Home
Most accurate 30-06 factory rifle bolt gun out of the box under $750?
i'd guess savage, rem 700, new sc m70, certainly the vanguard, and others i failed to mention.

i read an article a few years back where a gun writer tested 5 unmodifed factory 06's using factory ammo. i believe they were vanguard, cz, rem 700, ruger mk2, and savage. the vanguard out shot them all, and i believe the cz came in 2nd.

of course this was just a sample of one. ymmv.

i predect several pages for this topic, and a few arguments.

Remington Model 700 hands down winner.....
Originally Posted by Swampman700

I don't know if it is the hands down winner but I was very satisfied with my ADL I bought new when they still put the J-Lock on it. Left it NIB until I had the chance to hunt black bear in AK in 2007. With my 200 grain Partition handloads and only having the trigger tuned I could hold 5 shots under an inch from the bench. Killed a bear with it and then traded it off for a better rifle.

I rarely buy new rifles, but if my T/C Venture .270 is any indication of how well the rifles shoot then I wound't hesitate to buy an Icon or Venture in .30-06. I have a buddy who bought a new Tikka T3 in .30-06 and it shoots very well when he does his job. I really think you'll have a hard time finding a true lemon with most production rifles. I'd just stay away from the Mossberg, Savage Axis, and Remington 770 and you'll probably do ok.
I've had trouble with Remington products; ammo and rifles, for the last few years. Maybe their quality control has suffered. Like the new M-70 Sporters...
Originally Posted by Gary O
I've had trouble with Remington products; ammo and rifles, for the last few years. Maybe their quality control has suffered. Like the new M-70 Sporters...

Then I wouldn't buy a new rifle, I'd look for a used one you can tune. When I went to replace my .30-06 I picked up a used J.C. Higgins M50. Once I worked the trigger over it was a very accurate rifle, and pretty to look at. I don't buy new rifles very often because I'm worried they won't shoot, I prefer used because I figure they are the better value.
Your question was "Most accurate 30-06 factory rifle?"

Older rifles rarely shoot MOA or better. In fact very few rifles shot MOA or better until CNC machines became common.

If you don't want the most accurate, then a current production Model 70 might be better than the Model 700.
I've bought 2 new 700's over the last 4 years. I am a Remington fan, and have many other Remington guns. However, thus far, those two rifles are the least accurate of anything in my stable. I've had very good luck with the Tikka T3, TC Icon, and Sako A7 that I've picked up. As far as accuracy under $750, a stainless T3 is hard to beat! Mine is a .270 and was shooting cloverleafs with the very first load I loaded up for it!
I have had new 30-06 in Remington 700, Ruger 77, Sako 75, and Tikka T3.

The Ruger and Tikka were excellent right out of the box and they were the cheapest of the 4, the Sako 75 was okay (not as good as the cheaper tikka) and the 700 was not even close.
The most accurate 30-06 I ever bought and I still have is a Colt Light rifle, It is well under MOA @ 100yds with 180gr partition handloads all day long if I do my part !
You don't want 30-06 ... it is an inherently inaccurate cartridge .... stay away, if you want an accurate rifle!!

Tikka. The Savages and Vanguards get good reports, too.

Remington QC took a header after Remington was acquired by Cerberus/Freedom Group, the same as Marlin's did after they were also acquired by the same outfit. It's too bad to see two great old gun companies turning out guns that fail to maintain their respective company's reputation, but regrettably that is the case.
Nothing has changed at Remington the quality is fine. Marlin is owned by Remington and not Cerberus/Freedom Group. Marlin quality fell off beacuse most of the old employees wouldn't move.
CZ 550's are right up there, but with any make individual rifles from any decent make may or may not outperform another from another maker on any given day depending on hos good THAT rifles barrel came out on that particualr day.
It would be a Sako 85 but you can't buy it for under $750.

I have heard good things about the Sako A7's and Tikka's but have not shot any myself.

Dink
ah..... the 30-06 is my favorite round and I have had lots of them... smile I have had good luck with multiple manufactures (winchester, remmington, Sako, Tikka, Springfield Armoury, etc....) but the one that shot the best ot of the box was the Tikka T3 Lite... scary how accurate that gun is.... with my handloads, easy 1/2 inch gun or less and the only gun I own that I expect to have only 1 enlarged hole for 5 rounds at 100 yards.
A7 wouldn't be a bad choice.

I'd say generally speaking, your odds of getting a great shooter would probably be best with a Savage, Tikka or Howa/Vanguard, but individual rifles vary, and most of the manufacturers have produced some very accurate rifles.

My SC built Model 70 EW is absolutely ridiculously accurate. It will shot different bullets (TSX, Sierra, Hornady) into the same group and still remain under an inch. They only time I have had it shoot larger groups than that was when I "broke" it in which consisted of shooting and cleaning after about 30 rounds.

