet most of his targets looked like a shotgun pattern. He surely didn't know a thing about maintaining his guns either nor did he reload.

MM

Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
Your right montana. "many" may be a poor choice of words.

They do not take care of their guns very well. I know this for sure. Back when they all change from revolvers to autos their were a lot of crappy Model 10,28's on the market.

I guess they did not want to spend time every day at end of shift to wipe them down.

That is one advantage to have a plastic gun. About the only advantage I can think of.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
I agree with Ethan that most 10mm shooters ain't shooting full house 10mm ammo.

And the Forty is no slouch.

Travis
Both my cast and jacketed loads are 180gr @ around 1300fps out of a Delta. That seems to work pretty well.

I think the original Norma loads were 200gr @ 1300.

They were hot!!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13

You're entitled to your opinion, even though you are wrong. grin

Probably should have qualified my comments on LE........I was mainly referring to locals & sheriffs.

And yes, depending in the gun, I think there is a noticeable difference between the 10mm & the 40 S&W.

MM

I don't know about where you live but most of the LEO's around here that I know, are shooters.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
I agree with Ethan that most 10mm shooters ain't shooting full house 10mm ammo.

And the Forty is no slouch.

Travis

Is true. I love both the 10 and 40.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
Kevin-

It is true what you say about stopping power on humans. Evidence that is.

Their has been some studies involving penetration and stopping humans through windshields. The 10mm shines in that respect.

Good for LEO's
I think the .40 does just fine in that capacity without all the offending features of the 10.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13

For self defense, the 10mm lite makes a LOT of sense. There's no empirical evidence that full power loads stop better, but they do have that additional noise, flash, and recoil. For hunting, the full power 10mm gives you heavier bullets for deeper penetration.

No one has ever adequately explained to me why a load that is perfectly acceptable for use in defense of life against a 200 pound man wearing a leather jacket is deemed inadequate for use against a 200 pound deer. Why does a deer need a full power load for penetration if we don't need that load for self defense?

The best argument I have heard is people are weak and are susceptible to psychological stops whereas deer are not. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, nor is it something worthy of relying on. A deer and a person are similar enough that what works on one should work on another, right? A lot of guys that carry a 9 for SD will claim you need a .44 magnum just to hunt deer. What am I missing?
Well,If you shoot a man at 50 yards It may not be deemed self defense by some.

If you shoot a deer at less than 21ft, you are very lucky. You might as well stick out your leg and trip him, hop on and ride for a good 8 seconds then slit his throat.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
Originally Posted by RJM
Anyone have or know anything about either the Kimber Stainless Target II or the Para 6" in 10mm? I have a SSII in .38 Super and it is a fantastic shooter...

Back in 1980 when I went from .45 to Super in 1911s, if the 10mm had been avaialble it is probably the way I would have gone...

Bob

Yeah, I have one of the Kimber Stainless Target II's in 10mm. It needed some tuning to get it to run reliably, and still needs a trigger job, but is accurate. The fully supported barrel is a good addition. They also made the same model in 9mm and .38 Super, and they are good base pistols for hunting or target shooting. It's in the upper left in this photo:

[Linked Image]
That red triangle looks good doesn't it.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
Well,If you shoot a man at 50 yards It may not be deemed self defense by some.

If you shoot a deer at less than 21ft, you are very lucky. You might as well stick out your leg and trip him, hop on and ride for a good 8 seconds then slit his throat.
I've actually contemplated killing deer with a hammer before, but I reckon that's not legal.
Throw'n Hawk works!!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
Originally Posted by K1500

No one has ever adequately explained to me why a load that is perfectly acceptable for use in defense of life against a 200 pound man wearing a leather jacket is deemed inadequate for use against a 200 pound deer. Why does a deer need a full power load for penetration if we don't need that load for self defense?

The best argument I have heard is people are weak and are susceptible to psychological stops whereas deer are not. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, nor is it something worthy of relying on. A deer and a person are similar enough that what works on one should work on another, right? A lot of guys that carry a 9 for SD will claim you need a .44 magnum just to hunt deer. What am I missing?

You are not missing anything

Posted By: derby_dude Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13

I don't know what you are missing on this but if you ever figure it out let me know because I'd be interested in knowing too.

