Home
I just got my new issue of Rifle Shooter magazine and they did a Big Game Rifle Roundup 2023 article. 38 different rifles in 25 cartridges from .243 to .45-70. Know how many of those rifles are chambered for the 7mm-08 this year? Two! 2 and the .308 gets 26. The 6.5 Creedmoor gets 23. Heck, even the 7mm PRC gets 9 and the old favorite .30-06 is down to only 6. I'm not liking where I see the industry heading. I've done most of my hunting with the 7mm and .30 caliber cartridges and prefer the performance on game with the 7's.
Yep. The 7mm-08 was never going to catch up to the .308 for logistics reasons but the (understandable) market acceptance of the 6.5CM as another do-it-all cartridge that is a rung below the .308 in recoil is going to continue to muscle into existing 7mm-08 territory. I have more 7mm-08 rifles than any other chambering, but I'm also a handloader. For the factory ammo guy, the 6.5CM is the better mousetrap. The number of folks that bought 7mm-08 rifles over the last 40 years will keep the ammo production alive, but it's nothing compared to .308, 6.5CM, .270, 30-06, and .243.
Try loving the .260.
I've repeatedly read that walmart is the number one ammo seller in the United States. Every time I visit a walmart I look at the ammo for sale. For at least the last 12 months they've had plenty of 6.5, 308win, 270win, and 30-06. I haven't seen 708 ammo in several years. While the 708 is a fine cartridge, we'll capable of killing anything most here hunt, it lacks general popularity. If you don't find it at walmart, you better start reloading. Excluding online ammo stores of course.
If you're seeing any difference in performance between 308 and 7-08 it is between your ears. You can make an argument that the 7-08 is better on paper. But talk about splitting hairs. With the best loads 7-08 drops 1" less at 500 yards and hits with about 35 ft lbs more energy. The 7-08 has about 1 ft lb less recoil.

I don't dislike 7-08. It certainly doesn't give up anything to 308 and is suitable for at least 95% of the hunting anywhere on the globe. I think of it as a modern 7X57.

You have to understand that hunters are no longer driving what sells. The vast majority of rifle buyers now are SHOOTERS who go through way more ammo in a year than typical hunters from the past. For those guys the reduced recoil, and costs of handloading 6.5 CM is far more important than the added power of classics like 30-06 or 270.
I'm a recent convert to the 7mm-08 (with an admitted extreme distaste for the 308). I was a bit surprised that it's nearly impossible to find decent brass for now; even Starline is only doing very limited yearly runs of 7mm-08. But, you have to figure that hunters who only hunt, and don't shoot either competitively or recreationally, may buy a box of 20 rounds every other year, if that, and drive very little of the market.

Popularity isn't a great bellwether for cartridge performance, though - 250-3000 and 257 Roberts, two of the best whitetail cartridges created, are realistically extinct in 2023.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Try loving the .260.

.... or the 222, 7x57. 300H&H or 257 Roberts. smile

It's hard to beat the 6.5CM for a deer rifle based on all practical aspects including availability.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Try loving the .260.

It's hard to beat the 6.5CM for a deer rifle based on all practical aspects including availability.
Agree.

But us Loony types will keep our old classics humming.

The crowd can go with the flow.

I like my Creed. Also like my Roberts and 7-08. WT’s can’t tell the difference, because there isn’t that much. As Stick loves to say, it’s more about the boolit than the head stamp.

To me, among those rounds and throw in a .308, the one I pick up is more about the specific rifle and how it’s set up. The one that calls loudest when I open the safe.

DF
I would say the extreme popularity of the 308 WCF is born out of the 30-06 and .30 caliber ingrained hunting mentality. This is well over 100 years of .30 caliber use. In a short action the 308 WCF is for the most part the equal to the 06 on game performance. That provides a platform that shoots 110 gr bullets at 3,400 fps and 210 gr bullets at 2,400 fps all with 1-10 twist barrel. That covers a whole lotta ground in one rifle and one chambering with ammo everywhere on every continent. Take into account every manufacturer that makes a turn bolt, magazine lever, pump rifle, semi auto and single shot rifle chambers the 308 WCF rifle.

The 7-08 Rem is a fine chamber and is possibly one of the very best to build an alpine/mountain rifle on. It certainly has the 6.5 Creedmoor beat on pure ballistics and taking heavier game, if pressed. You can’t fault the ammo makers for not providing 7-08 Rem. Like many great cartridges they are handloading propositions.
JMR40, I agree with you, in the last 10 years we have seen the 30-06 and 270 almost disappear, on our range and in our hunters hands, the 308 remains popular, and the 6.5 CM .243 are very common, and the 6CM is coming on, with modern factory ammo and bullets the smaller or lighter rifle rnds, are doing the job in the field and on the range, that the 30-06 and 270 used to do, in the last 10 years I have seen 1 7-08 and 1 25-06 on the range and in hunters hands, we take out about 150 hunters per season for Exotics, Pigs, Whitetail, some Exotics will go 600 to 800# times change and so does the hunting and shooting public.

Rio7

There's no rifle round I dislike if it goes BANG I like it.
For today's younger hunters, it seems like the .270 is almost "retro". Who'd have thought it......
Today I am heading out to shoot my recently acquired 6.5xx55, backwards I know.
April of '22 I got a BLR chambered in 7mm08 and thought I had the almost perfect combo of a 7x57 in a lever action rifle. I didn't try to buy ammo because I roll my own. I couldn't find a handload that was better than mediocre and downright sucked compared to my 7x57 so, I decided to go to town and buy some ready rolls to see if they would do better. None at Wally World, Academy, or Ammo shops, none, nodda, zip. I worked with it for a couple of more months and then sold it.
Originally Posted by SinisterLefty
I'm a recent convert to the 7mm-08 (with an admitted extreme distaste for the 308). I was a bit surprised that it's nearly impossible to find decent brass for now

.308 brass is just 7mm-08 brass wearing camouflage.

I prefer 7mm-08 but the rifle I wanted wasn't available. .308 will get the job done. The difference isn't worth the cost of a rebarrel. (Difference, IMHO, is not down-range exactly, it is in bullet selection for my applications.)
I'm glad there are still a few budget ammo options for the 7mm-08 hunters out there. Looking at Midway, 7mm-08 American Whitetail or Norma cup/core loads are only about $5 more a box than their 6.5CM counterparts. Finding them in stock at your LGS may be another story though.
Originally Posted by Joe
April of '22 I got a BLR chambered in 7mm08 and thought I had the almost perfect combo of a 7x57 in a lever action rifle. I didn't try to buy ammo because I roll my own. I couldn't find a handload that was better than mediocre and downright sucked compared to my 7x57 so, I decided to go to town and buy some ready rolls to see if they would do better. None at Wally World, Academy, or Ammo shops, none, nodda, zip. I worked with it for a couple of more months and then sold it.

Almost certainly not the fault of the cartridge.
Like many of you here. I love the 7mm-08. That won't change in the near future.
That's true mathman Joe is just another example of the crowd who still thinks they should be able to buy whatever they want, whenever they want, for how much they want to pay. Retail marketing doesn't work that way anymore..mb
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I've repeatedly read that walmart is the number one ammo seller in the United States. Every time I visit a walmart I look at the ammo for sale. For at least the last 12 months they've had plenty of 6.5, 308win, 270win, and 30-06. I haven't seen 708 ammo in several years. While the 708 is a fine cartridge, we'll capable of killing anything most here hunt, it lacks general popularity. If you don't find it at walmart, you better start reloading. Excluding online ammo stores of course.
About 10 years ago I worked in a Walmart at the Sporting Goods counter. I never saw any 7-08 ammo for sale. One of the clerks who worked in the department for 15 years never even knew what a 7-08 was.

I have always lusted over a 7-08 but I could never justify owning one. There is nothing in Iowa we can kill with it legally except for coyotes. I do own a couple of .308's but one is a military rifle. The ammo is everywhere for it. Not so for 7-08.

kwg
If you want 7mm-08 ammo, go to Scheels, not Walmart. Wally world is good for people watching and federal automatch.
Originally Posted by EdM
You got a pair of real classics. I see it didn’t take you long to remove the stock on the latest one and the maker stamp it revealed.

What a find x2.

Let us know how they shoot. My guess, about as good as they look.

DF
7mm-08 is for sissies.

P
I walked up to the finish line on a purchase of a bolt gun in 7mm-08, but asked if they also had the same model in 308 Win. I bought the 308. Don't regret a thing. That 308 win of mine bang flopped alot of deer.

I sighted in a friend and neighbors 7mm-08 rifle he won in a raffle once and he bang flopped a nice buck with it. Nothing wrong with a 7mm-08.
A survey here in the panhandle I see plenty of factory ammunition for 7mm-08. I have always wanted to like the 7mm-08 more than I actually do. I bought a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 for my brother but he has never seen it in person, I just tell him when I am hunting with his rifle.
7-08 ammo on the shelves at least 3 stores here, quite a bit !
I have a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. No need for a 7-08. I learned a long time ago to stick with popular cartridges that are easy to find ammo/components for rather than create headaches and extra expense for myself for no practical benefit. Consequently, you won't find any oddballs or also rans in my safe. There is always a popular cartridge that will cover the same ground.
I’ll just stick with my 7x57 if you don’t mind.
Originally Posted by JMR40
If you're seeing any difference in performance between 308 and 7-08 it is between your ears. You can make an argument that the 7-08 is better on paper. But talk about splitting hairs. With the best loads 7-08 drops 1" less at 500 yards and hits with about 35 ft lbs more energy. The 7-08 has about 1 ft lb less recoil.