Believe it or not............. grin

Not under $750.00 though. frown

I once believed that.

Till....

My middle son bought one of the new Winchester Mod 70s, It was a tack driver out of the box..

No work at all�.
Nothing has changed at Remington the quality is fine. Marlin is owned by Remington and not Cerberus/Freedom Group. Marlin quality fell off beacuse most of the old employees wouldn't move.

Whatever the reason it is a shame about Marlin...

I do hope they work out the problems. I Hate to hear what�s happened.

It is very sad� I would not have expected out of Remington but it seems they have caused it
There was a time when your best chance of getting a really good shooter was to buy a 700. But that time has passed. Today, most of the rifles on the market are accurate. Sakos, Tikkas, & Vanguards are guaranteed to be so. Savage, the Model 70, A-bolt or X-bolt; they all shoot cloverleafs. Hell, my BLR .358 holds a 1 inch group at 100 with a good load.
Jim
Across the board fooling w/ rifles {mine, and lots of other folks} for 30+ years, I would have to say the SAKO 75/85 series rifles are the most accurate Ive fired straight out of the factory box.

Gunner

edit: spelling
Originally Posted by safariman
CZ 550's are right up there, but with any make individual rifles from any decent make may or may not outperform another from another maker on any given day depending on hos good THAT rifles barrel came out on that particualr day.

I agree. The CZ 550 American is one heck of a rifle.
But not very accurate.
I've owned at least one of every gun mentioned so far. Browning X-Bolt gets my vote followed by Tikka in a close second. My T3's have outshot the 85's I've owned. Browning button rifled barrels are hard to beat IMO.
But not very accurate.

And you have owned and fired HOW mnay of these? They generally shoot extremly well.
most trouble free one i have ever had is the savage i bought this week. factory ammo and cheapo package scope, shot 5 under an inch first 100 yard group i shot.

can't ask for more than that, ever.
Add me to the Tikka, Savage, Vanguard,and X-bolt supporters. Most of these that I have seen at the range or shot personaly have been very accurate with the right ammo.

Unfortunately the most recent Remingtons have started to fall from their previous accuracy capabilities.

You might be able to find, new/but old stock, of Ruger M77 MKII's
in that range. My 7x57 MKII is by far the most accurate factory rifle I have owned.
Originally Posted by avagadro
You don't want 30-06 ... it is an inherently inaccurate cartridge .... stay away, if you want an accurate rifle!!

Interesting. I am an inherently inaccurate shooter.....no wonder I get along so well with the '06. We compliment each other! laugh
+1 on the X Bolt!
Tikka, no contest.......take that Swampman.
My Browning BBR 30-06 was very accurate out of the box, in 1986. It still is, so its getting a new McM stock.
So it doesnt count if my Model 70 has an H-S precision stock on it? Ill still say Winchester after the kind of groups Ive been getting as of late.
The new FN winchesters sure shoot...
I just got finished tweeking a new Rem 700 LSS in 30/06. After bedding, freefloat, trigger adjust, and a new 4x16, I worked up a load in short order with Nosler 165g BT that put bullets in the same ragged hole@100 yards.
I've gotta have one of those new featherweights.....
If you can find a new SC winchester model 70 for under $750.00 you could almost guarantee it to be a shooter. You're asking for the most accurate for under that price, that's a different story. I hate to admit it but the savage bolt guns are extremely accurate and can be had for quite a bit less than that price. Every savage I've ever shot has been extremely accurate and that even goes for the cheap azz edge and stevens 200. You guys know I'm not a savage guy, but I have to give credit where it is due. Want examples, well lets just say last saturday I was shooting against some local guys and 2 of them using savage heavy barrel tactical/varmiters handed my ass to me. I shot 2 scores of 100-7x but it wasn't good enough. Actually one guy was using a stevens 200 and was shooting a 5/8" 10 shot group mad whistle. Put all those in the X-ring and you basically have one big hole, that's savage for you......
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
+1 on the X Bolt!

Laffin'
tikka
[Linked Image]

A first generation A7 could easily fit the bill using off the shelf factory ammo.
A more realistic question would be: Which factory .30-06's DON'T shoot accurately? That might be a lot easier to answer.

I must have owned two dozen .30-06's in my life, and shot a bunch more. Right now I'm testing a new Ruger 1A for a magazine article. Right out of the box it has a crisp 3-1/2 pound trigger, and when I took it to the range with several factory loads it settled down pretty quickly and shot more than one well under an inch. The best load was the Federal Premium with the 150-grain Ballistic Tip. The last 3-shot group was under 1/2", and none were over 1".

But I don't buy that older rifles weren't accurate. Another really accurate '06 was a 1959 Model 70 Winchester. All I did to it was mount a scope and make sure all the stock screws were tight (including the forend screw) and it started shooting under an inch with a couple of factory loads. Several of the groups had all three shots touching or nearly so.
Killed a bear with it and then traded it off for a better rifle.