The difference is, people are shot with 9mm's every day and the cartridge works; there's nothing speculative about it. The FBI has set down a very good testing process for handgun cartridges and after 25 years of using that process, it hasn't really been found wanting. If you feel the need for more power then so be it. But guys who go the magnum route seem to forget that the engagement is almost 90% likely to be at night, and cartridges that use slow powders like the magnum revolver rounds, 10mm, .45 Super, and .460 Rowland will have a huge muzzle flash. Whereas a .40 or .45 will have almost no detectable muzzle flash, yet there is a massive amount of evidence that these cartridges are perfectly adequate. And don't try to tell me about low flash powders. They may be lower flash, but any powder that gets full velocities out of the 10mm will produce a muzzle flash easily 10x greater than that of a .45 ACP.

Kevin keep up with the progression of progress we now have low flash powders and that is what Buffalo Bore uses in many of their loadings

If you don't think that a 10mm or a 45 Super is a significant set up over a 9mm then I nor anyone else can help you. I have taken game with the 9mm and the 45 ACP and I am sure that ther is a difference. the 45 Super is most certainly a set up over the ACP. Even Ray Charles could see it in the game fields and no reason to think that it is any difference in the self defense department
Lower flash isn't low flash; and those loads still produce WAY more flash than the .45 ACP. And if you want to use the methods of 100 years ago, by judging what works on game, then go right ahead. Ignore all the data to the contrary. You seem to think there is no difference between game an a human. Game doesn't know what is at stake, humans do. And again, are you telling me that just because you have seen a difference on game that trumps the massive amount of evidence that non magnum cartridges are perfectly adequate? And if those magnums are needed, why is it that ABSOLUTELY NO law enforcement or military organization in the world uses them?
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
The only rationale I can think of for increased penetration for hunting over a self-defense scenario is an exit wound. The exit tends to bleed more than an entrance wound and makes tracking in thick cover a lot easier. This same arguement applies to bears, as their thick fur can soak up blood like a sponge, therefore decent deer bullets may not be great bear bullets, even if they both weigh similar.
Posted By: safariman Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The only rationale I can think of for increased penetration for hunting over a self-defense scenario is an exit wound. The exit tends to bleed more than an entrance wound and makes tracking in thick cover a lot easier. This same arguement applies to bears, as their thick fur can soak up blood like a sponge, therefore decent deer bullets may not be great bear bullets, even if they both weigh similar.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I do not neccesarily need or want an exit wound (though would likely have one with my 10mm that I carry) in a person to person altercation - that I hope and pray never comes - but MUST have an exit wound on any game animals. Also, there is a difference between killing something and stopping it dead in its tracks, with no more wiggling or foolishness. 9mm vs 200lb person? yeah, that is OK, 9mm VS 200lb black bear? Not on a bet.
Then, we also have to take in consideration the range at which the encounter will occur. Person to person, measuered in feet. Hunting, measured in yards and sometimes quite a few of them. Again more speed and more power makes perfect sense.

Sorta can't believe we are even having this discussion, the differences in the two types of events being SO very clear and obvious.

One more ad... a Bear is a lot 'harder' of a target than most human beings ever will be. Thicker skin, more dense muscles, heavier bones. And even deer are a bit tougher of a target or stop than a typical humanoid from what I have understood in my reading.

One more ad... a Bear is a lot 'harder' of a target than most human beings ever will be. Thicker skin, more dense muscles, heavier bones.

I skinned out two bears, a brownie that I estimated at 600#, and a black bear that weighed a tad under 200. Once you get the hide off of a bear, what is left puts Mr. Olympia to shame, nothing to trifle with.
Lower flash isn't low flash; and those loads still produce WAY more flash than the .45 ACP. And if you want to use the methods of 100 years ago, by judging what works on game, then go right ahead. Ignore all the data to the contrary. You seem to think there is no difference between game an a human. Game doesn't know what is at stake, humans do. And again, are you telling me that just because you have seen a difference on game that trumps the massive amount of evidence that non magnum cartridges are perfectly adequate? And if those magnums are needed, why is it that ABSOLUTELY NO law enforcement or military organization in the world uses them?

If you think that deer are substansively harder to put down than a determined human agversary you are very mistaken. Government agencys have always been years behind the curve if you ignore field data you are naive. Fackler has stated over and over that the largest caliber handgun that you can shoot effectively is better than a smaller one. You are the one that is ignoring the data. You continualy claim that a 9mm is just as good and that is pure BS

Then, we also have to take in consideration the range at which the encounter will occur. Person to person, measuered in feet. Hunting, measured in yards and sometimes quite a few of them. Again more speed and more power makes perfect sense.

