Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Wonder if anyone has ever killed a Coues Deer with a bow?
My brother in law has about 4 yrs ago in Tucson I was there spotting for him when he got to within 30 yds of it.
It wasnt a big one only a forkhorn but a challenge non the less.
I also stuck a monster with an arrow back in 97' iirc, it went mid 120's.....unfortunately I didnt get him due to jumping him too soon after the shot...my shot was 34 yds.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
firstcoueswas80,

After reading the first page of post, I see you are not getting any serious posts. Let me change that.

I put one one my grandson's .22. with each 1/8" more of the donut the gourps shrunk at fifty yards.

Since that worked, I put one on a box stock good shooting .223 Savage and turned it into a reat shooting Savage. The last three times to the range the groups were about 1 1/16" at

300 yards!.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Ringman
firstcoueswas80,

After reading the first page of post, I see you are not getting any serious posts. Let me change that.

I put one one my grandson's .22. with each 1/8" more of the donut the gourps shrunk at fifty yards.

Since that worked, I put one on a box stock good shooting .223 Savage and turned it into a reat shooting Savage. The last three times to the range the groups were about 1 1/16" at

300 yards!.

What do ya know, a serious post!

You better take that thing off, or everyone is going to tell you that gun is a POS because it has to have a donut on it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The concept of the Sims device is a perfectly sensible one and can't imagine it not working.

However, I agree with most here in that what you shelled out for a "custom" should get you a lot better than 1" with a #5 Shilen. I'd definitely think getting the rifle looked at by a good, reputable gunsmith and rebedded would do you wonders. A custom rifle that you spent 1 or 2 grand shoudn't need that. Maybe full length bedding or just a pressure point would help.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your right, it probaly shouldnt need that. It is already full lenght bedded.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought full length bedding meant the bedding contacted the "full length" of the barrel.

You have bedding the full length of your stock but your barrel is still floating, correct?

That's my understanding, but I'm no expert.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
2nd

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Your right, it probaly shouldnt need that. It is already full lenght bedded.

Yeah Firstcoues, it's either full length bedded or free floated, but not both. I don't think everybody's givin' ya a hard time, although there are always a couple. I think you might feel better about your "custom" if you didn't have to have the resonator on it.

I'd strongly suggest that you give a try to taking the barreled action outa the stock and putting a shim about 1 1/2 in. from the end of the forend outa cardboard or rubber, just thick enough to put a little pressure on the barrel when you put it back in the stock. Try shootin' it that way and see if it helps. You might have to move the shim to a diff. position or two in the barrel channel but I'll bet that will help settle those groups in. This is just a temporary test to see if a pressure point would help. If it does, then you can add a permanent pressure point yourself or had a smith do it. If it doesn't you can keep usin' the resonator.

Good luck with it whatever ya do, and nice coues by the way.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mcknight77
Wonder if anyone has ever killed a Coues Deer with a bow?

Here is mine from last Saturday.

[Linked Image]

25 yards and I didn't even use a VLD!

And yes, I have a sims on my Mtn Rifle and it seems to help. I was at wits end with it and thought "why not."

Here is another photo of one that is within bow range.

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice!

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I'm just going to parrot the others who have responded with serious replies, a custom shouldn't need one. Have it looked at by a better smith. However, if the donut works and allows you to keep hunting till you get it fixed - then who F'ing cares what it looks like. smile Nice deer by the way!

----------
Hunting is my religion
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis,

Thx for sharing that is a really nice buck!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow! Great buck!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tuners make perfect sense on 22rf's, because you need to tune the rifle to the ammunition. They also make sense on a factory rifle shooting factory ammo, because you gotta tune whatcha got to what you're feeding it.

But, I'll cast another vote that a custom rifle with handloads shouldn't need a tuner. There is something askew with your bedding, stock, or perhaps the way the barrel was fit to the action. Something is causing a bad vibration that is opening up your groups. The donut is the quick fix.

My greatest concern with a donut on a hunting rifle isn't that aesthetics, it's that the darn thing could get knocked out of position, or knocked off and really mess up my POI.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've only used a donut once, It was butt ugly but worked wonders with a Win Featherweight 25.06.

Bedding and free floating did nothing, pressure point gained little, donut got my loads down to 1-1/4" at 100yds.

Never did hunt with that gun and sold it to a buddy who promptly removed the donut. It was really hanging on tight though.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice deer Dennis....is it me or the second one look a little bigger?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The same buck from the day before. I passed it the first day and mistook it for another one the second day. My bad, but still a nice buck. 92 6/8" SCI.

This is the one I thought it was.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dennis

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis,

what did it net B&C?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It is very symmetrical. I think it will net 91 7/8 but it isn't dry so it is a moot point right now. Not sure how much affect the freeze drying will have on it.

It's my best velvet buck to date.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx

Dober

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 60 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,363
Posts18,506,380
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.