What did you trade for? Inquiring minds.... wink
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A more realistic question would be: Which factory .30-06's DON'T shoot accurately? That might be a lot easier to answer.

Was thinking the same thing JB, especially after our conversation the other day...you can take virtually any name brand bolt action rifle off the rack and it will shoot into an inch with very little load selection. As nmuch whining as goes on, these ARE the good old days for rifle/ammo/components manufacture...
Originally Posted by GeoW
Killed a bear with it and then traded it off for a better rifle.

What did you trade for? Inquiring minds.... wink

This one!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even though my synthetic ADL had a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX-III mounted in Leupould QR bases and rings, and I had to kick in $250 cash I still think I got the better rifle! grin
You got a nice one for sure..
Originally Posted by keith
I just got finished tweeking a new Rem 700 LSS in 30/06. After bedding, freefloat, trigger adjust, and a new 4x16, I worked up a load in short order with Nosler 165g BT that put bullets in the same ragged hole@100 yards.

"factory out of the box accuracy?" Most rifles will eventually shoot if you put some work into them, but that was not the question. And it had to cost less than $750.oo.
Your question was "Most accurate 30-06 factory rifle?"

Older rifles rarely shoot MOA or better. In fact very few rifles shot MOA or better until CNC machines became common.

How can you beat an "old" original 03-A3...

Minute of gopher all day long...

[Linked Image]
Your right! Been shooting my 03A3 at the local military rifle match. Been giving the AR boys a run for there money. 500 yard gong I been using some 1960's lake city ammo. Put the sight on 500 yards and I'm right there.Lot's of fun,but a sore sholder the next day.
Don't know about most accurate, but this is from a stock Remington M760. Three shots at 100. This isn't the first time either.

[Linked Image]
The most accurate 06 i have owned is the one i have now. Browning SS Stalker LH A Bolt with the Boss, it had never shot a load over a inch, with most loads clover leafing at 100 yards
My model 70 is neither old nor new, Pa bought it back in 77ish, but it sure shoots.

Attached picture 57grs H4350, 180HOR @200yds from 06.jpg
Attached picture 2011-07-13-85229.jpg

Description: 168AMAX @300yds
Attached picture 168AMAX,50grs RE15,@300yds.jpg

My Swamp brother...lemme try to connect the dots for you. Cerberus owns Freedom Group. Freedom Group owns Remmie, and others as well. Remmie owns Marlin. If A = B, and B = C, then A = C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus_Capital_Management

"Firearms - Acquired Bushmaster Firearms, Inc., from Windham, Maine native Dick Dyke for an undisclosed sum in April 2006, and purchased Remington Arms in April 2007. Under Cerberus direction, Bushmaster Firearms acquired Cobb Manufacturing, a well-respected manufacturer of large-caliber tactical rifles in August 2007. Cerberus also acquired DPMS Panther Arms December 14, 2007.[28][29] Remington Arms acquired Marlin Firearms in January 2008. [30][31] In October 2009, Remington Military products acquired silencer manufacturer Advanced Armament Corporation.[32] These companies were combined into the Freedom Group."

And yes, there have been reports of QC issues at Remington since Cerberus/Freedom Group acquired them. I'm as sorry to hear that as you are, but it is what it is.
Quite simply, Swampy doesn't get anything it....
I'm a huge Rem 700 fan, have 4 of them. New and old. I actually have one from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 00's. The only one that has given me trouble is the new one. They are all fairly accurate. One, a .35 Whelen will group under an inch all day, two are 1.25" guns on a very consistent basis. The other is accurate, but mechanically is very frustrating so it hasn't been shot much or even hunted.

My best shooters are my two A-Bolts, and my sister's Tikka T3 is a darn good shooter too, much better than my 700s. It pains me to say it because I was brought up worshiping the 700. I still love the older 700s, especially the 60's and 70's ADLs, but the A-Bolts and Tikka's I've shot have out done them.

Savage , Tikka.

Remington use to be there. According to some of my recent acquisitions they are sucking hind tit...... except the senderos that is.
probaby doesnt count cause i dont think i have ever bought a NIB 30-06 so i dont know if any were tweaked or not, but out of the dozen or so i have owned the two that stand out were a voere titan II for $600 and a tikka (ithica lsa 65) for $400.. both could cutholes or clover leaf.. as a sidenote, my buddy has a titan II with the manlicher stock that would do the same w/ factory 130 silvertips
Like I said Remington, owns Marlin.

There have been no quality issues with Remington. That's a myth perpetuated by dealers selling off brands.
There have been no quality issues with Remington. That's a myth perpetuated by dealers selling off brands.

Not in my experience at all. Older Remingtons use to set the bar for accuracy, not anymore.

No, bro Swampy, what you said was this, lest you forget: "Marlin is owned by Remington and not Cerberus/Freedom Group." And that is wrong. Cerberus/Freedom Group OWNS Remington, and Remington OWNS Marlin, therefore Cerberus/Freedom Group OWNS Marlin because Cerberus/Freedom Group OWNS Remington, who OWNS Marlin.

And yes, there HAVE been QC issues at Remington. This IS NOT a myth perpetuated by dealers selling off brands. It is a FACT being reported by people buying new Remingtons. People like Petro and Fotis, who posted just before you did. Remington has made great rifles...in the past. I know, because I have some of them. But right now, they are having problems. Just like Marlin is. And I own a bunch of those, too.

We can admit that our favorite gunmakers are having some hard times right now without being disloyal to them. It's now their fault, Swampy. It's the people who own them. But sticking your head in the sand and pretending it isn't doesn't help Remington but does hurt your credibility. The truth shall set you free, brother.
My Remington 700 LSS Mountain Rifle 30-06 cost $750.00 shipped to my FFL. Took it right out of the laminated stock and dropped it right into a New Ti take-off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Scary accurate even with blue box Federal 180gr.

Ken
Originally Posted by firearms44
My Remington 700 LSS 30-06 cost $750.00 shipped to my FFL. Took it right out of the laminated stock and dropped it right into a New Ti take-off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ken

Nice rifle. Is that a 2.5-8x36????
OOTBA goes to Sako and Tikka. Not saying others aren't accurate, just that sako and tikka are more consistent out of the box.
Originally Posted by DELGUE
what you said was this, lest you forget: "Marlin is owned by Remington and not Cerberus/Freedom Group."

Correct, Remington owns Marlin. Cerberus/Freedom owns Remington, and Remington (not Cerberus/Freedom) owns Marlin.

Current Remington production is more accurate than ever.
BSA - It's a VX-III 3.5-10x40 in a set of low Talleys.

Ken
Thanks ken, those 3.5-10's are nice scopes. Still trying to decide which one I want though.......
what you said was this, lest you forget: "Marlin is owned by Remington and not Cerberus/Freedom Group."

Correct, Remington owns Marlin. Cerberus/Freedom owns Remington, and Remington (not Cerberus/Freedom) owns Marlin.

Lol. Okay, Swampy, it's your fantasy...keep talkin'.
Once again, I state the facts. What others do with them makes no difference to me.

Head in the sand approach...ignore it and it might go away.

I have a quality issue with one of mine, so how can you say there have been no issues? Ignorance is bliss I guess.
Once again, I state the facts. What others do with them makes no difference to me.

How about doning something really different (for you) and producing a smidgen of DATA to back up your supposed "facts"?
My Remington 700 LSS Mountain Rifle 30-06 cost $750.00 shipped to my FFL. Took it right out of the laminated stock and dropped it right into a New Ti take-off.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ken

Ken, I have the exact same rifle but this action is going into an Edge I have on order. If it shoots like yours I will be ecstatic.

No. You state your beliefs, and you state your wishes.

Facts...facts are something you have no familiarity with.

In fact, it's a fact that you avoid facts at all costs.
Oldelkhunter,

Friday I looked at the McMillan web site and found this listed under the special page :

#2749 Remington Mountain Rifle
34% Red / 33% Black / 33% Gray Marble RH L700 Rem BDL F/P FAC REM MTN RIFLE B/C 1" DECEL PAD 13.5 LOP $488.00

The lady put me on hold and when she came back she told me it was already sold. I missed it. DARN ! No Wait if it was in stock.

Ken

No. You state your beliefs, and you state your wishes.

Facts...facts are something you have no familiarity with.

In fact, it's a fact that you avoid facts at all costs.

+1

That's about as clear a Swampy explanation as I've heard.

DF
Swampy has his opinion and that is fine............but...........he fails to realize that some members here have had good luck with other brands as far as accuracy goes. You can't fault a guy if he has had nothing but Ruger 77's and all have turned out good accuracy.........why look elsewhere.

Swampy's fixation with 700's must be erotic to him !!!
Oldelkhunter,

Friday I looked at the McMillan web site and found this listed under the special page :

#2749 Remington Mountain Rifle
34% Red / 33% Black / 33% Gray Marble RH L700 Rem BDL F/P FAC REM MTN RIFLE B/C 1" DECEL PAD 13.5 LOP $488.00

The lady put me on hold and when she came back she told me it was already sold. I missed it. DARN ! No Wait if it was in stock.

Ken

I ordered mine in April, should be getting here soon. I am getting the Mtn rifle Edge with 1" decel pad set at 13 5/8" LOP.

Typical Remington fan club BS. You must not have looked at many Remington 700 made in the last few years to state that. I've looked at several including bore scoping them. Typical late model 700's issues include bad bores with chatter marks, chambers that look like they were cut with a chisel, bolt timing off, bad crowns & bedding etc etc.

10-15 years ago Remington 700's were a gun most anyone would be proud to own. I wouldn't use a new one for a canoe paddle.

My opinion is the facts. Your opinion is an opinion. The off brands are just that....off brands. Do your research on who bought Marlin. It's easy to find.

The most accurate production boltaction rifle in the world is the Remington Model 700. It follows that if you bought one in .30-06 then you'd have the "most accurate .30-06 factory rifle.".....in the world.

You morons keep comparing apples to oranges. The SPS/ADL isn't as pretty as a BDL or CDL, but it shoots just as good. There are no quality issues.
Swampy you are full of poop. I have owned them all and 98% of all Remingtons will not shoot with a Sako. I own 6 or 8 Remingtons right now and only one can shoot under .5 (3 shots) and its a varmint in 223.

If you own more than a few 700's you have run into the ones that won't shoot less than two inches at 100. To say all yours shoot .5 with factory ammo is nothing more than a out right lie.

Dink

In order to be able to state this as a "fact" you would have to have conducted a peer-reviewed scientific statistical analysis of likely hundreds of M700's produced "today" versus a similar number produced "then". If you have these data, let's see them. (And then you might have a little credibility.)

Quoting advertising slogans as "facts" doesn't do much for your credibility.
My opinion is the facts. Your opinion is an opinion.

Now that is a very telling statement! grin
It sure is....
It ain't the rifle.

Dream on...
Swampy may not shoot worth a [bleep], but he's the best fisherman on this board.
My opinion is the facts. Your opinion is an opinion. The off brands are just that....off brands. Do your research on who bought Marlin. It's easy to find.

The most accurate production boltaction rifle in the world is the Remington Model 700. It follows that if you bought one in .30-06 then you'd have the "most accurate .30-06 factory rifle.".....in the world.

You morons keep comparing apples to oranges. The SPS/ADL isn't as pretty as a BDL or CDL, but it shoots just as good. There are no quality issues.

Swampy, I try to be patient with you. I cut you more slack than a lot of these guys do. I understand that you like 700's. I can dig it. And nobody is saying that all 700's are bad.
I already told you, I own multiple Remington firearms, so I'm hardly a Remington hater.

But you're talking out your azz now. NO, your opinion is NOT the facts. You get into your pants one leg at a time, just like I do, ace. When you're right, I'm delighted to agree with you, and happy to see you contributing in a positive manner. But what you're saying now is rank ripe bullschitt, plain and simple. You're wrong about Cerberus/Remington/Marlin, and you're wrong about the QC issues. You're just flatazz wrong, pal.

And those 'off brands'??? They aren't 'off brands', ace. They are just as popular and viable as Remington. And they are kicking Remington's ass on the ranges. And that's another FACT!
I'm not wrong about the QC issues. I'm not wrong about who owns Marlin. The rest are 'off brands'. They aren't nearly as as popular and viable as Remington, and they aren't kicking Remington's ass on the ranges.

Just the facts ma'am, just the facts.
Like I said, you're just flatazz wrong on both counts. Denial doesn't change the truth.
Nor do your opinions. What you do with the truth is up to you, I don't care.
Swampy, you have made it abundantly clear that you truly don't care about the truth.

At this point, you've become irrelevant.
At least Swampy is consistant. Out of the box with nothing done other than scope and fire, Tikka for the $750.00 mentioned. Sako A7 is another one. Steyr ProHunter but now over that amount for the most part. Bought the wife a Model 7 in 7-08, it will shoot, but only with very selective loads. Son's Tikka will shoot about anything at MOA or better. I'm sure some 700's are great but if I were a betting man I would get a Tikka. Too bad Swampy doesn't want to go to the range. Perhaps a distributer or second party would sponsor A NIB Tikka and a NIB Remington 700 best group with off the shelve ammo wins. I know which one I would bet on.
Tikka, SAko A 7, CZ or Savage, Weatherby

I have Remingtons, Savages,CZ's, Winchester, Browning, Marlins, Weatherby

Tikka would be my first choice
General advice is "don't feed a troll". I've been as guilty as any, feeding this Poopsayer way too much. I guess it's an instinct to help the helpless, escort little old ladies across the street, etc.

Altruistic thoughts and gestures are wasted here. The more I see, the more I realize he's just fishing, has no idea what he's talking about. He just throws out glittering generalities and platitudes, sits back waiting for someone to cross his bridge or take his bait.

Aggrivating for serious Fire participants, cheap entertainment for a troll, which is a low form of social retardation.

DF

Dirtfarmer,

I understand and, regrettably, have to agree.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
General advice is "don't feed a troll". I've been as guilty as any, feeding this Poopsayer way too much. I guess it's an instinct to help the helpless, escort little old ladies across the street, etc.

