Home
Posted By: dimecovers5 Kimber current production? - 08/06/21
Is Kimber shipping Classic Selects now? Looking for a .270
Damn! I wish they were, I would love to have one in .308 Win .....Hb
Nobody with insider info?
I’d like to see them making Montana’s again. It seems like the only rifles they’re making is Hunter’s.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’d like to see them making Montana’s again. It seems like the only rifles they’re making is Hunter’s.

Me too, but only if they drop the threaded barrel nonsense
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Kimber current production? - 08/09/21
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Me too, but only if they drop the threaded barrel nonsense

Kimber 84M rifles are well designed and have many good features, but their management sure fux up the show.
Called my dealer not long ago and asked about ordering a Hunter (they’re a Kimber Master Dealer). Got a call back the next day and was told to find one where I could as Kimber was busy moving and it’s not likely they be making any for a while.

I ponied up for a Model 70 instead.
Word is they might get out of the long gun game
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Word is they might get out of the long gun game

Been rumored for a while now. Be nice to hear something definitive. Shame if so.
Shame if they go away. I snatched up an Montana 7-08 but still haven't tried it yet. But I'm glad I jumped on it when I did.
The Kimber Montana is an excellent rifle.

Which means, since Kimber is an American firearms company, management is looking for any excuse to kill it.

Originally Posted by shinbone
The Kimber Montana is an excellent rifle.

Which means, since Kimber is an American firearms company, management is looking for any excuse to kill it.

Managment has been doing their best in killing Kimber ever since it opened up in Yonkers
Why did they drop the 308 Montana?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Kimber current production? - 08/09/21
The "they're moving" excuse doesn't hold water. They have been in Alabama for darn near a year. At what point does moving cease to be an excuse. I love their rifles and have several. However, their ideas on chamberings etc frustrates me. I know their primary business is 1911s, but good lord, you have a fantastic rifle that fills a unique niche. Keep the quality up in the right chamberings, and they won't be able to make enough.

I'll be pretty sad if they drop rifle production.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Called my dealer not long ago and asked about ordering a Hunter (they’re a Kimber Master Dealer). Got a call back the next day and was told to find one where I could as Kimber was busy moving and it’s not likely they be making any for a while.

I ponied up for a Model 70 instead.

I am interested in a Hunter also , they sure seem to advertise the rifle a lot in the gun mags. Own an 84M in 300win, took it to Africa twice, great gun.
Oh, I found some ”in the wild” as my dealer put it, I just re-thought the concept of a 6 pound .308. My son has a 6.5 I’ve shot, and it’s pretty lively on the bench. Have a couple light 6mms that are easier for me to shoot well.

Try Guns International. Seem to run $800-$900. Some are the black Kimpro finish.

Might be the Plague is slowing them down with their move, like everything else, or their supply chain. All kinds of stuff is hard to come by now.
They are building/shipping Hunters, because there are new stock colors that didn't exist a year ago. See link:

Hunter Desolve Pro

I can't understand why they (apparently) aren't shipping Montanas. Probably a stock sourcing problem?
It wouldn’t be the first time my dealer told me something was unavailble when actually it just wasn’t available to him.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Kimber current production? - 08/10/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It wouldn’t be the first time my dealer told me something was unavailble when actually it just wasn’t available to him.

I think your dealer. is pulling a quick one on you. I dropped into a shop today and was told if I wanted a Hunter or Mountain Ascent one, now issues, Montana, forget it. At least the gun counter guy agreed with me the Montana needs to come back.
Maybe they are too busy making the new 22LR bolt guns.

Well, a guy can dream can't he?
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Maybe they are too busy making the new 22LR bolt guns.

Well, a guy can dream can't he?

I got a K22 before they stopped
Originally Posted by AB2506
The "they're moving" excuse doesn't hold water. They have been in Alabama for darn near a year. At what point does moving cease to be an excuse. I love their rifles and have several. However, their ideas on chamberings etc frustrates me. I know their primary business is 1911s, but good lord, you have a fantastic rifle that fills a unique niche. Keep the quality up in the right chamberings, and they won't be able to make enough.

Yeah, but their Headquarters in NY was shutdown during Covid.
Posted By: KU_Geo Re: Kimber current production? - 08/11/21
Sounds like they are revamping the montana again. I had to send one in for warranty work as the pillar broke free from the stock. They called today and they only have FDE painted montana stocks, from a 2022 model they haven’t released yet. I confirmed it wasn’t a hunter stock. So sounds like more changes in the works.
Posted By: Grumman Re: Kimber current production? - 08/12/21
A FDE stock with black cerakote over stainless would be sweet
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Kimber current production? - 08/12/21
Thinking the same Grumman. I picked up KimPro Hunter earlier this year, in .270 with a god awful looking real tree or mossy oak something stock. Shoots fantastic so I think I'll have the stock painted FDE. I wish there were stocks available to buy for these things but I guess paint will have to do.
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Kimber current production? - 08/12/21
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Thinking the same Grumman. I picked up KimPro Hunter earlier this year, in .270 with a god awful looking real tree or mossy oak something stock. Shoots fantastic so I think I'll have the stock painted FDE. I wish there were stocks available to buy for these things but I guess paint will have to do.

