Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by MCMXI
Originally Posted by tzone
Are Montana stocks available to purchase by any chance?

I only have a few prototype 84M stocks left that were made by a US vendor to replace the Costa Rica stocks.

As many already know, Montana, Mountain Ascent, Adirondack, Subalpine and Talkeetna stocks are no longer being made in Costa Rica and haven't been for a year or so. Kimber rifle production has been shut down entirely for the last six to eight months. A new stock vendor based in the US will be making rifle stocks once they've passed the approval process. This effort was started over two years ago when I worked for Kimber and is still ongoing. The US stocks are considerably more expensive than the Costa Rica stocks so expect to see a price jump on Montana, MA, etc. On the bright side, the new stocks should be more consistent. Kimber has had to replace a lot of the Costa Rica stocks over the years due to cracking, warping, swelling, voids, loose stud mounts, recoil pads, etc.

Are any of them for sale?

Camp is where you make it.
HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Wrapids
I've had a wood stock Classic, and now have a Montana. One comment is that though the specs show the same dimensions, I suspect the Montana must have a thinner comb, as I had to add a cheek pad to raise my sight line thru the scope.

It's hard to give an injection molded stock a "fat" comb due to the likelihood of smearing as the left and right sides of the mold come apart. That's why the Hunter comb is thinner (smaller radius) than the Montana comb.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are Montana stocks available to purchase by any chance?

I only have a few prototype 84M stocks left that were made by a US vendor to replace the Costa Rica stocks.

As many already know, Montana, Mountain Ascent, Adirondack, Subalpine and Talkeetna stocks are no longer being made in Costa Rica and haven't been for a year or so. Kimber rifle production has been shut down entirely for the last six to eight months. A new stock vendor based in the US will be making rifle stocks once they've passed the approval process. This effort was started over two years ago when I worked for Kimber and is still ongoing. The US stocks are considerably more expensive than the Costa Rica stocks so expect to see a price jump on Montana, MA, etc. On the bright side, the new stocks should be more consistent. Kimber has had to replace a lot of the Costa Rica stocks over the years due to cracking, warping, swelling, voids, loose stud mounts, recoil pads, etc.

Are any of them for sale?

A couple ... PM sent.

[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another bit of Kimber history. We had a really good Director of Engineering for a while with a strong composites background, useless directors before and after, but he sent some Costa Rica stocks to a university that assessed the resins used. The results were bad, really bad. The glass transition temperature was around 95F and the conclusion was the resin never really sets. The stocks were made in Costa Rica with no atmospheric control despite high humidity (not good for resin) or even consistent time in the mold prior to being released.

[email protected]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Master Dealer was told over a year's wait on anything in the Montana lineup. This protracted delay in the move to AL will result in some market share loss as hunters move to other brands. Surely as already alluded to, there will be design changes which usually are not merited or the best and of course the price will go up a few hundred dollars.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by asheepdog
I would like to see a decent aftermarket stock for the hunters. That would make them an option for me, other then that, I’m stuck on the Montana’s.

A slim stock out of similar material as a Tikka T3X, with blind mag or drop floorplate. YRMV

Tikka stocks suck ass.

I don't agree at all, they're fairly decent in the factory offerings below premium priced composites. The material, which is the focus of my comment, is robust and consistent. Possibly the best 'poly' stock material out there I've encountered. No voids, pin holes and chit like some. I do believe it could make for a good, non detachable mag version of an 84 "economy model" or as proposed, an aftermarket conversion from detachable mag. Of course a guy could buy a Montana (someday maybe) and really have something. Can't see the point of buying a Hunter and upgrading to a Montana quality stock, unless, I suppose someone prefers the Hunter's magazines? I do not. YRMV

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Apologies for the minor derail, but, why doesn't anyone build a "molded" stock out of the same stuff Ruger used for the "Boat-paddle" stocks? Too heavy when shaped in a non-skeletonize manner? They were plenty stiff for a molded stock.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Another bit of Kimber history. We had a really good Director of Engineering for a while with a strong composites background, useless directors before and after, but he sent some Costa Rica stocks to a university that assessed the resins used. The results were bad, really bad. The glass transition temperature was around 95F and the conclusion was the resin never really sets. The stocks were made in Costa Rica with no atmospheric control despite high humidity (not good for resin) or even consistent time in the mold prior to being released.