Altruistic thoughts and gestures are wasted here. The more I see, the more I realize he's just fishing, has no idea what he's talking about. He just throws out glittering generalities and platitudes, sits back waiting for someone to cross his bridge or take his bait.

Aggrivating for serious Fire participants, cheap entertainment for a troll, which is a low form of social retardation.

DF

Swampy is very very narrow minded!!!

Well said !!!
An accurate 30-06? It's been over 50 years since the 30-06 was a serious target rifle.Makes a great hunting rifle,I have only three now,and my two sons' have three.The sorriest excuse for a hunting rifle a Browning A-Bolt II was by foar the most accurrate.
My 700 30-06 CDL did pretty good out of the box. I get some good groups, but I'm betting in the hands of a good shooter it came out of the box 1" or a little under.
This [bleep] is funny.
Originally Posted by Cercocarpus
This [bleep] is funny.

For a limited run it is. Baiting on both sides, fish pulling each other and seems to drift into every thread. Could say more, but in a word - deterioration.
SwampTroll:

Can you explain why Weatherby, Sako and others GUARANTEE their rifles accuracy, and the company you work for in the PR DEPARTMENT to do damage control have an ...."accuracy spec" of 200-300% of others Guarantee?

Ghostman, you could not GIVE me a Rem mfg. in the mid-late 90s.....Greens problem is not just recent. I went thru a truckload of 700 junk in those days....a fact.

JB - your experience with Rugers accuracy in the #1 mirrors mine with several I have worked with over the years. Out the box RUGER #1s outshooting 700s that were also....new out the box.

There are those who believe bolts are always more accurate....as some who believe the 700 is the end all and most accurate....or at least spew that advertising for Green....for Big Green.

Then there are those who know how to shoot, and actually SHOOT...not just type, and then report the facts.

The off brands have to do something to sell rifles. Everyone that actually shoots knows that the 700 is the most accurate production rifle in the world.

Ruger are among the least accurate longguns available and always have been. Thanks for your opinions...laffin.
Under $750.00? you could make a good argument for a Remington 700 but My money says a Browning X-Bolt on average would out shoot most any rifle in this price range, also Tikkas plastic T3 is said to be a shooter and not long ago you could get a Sako A7 for that, at the $750.00 price point it really knock a bunch of good rifles out of the mix, if money were no object I'd like to try one of Nosler's model 48 rifles, I would say you would have a real shooter on your hands there. Good luck................Hillbilly.
My Rem 700 .30-06 was NIB and is easily the least accurate factory bolt rifle in my safe. A friend's M700 SPS in .30-06 was also NIB and would tie for that distinction. My Marlin leverguns shoot as well, some better, and my Ruger #1 in .280 Rem shoots much better.

The inexpensive Savage .30-06 I bought for my son-in-law as a wedding present shoots much smaller groups than the M700 .30-06. That really wasn't a surprise as, until the barrel went south somewhere past 4500 rounds, the Savage 110E in .22-250 I had would shoot 5-shot groups you could cover with a dime.

Yesterday I was at the range shooting at 600 yards. I was ringing the 600 yard steel pretty much at will with my Ruger #1 in .280 Rem, Ruger MKII .338 Win Mag and Interarms Mark X action with a Krieger 6.5-06AI barrel. Couldn�t hit the thing at all with my Remington M700 in .30-06, though not for lack of trying.

Two young guys were there shooting a Sendero in .300 Win Mag. Neither of these guys could hit the 600 yard steel with the Sendero. They never got a chance to shoot at the clays at 600 as I took both of them out with the Krieger barreled �off brand� rifle action.

Just before elk season last year I had my Ruger MKIIs in .300 WM and .30-06 at the range for a final scope check and took out a clay at 600 with each, 5 shots total with a 3-2 split. 15 shots yesterday and I couldn�t hit the 12� square steel at with my M700 .30-06, although I danced all around it. (I did get a first-round hit on the steel at 500 with the Remington, somewhat to my surprise.)

Last week I saw guy shooting paper at 600 with a heavy barrel Savage in .308 Win. He was shooting tiny groups that were WAY better than the guys were doing yesterday with the Sendero. Kind of like comparing an apple to a beach ball in terms of size.

Dream on, swampgas, and make all the baseless claims you want. If I had to bet my life on choosing an accurate out of the box rifle, a new Remington wouldn�t even get a look.
The world is flat, the world is flat, the world is flat. That is a fact. My opinion is fact. Your opinion is opinion. If you don't believe that the world is flat you are a moron, because the world is flat, that is a fact. That is my opinion and my opinion is fact.

The world is flat, everyone who has flown around the world, knows that the world is flat. I only state facts. All you other morons just have opinions.

If you don't believe that the world is flat, I don't care.