I have a new 84L Hunter stock I'll sell if you're interested. It's Northwood Brown which is a nicer color than the FDE. I have FDE too. Send me a PM if you're interested. FDE has been discontinued in both the 84M and 84L Hunter stocks.
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber current production? - 08/13/21
Are Montana stocks available to purchase by any chance?
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Kimber current production? - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by tzone

I only have a few prototype 84M stocks left that were made by a US vendor to replace the Costa Rica stocks.

As many already know, Montana, Mountain Ascent, Adirondack, Subalpine and Talkeetna stocks are no longer being made in Costa Rica and haven't been for a year or so. Kimber rifle production has been shut down entirely for the last six to eight months. A new stock vendor based in the US will be making rifle stocks once they've passed the approval process. This effort was started over two years ago when I worked for Kimber and is still ongoing. The US stocks are considerably more expensive than the Costa Rica stocks so expect to see a price jump on Montana, MA, etc. On the bright side, the new stocks should be more consistent. Kimber has had to replace a lot of the Costa Rica stocks over the years due to cracking, warping, swelling, voids, loose stud mounts, recoil pads, etc.

Posted By: K22 Re: Kimber current production? - 08/14/21
Originally Posted by MCMXI

I only have a few prototype 84M stocks left that were made by a US vendor to replace the Costa Rica stocks.

As many already know, Montana, Mountain Ascent, Adirondack, Subalpine and Talkeetna stocks are no longer being made in Costa Rica and haven't been for a year or so. Kimber rifle production has been shut down entirely for the last six to eight months. A new stock vendor based in the US will be making rifle stocks once they've passed the approval process. This effort was started over two years ago when I worked for Kimber and is still ongoing. The US stocks are considerably more expensive than the Costa Rica stocks so expect to see a price jump on Montana, MA, etc. On the bright side, the new stocks should be more consistent. Kimber has had to replace a lot of the Costa Rica stocks over the years due to cracking, warping, swelling, voids, loose stud mounts, recoil pads, etc.

Do you have any photo's of the prototype 84M stocks? Are these the ones with more carbon fiber in them?
Posted By: KU_Geo Re: Kimber current production? - 08/15/21
stock issues is why mine had to go back to them. It was brand new and one of the pillars was already loose in the stock. Sure, could of punched it out and repaired it, by why F with it and the void any warranty….
What is "FDE"?
Originally Posted by BKinSD

I have a new 84L Hunter stock I'll sell if you're interested. It's Northwood Brown which is a nicer color than the FDE. I have FDE too. Send me a PM if you're interested. FDE has been discontinued in both the 84M and 84L Hunter stocks.

I have a Hunter in 6.5 CM and have never liked the very thin comb of the stock and would love to get a "Montana" stock, trigger guard, mag box and follower for it one day.
It shoots great...I just haven't warmed up to that plastic mess
What is "FDE"?

Flat dark earth. Or, brown as most folks call it.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Kimber current production? - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
What is "FDE"?

Flat dark earth. Or, brown as most folks call it.

Regular folks. Tacticool folks like to say "FDE". Matches their mall ninja uniforms.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Kimber current production? - 08/15/21
I've had a wood stock Classic, and now have a Montana. One comment is that though the specs show the same dimensions, I suspect the Montana must have a thinner comb, as I had to add a cheek pad to raise my sight line thru the scope.
I would like to see a decent aftermarket stock for the hunters. That would make them an option for me, other then that, I’m stuck on the Montana’s.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Kimber current production? - 08/15/21
Originally Posted by AB2506

I agree and I live in Alabama, was happy to have them here but not at the expense of their rifle line. I’ve never owned one but know plenty of folks that love them.

Far out. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by asheepdog
I would like to see a decent aftermarket stock for the hunters. That would make them an option for me, other then that, I’m stuck on the Montana’s.

A slim stock out of similar material as a Tikka T3X, with blind mag or drop floorplate. YRMV
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber current production? - 08/18/21
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

A slim stock out of similar material as a Tikka T3X, with blind mag or drop floorplate. YRMV

Tikka stocks suck ass.
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber current production? - 08/18/21

Are any of them for sale?
Posted By: MCMXI Re: Kimber current production? - 08/19/21
Originally Posted by Wrapids
I've had a wood stock Classic, and now have a Montana. One comment is that though the specs show the same dimensions, I suspect the Montana must have a thinner comb, as I had to add a cheek pad to raise my sight line thru the scope.

It's hard to give an injection molded stock a "fat" comb due to the likelihood of smearing as the left and right sides of the mold come apart. That's why the Hunter comb is thinner (smaller radius) than the Montana comb.

Are any of them for sale?

A couple ... PM sent.
Another bit of Kimber history. We had a really good Director of Engineering for a while with a strong composites background, useless directors before and after, but he sent some Costa Rica stocks to a university that assessed the resins used. The results were bad, really bad. The glass transition temperature was around 95F and the conclusion was the resin never really sets. The stocks were made in Costa Rica with no atmospheric control despite high humidity (not good for resin) or even consistent time in the mold prior to being released.
My Master Dealer was told over a year's wait on anything in the Montana lineup. This protracted delay in the move to AL will result in some market share loss as hunters move to other brands. Surely as already alluded to, there will be design changes which usually are not merited or the best and of course the price will go up a few hundred dollars.