I don't dislike 7-08. It certainly doesn't give up anything to 308 and is suitable for at least 95% of the hunting anywhere on the globe. I think of it as a modern 7X57.

You have to understand that hunters are no longer driving what sells. The vast majority of rifle buyers now are SHOOTERS who go through way more ammo in a year than typical hunters from the past. For those guys the reduced recoil, and costs of handloading 6.5 CM is far more important than the added power of classics like 30-06 or 270.

A 7-08 will squirt a .796 BC 180 at 2600fps. Drop is Physics and wind is Vudoo…while “energy” is for blue haired Cat Ladies. Hint.

Bless your heart………….
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A 7-08 will squirt a .796 BC 180 at 2600fps. Drop is Physics and wind is Vudoo…while “energy” is for blue haired Cat Ladies. Hint.

Bless your heart………….

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I have a .308 and a 6.5 Creedmoor. No need for a 7-08. I learned a long time ago to stick with popular cartridges that are easy to find ammo/components for rather than create headaches and extra expense for myself for no practical benefit. Consequently, you won't find any oddballs or also rans in my safe. There is always a popular cartridge that will cover the same ground.
As far as components, what’s hard to find with the 7/08?
SuperKchunt,

What were the fhuqking “odds”,that you needed to steal your avatar and your reply pics. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………..
A funny conversation.

I sold my 7 Rem Mags. Sold the .280AI.

Currently have 2 7x57 single shots (Dakota Model 10 and Ruger No. 1), two 7mm-08s (Ruger American and Ultra Light Arms), and one .284 Winchester (Alpha Arms Grand Slam) plus another .284 Win being built.

Yes, all those rifles push 7mm bullets at about the same speed.

No, it makes no sense.

Yes, I’d hunt any NA game animal short of brown/grizzly with them.

Good bullet. Right place. Get close.

Have fun.

Use what you like.

I love having all these options.

Bless your heart………….
You don't shoot anything that is alive over 100 yards, Little Liar Larry. And for that, a .308 with a 180 at 2700 fps out of a short action with a 3" box and a 22" barrel will be superior.
SniffleKchunt,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free, so even you can “afford” to “contribute”…you “lucky” kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………
My dad bought his first 7mm-08 in a Model 7 sometime around the late 80's/early 90's, which started my interest in the cartridge. I bought my first in a 700 Titanium around '00, and have had two more built (one on a trued 700 with a 22" Bartlein and a another on a Defiance action with a 26" Bartlein). I still see ammo for sale pretty regularly, and never pass up a chance to pick up brass when I see it decently priced. I don't hunt with the Ti as much as I used to, I'm mainly shooting the other two rifles with anything from 130gr Sierra MK's to 175gr Nosler BTHP's.

I've always liked the 7mm bullet diameter, and it seems like the bullet choices keep getting better each year.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by EdM
You got a pair of real classics. I see it didn’t take you long to remove the stock on the latest one and the maker stamp it revealed.

What a find x2.

Let us know how they shoot. My guess, about as good as they look.

DF

Should now something tomorrow with cheap S&B at this point.
Quit reading those magazines and just use what works
For me there has been really nothing offered by a mfg in 30 years that has the slightest appeal
Unless your into plastic
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Joe

Almost certainly not the fault of the cartridge.

Absolutely not the fault of the cartridge! I was commenting on the lack of factory ammo. The 7mm08 is just the short cousin of my favorite, the 7mm Mauser and I'm on the prowl for another but, not a BLR.

Bless your heart………….

Hard to argue with FACTS and facts are facts! My problem is both of mine suffer mag constraints.
Maybe they just need to change the name from 7-08 to 7 creedmore to being attention to it .

Sadly, You know it’s true!

If you had a 7mm-08, you wouldn't need both a .308 and a 6.5 Creed. grin
If you have both a 7-08 and a 308 you don't need a Creed.
For most purposes if you have any one of the three you don't need the other two.
Originally Posted by rickt300

I'd prefer the 708 or 308 if moose were involved.

I'd prefer the 708 or 308 if moose were involved.
A real Loony hates that four letter word, “need”.

DF
Try loving the .260.

Who cares what they make... as long as you can get aftermarket barrels and handload, the list of what you can shoot and hunt with gets pretty short real quick.

Hence why I call it the NeedMORE...

a 260 and a 6.5 x 55, and 6.5 x 57 fills that need more than enough.

Plus I handload ALL my ammo anyway.

Glad the Needmore is a marketing success, but doesn't mean everyone has to buy and own one or a couple of them.
If you have all three then you don’t have to worry about getting one of the three you don’t have.
308, 7-08, 260, 6.5CM - I've had all of them, and they're all great cartridges. My favorites are the 308 and 6.5CM. The trick is to find a round that "speaks" to you and stick with it. Build a hunting-life with it. For real world hunting BC minutiae is nothing more than meaningless mental masturbation. They all work the same inside 500 yards, and if you can't close the distance to that range you're not a hunter anyway.

Side note, in my part of Montana the 7-08 is scarce as a factory round, but the shelves are loaded with 308 and 6.5CM. But if the 7-08 (or 260) were what spoke to me, I wouldn't be dissuaded one bit.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
7mm-08 is for sissies.

P

That's why my wife shoots 1 & I shoot a manly .308 !

wink
A Fire contributor some time ago wrote that the 7-08 squeezed the “suck” out of the .308. I have both, like both. Not sure I agree, just remembered and passed it on.

DF
Originally Posted by Brad
The trick is to find a round that "speaks" to you and stick with it. Build a hunting-life with it.
I think a lot about this. Men like “stuff” and will forever argue and improve upon the arrow, but it is the hunts and moments that are spent that is what is important. If we were all restricted to one rifle, our hunts would be just as fondly cherished in memory.
Try loving the .260.
You got that right!
Originally Posted by smallfry
The trick is to find a round that "speaks" to you and stick with it. Build a hunting-life with it.
I think a lot about this. Men like “stuff” and will forever argue and improve upon the arrow, but it is the hunts and moments that are spent that is what is important. If we were all restricted to one rifle, our hunts would be just as fondly cherished in memory.

Agreed!
Got my first 7mm-08 in 1994. I’ve bought several more 7mm-08’s since then. Killed a bunch of critters with them also. The new “better” cartridges are taking over the market now. Ten to 15 years ago here on the fire I remember when the 7mm-08 was really popular. I bought several from individuals on this site. The 7mm-08 is still just as effective on killing game as it was 30 plus years ago. Glad I still have them and will be passing my first 7mm-08 down to my oldest son soon.

Well said smallfry, and you exactly understood my point.

+1
6.5 Creedmoor
270win
308win
30-06

These are about the most successful cartridge for a rifle. They work and ammo and components are available so it's a no brainer to go with them.

And it is a good one. Well said guys.
Over the past 20+ years I've had more than a few 7MM-08's, still have several. During that time I've had some of my most memorable hunts and most of them included carrying a 7MM-08. I like em wink
7-08 is a good effective cartridge like a lot of others that haven't been readily availible over the last 3 years.if you aren't willing to be responsible for keeping yourself well supplied with factory ammo or the components to make it for yourself why complain? Some people have complained all the time about scarce supply of their favorite ammo over the last 3 years and still have.not mended their ways. Well the ammo manufactures have learned some things too and that is just make the most popular stuff and not worry about fringe stuff. Nobody has to like it just pull their head out and understand it. I can.make do with anything but prefer to have everything I want but know better than to rely on anyone else but myself...mb
When the 7mm-08 was first announced, I called Hugh Henriksen and ordered a reamer right away. After chambering a half dozen target rifles and some hunting rifles for others, I finally got around to making one for myself. I liked it very much. As with most of my rifles, I carried it for a few years, shot some stuff with it, then rebarreled it to something else. I do not currently have one and may not ever have another (currently carrying a 7x57), but I think it is a fine cartridge. GD
Originally Posted by Teeder

If you had a 7mm-08, you wouldn't need both a .308 and a 6.5 Creed. grin
I actually don't "need" any of them. I have a perfectly good .30-06 and ain't afraid of a little recoil. I keep the .308 because it was a Christmas gift from my mom long ago. Haven't shot it in probably 15 years.
i/m one of the fringy old guys. i use 22 Hornet, 30-40 Krag (2 rifles), 7x57 (3 rifles), 8x57, 9.3x57, 7.65x53 Argentine, 30 Remington, 30 and 357 Herrett, 35/30-30 and 6.5x55.

i used to have a TC Encore with 15, 16 1/4 and 23" MGM barrels in 6.5 CM. i used to 308 Winchester, '06 (5 different rifles), 243 Winchester (4 Different rifles) and a several more.

i use Remington m7 with 18 1/2" barrels in 7-08 (3 rifles), Ruger #1 in 270 Winchester, TC Encore with 23" MGM barrels in 444 Marlin and 500 Linebaugh, Handi rifle in 45-70 and several more.

the 7x57 is an awesome cartridge. the 7-08 is a good cartridge, but it ain't a 7x57. same goes for 6.5 Creedmoor and the 260 Remington, it ain't a 6.5x55. many of "new" cartridges are just old cartridges dressed up for church.
7-08. It just works.
Big Stick says the 7mm-08 is the best thing going!
Try loving the .260.

