Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Try loving the .260.

I have no problem loving the 260 chambered rifles I have...

Plenty of 6.5 mm bullets available. and plenty of free brass laying on the ground at my local range...

so it sez 308 on the bottom, it necks down to 260 in one pass, and I also don't own a 308 that I'd get confused with it.

for the handloader NONE of any of this is a problem, unless we are talking big african hunting calibers..

Haven't picked up much 375 H & H brass in years....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

HR IC

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
.260 is a great round. Period. Folks whine about the twist, bum factory ammo, wrong mag box, pick another, etc. It does it’s job. If you want to shoot critters at 500 yards and can’t get it done with let’s say a 140 Accubond is it really the .260 headstamp or the factory rifle? Or maybe you.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SinisterLefty
I'm a recent convert to the 7mm-08 (with an admitted extreme distaste for the 308). I was a bit surprised that it's nearly impossible to find decent brass for now; even Starline is only doing very limited yearly runs of 7mm-08. But, you have to figure that hunters who only hunt, and don't shoot either competitively or recreationally, may buy a box of 20 rounds every other year, if that, and drive very little of the market.

Popularity isn't a great bellwether for cartridge performance, though - 250-3000 and 257 Roberts, two of the best whitetail cartridges created, are realistically extinct in 2023.

Why the "extreme distaste for the 308"?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's easy to have a love/hate relationship with the .308. It's accurate and the easy button, but looking at its ballistics etc it seems not that great. Take the 150 grain projectile for example. It has mediocre sectional density, relatively low b.c. and just moderate velocity...yet it works so well on deer size game. Take the 180 grain projectile. It has good sectional density of .271 but low velocity and relatively low b.c. struggling to get around a G1 of .520 - but if you can seat long around 2.9" and get around 2700 fps it works outstanding on large critters up to 300 yards. And then there's the 165 grain bullet which is a compromise in everything between 150 and 180...and that works well too. So you hate the .308 (theoretically) and love it (in practice) at the same time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 7-08 and .796 BC 180’s at 2600fps,while you Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
The 7-08 180 grain .796 BC bullet will not have the close to mid-range terminal performance on big tough critters, that a well-constructed (but lower BC) 180 grain .308 bullet will have.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 07/27/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your pointy head and crossed eyes are taking you places that don’t exist. Hint.

Keep Pretending aloud,about wares you never have or never will see,let alone shoot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
The 7-08 180 grain .796 BC bullet will not have the close to mid-range terminal performance on big tough critters, that a well-constructed (but lower BC) 180 grain .308 bullet will have.

On paper it does though. That's all that matters to the virtual shooter, Larry one note.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Keep Pretending aloud,about wares you never have or never will see,let alone shoot. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
If you were honest (which you aren't), you would admit that virtually all the game that you shoot is at close to mid-range. And this is the case with most hunters. It is therefore better for most hunters to have a rifle/cartridge/bullet combination that is optimized for close to medium range hunting rather than 600 yard hunting...unless a person is in the minority and does do a lot of hunting at that distance.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullets matter wayyyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies and you are welcome to your Pretendathon. You two CLUELESS Crying Kchunts bolted together,couldn’t summons a Dead Critter pic. Hint.

Bless your hearts for crying.

Deer Season opened 3 days ago. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!…………..

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….
If you were honest (which you aren't), you would admit that virtually all the game that you shoot is at close to mid-range. And this is the case with most hunters. It is therefore better for most hunters to have a rifle/cartridge/bullet combination that is optimized for close to medium range hunting rather than 600 yard hunting...unless a person is in the minority and does do a lot of hunting at that distance.

Liar Larry being honest?, hahaha. That's farqueen hillariass. The brokeback swamp gnome has more posts than primers fired. Hint. LOL. Spends his days with every member here in his head, as seen by endless files of ad nauseum cut and paste, and the same drunken blather. Proof is in the pudding, and there is a mountain of pudding.
The ignore feature really cleans up the threads he tries to pollute.

With all his long range "prowess", he should be over on the Long Range hunting forum site extolling all his magnificient virtues and knowledge. Oh, that's right, they booted his ass for being a fraud and a troll.

Not sure which is more hilarious- His mad scrambling for the next reply or the few who thinks he has one iota of credibility.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchAgain,

Be sure to keep extolling your very WELL founded and countless Insecurities,as you reiterate that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqk,that you just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pardon wares that exist,as you Pretend aloud and "live" vicariously. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I read half of the first page, so I’m not totally up to date on this post but I really do like the 7mm-08 and recently bought as a gift for a young man. I couldn’t for the life of me find factory ammo, so I busted out a bunch of reloads. I told him if he finds ammo, buy it. Great caliber, but man I thought it was more popular than it is.

We will be really pissed if they ever chamber a 7mm Creedmoor in a factory rifle. It’ll probably take off like hot cakes. Lol… it’ll be my luck. Lol!

It would probably shoot like a house on fire though!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fhuqking HORROR! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I am plagued by cartridges that become obsolete!

