Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
.... The donut is the quick fix.

My greatest concern with a donut on a hunting rifle isn't that aesthetics, it's that the darn thing could get knocked out of position, or knocked off and really mess up my POI.

THAT right there is the real issue...what if that thing moves around?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they don't move very easily. In fact there is a sort of technique for removing it. I tried one before handloading and the results were inconclusive.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that for a factory rifle shooting factory ammo, the "donut" might be worth it ... but for a custom rifle shooting custom hand loaded ammo - no freaking way that a barrel donut is going on my rig ...

Casey ... something is wrong with your rifle - no way around that fact. I'd be tracking down whoever put it together (regardless of them being in business or not) and find out what kind of satisfaction you can get ...

-WGM-
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He knows something is wrong but the guy who built his rifle is not around to fix it. I think he is comfortable with the accuracy he is getting with the donut.

I am in the same boat. I had a rifle blue printed and rebarreled by one of the very well known accuracy gunsmiths. It shoots barely better than it did with the factory tube. I already had him put a second barrel on it and although it shoots more consistently, it is not what I expected for $900. I am not going to waste my time with the guy anymore and will just leave the donut on.

IF you have a stiff enough stock, you can full-length bed the barrel (a la Melvin Forbes) but otherwise, you are trying to find a way to dampen that little barrel. Casey's barrel is not a thin barrel, he doesn't get a mulligan on this score but found the donut worked for him anyway!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis ... I know what you're saying ... but that's why I said I'd be tracking down the guy who originally did the work, and see what kind of satisfaction I could get, if any.

On another note ... damn nice Coues you have pictured above ... and with a bow! ...

-WGM-
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My main concern would be the action moving around in the stock and causing POI changes. This guy is taking 500+ yard shots with a rifle that has serious issues. The groups seem to be improved by the donut, but is the POI rock-stable? Again, We are talking 500+ yards, not the normal sub 200 yard hunting ranges.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I put my donut on, this became the norm- with a Mt rifle

3 shots @ 500 yds from a tripod rest. Remington Mt. Rifle, 260 Remington, Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 B&C.

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That is great shooting. My question is, how is his rifle doing, consistantly, POI wise, at 500 yards.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
How is my rifle doing? Well, when testing this load, I shot three loads atg 300 yards from a front bipod rest, prone. They measure 3.025", 3.150" , 3.086" Granted, this is not 500 yards, but 9 shots, at 300 yards all same POI, all MOA sounds like it is good to me.

I have tried to track down the smith... His reponse was less than stellar. Contacted the owner... His response was less than stellar.. Went something like "We are out of business, what do you want me to do".

But, maybe I should take it to the Lawson shop here in Tucson. Might be worth a try.

Remember, I have said that it DOES shoot right around an inch WITHOUT the donut. It just so happens, the donut tightens up THIS load, and probably the VLD's over all. BUT TSX etc shoot right at an inch with a nekkid barrel!

Dennis, hell of a archery buck! Unit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wrong answer to the problem. Much like the savage accutrigger.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I realize that your groups are darn good. I just wonder if under different temperature or humidity conditions, does the Point of Impact possibly change. This would indicate a likely bedding issue. This is critical at range.

I realize that I'm more worried about your rifle than I should be, I just really hate to see a custom rifle not be just perfect for ya. (I fought one for a long time, too, until the bedding was fixed by Karnis!)

So, to pacify me grin, take it to be checked out by thiose fellers in Tucson!! Just kidding!

Last edited by oulufinn; 08/28/09.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I will take it to them, have them check it out and see what happens.

But, I have never had POI move no matter where it has been shot.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,078
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.