I do and have for a long time. A couple years ago, I snagged a new 260 w/ 24 inch fluted 8 inch twist Remington 5R off Gunbroker. Last month I found another new Remington in 260 at Cabelas. It also has the 8 inch twist 5R barrel, but only 22 inches long in a MagPul stock with AICS mag.

Don't love the stock, but it was a cheap way to get into the AICS bottom metal.

A guy has to watch and jump on opportunities.

My 7-08s have come from factory take off barrels purchased from 'Fire members
I'm a recent convert to the 7mm-08 (with an admitted extreme distaste for the 308). I was a bit surprised that it's nearly impossible to find decent brass for now; even Starline is only doing very limited yearly runs of 7mm-08. But, you have to figure that hunters who only hunt, and don't shoot either competitively or recreationally, may buy a box of 20 rounds every other year, if that, and drive very little of the market.

Popularity isn't a great bellwether for cartridge performance, though - 250-3000 and 257 Roberts, two of the best whitetail cartridges created, are realistically extinct in 2023.
But 308 brass is available all over the place and easily slides through a 7-08 sizing die.
I only use my 7mm08 to shoot deer. I only shoot up about a box of 20 per year with that rifle. Last year I noticed
I was down to 3 boxes. So I started looking around for my favorite ammo. I couldn’t find it from any reputable source.
When I did I bought a 10 year supply. That and the 3 years worth I already had will pretty much get me age 73. Some where along the way from now until then I figure I will run into some more of it. So I’m not stressing about it.

I been tossing around buying a 6.5 cm as I got it in my head it would be easier to find ammo in the future. I decided it was better to worry about that when I run out of 7mm08 and cant find anymore to suit me. Funning how my brain and thought process always lead me toward buying a new rifle in a new caliber.
I like my McWhorter even more now than I did the last 10 years.......

Originally Posted by JGRaider

And it is a good one. Well said guys.

All true.

At the same time, some of us really enjoy shooting as well as hunting. The two aren't mutually exclusive. Because someone likes to shoot 2-3 times a week in the off season trying different rounds/scopes/rifles, and will or won't hunt that same equipment through the season, doesn't mean the hunts are any less to them. For me, I shoot less from Oct through Feb (hunting season) than any other time of the year. From March through Sept I shoot far more than I hunt. Nothing wrong with or lesser than for doing both.

...but I understand your sentiment.
It is a fine cartridge, but it is definitely on its way out. I suspect it will suffer the same fate as the 300 Savage.
Who cares about a popularity contest anyway. There will always be brass.
The 7-08 is a fabulous chambering – I'm partial to mine.

But the reality for business these days is that offering multiple choices reaches a point of diminishing returns. If the goal is to sell the most rifles, it makes the most sense to concentrate on the best sellers and do them really well – more streamlined process, less overhead, tooling etc.

If consumers were clamoring for it, it'd be getting chambered. Requisite for a resurgence is an ammunition manufacturer to really lean into the 7-08 and promote the szchit out of it – because (as you all know) the majority of gun owners aren't reloading and I don't see that changing.
Originally Posted by barm
It is a fine cartridge, but it is definitely on its way out. I suspect it will suffer the same fate as the 300 Savage.

And here I am with a 7mm-08 and a .300 Savage! I did make a perfectly serviceable .308 into that 7mm-08 and was in panic mode the last two years without any factory ammo available locally. Our local Fleet Farm got a bunch in this summer and I'm not getting caught short again. Pricey little boxes of ammo verses the .308's, but at least I'm set for a while. Now about those .300 Savage cartridges...
Try loving the .260.

I do!

But I was looking for a 7-08 barrel to screw unto the 725 SA, when I came up with a .260 takeoff.

Shows you how smart I am..... smile

But then, after reading in Rifle Magazine that the 25-06 was marginal for caribou, I've never given too much credence to gun articles.

I'd just shot 22 of 23 caribou bang-flop over a 2 year period with one, except for the first bull. And if I had waited 30 seconds, he would have been a one shot, tho not bang-flop.
i'm always asked "what gun do you choose for my wife, girlfriend, small children, mine or whoever else?" if that person does factory ammo, i tell them the 7-08. if that person handloads, i tell them the 7x57. i have brass galore, so my kids and their kids and their kids will use it. if your a handloader and you really need more 7-08, then you can 308 Winchester and put it into a 7-08 reloading die. the 7x57 is made from 8x57 or '06 brass.

after i gave the 7x57 to my oldest son, i used a Remington m7 (18.5" barrel, i got 2 of them for me and my youngest son) in 7-08 with IMR4320 (discontinued) and 139gr Hornday FN (discontinued), you can tell how long ago i loaded this up. i shot a number of deer with it and my youngest son has killed 5 or 6 deer. my dad (RIP) had a Remington m7 in 7-08 that has a custom stock, because the original m7 stock was too short, so he decided to make his own with a piece of Amercan Black walnut blank. (i have it now). he got the rifle when he decided that the old girl, Remington m760 in '06, was too heavy for him. anyway he loaded Federal nickel-plated brass with 139gr Hornady FN and IMR4320 that went 1/4 - 1/2" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). he shot alot of deer with the -08, but his TC Contender with a 14" muzzle brake barrel in 7-30 Waters with 115gr Speer HP and IMR4895 was his favorite (i have it now too).
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just got my new issue of Rifle Shooter magazine and they did a Big Game Rifle Roundup 2023 article. 38 different rifles in 25 cartridges from .243 to .45-70. Know how many of those rifles are chambered for the 7mm-08 this year? Two! 2 and the .308 gets 26. The 6.5 Creedmoor gets 23. Heck, even the 7mm PRC gets 9 and the old favorite .30-06 is down to only 6. I'm not liking where I see the industry heading. I've done most of my hunting with the 7mm and .30 caliber cartridges and prefer the performance on game with the 7's.
I hear you!
I have a couple 7mm-08’s and they are great. Ok, I shoot 7x57’s more but they’re two peas in a pod - ( Ijust like classics). Most of my life I carried a 30-06, primarily. But adding up the 7mm’s I’ve used probably outnumber the 30 calibers.
When I shot silhouette, it seemed everyone wanted a gun that was chambered the same as what the winner used.
I have grown to be just the opposite. I don’t own a 6.5 anything. If I were to start, it would be: 6.5 Swede, 6.5x06 or perhaps a 6.5x06AI.
It seems to me with the internet being the culprit, “oooh” I have to have a “whiz bang” just like whomever shoots and it has to have a minimum of 1 in 7” twist.

Compare an old cartridge such as a 280 Remington loaded to 65K with a 154 grain IL boat tail with the “Whiz bangs”. The differences, in my opinion isn’t worth mentioning. (You could substitute 270 or 30-06 if you want.)
On the other hand, companies are trying to sell new and exciting “Whiz Bangs” that is oh so much better.
Originally Posted by tdoyka
i'm always asked "what gun do you choose for my wife, girlfriend, small children, mine or whoever else?" if that person does factory ammo, i tell them the 7-08..
I've been asked the same many times and nowdays I usually recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor because ammo is cheap, accurate and readily available in a wide variety of bullet weights and types everywhere. It's also chambered in a wide variety of rifles to fit any budget and will kill deer just as effectively as any of the more esoteric, hard to find, more expensive to feed "cool" old has been cartridges.
i'm always asked "what gun do you choose for my wife, girlfriend, small children, mine or whoever else?" if that person does factory ammo, i tell them the 7-08. if that person handloads, i tell them the 7x57. i have brass galore, so my kids and their kids and their kids will use it. if your a handloader and you really need more 7-08, then you can 308 Winchester and put it into a 7-08 reloading die. the 7x57 is made from 8x57 or '06 brass.

My answer to that question (if they're shooting factory ammo) is always 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 or .270.
Originally Posted by SKane

My answer to that question (if they're shooting factory ammo) is always 6.5 Creedmoor, .308 or .270.
Same here

Same here. And those three happen to be my favorite cartridges.
Try loving the .260.

Or the 8x57, and 338-06. Lots of fantastic cartridges out there that will forever be overshadowed and even living on the edge of obscurity. That being said a handloader will always keep himself in readily available ammo for the cartridges he loves.
i'm always asked "what gun do you choose for my wife, girlfriend, small children, mine or whoever else?" if that person does factory ammo, i tell them the 7-08..
I've been asked the same many times and nowdays I usually recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor because ammo is cheap, accurate and readily available in a wide variety of bullet weights and types everywhere. It's also chambered in a wide variety of rifles to fit any budget and will kill deer just as effectively as any of the more esoteric, hard to find, more expensive to feed "cool" old has been cartridges.

i went thru the 6.5 CM phase (TC Encore with 15, 16 1/4 and 23" MGM barrels) and it is number 2 on my rifle list. the 6.5x55 is for reloaders. my youngest son has a "16 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 and 120gr Nosler BT and i forget the name of powder but it goes 3/4 - 1 1/4" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). it has a Numrich barrel, which surprised me because it is accurate.

i haven't priced factory ammo for years, '06 180gr Remington RN ammo was about $20. it was $15 and then i decided i would like to handload. the '06 ammo was $10 or 11 for a long time. also the 30-30 ammo was $7 or 8 and now i don't know. the last time i bought 22 lr it was $16/500 rounds. my dad (RIP) and i bought 5000 rounds each and i still have them. i use a 20 Vartarg (221 Rem Fireball necked down to .204") and 34gr Midway/Midsouth HP with Reloder 7 for all of plinking/groundhog/'yotes, foxes and other vermin needs.
A lot of the 6.5 CM owners are coming out of the closet. 6.5 CM pride.
Originally Posted by JPro
For today's younger hunters, it seems like the .270 is almost "retro". Who'd have thought it......