I started off on the true path in the early 70s when I bought my first rifle at 17 years old - a converted Mauser with a California-style Fajen stock in the great .270 Win!

The terrible military trigger and excess weight of the contraption, however, led me to lust for a lighter and slimmer rifle that used the most modern and cutting-edge cartridge of the time - a .284 Winchester! I ended up with a Ruger 77 flat-bolt in that chambering that was just excellent. A Weaver 4x scope set me up in gun looney heaven!

I realize now that if I had just stuck with the .284 and picked up a Lee Loader, some 140-150gr Nosler Partitions and a pound of 4831, I could have hunted anything I've ever pursued for the last 50 years with perfect happiness. But I didn't reload (my hunting mentor said, "That's dangerous!") and the growing cost + non-availability of the ammo led me to trade it off.

I subsequently grabbed a 7mm Mauser housed in another Ruger 77 rifle, but was frustrated with its lack of accuracy (3-5" at 100 yards). Apparently Ruger was having problems with a long run of bad barrels, and when I sent it back to them they tested it at 50 yards, achieved a 2" group, and said that it met their standards. Down the road it went.

I jumped to the .257 Roberts (again in a Ruger 77) because of gunwriter affection and being assured that it "punches above its weight" - but lost affection for it almost immediately when I hit a Mule Deer 3 times just behind the shoulder in a group I could cover with my hand - and it kept going. The deer eventually dropped, but my confidence in the cartridge was shot.

Went to the 25-06 and loved it. Dropped a nice antelope at just over 300 yards with one shot - a 20-yard death sprint and it was all over. However, the dream of hunting elk in an age that taught that a 300 Win Mag was the minimum for going after the great beast cancelled this nice Marlin XS-7 and turned my head toward a 30-06 (I wasn't THAT dumb!). I traded the Marlin to a friend.

The 30-06 with 165gr Barnes TTSX was my do-it-all rifle - and still is. With a full-length bedded B&C synthetic stock, gunsmith-lightened trigger, Ceracote on the metal and a Leupold fixed M8 6X scope, I was sure I would never need another rifle.

Never, that is, until I tore the rotator cuff in my shooting shoulder - twice.

That prompted the acquisition of a 250-3000 in a Savage 99. I'm not sure which model it was, but it had a 20" barrel and a uncomfortably short stock. Not being drilled and tapped for a scope added to my unease with the rifle, even though it shot as soft as a sweet dream. Scarcity of ammo finished it off.

Finally, I bought a rifle chambered in the cartridge that was perfect for me - the 7mm-08! That Tikka T3 stainless with a Weaver Grand Slam was accurate, light, easy to hit with and soft-shooting enough that it didn't hurt my shoulder. A 3,000 fps 120-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was simply excellent at short and long range for antelope and deer, while a 140gr Barnes TTSX at 2860fps was enough to put the hurt on any elk I'd ever come across.

And now you're telling me the 7mm-08 is fading away!

.284 Win, .257 Roberts, 250-3000 and 7mm-08 - I have a long history of falling in love with cartridges that don't last.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
77's are too short for a 284 Win,with anything resembling a decent bullet. Hint.

They are also too short for a Bob,despite there being no good bullets available to it. Hint.

Teeker fhuqks up 7-08 RPM,even though they are an '06 length receiver,so are yet another Goat Fhuqk by default. Hint.

Salvage badly botched RPM in the 250-3000 too. Hint.

Congratulations?!? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think you missed the point, Stick. I wasn't asking for comments on the ballistic potential of any of those cartridges.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Yep. The 7mm-08 was never going to catch up to the .308 for logistics reasons but the (understandable) market acceptance of the 6.5CM as another do-it-all cartridge that is a rung below the .308 in recoil is going to continue to muscle into existing 7mm-08 territory. I have more 7mm-08 rifles than any other chambering, but I'm also a handloader. For the factory ammo guy, the 6.5CM is the better mousetrap. The number of folks that bought 7mm-08 rifles over the last 40 years will keep the ammo production alive, but it's nothing compared to .308, 6.5CM, .270, 30-06, and .243.

Pretty good summation of the situation I think. Both the 7-08 and CM have roots in competition, but when’s the last time you read about silhouette shooting, aside from the punkin-chucking version? I always admired the 7-08, and a pal has one of the first Kevlar M7s, but can’t honestly recall ever seeing one on the shelf, ever. 7x57s have been almost abundant by comparison. I remain happily in the .308 camp with piles of suitable bullets, brass, and powder, and the 7 doesn't offer a thing over its Mama at woods ranges. Those who like it and shoot factory ammo might want to think about squirreling some away for the inevitable.

Sta Ball 6.5 gives it a pretty good boost, according to the Hodgdon data.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by czech1022
I think you missed the point, Stick. I wasn't asking for comments on the ballistic potential of any of those cartridges.

"Thinking" isn't your long suit. Hint.............

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by czech1022

haha... Poor lying Larry one note. Fires far more posts than primers. Hint.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.