Home
Any one use one? Unfortunately, my .257 wby HAS to have one on!

I took El Chupacabra (the fully custom .257 wby)out with her favorite VLD load... Moved the "donut ring" around on the end of the barrel... end of the barrel, half way down, all the way down.. Didnt matter, .75" groups... Take it off... only shot two shots and they were about 2" apart! I shot 4 - 3 shot groups with it on the barrel... All bullet could have been combined for about a 1.2-1.5 inch group!

I guess those ugly things work!

(here is how she looks with one on)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

She works either way, but shoots better with it on than off.

Posted By: Tom264 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/23/09
I always say......"donuts were made for eating!"
grin
aren't you that sales rep for the barrel deresonator I saw at the last out door expo??? (just kidding)
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
i am glad that your marital aid was able to help you get those varmints. smile
Posted By: SKane Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
That thing would get a new tube before I'd use one of those... grin grin
Or wrapped around a tree.
My foreman swears by one...wrapped around his dick.

Kinky [bleep].
TFF
sam...does it help with his accuracy, or just the vibrations?
From what I hear at work accuracy is iffy but velocity is greatly improved...
Posted By: SKane Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
*laughin*
that kind of velocity could cause...steelhead, you ready? wait for it....serious throat erosion...

wink

Tube has 280 rounds through it, 25 1/4" #5 Shilen.
Either that or a major misfire!
....i was cleaning it and it went off, honest...
All fine unless you suffered the erosion...(grin)
teehee...

but...you must always remember to put blue tape over it...

i don't know if it will keep the erosion down but it will keep dirt out if you're "busy" outside.

-Matt
Alright guys, dont hijack the thread.
WWJD?....
Back on topic.

I would rather work up a handload than shoot a rifle with such a queer device.
Posted By: mathman Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
If I couldn't make a properly smithed #5 barrel shoot consistent little groups au naturel it would be new barrel time.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
All kidding aside, if it doesn't matter where it's placed than why do you have it at the end? They're ugly to start with, but at the end of the barrel is 10x worse.
1stcews, Maybe you should get a red one......Petsmart has 'em new. I just picked mine up outta the yard. Only had to kick one dog to get it away from him..........

[Linked Image]

There's different styles for different problems....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
i understand the principle behind the donut, but just can't get past the sight of the things. if my rifle need one to shoot good, i'd have to get another rifle or barrel. but for the folks who use and like em', i say good on ya and keep buying those hunting licenses. to each his own......
*laughing* didn't know Kong made a barrel resonator...
Don, genious.
Believe me, I wish I didnt have to put it on there. But to tell ya the truth, it doesnt bother me.

And it shoots just a tad better with it at the end. Oh well, she shoots under an inch consistently, I care more about that then havein a ugly donut at the end. It aint a beauty pagents. Thats for blondes and brunettes. Its hunting. I use ugly rifle, so do you guys. si no le gusta, bessa el cuelo.
Oh well, she shoots under an inch consistently

So does my much lighter contour donut free factory barrel even when it's too hot to hold.
Good for you.
We speak English in this country.

Seems you started the thread junior, can't stand the heat swim the Rio.
Charming.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
If a guy likes them, then use them...that said, my personal view is that if a rifle needs it to shoot, the rifle has issues.I would rather fix the problem than hang one on a barrel.YMMV.
Well you can kiss his ass too Bob. laugh
mathman: Just trying to be diplomatic..... grin

I agree with you.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
Originally Posted by huntsman22
1stcews, Maybe you should get a red one......Petsmart has 'em new. I just picked mine up outta the yard. Only had to kick one dog to get it away from him..........

[Linked Image]

There's different styles for different problems....