Tikka stocks suck ass.

I don't agree at all, they're fairly decent in the factory offerings below premium priced composites. The material, which is the focus of my comment, is robust and consistent. Possibly the best 'poly' stock material out there I've encountered. No voids, pin holes and chit like some. I do believe it could make for a good, non detachable mag version of an 84 "economy model" or as proposed, an aftermarket conversion from detachable mag. Of course a guy could buy a Montana (someday maybe) and really have something. Can't see the point of buying a Hunter and upgrading to a Montana quality stock, unless, I suppose someone prefers the Hunter's magazines? I do not. YRMV
Posted By: horse1 Re: Kimber current production? - 08/22/21
Apologies for the minor derail, but, why doesn't anyone build a "molded" stock out of the same stuff Ruger used for the "Boat-paddle" stocks? Too heavy when shaped in a non-skeletonize manner? They were plenty stiff for a molded stock.
Another bit of Kimber history. We had a really good Director of Engineering for a while with a strong composites background, useless directors before and after, but he sent some Costa Rica stocks to a university that assessed the resins used. The results were bad, really bad. The glass transition temperature was around 95F and the conclusion was the resin never really sets. The stocks were made in Costa Rica with no atmospheric control despite high humidity (not good for resin) or even consistent time in the mold prior to being released.

Many Ships and Boats are built in every area of Florida out of every conceivable Fiberglass,Carbon, Kevlar fabric in very humid conditions without issues. Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut .
Originally Posted by horse1
Apologies for the minor derail, but, why doesn't anyone build a "molded" stock out of the same stuff Ruger used for the "Boat-paddle" stocks? Too heavy when shaped in a non-skeletonize manner? They were plenty stiff for a molded stock.

Stiff by design. Going too cheap, thin, hollow, lighter than prudent along with simple indifference to what sophisticated riflemen want?

How about a midpoint (or less) Hunter upgrade (or conversion) ala Grayboe?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Many Ships and Boats are built in every area of Florida out of every conceivable Fiberglass,Carbon, Kevlar fabric in very humid conditions without issues. Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut .

"Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut."

Playfully, I'll ask if you are not actually speaking of the Super America stocks? 😛

"Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut."

Playfully, I'll ask if you are not actually speaking of the Super America stocks? 😛

No the montana stocks. The Wood stocks are fine .

No the montana stocks. The Wood stocks are fine .

Vagueness.... Referring to the so-called Super Americans without the shadowline cheek piece of old.

They didn't teach it, they changed the design and corners were cut.
Originally Posted by horse1

Oh, Stockies makes a solid stock (or did) in target (long-range) and sporter versions for the Rem 700. They're heavy, especially the target model.Tough as hell. Other than possibly one could damage the aluminum bedding block, possibly bending along the mag well, they're near enough indestructible. The sporter could easily be made slimmer and lighter than they did. They say "high-fiber composite" so possibly my suggestion if "poly" is too simplistic.. Playing around with this one on a not uber-light Mountain Rifle, it's slimmed some. Could a guy accept an some extra ounces for stiffness rather than needing a $700 stock? Some would, some won't.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'm on stock number 3 on my Kimber Montana and it finally shoots like it should have all along. Kimber was quick to replace and ship back but I had to burn alot of powder before I figured out the stock was messed up. Learned my lesson the second time at least.
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
I'm on stock number 3 on my Kimber Montana and it finally shoots like it should have all along. Kimber was quick to replace and ship back but I had to burn alot of powder before I figured out the stock was messed up. Learned my lesson the second time at least.

What made you realize the stock was bad?
Originally Posted by Wrapids

It's hard to give an injection molded stock a "fat" comb due to the likelihood of smearing as the left and right sides of the mold come apart. That's why the Hunter comb is thinner (smaller radius) than the Montana comb.

I'm a 36 year injection mold builder.
Thick sections are not a problem if a blowing agent is used but these often lead to a soft part.
This is combated by using fillers such as glass but this adds weight.
Mold design dictates thick and thin.
The thin comb of the hunter isn't on any other make of rifle. Kimber chose this...not by accident
Trying to follow Ted, if you can please elaborate? The comb is hard to make wide? I ask as the forearm is plenty wide. Or what is going on? If the comb was designed to be solid, or thick-walled, would that eaze making it wider?
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by fishermen0105

What made you realize the stock was bad?

Actions screws were really loose and the forearm tip was rubbing on the barrel if you tightened them.
Trying to follow Ted, if you can please elaborate? The comb is hard to make wide? I ask as the forearm is plenty wide. Or what is going on? If the comb was designed to be solid, or thick-walled, would that eaze making it wider?

Sorry

The comb on the Hunter is thin in comparison to the Montana or any other rifle for that matter.
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Sorry

The comb on the Hunter is thin in comparison to the Montana or any other rifle for that matter.

No sorry needed. I might best PM you. Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire