-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I agree with Ethan that most 10mm shooters ain't shooting full house 10mm ammo.

And the Forty is no slouch.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Both my cast and jacketed loads are 180gr @ around 1300fps out of a Delta. That seems to work pretty well.

I think the original Norma loads were 200gr @ 1300.

They were hot!!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I have to challenge this. I'm not saying the average cop is an expert marksman, but at the very least, the 40 S&W has to have a 30% share of the LE market in the USA. That's without looking anything up, but...at least 30%. You really think that the 40 is that easier to shoot in factory trim than the 10 in factory trim? I don't.

The FBI came out with the 40 to address recoil issues amongst some of their smaller agents, especially women. That doesn't mean or equate to nearly all LE agents though.

You're entitled to your opinion, even though you are wrong. grin

Probably should have qualified my comments on LE........I was mainly referring to locals & sheriffs.

And yes, depending in the gun, I think there is a noticeable difference between the 10mm & the 40 S&W.

MM

I don't know about where you live but most of the LEO's around here that I know, are shooters.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by deflave
I agree with Ethan that most 10mm shooters ain't shooting full house 10mm ammo.

And the Forty is no slouch.

Travis

Is true. I love both the 10 and 40.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby
Kevin-

It is true what you say about stopping power on humans. Evidence that is.

Their has been some studies involving penetration and stopping humans through windshields. The 10mm shines in that respect.

Good for LEO's
I think the .40 does just fine in that capacity without all the offending features of the 10.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

For self defense, the 10mm lite makes a LOT of sense. There's no empirical evidence that full power loads stop better, but they do have that additional noise, flash, and recoil. For hunting, the full power 10mm gives you heavier bullets for deeper penetration.

No one has ever adequately explained to me why a load that is perfectly acceptable for use in defense of life against a 200 pound man wearing a leather jacket is deemed inadequate for use against a 200 pound deer. Why does a deer need a full power load for penetration if we don't need that load for self defense?

The best argument I have heard is people are weak and are susceptible to psychological stops whereas deer are not. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, nor is it something worthy of relying on. A deer and a person are similar enough that what works on one should work on another, right? A lot of guys that carry a 9 for SD will claim you need a .44 magnum just to hunt deer. What am I missing?

Last edited by K1500; 10/26/13.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well,If you shoot a man at 50 yards It may not be deemed self defense by some.

If you shoot a deer at less than 21ft, you are very lucky. You might as well stick out your leg and trip him, hop on and ride for a good 8 seconds then slit his throat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Anyone have or know anything about either the Kimber Stainless Target II or the Para 6" in 10mm? I have a SSII in .38 Super and it is a fantastic shooter...

Back in 1980 when I went from .45 to Super in 1911s, if the 10mm had been avaialble it is probably the way I would have gone...

Bob

Yeah, I have one of the Kimber Stainless Target II's in 10mm. It needed some tuning to get it to run reliably, and still needs a trigger job, but is accurate. The fully supported barrel is a good addition. They also made the same model in 9mm and .38 Super, and they are good base pistols for hunting or target shooting. It's in the upper left in this photo:

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That red triangle looks good doesn't it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gibby
Well,If you shoot a man at 50 yards It may not be deemed self defense by some.

If you shoot a deer at less than 21ft, you are very lucky. You might as well stick out your leg and trip him, hop on and ride for a good 8 seconds then slit his throat.
I've actually contemplated killing deer with a hammer before, but I reckon that's not legal.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Throw'n Hawk works!!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by K1500

For self defense, the 10mm lite makes a LOT of sense. There's no empirical evidence that full power loads stop better, but they do have that additional noise, flash, and recoil. For hunting, the full power 10mm gives you heavier bullets for deeper penetration.

No one has ever adequately explained to me why a load that is perfectly acceptable for use in defense of life against a 200 pound man wearing a leather jacket is deemed inadequate for use against a 200 pound deer. Why does a deer need a full power load for penetration if we don't need that load for self defense?

The best argument I have heard is people are weak and are susceptible to psychological stops whereas deer are not. While that may be true some of the time, it isn't true all of the time, nor is it something worthy of relying on. A deer and a person are similar enough that what works on one should work on another, right? A lot of guys that carry a 9 for SD will claim you need a .44 magnum just to hunt deer. What am I missing?

You are not missing anything

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't know what you are missing on this but if you ever figure it out let me know because I'd be interested in knowing too.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The difference is, people are shot with 9mm's every day and the cartridge works; there's nothing speculative about it. The FBI has set down a very good testing process for handgun cartridges and after 25 years of using that process, it hasn't really been found wanting. If you feel the need for more power then so be it. But guys who go the magnum route seem to forget that the engagement is almost 90% likely to be at night, and cartridges that use slow powders like the magnum revolver rounds, 10mm, .45 Super, and .460 Rowland will have a huge muzzle flash. Whereas a .40 or .45 will have almost no detectable muzzle flash, yet there is a massive amount of evidence that these cartridges are perfectly adequate. And don't try to tell me about low flash powders. They may be lower flash, but any powder that gets full velocities out of the 10mm will produce a muzzle flash easily 10x greater than that of a .45 ACP.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Kevin keep up with the progression of progress we now have low flash powders and that is what Buffalo Bore uses in many of their loadings

If you don't think that a 10mm or a 45 Super is a significant set up over a 9mm then I nor anyone else can help you. I have taken game with the 9mm and the 45 ACP and I am sure that ther is a difference. the 45 Super is most certainly a set up over the ACP. Even Ray Charles could see it in the game fields and no reason to think that it is any difference in the self defense department

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lower flash isn't low flash; and those loads still produce WAY more flash than the .45 ACP. And if you want to use the methods of 100 years ago, by judging what works on game, then go right ahead. Ignore all the data to the contrary. You seem to think there is no difference between game an a human. Game doesn't know what is at stake, humans do. And again, are you telling me that just because you have seen a difference on game that trumps the massive amount of evidence that non magnum cartridges are perfectly adequate? And if those magnums are needed, why is it that ABSOLUTELY NO law enforcement or military organization in the world uses them?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only rationale I can think of for increased penetration for hunting over a self-defense scenario is an exit wound. The exit tends to bleed more than an entrance wound and makes tracking in thick cover a lot easier. This same arguement applies to bears, as their thick fur can soak up blood like a sponge, therefore decent deer bullets may not be great bear bullets, even if they both weigh similar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
The only rationale I can think of for increased penetration for hunting over a self-defense scenario is an exit wound. The exit tends to bleed more than an entrance wound and makes tracking in thick cover a lot easier. This same arguement applies to bears, as their thick fur can soak up blood like a sponge, therefore decent deer bullets may not be great bear bullets, even if they both weigh similar.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I do not neccesarily need or want an exit wound (though would likely have one with my 10mm that I carry) in a person to person altercation - that I hope and pray never comes - but MUST have an exit wound on any game animals. Also, there is a difference between killing something and stopping it dead in its tracks, with no more wiggling or foolishness. 9mm vs 200lb person? yeah, that is OK, 9mm VS 200lb black bear? Not on a bet.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then, we also have to take in consideration the range at which the encounter will occur. Person to person, measuered in feet. Hunting, measured in yards and sometimes quite a few of them. Again more speed and more power makes perfect sense.

Sorta can't believe we are even having this discussion, the differences in the two types of events being SO very clear and obvious.

One more ad... a Bear is a lot 'harder' of a target than most human beings ever will be. Thicker skin, more dense muscles, heavier bones. And even deer are a bit tougher of a target or stop than a typical humanoid from what I have understood in my reading.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by safariman

One more ad... a Bear is a lot 'harder' of a target than most human beings ever will be. Thicker skin, more dense muscles, heavier bones.

I skinned out two bears, a brownie that I estimated at 600#, and a black bear that weighed a tad under 200. Once you get the hide off of a bear, what is left puts Mr. Olympia to shame, nothing to trifle with.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 57 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.