[Linked Image]

I can't believe all you " Experts"...
Too much armchair stuff going on here!
ANYBODY knows that the standard red Kong Deresonator in that first picture has been installed BACKWARDS!Way to go.... shocked
The model in the second pic looks perfect IMHO..... wink
Ingwe
Posted By: GeoW Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
I'd be talking to the guy that made my custom. Would not be amused at having to have my custom rifle gun wear a do-nut.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
Just curious, have you tried a pressure point in the stock? Seems like a pressure point would serve the same purpose and look a heck of a lot less ugly.
Ugly is as ugly shoots. |For 20 bucks cutting a group in half seems like an excellent deal. Do we trash muzzle brakes because they ruin the lines of a rifle? The same concept is used on most bows
Randy
I thought we trashed muzzle breaks because it made us look tougher, but gave excess noise as the reason. Have I been mistaken?
If you don't care what the rifle looks like, why didn't you buy a Savage. Wasn't that ugly enough for you? smile
Posted By: CLB Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Tube has 280 rounds through it, 25 1/4" #5 Shilen.

Did you ever call them about the problem? I'm sure it will work if you want to keep toying with it, but it's just a band aide when you really need stitches. IMO, after spending coin on a custom, there should be NO need for a donut.

CLB
For 20 bucks cutting a group in half seems like an excellent deal.

The point being something is amiss with the rifle/loads/scope. A problem free rifle/scope with a #5 barrel and good loads should shoot into well under an inch without a big rubber dong hanging on it.

Mathman and CLB's points are squarely on point.With a good Shilen tube,a properly assembled rifle should not need the bandaid.
The gun does not HAVE to have the donut on. It will actually shoot TSX's at/under an inch with out it.

And, to pour salt on the wound the guys who built the gun are out of business. Bottom line is the gun does shoot. Granted, with a crutch but it does.
Posted By: CLB Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
The gun does not HAVE to have the donut on. It will actually shoot TSX's at/under an inch with out it.

Might be time to divorce the VLD's if that's the case. Other than the VLD,s and TSX what else have you tried?
Posted By: JPro Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/24/09
How is that gun bedded? If it need some dampening, I'd be more inclined to look at the stock....
first: I see; have you tried the Accubonds?Pretty accurate, flat shooting bullet.Could be it just doesn't like the Berger.

You may not need it after all.... wink
Yeah, it has shot every bullet I have put through it right around an inch. Between .75 and one inch. VLD's Tsx, TTSX, Accubonds. All have shot about the same.

Gun is pillar and glass bedded. Barrel was bedded as well, with tape ( I forgot how thick the tape was) wrapped around the barrel creating a floated barrel.

Why would I divorce the VLD's? They shoot well with the donut, and knock the dog snot out of the coues.

Just ask this bad boy that died at 571 yards. He didnt like them.

[Linked Image]
Barrel was bedded as well, with tape ( I forgot how thick the tape was) wrapped around the barrel creating a floated barrel.

Huh?...
The smith wrapped tape, like thick tape around the barrel. Bedded the entire stock. When he sank the barrel and action in, The tape on the barrel created space so the barrel area is bedded, but the barrel actually floats.
That's a new one on me.
I tend to bed the action so it's floating. I find no contact between action and stock really helps.
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/25/09
I think you're sayin' that he held the barrel floated in the channel while he was bedding it by wrapping tape around it. Then removed the tape after it was free floated. You may wanna consider putting a pressure point in the barrel channel as it sounds like your barrel may want a little pressure. Try putting some temporary pressure under the barrel towards the end of the barrel channel and see how it shoots. If it shoots well that way you can run a little pad of bedding under the barrel in the channel and create a permanent pressure point. That will likely let you get rid of the barrel condom and still keep your accuracy.
The smith wrapped tape, like thick tape around the barrel. Bedded the entire stock. When he sank the barrel and action in, The tape on the barrel created space so the barrel area is bedded, but the barrel actually floats.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. Not sure if something is being lost in translation, but one doesn't bed the barrel so it floats. I'm assuming he removed the tape from the barrel?
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/25/09
Greatwapiti take a look at Northern Daves sticky on Glass bedding an action...I think thats what he meant.
The action is bedded the barrel floats above the channel....after the tape is removed.
10-4
Can you get one of them with a built in compass?
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Can you get one of them with a built in compass?
Money can buy you anything.
'cause I was thinking that if'n you had one of them, with a compass, a muzzle brake and see through scope mounts, a feller'd be 'bout set.
Now that was tacky! Funny but still tacky. I do agree that a pressure point and a change in bullets might be in order.