I am OK with “Retro”. .270, .300H&H, 7x57, and a boring old .30-06.
Originally Posted by Orion2000

I am OK with “Retro”. .270, .300H&H, 7x57, and a boring old .30-06.
Difference between us Loonies and the deer hunter who makes a box of ctgs last several hunting seasons.

DF
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

It's time you and every other swingin' dick just accept it for what it is - a very capable and tremendously popular chambering.
Is 6.5cm pride similar to gay pride? Just kidding.

It's time you and every other swingin' dick just accept it for what it is - a very capable and tremendously popular chambering.

A .697 BC at 2700fps,really upsets the cart and is a bitter pill for Couchbound Karens. Hint………
Laffin'.....Yep.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Is 6.5cm pride similar to gay pride? Just kidding.
Nah, pride, just not gay.

Seems there are two types here on the Fire, Creed owners and those who would like to have one but just can’t admit it.

Of course denial takes its toll. Other than being a big river in Africa, (da Nile). But, it’ll all be OK.

As far as the Creed, success is its own reward. Can’t deny the obvious. It is what it is.

DF

A lot of people that don't know schit about rifles or shooting are showing it...

Pride here. It works….still looking for the one that doesn’t shoot well.
at first, there was no 6.5CM to be found (i think it was 2008 or '09). so i did the next best thing, 22-250 brass. all i did is put the 22-250 brass into a 6.5CM reloading die and Waa Laa, a 6.5/22-250 case. it's overall length was short (i think it .2 or .02" short of what a true 6.5CM is), but it werked. i didn't do it, but 308 Winchester case is used too. i "think" the 308 case is cut down and put it into a 6.5CM die, but i'm not sure. i finally bought 6.5CM Hornady cases in 2012 or '13. then i believe Lapua did them the next year or so. then the floodgates opened and everybody (Rem, Win, Federal, Nosler...) had the cases and factory ammo. i kept fooling and hunting with it, but i got bored and i sold the barrels off.

i got nuthin bad to say about the 6.5CM. it did everything i wanted it to do and i killed deer with it. people used to say the 6.5CM was a flash in the pan, but 15 or so years later, the 6.5CM is still there.

But still irrelevant to anyone with an 8 inch twist 260 Rem equipped with a 2.950 inch binderless mag.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

But still irrelevant to anyone with an 8 inch twist 260 Rem equipped with a 2.950 inch binderless mag.

Remington dropped the ball on not advertising the 260 Remington. Hornady did, now everybody (Remington, TC, Ruger...) has the 6.5CM. the 260 Remington is a great cartridge, but unfortunately it is a small club that are rooting for it. i personally know of one 260 Rem and he is my neighbor.

I've got nothing against 6.5 CM owners. So long as they wear their rainbow camo when out hunting...in case they try to strike up a "friendship".

And....vice versa. The 260 Rem is pretty much irrelevant nowadays anyway.

No flies on the .260 Remington at all. But even the company that brought the .260 to market has given up on it. smile
The 6.5 Creedmoor sure as hell isn't magic but, damn, talk about an easy button for all levels of shooters.

Remington dropped the ball on not advertising the 260 Remington. Hornady did, now everybody (Remington, TC, Ruger...) has the 6.5CM. the 260 Remington is a great cartridge, but unfortunately it is a small club that are rooting for it. i personally know of one 260 Rem and he is my neighbor.

I never did depend on advertising to tell me what I liked.

Remington did build properly equipped 260s with 8 twist barrels. I have two rifles so equipped. I used a Kreiger barrel to get 8 inch twist on a Ruger 77 MK all weather in 260, the other MK II all weather is still in factory form.

I never did depend on advertising to tell me what I liked.

Remington did build properly equipped 260s with 8 twist barrels. I have two rifles so equipped. I used a Kreiger barrel to get 8 inch twist on a Ruger 77 MK all weather in 260, the other MK II all weather is still in factory form.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Remington did build properly equipped 260s with 8 twist barrels.

Didn't they arrive a bit late to the party?
I shoot 264 Kreed,260 and 260 AI in Custom spouts wearing AICS binderless mags. Hint.

Pass the Kreed and hold the Fluff. Hint………….

No flies on the .260 Remington at all. But even the company that brought the .260 to market has given up on it. smile
The 6.5 Creedmoor sure as hell isn't magic but, damn, talk about an easy button for all levels of shooters.
That “company” is famous for mucking up a list of good rounds.

But that other company didn’t mess up the Creed. They rolled it out after careful research, supported it with good ammo, listened to shooters.

Green missed that boat/opportunity more than once.

DF

A .697 BC at 2700fps,really upsets the cart and is a bitter pill for Couchbound Karens. Hint………
The 6.5CM is at the confluence of a great number of human factors.

Yep, it’s the whole package, good round, well supported with good ammo, inexpensive rifles that shoot bug hole groups. What’s not to like, especially for the casual shooter who doesn’t reload.

Even the hard care Loony has to admit it’s a better mouse trap. I guess the Creed is too easy, too complete a package for the Loony, who loves to travels a more challenging and tortuous road.

DF

They arrived WAY late in migrating to 8-twist barrels. But even then, what good was that mag box is factory guise?

They arrived WAY late in migrating to 8-twist barrels. But even then, what good was that mag box is factory guise?
They late more times than not.

Long list of blunders.

DF

When I first started hunting deer in Alabama 20 years ago all the old guys who were from there used 260s. Honestly I had never even heard of
it. I was as aware of all the chambering back then. I lived in a world of 243, 270 and 30-06 hunters. When I got home I researched the 260 and I remember I thought to myself , wow, those old guys know what they need. I thought it would be tough to locate ammo for a 260 but so I figured a 7mm08 would be close and ammo easier for me to get. So I went route. Now that I can afford stock up on ammo when its available ammo isnt as much of concern.
There’s no good Factory ammo for any of those chamberings. Hint.

The 264 Kreed trumps them all,over the counter . Hint………
7mm-08 and other calibers like 300 H&H will continue to decline in popularity because old timers that either grew up with them or were there as with 7mm-08 when it was first introduced are dying off. New generation is attracted to new shiny calibers.
Funny enough, at 53, I am a huge 7x57 fan. I never had an itch for 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM for that matter. 7x57 can do it all, and as a reloader's proposition, can be loaded hotter than 308 and softer than 243. Huge versatility. It's history also keeps it interesting. If you don't reload, yeah, pick up a 308 or 6.5 CM.

The newest chamberings in my locker are 243 (1955) and 308 (1952). The rest are old designs that work well for me: 8x57, 7x57, 45-70, 7.62x39, 22LR etc.
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Funny enough, at 53, I am a huge 7x57 fan. I never had an itch for 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM for that matter. 7x57 can do it all, and as a reloader's proposition, can be loaded hotter than 308 and softer than 243. Huge versatility. It's history also keeps it interesting. If you don't reload, yeah, pick up a 308 or 6.5 CM.

The newest chamberings in my locker are 243 (1955) and 308 (1952). The rest are old designs that work well for me: 8x57, 7x57, 45-70, 7.62x39, 22LR etc.

i use the 500 Linebaugh which was first designed in the late '80s (i'm thinking of '87, but i'm not sure) is my newest. then it is a 7-08 or 30 and 357 Herrett (1972). i was 45+/-yo when i decided to give up all of my "plastic" rifles and buy wood and blued steel rifles. 22 Hornet, 444 Marlin, 7.65x53 Argentine, 7x57, 8x58, 9.3x57, 6.5 and 7.35 Carcano, 6.5x55, 45-70, 30-40 Krag, 30 Remington and the one '06 (Arisaka type 99). oh, the newest chambering is a 20 Vartarg (221 Rem Fireball necked down to .204", it was in 2000-10's).

i love 7x57 since i was 13 or 14yo. i was out in the woods and it was buck season. i heard a bang off to my side. i waited for 10 - 15 minutes and then i ambled on over. i came to 6 pt who was field dressed and a guy wiping off blood from his hands. we got to talking and i says, what did you get him with? he goes the 7mm Mauser (which was a Ruger #1) and 175gr RN (i think it was a factory load, Remington?). well, the rifle and the cartridge stuck to me and i always wanted to have them. still do, even tho i own a Ruger #1 in 270 Win. when i was 22ish yo, i and my gunsmith did a FN 98 Mauser action, with a Timney trigger, D&T for a scope mount, bend the bolt handle, Fajen synthetic wood stock, 3-9x Swift and a 20" Douglas featherweight barrel in 7x57. i loaded up up 139gr Hornay FN with IMR4320 and it went to 1/4 -1/2" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). i took her out that year and i got a 22pt......honest, i did. well, it was small 6pt with little nubs that could hold a wedding ring. i gave it to my family and friends and told them what is it? i got 6 to 22 points. i still have it ......somewhere? anyway, i can't remember the number of deer i have killed with it, but the time came to give it to my oldest son. he was 16 or 17yo when he had a growing spurt. 5' nothing to 6'1". he continues to kill deer with the 7 Mauser.
There’s no good Factory ammo for any of those chamberings. Hint.