Many Ships and Boats are built in every area of Florida out of every conceivable Fiberglass,Carbon, Kevlar fabric in very humid conditions without issues. Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by horse1
Apologies for the minor derail, but, why doesn't anyone build a "molded" stock out of the same stuff Ruger used for the "Boat-paddle" stocks? Too heavy when shaped in a non-skeletonize manner? They were plenty stiff for a molded stock.

Stiff by design. Going too cheap, thin, hollow, lighter than prudent along with simple indifference to what sophisticated riflemen want?

How about a midpoint (or less) Hunter upgrade (or conversion) ala Grayboe?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Many Ships and Boats are built in every area of Florida out of every conceivable Fiberglass,Carbon, Kevlar fabric in very humid conditions without issues. Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut .

"Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut."

Playfully, I'll ask if you are not actually speaking of the Super America stocks? 😛

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

"Someone didn't teach the workers proper technique in the process , the design was flawed or corners were cut."

Playfully, I'll ask if you are not actually speaking of the Super America stocks? 😛

No the montana stocks. The Wood stocks are fine .

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

No the montana stocks. The Wood stocks are fine .

Vagueness.... Referring to the so-called Super Americans without the shadowline cheek piece of old.

They didn't teach it, they changed the design and corners were cut.
Originally Posted by horse1

Oh, Stockies makes a solid stock (or did) in target (long-range) and sporter versions for the Rem 700. They're heavy, especially the target model.Tough as hell. Other than possibly one could damage the aluminum bedding block, possibly bending along the mag well, they're near enough indestructible. The sporter could easily be made slimmer and lighter than they did. They say "high-fiber composite" so possibly my suggestion if "poly" is too simplistic.. Playing around with this one on a not uber-light Mountain Rifle, it's slimmed some. Could a guy accept an some extra ounces for stiffness rather than needing a $700 stock? Some would, some won't.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm on stock number 3 on my Kimber Montana and it finally shoots like it should have all along. Kimber was quick to replace and ship back but I had to burn alot of powder before I figured out the stock was messed up. Learned my lesson the second time at least.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
I'm on stock number 3 on my Kimber Montana and it finally shoots like it should have all along. Kimber was quick to replace and ship back but I had to burn alot of powder before I figured out the stock was messed up. Learned my lesson the second time at least.

What made you realize the stock was bad?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrapids
I've had a wood stock Classic, and now have a Montana. One comment is that though the specs show the same dimensions, I suspect the Montana must have a thinner comb, as I had to add a cheek pad to raise my sight line thru the scope.

It's hard to give an injection molded stock a "fat" comb due to the likelihood of smearing as the left and right sides of the mold come apart. That's why the Hunter comb is thinner (smaller radius) than the Montana comb.

I'm a 36 year injection mold builder.
Thick sections are not a problem if a blowing agent is used but these often lead to a soft part.
This is combated by using fillers such as glass but this adds weight.
Mold design dictates thick and thin.
The thin comb of the hunter isn't on any other make of rifle. Kimber chose this...not by accident

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Trying to follow Ted, if you can please elaborate? The comb is hard to make wide? I ask as the forearm is plenty wide. Or what is going on? If the comb was designed to be solid, or thick-walled, would that eaze making it wider?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by fishermen0105

What made you realize the stock was bad?

Actions screws were really loose and the forearm tip was rubbing on the barrel if you tightened them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trying to follow Ted, if you can please elaborate? The comb is hard to make wide? I ask as the forearm is plenty wide. Or what is going on? If the comb was designed to be solid, or thick-walled, would that eaze making it wider?

Sorry

The comb on the Hunter is thin in comparison to the Montana or any other rifle for that matter.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Sorry

The comb on the Hunter is thin in comparison to the Montana or any other rifle for that matter.

No sorry needed. I might best PM you. Thanks.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (AnthonyB, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.