Sorta can't believe we are even having this discussion, the differences in the two types of events being SO very clear and obvious.

One more ad... a Bear is a lot 'harder' of a target than most human beings ever will be. Thicker skin, more dense muscles, heavier bones. And even deer are a bit tougher of a target or stop than a typical humanoid from what I have understood in my reading.

You ignore the obvious and add in bear, I disagree with your take completely
Originally Posted by jwp475

Your prerogative, but I thought that you and I mostly agreed that bigger is better on most any target, especially with handguns. I am a bit surprised at your take. No worries, though.
45 acp,10mm,460 Rowland on bear--- not me, I want something bigger? 300grs or more! Preferably in a long gun.

10mm, 460 Rowland for self protection--not

9mm (europellet)---not never for anything

Low flash/no flash isn't as good as "one Flash" While we are on this one. The human iris will not close in the time it takes a "large flash" to dwindle. Read that in you Research?

All the swat teams that do the work at night know it! Their suppressed rifles have more flash than things we are talking about here. Has anyone here shot at night? Jesssss!

If you want a compact package like a 1911 so you can work on the farm,climb in and out of a four wheeler,tractor,combine and truck and chop firewood and still have the power and the ability to shoot at distance, pick the 38 super, 10mm or 460! Leave the nine home for momma to shoot stay cats. If you allow 9mm's in your house.

Do not repair fences with your good sidearm on. It will scratch your favorite gun. Don't ask me how I know.

Black bear I would use a properly loaded 45 ACP, a grizz in Denali park a while back was stopped with a 45 ACP better than finger nails. I would certainly prefer a 45 Colt with a 325 grain flat point hard cast at 1200 to 1400 FPS. More power more better. The same logic works in self defense cartridge as well, with the balance between fast accurate repeat shots and power being the line that one must walk in the personal protection scenario

Your prerogative, but I thought that you and I mostly agreed that bigger is better on most any target, especially with handguns. I am a bit surprised at your take. No worries, though.

I certainly do believe that bigger is better, that was not what I got from your post, if I miss-in-terpreted I apolagize
The only reason I really own a Delta Elite?

I hope to one day find Don Henley. And I don't want to pistol whip him with a plastic framed gun. And I surely don't want to muck up a beautiful Smith.

Now you know.

Travis
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/27/13

I do not neccesarily need or want an exit wound in a person to person altercation -

The logic of that escapes me...........as far as killing what's being shot as goes.

Might not always happen for a myriad of reasons, but surely would never see it as a bad thing other than any peripheral damage that might result from the bullet pass through.

MM
deflave-

don't forget Rugers. You can use them in crappy weather AND muck it up without loss. Save the Smiths and Colts for more refined work. LOL
deflave-

don't forget Rugers. You can use them in crappy weather AND muck it up without loss. Save the Smiths and Colts for more refined work. LOL

No. This scenario has been played out repeatedly. It's gonna be the Delta. And he's gonna apologize for every classic rock station I've ever encountered.

Travis

nI see you are working your plan. [Linked Image]

If you think that deer are substansively harder to put down than a determined human agversary you are very mistaken. Government agencys have always been years behind the curve if you ignore field data you are naive. Fackler has stated over and over that the largest caliber handgun that you can shoot effectively is better than a smaller one. You are the one that is ignoring the data. You continualy claim that a 9mm is just as good and that is pure BS

I didn't say it wasn't "better" from a pure wounding standpoint. I said that the non magnums were SUFFICIENT; big difference. To my way of thinking, once you reach sufficient, then you start to factor in other things like recoil, noise and the all important but often completely ignored muzzle flash. Once you factor the others, to MY way of thinking, the offenses completely offset the additional wounding effects. Obviously you disagree. But even the most highly trained fighting forces in the world...you know, the guys who fight, instead of talk about guns on a forum...they find non-magnums completely sufficient. And that's my ONLY point.
I have mixed emotions on the 40 S&W, it IS the undeniable source of the overwhelming majority of Glock KABOOMS. It is problematic to reload. It is however, the choice of Tier One units currently. I'm sure they have a reason or two for that, of course, they ain't reloading, and training women to shoot it either.
40's rock. You heard it here first.