The 264 Kreed trumps them all,over the counter . Hint………
For sure.

DF
Never hunt with caliber younger than you..
New generation is attracted to new shiny calibers.

I don't think its as much that as it is simple availability.
Combine the fact that the Creed is a great design and well executed, with the fact that it was the only thing you could find in rifles and ammo, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy that it has become so popular.

I love the 7mm-08, but if I was starting out new and not up to my ears I'm 7-08 components, I'd be getting a creed.
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
If ya really old, that cuts out way too many rounds.

DF

DF

Could Ingwe still use a 7x57?
I'm a recent convert to 7mm-08.

I've been dealing with the component shortage by converting 308 WIN brass. I can get 1 MOA or better out of freshly converted brass, so I'm not too worried. Yeah, it starts out a tad short, but it grows with age.

I just anneal first and then use powdered mica as a lubricant--all done in one pass.
I hope that the local farm store ammunition buyer has seen the error in his ways by now. I caught him in the ammo isle this spring stocking shelves with the common stuff. (yawn) I asked him where all the 7mm-08 ammo was and he said that he’d hardly ever heard of it. Well, they got some 7mm-08 ammo in during June, but this week there is still two shelves full of .308 ammo and not a single box of 7mm-08 ammo anywhere in the store. Now I’m reluctant to shoot up what have. If I hadn’t sprung for a Shilen match grade 7mm barrel, I might think about a new chambering barrel swap.
Originally Posted by shaman

I've been dealing with the component shortage by converting 308 WIN brass. I can get 1 MOA or better out of freshly converted brass, so I'm not too worried. Yeah, it starts out a tad short, but it grows with age.

I just anneal first and then use powdered mica as a lubricant--all done in one pass.

A lot of people convert 308 brass without issue. Even so, make sure you have sufficient neck clearance with your converted brass.

I've loaded for two 7mm-08 rifles, both factory chambered Remingtons. Neither one had sufficient neck clearance with a couple of 308 brass types in my inventory.
Haven't noticed any component shortage for any of my 7-08 stuff.

Assume you all are talking about brass only?
Ammo is strange now. lots of 6.5 CM, 308, some of the magnums but no .30-30s! Never thought I would see the day.

DF

Could Ingwe still use a 7x57?
He may have to revert to black powder.

DF
Ammo is strange now. lots of 6.5 CM, 308, some of the magnums but no .30-30s! Never thought I would see the day.
My LGS had a pile of Federal .30-30 on the shelf last week. Targetsports shows both Federal and Hornady in stock presently.

DF
Yeah that's just stupid talk. I'm not exactly ancient but would have to give up my .223 and .22-250 along with my Creed and that ain't happening.

I've seen more 30-30 boxes on the shelves now than I have in years. Hell, even walmart had some on sunday and plenty of it.

That’s some of the dumbest fhuqking schit,I’ve ever heard. Hint………..

Be nice young man.
Originally Posted by tzone

I've seen more 30-30 boxes on the shelves now than I have in years. Hell, even walmart had some on sunday and plenty of it.
Around here the 30-30 isn't all that popular. I haven't been in a WM for over a year to see what they have and the shops I use generally have just a fee boxes. All of my CF ammo is handmade so I don't pay much attention to what most stores have for ammo selection.

Of about 20 people I associate with that do a lot of hunting I can only think of 2 that have a 30-30. One uses his for all of his hunting and the other 30-30 sits in a closet and the guy uses his 270 for all of his hunting.
The only 6.5 I ever messed with was a 6.5x54 MS carbine. Took quite a dew deer with it. Some lowlife stole it back in 1975 from my truck in Elko Nevada. I never found a replacement and the rifle was never recovered.

I played a bit with the 7x57 back in 1973 but sold it off after losing a deer on opening day. Found what the coyotes left the following day by the birds.
I went back to the 30-06 until I decided the rifle was too damned heavy to be lugging around at 9,000 foot MSL mountain tops and bought a Remington 660 in .308 in 1973. I used it until roughly 1982, give or take a year when I bought a Ruger M77 RSI in .308. Once I got it shooting well it served for all my deer hunting until I started elk hunts when I went back to the 06, then a .300 Win. Mag.
I think it was around 1985 I picked up a Winchester M70 FWT in 7x57 so started working with that one. A friend on another site was getting some good velocity using RL17 so started playing with that and 150 gr. Partitions. Before that I'd worked up a load with Ballistic Tips but they were the early thin skinned bullets and it cost me a deer.

My only experience with the 7-08 was a student from my Hunter Ed class was at the range sighting in a Remington M7 and needed help. I got to do the the job of getting it sighted in and let him shoot for the final adjustments. Nice rifle but no better or no worse than what my handloads do in my 7x57.

FWIW I guess is ever since I got interested in shooting, I've run almost all handloaded ammo. I do 't think I can remember any game I might have killed with a factory load. If I have done so, it would have been in the late 1950s to early 1960s. These days, if I do shoot the 7x57, it will be with handloads and most likely loaded with 7-08 data. Those loads shoot well in my M70, Ruger #1 and a custom based on an FN Mauser action. What's not to like?
PJ
Originally Posted by Raferman

Be nice young man.

He ain't wrong. grin grin

To be fair, one can hardly fault Remington for originally putting the 260 in a standard short action and mag box, with 10 inch twist It was perfectly suitable for the ammunition available at the time.

My latest Remington factory rifle (in 260), purchased NIB at Cabelas last month is equipped with AICS mag. The previous Rem 700 in 260 also came with 8 inch twist, but typical BDL bottom metal. I converted it and added an Accurate mag box. Not a big deal.

But I suspect both of these rifles were built before or very early as the Creedmoor craze took off. And before the customer base recognized their capabilities.

Many cartridge developments, as with other consumer items, are fully dependent upon fortuitous timing of release. Even the 6.5 Creed faltered for many, many years, less popular than the 260 until the market evolved to take advantage of its capabilities.

In 1997, the market for tacticool was limited to those actually in the business, and a very few wanna bees.
Weren't original Remingron 260s a 9 twist?

Probably fine for up to 140 non slick bullets.
I am fairly certain my Ruger Mk IIs were originally 1/10. And to my knowledge Remington originally used 1/10, then switched to 1/9 sometime later. Though I am not certain what those dates might be.
And to my knowledge Remington originally used 1/10, then switched to 1/9 sometime later. Though I am not certain what those dates might be.

That's my understanding as well, then the last number of years of existence 1:8.
Originally Posted by Windfall
I hope that the local farm store ammunition buyer has seen the error in his ways by now. I caught him in the ammo isle this spring stocking shelves with the common stuff. (yawn) I asked him where all the 7mm-08 ammo was and he said that he’d hardly ever heard of it. Well, they got some 7mm-08 ammo in during June, but this week there is still two shelves full of .308 ammo and not a single box of 7mm-08 ammo anywhere in the store. Now I’m reluctant to shoot up what have. If I hadn’t sprung for a Shilen match grade 7mm barrel, I might think about a new chambering barrel swap.

I could go to Fleet Farm right now and buy 20 boxes each of 4 different manufactures of ammo.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by tzone

Around here the 30-30 isn't all that popular. I haven't been in a WM for over a year to see what they have and the shops I use generally have just a fee boxes. All of my CF ammo is handmade so I don't pay much attention to what most stores have for ammo selection.

Of about 20 people I associate with that do a lot of hunting I can only think of 2 that have a 30-30. One uses his for all of his hunting and the other 30-30 sits in a closet and the guy uses his 270 for all of his hunting.

I don't know too many that use it either. I picked it up last year. But finding ammo for it isn't hard.
Try loving the .260.

I have no problem loving the 260 chambered rifles I have...

Plenty of 6.5 mm bullets available. and plenty of free brass laying on the ground at my local range...

so it sez 308 on the bottom, it necks down to 260 in one pass, and I also don't own a 308 that I'd get confused with it.

for the handloader NONE of any of this is a problem, unless we are talking big african hunting calibers..

Haven't picked up much 375 H & H brass in years....
.260 is a great round. Period. Folks whine about the twist, bum factory ammo, wrong mag box, pick another, etc. It does it’s job. If you want to shoot critters at 500 yards and can’t get it done with let’s say a 140 Accubond is it really the .260 headstamp or the factory rifle? Or maybe you.

Why the "extreme distaste for the 308"?
It's easy to have a love/hate relationship with the .308. It's accurate and the easy button, but looking at its ballistics etc it seems not that great. Take the 150 grain projectile for example. It has mediocre sectional density, relatively low b.c. and just moderate velocity...yet it works so well on deer size game. Take the 180 grain projectile. It has good sectional density of .271 but low velocity and relatively low b.c. struggling to get around a G1 of .520 - but if you can seat long around 2.9" and get around 2700 fps it works outstanding on large critters up to 300 yards. And then there's the 165 grain bullet which is a compromise in everything between 150 and 180...and that works well too. So you hate the .308 (theoretically) and love it (in practice) at the same time.
Pass the 7-08 and .796 BC 180’s at 2600fps,while you Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
The 7-08 180 grain .796 BC bullet will not have the close to mid-range terminal performance on big tough critters, that a well-constructed (but lower BC) 180 grain .308 bullet will have.
Your pointy head and crossed eyes are taking you places that don’t exist. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud,about wares you never have or never will see,let alone shoot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
The 7-08 180 grain .796 BC bullet will not have the close to mid-range terminal performance on big tough critters, that a well-constructed (but lower BC) 180 grain .308 bullet will have.