(But I will continue to spout this fact ad nauseum)

(And BTW, I have no data to back up my facts, but they are facts and you are morons)
Accuracy per buck, performance on the cheap, it's hard to beat a Savage, asthetics notwithstanding. I wrote earlier that a hunting buddy bought a used .223 Stevens 200 for $225, and a Cabelas scope on a special promotional for $60. I mounted it with Chinese Weaver rings ($10). With 60 gr Partitions and 2015 powder (Lyman accuracy load) that thing shot 1 1/2" group at 200 yds. That's the most performance per buck I've seen, playing with rifles over many years. Now, it's not very pretty, but as Forest Gump said, "Pretty is as pretty does". I guess Savage could become an acquired taste.

DF
Originally Posted by southtexas
The world is flat, the world is flat, the world is flat. That is a fact. My opinion is fact. Your opinion is opinion. If you don't believe that the world is flat you are a moron, because the world is flat, that is a fact. That is my opinion and my opinion is fact.

The world is flat, everyone who has flown around the world, knows that the world is flat. I only state facts. All you other morons just have opinions.

If you don't believe that the world is flat, I don't care.

(But I will continue to spout this fact ad nauseum)

(And BTW, I have no data to back up my facts, but they are facts and you are morons)

Right.

And here are the facts. My yard is flat, my neighbor's yard is flat. All the yards in my neighborhood are flat. All the yards in town, in the state, in the country, even in all the world, are flat. The world is just an accumulation of yards, so the world is flat...

Just facts, nothing but the facts...

Everybody except me is an idiot, because I've got a lock on facts...

Someone with such a talent for misrepresenting truth with facts ought to be in politics...

Oh, I failed to mention statistics...

DF
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My Rem 700 .30-06 was NIB and is easily the least accurate factory bolt rifle in my safe. A friend's M700 SPS in .30-06 was also NIB and would tie for that distinction. My Marlin leverguns shoot as well, some better, and my Ruger #1 in .280 Rem shoots much better.

The inexpensive Savage .30-06 I bought for my son-in-law as a wedding present shoots much smaller groups than the M700 .30-06. That really wasn't a surprise as, until the barrel went south somewhere past 4500 rounds, the Savage 110E in .22-250 I had would shoot 5-shot groups you could cover with a dime.

Yesterday I was at the range shooting at 600 yards. I was ringing the 600 yard steel pretty much at will with my Ruger #1 in .280 Rem, Ruger MKII .338 Win Mag and Interarms Mark X action with a Krieger 6.5-06AI barrel. Couldn�t hit the thing at all with my Remington M700 in .30-06, though not for lack of trying.

Two young guys were there shooting a Sendero in .300 Win Mag. Neither of these guys could hit the 600 yard steel with the Sendero. They never got a chance to shoot at the clays at 600 as I took both of them out with the Krieger barreled �off brand� rifle action.

Just before elk season last year I had my Ruger MKIIs in .300 WM and .30-06 at the range for a final scope check and took out a clay at 600 with each, 5 shots total with a 3-2 split. 15 shots yesterday and I couldn�t hit the 12� square steel at with my M700 .30-06, although I danced all around it. (I did get a first-round hit on the steel at 500 with the Remington, somewhat to my surprise.)

Last week I saw guy shooting paper at 600 with a heavy barrel Savage in .308 Win. He was shooting tiny groups that were WAY better than the guys were doing yesterday with the Sendero. Kind of like comparing an apple to a beach ball in terms of size.

Dream on, swampgas, and make all the baseless claims you want. If I had to bet my life on choosing an accurate out of the box rifle, a new Remington wouldn�t even get a look.

+1 CH. I don't own a savage rifle for a couple of different reasons I won't go into right now but have much respect for them. My friend owns savages in different calibers and a stevens 200 in 22-250. The 22-250 is a tack driver but the trigger sucks!!!! He leaves it that way though since he's not really a great shooter anyway frown. When we were breaking in the barrel I helped him get his scope dialed in (had him walk the bullets to the center of the bull), after he did this I fired a 1/2" group and said "yep it's a shooter" (In my mind I was thinking, great another good shooting damn savage cry mad). I had my friend shoot a group and it shot somewhere around 2 1/2 inches????? About the same time another friend was passing by the gravel pit we were shooting at (coincidentally he was passing by and saw us, thank god), he stopped and got out and I asked him to shoot a group with my friends new rifle. His group was .651" (had to dig out the target and look grin) and he also complained about the crappy trigger. If I hadn't have been there and my other friend wouldn't have stopped I know my friend would have thought his rifle didn't shoot for chit. As it is he wasn't happy with the cheap remington corelocts (45 gr. hp) since "they wern't that accurate" in his words, he now buys the more expensive hornady polymer tipped ammo that is twice as expensive. Go figure I guess....... I'd love to post a pic of the target, one of his groups is right at 7 inches for 3 shots eek.

I'll second that, I can't get my .30-06 Sauer 202 to group 5 shots under .5 MOA whistle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Andre,

You ought to get rid of that thing, you deserve better.