Travis

I didn't say it wasn't "better" from a pure wounding standpoint. I said that the non magnums were SUFFICIENT; big difference. To my way of thinking, once you reach sufficient, then you start to factor in other things like recoil, noise and the all important but often completely ignored muzzle flash. Once you factor the others, to MY way of thinking, the offenses completely offset the additional wounding effects. Obviously you disagree. But even the most highly trained fighting forces in the world...you know, the guys who fight, instead of talk about guns on a forum...they find non-magnums completely sufficient. And that's my ONLY point.

I suppose one might call the 9mm sufficient as it killed every animal that I shot with it. The fact it was not decisive left me wanting more and cold toward the 9mm. The 357 mag could be called sufficient on a 200 pound black bear, but the 44 mag is more decisive, I believe that you can attest to that.

My CCW instructor thought that my 45 Super kicked too much and he claimed hurt his wrist. I have no such complaints and was shooting golf balls when the class ended at 25 yards, the same as he could with his 9mm except that the 45 sent the golf balls to parts unknown the 9mm hit ones were easily found

40's rock. You heard it here first.

Travis

Thanks, I could live with a 40
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
The 357 mag could be called sufficient on a 200 pound black bear, but the 44 mag is more ery valid and I really don't disagree with them. Where I disagree is with the notion that non-magnums are insufficient. That just doesn't hold with the facts. decisive, I believe that you can attest to

You certainly have me there. After my fight with a black bear, I couldn't get a 44 soon enough. And yes there is a very noticeable difference...on game. And there may even be a difference on humans.

I really worry about muzzle flash. I'm a student of military history and military small arms. In my readings muzzle flash has NEVER been a desirable feature, especially at low light. Not only does it mess with your vision, but of much more concern it tends to attract all the wrong sort of attention. He with the most noise and flash tends to find that everyone is shooting at him. Not the most likely scenario for a civilian, but I can think of a few scenarios. You and a bud after dark find yourself fighting multiple aggressors, he has a non magnum auto cartridge that produces slighty more than no flash, and you with the magnum. If it were you on the other side, I'll bet you would shoot at the guy with the big gun first...lacking any other information, that would seem the biggest threat. That one thing would prevent the top teams from using such a pistol.
I have mixed emotions on the 40 S&W, it IS the undeniable source of the overwhelming majority of Glock KABOOMS. It is problematic to reload. It is however, the choice of Tier One units currently. I'm sure they have a reason or two for that, of course, they ain't reloading, and training women to shoot it either.
The military has to use FMJ, so their change makes sense. You'd think they'd just switch to the .45...it's a proven performer, and it's already in the supply line (somewhat). But the .45 really doesn't have the best barrier penetration for a military cartridge. It fits the bill perfectly for LE use, but is a little lacking for military use. Those teams choose the .40 because it penetrates barriers like a 9mm but hits more like a .45.

Intermediate barrier penetration is a big deal in military circles, much more so than law enforcement. If I had to use only FMJ handgun ammo while fighting in a 3rd world country where there are a lot of block and mortar structures, the .40 with a 180 gr FMJ would be THE handgun to have. That is assuming a good supply line:)
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
The 357 mag could be called sufficient on a 200 pound black bear, but the 44 mag is more ery valid and I really don't disagree with them. Where I disagree is with the notion that non-magnums are insufficient. That just doesn't hold with the facts. decisive, I believe that you can attest to

You certainly have me there. After my fight with a black bear, I couldn't get a 44 soon enough. And yes there is a very noticeable difference...on game. And there may even be a difference on humans.

I really worry about muzzle flash. I'm a student of military history and military small arms. In my readings muzzle flash has NEVER been a desirable feature, especially at low light. Not only does it mess with your vision, but of much more concern it tends to attract all the wrong sort of attention. He with the most noise and flash tends to find that everyone is shooting at him. Not the most likely scenario for a civilian, but I can think of a few scenarios. You and a bud after dark find yourself fighting multiple aggressors, he has a non magnum auto cartridge that produces slighty more than no flash, and you with the magnum. If it were you on the other side, I'll bet you would shoot at the guy with the big gun first...lacking any other information, that would seem the biggest threat. That one thing would prevent the top teams from using such a pistol.

I'd be willing to wager that most civilians will be trying to get the hell away from the guy shooting the more powerful louder weapon headed to parts unknown. I am also willing to wager than fewer hits will be required to render the adversary incapable of continuing to press the fight
The military has to use FMJ, so their change makes sense. You'd think they'd just switch to the .45...it's a proven performer, and it's already in the supply line (somewhat). But the .45 really doesn't have the best barrier penetration for a military cartridge. It fits the bill perfectly for LE use, but is a little lacking for military use. Those teams choose the .40 because it penetrates barriers like a 9mm but hits more like a .45.

Intermediate barrier penetration is a big deal in military circles, much more so than law enforcement. If I had to use only FMJ handgun ammo while fighting in a 3rd world country where there are a lot of block and mortar structures, the .40 with a 180 gr FMJ would be THE handgun to have. That is assuming a good supply line:)

Intermediate barrier penetration is a huge concern in law enforcement and that is way the FBI ammo test include intermediate barrier penetration tests before hitting gelatin as well as bare gelatin tests

Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
And then the political influences kicked in.

How are we going to hold 30% female Agents if we are using the 10mm? We better use the 40 S&W.
Posted By: viking Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
Kevin, would share more about the bear fight, I haven't heard it. Also would the 10 mm been the ticket, lets say in a Glock 20 or 29 or DE.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
Yup--

Lot of people like the 20's and 29's . They usually switch barrels if they reload. Those "Glock Smiles" on the spent cases are deeper that you think. Load one hot and Kaboom!!!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
I havn't heard a reasonable explanation for the differences between humans and game yet, so here is my two cents.
With game you not only have the extended range, but, the biggest factor is most game is not pumped up on drugs and/or emotion. Even more important, humans are often trying to kill you. Extra power that make animals die faster doesn't do much in a gun fight. Getting good hits is absolutely the most important factor in gunfights. And very tough to do even for really good shots.
On game, a solid lung shot will do very nicely, particularly if it's close to the heart. On humans if they are on drugs, and the majority of them are, a lung shot often doesn't stop. If you encounter that, you need to make a CNS hit. Multiple hits in the chest, missing the spine simply doesn't work all too often. Heck, I've talked to alot of people who have done the real thing. Much of the time, they don't hit anything significant and the situation turns out badly. Very tough to do right. Espoecially if you have no experience with such things.
So, again, carry what you shoot best under stress. I happen to shoot a 1911, .45 as well I do any of the three 9's I've owned and carried. I happen to shoot a SIG 220 slightly better than the 1911 guns I have. But if I didn't and shot my old Browning HP 9 noticable better, that's what I'd carry. E
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
I won't say yet that I "like" my G20, but I don't DISLIKE it as much. Good pistol after I changed barrels, recoil springs, guide rod, and a few other things. My barrel is a 6" GLOCK Hunter - the aftermarket barrel I started with was a disaster, the Glock barrel has been near perfect. I recently mounted a Burris Fastfire III on the slide, and think I will like the pistol even more now (or dislike it even less?).

That said, if Travis offered to trade me his Delta Elite for my Glock, I would NOT tell him to GFY!

Without a doubt one must have good shot placement to be effective even with the Hoover hammer. I have found that heavier larger diameter handgun bullets are much more likely to give a visual indication of a hit than smaller diameter lighter bullets. That us an advantage worth having IMHO. If one shoots a 9mm better than a 45 then they should use the 9, I agree with E and Kevin on this point
Originally Posted by viking
Kevin, would share more about the bear fight, I haven't heard it. Also would the 10 mm been the ticket, lets say in a Glock 20 or 29 or DE.

http://shootersjournal.net/is-that-really-a-bear-between-my-legs/
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I won't say yet that I "like" my G20, but I don't DISLIKE it as much. Good pistol after I changed barrels, recoil springs, guide rod, and a few other things. My barrel is a 6" GLOCK Hunter - the aftermarket barrel I started with was a disaster, the Glock barrel has been near perfect. I recently mounted a Burris Fastfire III on the slide, and think I will like the pistol even more now (or dislike it even less?).

That said, if Travis offered to trade me his Delta Elite for my Glock, I would NOT tell him to GFY!

Let me get Don Henley off my bucket list, and then we can talk.

Travis
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13

Travis
Saw Henley live at Wichita about three weeks back. He's from my Mom's hometown. Joe Walsh is from Wichita and rocked the house.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13

Travis

When you get to hell and start rollin' that hot rock uphill....forever, I'm sure beelzebubba will have you rockin' to "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" or similar. Maybe even some bluegrass.