On paper it does though. That's all that matters to the virtual shooter, Larry one note.

Keep Pretending aloud,about wares you never have or never will see,let alone shoot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
If you were honest (which you aren't), you would admit that virtually all the game that you shoot is at close to mid-range. And this is the case with most hunters. It is therefore better for most hunters to have a rifle/cartridge/bullet combination that is optimized for close to medium range hunting rather than 600 yard hunting...unless a person is in the minority and does do a lot of hunting at that distance.
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies and you are welcome to your Pretendathon. You two CLUELESS Crying Kchunts bolted together,couldn’t summons a Dead Critter pic. Hint.

Bless your hearts for crying.

Deer Season opened 3 days ago. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
If you were honest (which you aren't), you would admit that virtually all the game that you shoot is at close to mid-range. And this is the case with most hunters. It is therefore better for most hunters to have a rifle/cartridge/bullet combination that is optimized for close to medium range hunting rather than 600 yard hunting...unless a person is in the minority and does do a lot of hunting at that distance.

Liar Larry being honest?, hahaha. That's farqueen hillariass. The brokeback swamp gnome has more posts than primers fired. Hint. LOL. Spends his days with every member here in his head, as seen by endless files of ad nauseum cut and paste, and the same drunken blather. Proof is in the pudding, and there is a mountain of pudding.
The ignore feature really cleans up the threads he tries to pollute.

With all his long range "prowess", he should be over on the Long Range hunting forum site extolling all his magnificient virtues and knowledge. Oh, that's right, they booted his ass for being a fraud and a troll.

Not sure which is more hilarious- His mad scrambling for the next reply or the few who thinks he has one iota of credibility.
KenBitchAgain,

Be sure to keep extolling your very WELL founded and countless Insecurities,as you reiterate that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pardon wares that exist,as you Pretend aloud and "live" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
I read half of the first page, so I’m not totally up to date on this post but I really do like the 7mm-08 and recently bought as a gift for a young man. I couldn’t for the life of me find factory ammo, so I busted out a bunch of reloads. I told him if he finds ammo, buy it. Great caliber, but man I thought it was more popular than it is.

We will be really pissed if they ever chamber a 7mm Creedmoor in a factory rifle. It’ll probably take off like hot cakes. Lol… it’ll be my luck. Lol!

It would probably shoot like a house on fire though!
The fhuqking HORROR! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
I am plagued by cartridges that become obsolete!

I started off on the true path in the early 70s when I bought my first rifle at 17 years old - a converted Mauser with a California-style Fajen stock in the great .270 Win!

The terrible military trigger and excess weight of the contraption, however, led me to lust for a lighter and slimmer rifle that used the most modern and cutting-edge cartridge of the time - a .284 Winchester! I ended up with a Ruger 77 flat-bolt in that chambering that was just excellent. A Weaver 4x scope set me up in gun looney heaven!

I realize now that if I had just stuck with the .284 and picked up a Lee Loader, some 140-150gr Nosler Partitions and a pound of 4831, I could have hunted anything I've ever pursued for the last 50 years with perfect happiness. But I didn't reload (my hunting mentor said, "That's dangerous!") and the growing cost + non-availability of the ammo led me to trade it off.

I subsequently grabbed a 7mm Mauser housed in another Ruger 77 rifle, but was frustrated with its lack of accuracy (3-5" at 100 yards). Apparently Ruger was having problems with a long run of bad barrels, and when I sent it back to them they tested it at 50 yards, achieved a 2" group, and said that it met their standards. Down the road it went.

I jumped to the .257 Roberts (again in a Ruger 77) because of gunwriter affection and being assured that it "punches above its weight" - but lost affection for it almost immediately when I hit a Mule Deer 3 times just behind the shoulder in a group I could cover with my hand - and it kept going. The deer eventually dropped, but my confidence in the cartridge was shot.

Went to the 25-06 and loved it. Dropped a nice antelope at just over 300 yards with one shot - a 20-yard death sprint and it was all over. However, the dream of hunting elk in an age that taught that a 300 Win Mag was the minimum for going after the great beast cancelled this nice Marlin XS-7 and turned my head toward a 30-06 (I wasn't THAT dumb!). I traded the Marlin to a friend.

The 30-06 with 165gr Barnes TTSX was my do-it-all rifle - and still is. With a full-length bedded B&C synthetic stock, gunsmith-lightened trigger, Ceracote on the metal and a Leupold fixed M8 6X scope, I was sure I would never need another rifle.

Never, that is, until I tore the rotator cuff in my shooting shoulder - twice.

That prompted the acquisition of a 250-3000 in a Savage 99. I'm not sure which model it was, but it had a 20" barrel and a uncomfortably short stock. Not being drilled and tapped for a scope added to my unease with the rifle, even though it shot as soft as a sweet dream. Scarcity of ammo finished it off.

Finally, I bought a rifle chambered in the cartridge that was perfect for me - the 7mm-08! That Tikka T3 stainless with a Weaver Grand Slam was accurate, light, easy to hit with and soft-shooting enough that it didn't hurt my shoulder. A 3,000 fps 120-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was simply excellent at short and long range for antelope and deer, while a 140gr Barnes TTSX at 2860fps was enough to put the hurt on any elk I'd ever come across.

And now you're telling me the 7mm-08 is fading away!

.284 Win, .257 Roberts, 250-3000 and 7mm-08 - I have a long history of falling in love with cartridges that don't last.
77's are too short for a 284 Win,with anything resembling a decent bullet. Hint.

They are also too short for a Bob,despite there being no good bullets available to it. Hint.

Teeker fhuqks up 7-08 RPM,even though they are an '06 length receiver,so are yet another Goat Fhuqk by default. Hint.

Salvage badly botched RPM in the 250-3000 too. Hint.

Congratulations?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
I think you missed the point, Stick. I wasn't asking for comments on the ballistic potential of any of those cartridges.
Yep. The 7mm-08 was never going to catch up to the .308 for logistics reasons but the (understandable) market acceptance of the 6.5CM as another do-it-all cartridge that is a rung below the .308 in recoil is going to continue to muscle into existing 7mm-08 territory. I have more 7mm-08 rifles than any other chambering, but I'm also a handloader. For the factory ammo guy, the 6.5CM is the better mousetrap. The number of folks that bought 7mm-08 rifles over the last 40 years will keep the ammo production alive, but it's nothing compared to .308, 6.5CM, .270, 30-06, and .243.

Pretty good summation of the situation I think. Both the 7-08 and CM have roots in competition, but when’s the last time you read about silhouette shooting, aside from the punkin-chucking version? I always admired the 7-08, and a pal has one of the first Kevlar M7s, but can’t honestly recall ever seeing one on the shelf, ever. 7x57s have been almost abundant by comparison. I remain happily in the .308 camp with piles of suitable bullets, brass, and powder, and the 7 doesn't offer a thing over its Mama at woods ranges. Those who like it and shoot factory ammo might want to think about squirreling some away for the inevitable.

Sta Ball 6.5 gives it a pretty good boost, according to the Hodgdon data.
Originally Posted by czech1022
I think you missed the point, Stick. I wasn't asking for comments on the ballistic potential of any of those cartridges.

"Thinking" isn't your long suit. Hint.............
Originally Posted by czech1022

haha... Poor lying Larry one note. Fires far more posts than primers. Hint.
KenBitchAgain,

It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it as you MUST,while "living" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Sorting through mail now,trying to find the Atlas bipod and spigot for my AI/AT. Google as you must. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Originally Posted by ChanceD
I read half of the first page, so I’m not totally up to date on this post but I really do like the 7mm-08 and recently bought as a gift for a young man. I couldn’t for the life of me find factory ammo, so I busted out a bunch of reloads. I told him if he finds ammo, buy it. Great caliber, but man I thought it was more popular than it is.

We will be really pissed if they ever chamber a 7mm Creedmoor in a factory rifle. It’ll probably take off like hot cakes. Lol… it’ll be my luck. Lol!

It would probably shoot like a house on fire though!
Never knew a 7-08 wasn't popular.
7mm-08 is for pussies.

P
7mm-08 is for pussies.

P

It's stumpies favorite. Lol. More posts than primers liar Larry
Found the Atlas and spigot in the Mail,all of which is Skookum +P+. Need to swap to my new Imac,so am burning the newest 4000+ LR images to a 8TB hard drive and then will go for the swap. Should allow me time to pull the Puked LW's off the KS and go 410600 there. Have a new S/S 700 270 in an Outlander,that needs 1" DNZ's and a Reupold 1" 6x peeled. 2-12x BTR Gen2 Mil/Mil for both,ala 410's. Then I need to stab new guts in a Winny Krassick 338-06 AI and stretch COAL,to meld throat geometry,for 250 Skinner Smooches. Had forgotten about the Swiffer Sale on 5-20xHD Lit Bitches and have box of them to distribute. Hopefully,the newest 7-08 barrel arrives and it'd be nice if my AI/AT 6 Dasher spout showed up. Hint.

Deer Season opened 4 days ago and I should go gather fresh backstraps for Supper and make a cast or two. Hint.