Why did you shoot that deer at 571 yards. Was that how far it was to the road or don't you know how to stalk?
Posted By: johnw Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/25/09
I took El Chupacabra (the fully custom .257 wby)out with her favorite VLD load... Moved the "donut ring" around on the end of the barrel... end of the barrel, half way down, all the way down.. Didnt matter, .75" groups... Take it off... only shot two shots and they were about 2" apart!

And, to pour salt on the wound the guys who built the gun are out of business. Bottom line is the gun does shoot. Granted, with a crutch but it does.

saints be praised!!! hope they didn't retire to a life of ease with what you paid'em for the rifle...

note; there are good smiths available that can and will make your rifle shoot without that thing....
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
Why did you shoot that deer at 571 yards. Was that how far it was to the road or don't you know how to stalk?

Nice... Guess you don't know anything about Coues hunting.
Posted By: JPro Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/25/09
I agree with MtnMan. If the Sims device is making that much of a difference, I'd first try a shim of some sort just back from the forend tip. Maybe a slice of an innertube, if only to provide a touch of pressure and maybe change up the dampening effect. I know a guy who is running a M7 in 260 and swears by his Sims, but I can't warm up to something like that on my rifle.
Originally Posted by mtnman1

Nice... Guess you don't know anything about Coues hunting.

+1

Many of the actors on TV hunting shows are using them. I'm just not into the idea of something that weird looking on my rifle.

Like others have said you can make most rifles shoot pretty decently just by load and/or bedding experimentation.
No, I've never shot a Coues deer in my life. But I've shot a lot of mulies in Wy and Co in flat terrain (if that's what you're saying)and never made a shot of even 300 yards. So I guess you did answer my question. smile
hmmm, not flat, not mulies, not CO or Wy. Your expertise is astounding.
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Many of the actors on TV hunting shows are using them. I'm just not into the idea of something that weird looking on my rifle.

I'd use one too if I was being sponsored...
To start with that is a very nice Coues Deer. Congratulations.

I have never felt the need for a donut or viberator! smile I use Lothar Walthar barrels and they all shoot under an inch, all of them and I been using them for several years now..there polishing process really works....
If that abomination makes it shoot a VLD that much better, then having it re-bedded, properly, by a professional (Who is still in business) should solve the problems that require it's use on a full custom rifle. If you're taking 571 yard shots, get that broken rifle fixed.
No, I've never shot a Coues deer in my life.

Here are some pics of typical rocky, noisy, open coues country of southern AZ. Not exactly flat terrain. Some say that coues have a comfort zone of 400 yards. My shots have averaged 250 yards, ranging from 150-450.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

RedRabbit, Are there deer in those pics you can pick out or are they just shots of the country.

I've been trying to find pics with critters in them to get my blood pumping for this fall.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
RedRabbit, Are there deer in those pics you can pick out or are they just shots of the country.

I've been trying to find pics with critters in them to get my blood pumping for this fall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I see I animal in each picture. What are they?
You know what, I bet that a thin o-ring around the barrel somewhere inside the forend tip of a floating stock would do the same thing, better.

BTW Mtnman1, congrats on your Coues deer and nice shot! I have always wanted to add one to my North American whitetail subspecies trophy's. Just never have hunted that far south in Arizona.
smile Thanks, but not mine, belongs to the young man in the pic called firstcoueswas80. I just sorta hate to see a guy that knows nothin' about coues huntin' pissin' on the boots of a man that does, so waded in on his behalf. smile
I see a critter in each pic. Bottom one looks like a yote, top one a doe or yote?

Pretty country by the way.
Bluedreaux,
The top pic has 2 coues in it. The second pic has at least 2 coues.
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Bluedreaux,
The top pic has 2 coues in it. The second pic has at least 2 coues.

Got these... And thanks. I love pics like this.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Wonder if anyone has ever killed a Coues Deer with a bow?
Originally Posted by mcknight77
My brother in law has about 4 yrs ago in Tucson I was there spotting for him when he got to within 30 yds of it.
It wasnt a big one only a forkhorn but a challenge non the less.
I also stuck a monster with an arrow back in 97' iirc, it went mid 120's.....unfortunately I didnt get him due to jumping him too soon after the shot...my shot was 34 yds.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/26/09
firstcoueswas80,

After reading the first page of post, I see you are not getting any serious posts. Let me change that.

I put one one my grandson's .22. with each 1/8" more of the donut the gourps shrunk at fifty yards.

Since that worked, I put one on a box stock good shooting .223 Savage and turned it into a reat shooting Savage. The last three times to the range the groups were about 1 1/16" at

300 yards!.
Originally Posted by Ringman
firstcoueswas80,

After reading the first page of post, I see you are not getting any serious posts. Let me change that.

I put one one my grandson's .22. with each 1/8" more of the donut the gourps shrunk at fifty yards.

Since that worked, I put one on a box stock good shooting .223 Savage and turned it into a reat shooting Savage. The last three times to the range the groups were about 1 1/16" at

300 yards!.

What do ya know, a serious post!

You better take that thing off, or everyone is going to tell you that gun is a POS because it has to have a donut on it!
The concept of the Sims device is a perfectly sensible one and can't imagine it not working.

However, I agree with most here in that what you shelled out for a "custom" should get you a lot better than 1" with a #5 Shilen. I'd definitely think getting the rifle looked at by a good, reputable gunsmith and rebedded would do you wonders. A custom rifle that you spent 1 or 2 grand shoudn't need that. Maybe full length bedding or just a pressure point would help.
Your right, it probaly shouldnt need that. It is already full lenght bedded.
I thought full length bedding meant the bedding contacted the "full length" of the barrel.

You have bedding the full length of your stock but your barrel is still floating, correct?

That's my understanding, but I'm no expert.
2nd
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/26/09
Your right, it probaly shouldnt need that. It is already full lenght bedded.

Yeah Firstcoues, it's either full length bedded or free floated, but not both. I don't think everybody's givin' ya a hard time, although there are always a couple. I think you might feel better about your "custom" if you didn't have to have the resonator on it.

I'd strongly suggest that you give a try to taking the barreled action outa the stock and putting a shim about 1 1/2 in. from the end of the forend outa cardboard or rubber, just thick enough to put a little pressure on the barrel when you put it back in the stock. Try shootin' it that way and see if it helps. You might have to move the shim to a diff. position or two in the barrel channel but I'll bet that will help settle those groups in. This is just a temporary test to see if a pressure point would help. If it does, then you can add a permanent pressure point yourself or had a smith do it. If it doesn't you can keep usin' the resonator.

Good luck with it whatever ya do, and nice coues by the way.
Originally Posted by mcknight77

Here is mine from last Saturday.

[Linked Image]

25 yards and I didn't even use a VLD!

And yes, I have a sims on my Mtn Rifle and it seems to help. I was at wits end with it and thought "why not."

Here is another photo of one that is within bow range.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: JPro Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/27/09
Very nice!
I'm just going to parrot the others who have responded with serious replies, a custom shouldn't need one. Have it looked at by a better smith. However, if the donut works and allows you to keep hunting till you get it fixed - then who F'ing cares what it looks like. smile Nice deer by the way!
Dennis,

Thx for sharing that is a really nice buck!

Dober
Wow! Great buck!
Tuners make perfect sense on 22rf's, because you need to tune the rifle to the ammunition. They also make sense on a factory rifle shooting factory ammo, because you gotta tune whatcha got to what you're feeding it.

But, I'll cast another vote that a custom rifle with handloads shouldn't need a tuner. There is something askew with your bedding, stock, or perhaps the way the barrel was fit to the action. Something is causing a bad vibration that is opening up your groups. The donut is the quick fix.

My greatest concern with a donut on a hunting rifle isn't that aesthetics, it's that the darn thing could get knocked out of position, or knocked off and really mess up my POI.
Posted By: colodog Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
I've only used a donut once, It was butt ugly but worked wonders with a Win Featherweight 25.06.

Bedding and free floating did nothing, pressure point gained little, donut got my loads down to 1-1/4" at 100yds.