When you get to hell and start rollin' that hot rock uphill....forever, I'm sure beelzebubba will have you rockin' to "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" or similar. Maybe even some bluegrass.

That's a relief.

I was scared hell consisted of conversing with you and Ken Howell, in line at Wal-Mart, for eternity.

Travis
Saw Henley live at Wichita about three weeks back. He's from my Mom's hometown. Joe Walsh is from Wichita and rocked the house.

I'm green with envy...

Travis
Posted By: safariman Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13

That is a GREAT story! I have hunted in that country, having lived in Auburn California some and with a favorite aunt and uncle in Truckee. Beautiful country that region....

Thanks for the article!
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13

That's a relief.

I was scared hell consisted of conversing with you and Ken Howell, in line at Wal-Mart, for eternity.

Travis

TFF
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/28/13
I LIKE Don Henley, just not crazy about his shirts. Why not go after James Taylor, or someone like him?
I LIKE Don Henley, just not crazy about his shirts. Why not go after James Taylor, or someone like him?

All members of the genre, are fair game.

Travis

That is a GREAT story! I have hunted in that country, having lived in Auburn California some and with a favorite aunt and uncle in Truckee. Beautiful country that region....

Thanks for the article!
Like most things, it's a big laugh once you realize you're not going to die.
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/29/13
I'm just glad you're ok Kevin.

Travis
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/29/13
How accurate is the Colt Delta Elite at 25 yards out of the box?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
How accurate is the Colt Delta Elite at 25 yards out of the box?

Tighter than I can shoot.

Travis
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/29/13

I'm green with envy...

Travis
Okay, you got me again.

Okay, you got me again.

Take it easy.

Travis
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/29/13

Okay, you got me again.

Take it easy.

Travis

Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy.
I don't feel we've come far enough in our relationship to sing a duet. Yet...

Travis
Posted By: K1500 Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/29/13
Do what you want to Henley with your Delta, just leave the bubble-headed bleach blond alone, I kinda like the gleam in her eye.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/30/13

Travis

Au contraire.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/31/13

Travis

Actually, the 2 of you might be quite well suited for a deep, lasting & rewarding relationship. wink

MM
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/31/13

Travis

Actually, the 2 of you might be quite well suited for a deep, lasting & rewarding relationship. wink

MM

We're both afraid of commitment.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 10/31/13
I'm shocked.........never would have thought that of you.

As for deflave, nothing suprises.
MM
Posted By: SHW Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/10/13
Well after debating the Colt, I order a Nighthawk long slide on Friday. I am having a lot of fun with the Glock 20 and the 6 inch KKM barrel.
I never thought I would even consider a Nighthawk, but I can't wait for it to get here.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
Both my cast and jacketed loads are 180gr @ around 1300fps out of a Delta. That seems to work pretty well.

I think the original Norma loads were 200gr @ 1300.

They were hot!!

i think that norma 200grain load was more like 1200fps
Posted By: deflave Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
Originally Posted by SHW
Well after debating the Colt, I order a Nighthawk long slide on Friday. I am having a lot of fun with the Glock 20 and the 6 inch KKM barrel.
I never thought I would even consider a Nighthawk, but I can't wait for it to get here.

What's a NIghthawk?

Travis
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
A way which, if traveled, leads to madness...

grin

Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
Originally Posted by SHW

What's a NIghthawk?
Travis

$3595 should buy one heck of a nice pistol. How long did they quote for lead time? How about accuracy?
Posted By: SHW Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
Lead time is 90 days, as my dealer had one in line that I could customize. If you have to order one straight out, I believe it is close to two years.
Selling some stuff out of the safe that I no longer shoot to fund it.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
A way which, if traveled, leads to madness...

grin

You are not the first person that I have heard this from------they seem addicting.

www.nighthawkcustom.com
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
I actually sorta wish I hadn't seen this one...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375020010

and yes it's a 10mm, just to keep the thread on track...
My specs:
Tan Frame
Black Slide
Leupold Delta Point
Ambi Safety
Crimson Trace Grips
Recon Frame
Serrations on front of slide
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Colt Delta Elite 10MM - 11/11/13
I use to live rather close to Nighthawk...they straight up build them right!
© 24hourcampfire