You gals keep Pretending aloud and doing your best. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
7mm-08 is for pussies.

P
Several of us in that crowd!!😉😉
A guy with hundreds of rifles states that is deer season, and instead of hunting he's working on more rifles.

No "wonder" you Brokedick Crying Kchunts MUST "live" vicariously. Hint.

Deer Season only goes for 160 days,84 off which I'm off. Hit the porch yesterday and it generally takes a day to sort Mail and Rig Up new wares. At least you can afford to steal pics,as you fill out Hurt Feeler Reports and wax eloquent on your very WELL founded Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Electronic Hurt Feeler Reports Filed Here

It is Fascinatingly HILARIOUS,just how badly you Crying Karen Melting Snowflakes NEED your Imagination and Pretend,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon reality,as you Google aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
I hope it wasn't too hard dragging all your stuff in from the porch.

Post a pic from today fat ass, not the 80's
I reckon it is plum disconcerting for you,that Puberty never hit,a mustache is out of the question,your Brokedick "job" is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you can't afford a camera or a hat,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Mail can be cumbersome. Hint.

Wax eloquent on how many times a day you think about me,the durations of same and the Sweet "Satisfactions" in being forced economically to steal pictures. Hint.

So, you don't wanna show off a recent pic with your 4 chins. I completely understand.

😉
Your Wanton Man Lust is funnier than fhuqk,but Emoji's are free,so even a Whining Brokedick like YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart and ALL of those Insecurities.

Hint.

Stick, we're talking about a 24HC Perry trip. Seeing as you're, as you put it, "the best rifle shot you've ever seen," you should come.

My coat from the early 2000's still fits. 😉

Oh, and nice sausage fingers fatass
Your Wanton Man Lust is funnier than fhuqk,but Emoji's are free,so even a Whining Brokedick like YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart and ALL of those Insecurities.

Hint.

Some schitty pics there. You might be able to hit one of the close ones.
Liar Larry is in to the virtual competitions. You know, the fairyland imagination and pretend. Where big numbers like OAL and BC are "winners".

When you have no virtue, you have to settle for virtual. Laffin.
Hoalie,

The crossed-eyes,pointy head and drooling spittle reinforce your very WELL founded Insecurities,exceptionally...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What were the "odds" of my anatomy horning you up,as you Dream aloud with your trembling Lady Fingers. Hint.

You are an Estrogen Fueled Moth,powerless in the refrain of The Flame and your taste in men,can't be slighted. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend and Emoji's are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Hoalie,

The crossed-eyes,pointy head and drooling spittle reinforce your very WELL founded Insecurities,exceptionally...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

What were the "odds" of my anatomy horning you up,as you Dream aloud with your trembling Lady Fingers. Hint.

You are an Estrogen Fueled Moth,powerless in the refrain of The Flame and your taste in men,can't be slighted. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination,Pretend and Emoji's are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

That was a really long way for a man of your means and time off work to say that you have zero interest in going to Perry to back up your bragging with some shooting.

I'm shocked. (Not really)
Hoalie,

It's pretty mean of you to tease me about only having 29 weeks of paid vacation a year,as you save for your first camera...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Please keep extolling your very WELL founded Insecurities,not that they could be stopped. Hint.

Originally Posted by goalie
A guy with hundreds of rifles states that is deer season, and instead of hunting he's working on more rifles.

Or more likely again blowing smoke, recycling worn out pictures, and looking in the mirror pretending to be something.

More posts than primers fired and all of them pure BS. Lol.

Ain't easy being liar Larry, and keeping a data file of everyone on the fire to cut and paste from.
Almost would seem that the brokeback swamp isn't such a "paradise".
Lol
So, is that a no? You've got all that money and time off. No excuses, per yourself. You really should come down and amaze everyone with you rifle shooting.
KenBitchAgain,

You and Hoalie should join "forces",so as to keep things "fair",you Magnificently CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Few things funnier in The Outdoors,than Minnesota and Michigan,no wonder you Brokedick Crying Kchunts MUST "live" vicariously. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts.

Hint.

So, is that a no? You've got all that money and time off. No excuses, per yourself. You really should come down and amaze everyone with you rifle shooting.

He got tired of finding liars to sign his group pictures, I am sure he can amaze himself somehow.
You Three Whining CLUELESS Brokedicks are a fhuqking hoot...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep stealing pics and "living" vicariously ladies,despite it being your only "move". Gettin' close. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts,for doing your best.

Hint.

So, is that a no? You've got all that money and time off. No excuses, per yourself. You really should come down and amaze everyone with your rifle shooting.

I feel like you're avoiding the question. Maybe stop being a huge vagina and just say no???

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
All talk, zero action, liar Larry.

Must be about time to fire up the 12" Homelite and get hard charging on firewood.
Ha ha ha nailed it.
Transfer finally complete,so I can upload via LR,as you gals "flaunt" your Imaginations and Pretend...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Had forgotten that I'd ordered from B&T directly,as I get so much stuff from SAC,that things start to blur. At least you ladies can "afford" Emoji's. Hint.

Please keep extolling your countless very WELL founded Insecurities and I'll happily fuel same,with wares that exist. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) hearts,for doing your best with your "means" and "abilities".

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
So, is that a no? You've got all that money and time off. No excuses, per yourself. You really should come down and amaze everyone with your rifle shooting.

I feel like you're avoiding the question. Maybe stop being a huge vagina and just say no???

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
The Atlas is exceptionally sound and the AI spigot a given,as Estrogen Fueled Moths hit The Flame...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Given the mass of the 24" AT,recoil is nil with 147 Smooches at 2750fps and the Atlas will of course nip more by default. Hint.

How come my words are so powerful,that Brokedick Puppets dance endlessly? HINT.

Bless their poor poor(literally) hearts.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Got that right.
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies and rest ASSURED,that Texans fhuqk that up with unerring reliability. Hint.

What do you "hard chargers" shoot in your 7-08's and 308's,that will "upset" a 264 Kreed. Dangle pics for MAXIMUM fhuqking oblivious HILARITY. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies and rest ASSURED,that Texans fhuqk that up with unerring reliability. Hint.

What do you "hard chargers" shoot in your 7-08's and 308's,that will "upset" a 264 Kreed. Dangle pics for MAXIMUM fhuqking oblivious HILARITY. Hint.

That's what's awesome about service rifle, it's all skill. There's a level playing field, so the cream actually rises to the top.

You, as the self proclaimed "best rifle shot you've ever seen" should come show everyone at Perry how to shoot.

😉
The Brokedick Emoji's are waning and I wonder why...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Atlas machine work is simply fhuqking exceptional,though priced beyond your "means". Hint.

Your copious Insecurities and Wanton Man Lust are funnier than fhuqk,as you pan handle for support. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) Whining heart.

Hint.

For a guy that brags as much as you do, you certainly have an aversion to demonstrating your prowess with a rifle in any measurable way.

I wonder why???

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

(It's hilarious that you're such a kghunt that you can't even get yourself to just say "no, I won't go to Perry)
Four days into the season and NO DEER. BWAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA !!!!!! What a loser.
I tend to sand bag on the average,which reliably riles Couchbound Brokedick Crying Kchunts and their "Adventures",on the average...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Atlas interface to their spigot,is simply exceptional. Tolerances are none and the melding unerring. Hint.

More Emoji's coincide with more Insecurities and that is never not funnier than fhuqk. Fortunately for you Pointy Headed Cross-eyed Brokedick Droolers,they happen to be free. Hint.

Hint.

Stick:

All blow, no show. Just like you'd expect from a wannabe larping "I almost joined the Marines" puzzy
Fhuqktart,

I've yet to be home for 24hrs and pardon the pace surpassing your "life" efforts...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Please continue with your Imagination and Pretend,due the simplistic fact that your "job" precludes the ability for you to procure a camera. Not that you've "seen"or "done" anything that rates a picture. Hint.

Here...now you can say you've "seen" an Accuracy International. Hint.

Hoalie,

Keep stealing pics and footage,as you Whine aloud about your HILARIOUS Brokedicktitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your copious Insecurities are without rival and your "job" is funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................
Stick:

All blow, no show. Just like you'd expect from a wannabe larping "I almost joined the Marines" puzzy
The Brokedick Emoji's are waning and I wonder why...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Atlas machine work is simply fhuqking exceptional,though priced beyond your "means". Hint.

Your copious Insecurities and Wanton Man Lust are funnier than fhuqk,as you pan handle for support. Hint.

Hint.

I had three deer hangin four days in last season you fat useless fuchtard.
Fhuqktart,

Besides being a CLUELESS Kchunt,you are a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit and an AMAZINGLY Stupid Fhuqk as you "forgot" about your heralded Imaginary Pretend Ignore...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Your very WELL founded Insecurities are not mine. Do tell about what you "do" for a "living" and how/why Brokedicktitude is so near and deer to you. Pun be intended. Hint.

Hoalie,

Keep Pretending aloud,to "satiate" your HILARIOUS Brokedick Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How come my worst rifle,surpasses your BEST,you Crying Brokedick Kchunt? Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart for trying.