Never did hunt with that gun and sold it to a buddy who promptly removed the donut. It was really hanging on tight though.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
Nice deer Dennis....is it me or the second one look a little bigger?
The same buck from the day before. I passed it the first day and mistook it for another one the second day. My bad, but still a nice buck. 92 6/8" SCI.

This is the one I thought it was.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dennis
Dennis,

what did it net B&C?

Thx
Dober
It is very symmetrical. I think it will net 91 7/8 but it isn't dry so it is a moot point right now. Not sure how much affect the freeze drying will have on it.

It's my best velvet buck to date.
Thx

Dober
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
.... The donut is the quick fix.

My greatest concern with a donut on a hunting rifle isn't that aesthetics, it's that the darn thing could get knocked out of position, or knocked off and really mess up my POI.

THAT right there is the real issue...what if that thing moves around?
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
they don't move very easily. In fact there is a sort of technique for removing it. I tried one before handloading and the results were inconclusive.
Posted By: WGM Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
I agree that for a factory rifle shooting factory ammo, the "donut" might be worth it ... but for a custom rifle shooting custom hand loaded ammo - no freaking way that a barrel donut is going on my rig ...

Casey ... something is wrong with your rifle - no way around that fact. I'd be tracking down whoever put it together (regardless of them being in business or not) and find out what kind of satisfaction you can get ...
He knows something is wrong but the guy who built his rifle is not around to fix it. I think he is comfortable with the accuracy he is getting with the donut.

I am in the same boat. I had a rifle blue printed and rebarreled by one of the very well known accuracy gunsmiths. It shoots barely better than it did with the factory tube. I already had him put a second barrel on it and although it shoots more consistently, it is not what I expected for $900. I am not going to waste my time with the guy anymore and will just leave the donut on.

IF you have a stiff enough stock, you can full-length bed the barrel (a la Melvin Forbes) but otherwise, you are trying to find a way to dampen that little barrel. Casey's barrel is not a thin barrel, he doesn't get a mulligan on this score but found the donut worked for him anyway!
Posted By: WGM Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
Dennis ... I know what you're saying ... but that's why I said I'd be tracking down the guy who originally did the work, and see what kind of satisfaction I could get, if any.

On another note ... damn nice Coues you have pictured above ... and with a bow! ...
My main concern would be the action moving around in the stock and causing POI changes. This guy is taking 500+ yard shots with a rifle that has serious issues. The groups seem to be improved by the donut, but is the POI rock-stable? Again, We are talking 500+ yards, not the normal sub 200 yard hunting ranges.
When I put my donut on, this became the norm- with a Mt rifle

3 shots @ 500 yds from a tripod rest. Remington Mt. Rifle, 260 Remington, Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 B&C.

[Linked Image]
That is great shooting. My question is, how is his rifle doing, consistantly, POI wise, at 500 yards.
How is my rifle doing? Well, when testing this load, I shot three loads atg 300 yards from a front bipod rest, prone. They measure 3.025", 3.150" , 3.086" Granted, this is not 500 yards, but 9 shots, at 300 yards all same POI, all MOA sounds like it is good to me.

I have tried to track down the smith... His reponse was less than stellar. Contacted the owner... His response was less than stellar.. Went something like "We are out of business, what do you want me to do".

But, maybe I should take it to the Lawson shop here in Tucson. Might be worth a try.

Remember, I have said that it DOES shoot right around an inch WITHOUT the donut. It just so happens, the donut tightens up THIS load, and probably the VLD's over all. BUT TSX etc shoot right at an inch with a nekkid barrel!

Dennis, hell of a archery buck! Unit?
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Barrel donuts/ deresonator - 08/28/09
Wrong answer to the problem. Much like the savage accutrigger.
I realize that your groups are darn good. I just wonder if under different temperature or humidity conditions, does the Point of Impact possibly change. This would indicate a likely bedding issue. This is critical at range.

I realize that I'm more worried about your rifle than I should be, I just really hate to see a custom rifle not be just perfect for ya. (I fought one for a long time, too, until the bedding was fixed by Karnis!)

So, to pacify me grin, take it to be checked out by thiose fellers in Tucson!! Just kidding!
I will take it to them, have them check it out and see what happens.

But, I have never had POI move no matter where it has been shot.
© 24hourcampfire