Little Liar Larry, you say everyone else "pretends", but you're the one who pretends more than anyone else. Your emphasis on high b.c. bullets to the exclusion of anything else (such as terminal performance) is an example of you pretending that you hunt at long distance, when all your hunting shots are at close range. Your purchases of an excessive number of guns and equipment (so much that you couldn't possibly use in real life) is once again you pretending that you actually do use that equipment on a regular basis, when really it is to serve two purposes- 1. To pretend on the internet that you hunt more than others with all that equipment (when you don't) 2. To give yourself a dopamine hit each time you receive a new item in the mail (like a woman with a shopping addiction).
SniffleKchunt,

Your sock puppet "existence" is fhuqking HILARIOUS,as you extoll Mind Numbing STUPIDITY with every Brokedick Breath...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps you Crying CLUELESS Kchunts can combine "forces",to keep things "fair",as you Pretend aloud. Hint.

.230 G1 BC here. Hint.

Pardon my shooting on a level which someone with your HILARIOUS IQ and bankroll,can't even begin to fhuqking fathom. Despite your Estrogen,the beat goes on and always without you. hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Imagine, if you will, a season that's triple-digit days long.

Then imagine still shooting dinks.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣
Hoalie,

Pardon a Season here,surpassing your "life" efforts,due Proxy for Elders and the like(with the request for CNS)...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

"Luckily" for you,Emoji's are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute",as you "live" vicariously. I reckon a "slow" year for me,is 30 Bucks. Hint.

I'll go yank some Chrome and put some bait up this afternoon,as you hopelessly try to straighten your crossed-eyes. 270 is shedding nicely. Hint.

Little Liar Larry, you say everyone else "pretends", but you're the one who pretends more than anyone else. Your emphasis on high b.c. bullets to the exclusion of anything else (such as terminal performance) is an example of you pretending that you hunt at long distance, when all your hunting shots are at close range. Your purchases of an excessive number of guns and equipment (so much that you couldn't possibly use in real life) is once again you pretending that you actually do use that equipment on a regular basis, when really it is to serve two purposes- 1. To pretend on the internet that you hunt more than others with all that equipment (when you don't) 2. To give yourself a dopamine hit each time you receive a new item in the mail (like a woman with a shopping addiction).

It's the quest to hit the 500 yard gong. Raise OAL and BC numbers enough and one is bound to connect. Then get pissed off, throw the gun on the rocks, and vow that the next hacksaw hackjob build will kiss steel.
Chink scope gets trashed on said rock smashing, so that gets replaced too.
Ain't easy being liar Larry.
KenBitchAgain,

You are a Manic Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Pardon results,as you lie loud,long and often. Hint.

Bless your Brokedick heart,you Minimum Wage Kchunt.

Hint.

The Atlas to spigot works, but I think the atlas to the anarchy outdoors spigots are better. Swiss rail or picattiny you can choose. Definitely more sturdy.
https://www.milehighshooting.com/anarchy-outdoors-accuracy-international-at-picatinny-spigot/
Liar Larry,

Do tell which is more rewarding- bribing a forum moderator or supporting communist chinks with your money?
Your attitude certainly shows you sleep well at night, so which is it? Farqueen laughing.

Find any virtue for sale yet, or still looking?
Oooops! Hint..........

For a guy that brags as much as you do, you certainly have an aversion to demonstrating your prowess with a rifle in any measurable way.

I wonder why???

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

(It's hilarious that you're such a kghunt that you can't even get yourself to just say "no, I won't go to Perry)
You Kchunts keep Crying. Hint............

I wonder why???

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Lol. It's the big shtick of Liar Larry.

Never answer a question or offer any useful or credible info.
Just blow hot air, post irrelevant pictures, pretend to hunt/shoot, and say "look at me, look at me"

Lol. Laffin. It ain't easy being liar Larry. If it wasn't for mumble jumble, all the lies would contradict each other.
How come Saturday morning here,trumps your "life" efforts?!?. Hint................

I've ignored that loser for years. Anyone that listens to his ramblings has way more problems than he does, and that's saying something.
CheeseGrater,

You are a Magnificent Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?...............
How come Saturday morning here,trumps your "life" efforts?!?. Hint................

Nice.
Poor, poor Ocho. All blow, no show.

Athlon makes a service rifle scope. You could back up the decades of bluster.

But, in the end, the speech by Teddy is relevant:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Anyone proclaiming to be "the best rifle shot" ever, but who avoids actually displaying that prowess in competition despite also bragging about being "doctor rich" so money isn't an issue, well, they're the definition of puzzy.
I reckon it were rude of me,to leave your vicarious "living". My apologies. Hint.

Hint.

What is there to "do" in Minnesota,besides Whining about being a Brokedick? Hint.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've ignored that loser for years. Anyone that listens to his ramblings has way more problems than he does, and that's saying something.

Hahahaha
You are a joke!
Are you Castin' or Blastin'? Should soak a boat come Monday and see WTF. Am busy bolting up new wares and have the PPV bought for tonight,but zero plans tomorrow for the next couple weeks. Hint................
Been casting and it has been good!
Took the girls out twice this past week looking for kings and found a few and lots of cohos.
Kings might be slowing down some.
Roger.

The kids went out to breakfast,so I'll be Grand Babying here in a spell. Probably should yank some Halibut,for the boys at work. 'Bout time for a big King or two.

Will be Reloading all day,to make way for a 6wk vacation. Pards are wanting to swap/flop/trade scopes and I've a few new rifles to shoot DOPE on. Might score another Montucky 84L 6-06 and have a few thousand 112's laying by.

You have so many fhuqking boats,I don't even know which one that is! Cheers me up,for only having three.

Water looks nice this morning................
Wind looks good this next week
We should go murder the halibut

Water far offshore is getting warm
It may get to tuna temp while you are home

I’ve got some shooting to do also
Need to get some good dope on one of my 223’s and check it on a couple more rifles
Hopefully we can get together and shoot some
I have a NIB 115 on my Hewes’ and need to break it in. Shouldn’t take much to fill it with Halibut and a Buck or two.

Shout when in the mood,as I have no plans after today.

The boys don’t know what to fhuqking think,with 1000lb+ Halibut runs…………….(grin)
Little Liar Larry has a boyfriend! Now isn't that cute.
What are you 12?
Originally Posted by raghorn
What are you 12?
What are you an arse-licker (B.C. don't matter.....Laffin!)?
Nope
Just someone who is still kinda amazed at the work some folks put in to remain stupid.
What are you 12?
You're the one who's friends with the campfires juvenile delinquent.
Yes, I do consider him a friend
Well then apparently you don't mind hangin with someone who acts/talks like a child. What are you 12 ?
I have a NIB 115 on my Hewes’ and need to break it in. Shouldn’t take much to fill it with Halibut and a Buck or two.

Shout when in the mood,as I have no plans after today.

The boys don’t know what to fhuqking think,with 1000lb+ Halibut runs…………….(grin)

What 115 on what Hewes?

I have a Yammie F115 on my ProV200. It’s been a great motor. Pushing 800 hours now. Getting the prop right is important (duh), unless your boat is an 18’ in which case it probably doesn’t matter!

My cuz has a Merc 115 on his Blackhawk and I gotta say, going by the seat of the pants, it’s one torquey SOB.
Usually quality people don't knowingly have scumbags as friends. Ultimately scumbags gravitate to other scumbags for friends.
Thinking I need another 7mm shortie in the fold. 7-08 is a nice itch to scratch....
Well, gosh! I turn away for a bit. . .

Sorry Big Stick, Skane. I missed the vitriol. Although I'm still not sure if what about my banging 308 brass into 7mm-08 got y'all wound up. The last I looked, 308 brass was about half the cost of 7mm-08, and I've got a large trove of it.

I have an update for y'all. In between my last post and now, I was out to the bench with my 7mm-08, my reloading kit, and some newly prepped/primed brass. I was testing StaBall 6.5 with 139 Hornady SPs. I managed to get 2840 fps with 48.5 grains and 2930 fps with 49.5 grains. The listed MAX for this combination is north of 3000 fps. I'm plenty happy with things as they are, and I'm in the process of running up a batch for whitetail season. The load I'd been using previously with Varget was clocking just below 2700 fps.

This is one old moron who is as happy as if you'd dropped me in the bouncy balls.
Sheman,

You are in so far above your pointy head,that it's simply plum fhuqking amazing. Hint.

I'll come shoot with ya Stick. Can we go halfsies on a box of 180 Core-Lokt?
Sheman,

You are in so far above your pointy head,that it's simply plum fhuqking amazing. Hint.

That remark has a very low G1.
My sister-in-law hunts with a Browning levergun chambered for 7mm-08. She has downed elk, mulies, whitetails, and pronghorn antelope with this accurate rifle. None got away. - Sherwood
I think it’s great we can all shoot what strikes our fancy , but other than a marketing scheme , have seen little to no difference in performance on game by our standard go to cartridges .
I figure for those who think a 7 or 6 caliber has that much difference in recoil would find the truth of that lies largely on stock design , wieght of gun , and what’s precieved Between the ears
This being 243-308 cartridges
Kenneth
I'm not sure how but four 7-08 rifles ended up in my safe.
I'd rather hunt with them 75% of the time...from 120-150 grains. My Tikka SL is my favorite.
Try loving the .260.

Good one😁

Bless your heart………….

Folks have probably tuned out for sanity’s sake by now, but I gotta agree with the true ballistic sweetness of the 7mm x 180 g bullet. Nothing else compares for return on investment in the real world of recoil. No muzzle break needed 😊
I can't feel sorry for the 7mm-08 guys........I shoot the .41 Magnum and 38-55...
© 24hourcampfire