I'll take it off your hands, of course for a fire sale price...!

I'd be happy to give more for one that grouped...!

RKR
The off brands have to do something to sell rifles. Everyone that actually shoots knows that the 700 is the most accurate production rifle in the world.

Ruger are among the least accurate longguns available and always have been. Thanks for your opinions...laffin.

Pure bull......nice to see you still have diarrhea of the mouth!!!
Accurate or not it sure is unattractive.
As opposed to that drain pipe action on your beloved 700.

Laffin.

You wouldn't know a good rifle if it sat on you and farted.
I don't have any "good" rifles. All mine are perfect rifles.
I have a 30-06 Vanguard Sub-MOA that shoots half in groups. It's factory target was one ragged hole. I picked it up unfired on an auction for a great price. The only change I did was swapped the trigger for a Timney.

I also have an a-bolt II that shoots almost as well but it's been bedded by me in a bell and carlson medalist stock.

They both shoot as accurate as my customs and coopers.
Troll700

Fact is:

Rem cannot guarantee accuracy b/c their products will NOT consistently deliver groups as tight as the brands that DO GUARANTEE accuracy. IF they did, then REM could, should, and WOULD Guarantee, but that's not how it is....too many Quality Control issues.

FACT IS the Vanguard's have an accuracy guarantee, and I will GUARANTEE you won't have a bolt handle fall off like your beloved 700s, b/c they are one piece w/bolt.

You spew BS, and that is the only fact about you.

BTW, ask the board of directors where you work, since most things in wmart are mfg. in China, just when will China start production for Rem.

No doubt I as many others have owned accurate Rem's as well as many other brands as I don't go around wearing blinders and have no vested interest in ANY brand. Yet for a serious rifle, I will not trust a Rem, as besides all the QC Issues they have given me in the past, accuracy is only good, when the rifle can go bang, and cycle. Should your bolt handle fall off as mine did, your accuracy is DOA and you are SOL.

dlharsh - I will do as you spend my money on a Vanguard w/o hesitation, as they are made very well from design to quality control and their is NO excuse why a USA mfg. cannot do the same, other than seedy CEO's that have no interest beyond profits. One piece bolt handle, good bbl, smooth strong action w/reliable durable sako type extractor, AND an accuracy guarantee. What is not to like?

I never had a Vanguard or Howa that had any issues in QC, finishing, accuracy, or reliability. That cannot be said for some other brands, but percentage wise, Rugers have fared better IME all things considered inc. accuracy, than Rem or Winch.

Vanguards, Sakos, Savages Tikkas.
I will put any of them up against a late model 700.

Originally Posted by Andre

I'll second that, I can't get my .30-06 Sauer 202 to group 5 shots under .5 MOA whistle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice andre (as usual)...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Andre

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice andre (as usual)...

Only if I could hold my rifle steady enough...............maybe I could aspire to Andre's great feats!!!! Great groups there!!!

That is a nice rifle and great shooting by the owner.

Regret passing on not getting one long ago in 6.5x55 or at least 270....yes Bob I said it wink

Very smooth actions and triggers break like an icicle. And as typical of most every Euro with good operator and ammo, they shoot so well they embarass alot of USA made rifles.

At least you don't have to hassle w/a lot of tuning or aftermarket parts. They do well as they leave the factory....which afterall is what we Should get and expect to receive when we open our wallets right? No matter the brand.

Oh-Troll, as to looks....I think the ADL-Syn is one Butt Ugly rifle, if one wants to talk about looks. The finish does well at rusting and promoting it just to enhance the looks.
...... Everyone that actually shoots knows that the 700 is the most accurate production rifle in the world.

I'm not sure that was ever true....and certainly doubt it today.

If you beleive it, that might be all you ever shot,or at least your experience is pretty narrow.

You're joking right?

Classless.

I don't have any "good" rifles. All mine are perfect rifles.

Compared to what?
If I were buying another 30-06 it would likely be a Savage 110 with Accu-Trigger.Unless of course I found another JC Higgins Model 50

Swampy,The same can be said about a lot of stuff you have showed us pictures of.
[Linked Image]

That is one ugly rifle!
Rem 742. see post above. well i guess its the post below now. or maybe above. anyway. rem 742.
My SC made M70 Featherweight shoots awesome. No problem shooting groups averaging 1 inch of a bit less using a Leupold fixed 4x. Never used a higher power scope, but methinks that my rig will kill stuff the way it is.
Originally Posted by SilvertipCO
Rem 742. see post above. well i guess its the post below now. or maybe above. anyway. rem 742.

Are you serious? I hope you are right because I just bought one and have yet to fire it, but I doubt that you are.
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
+1 on the X Bolt!

Laffin'

How many have you shot!!!
I want one of those 700's you have to bed, float, adjust and tweak to get a group that won't get you laughed off the rifle range...
Sad really, I want to buy American but I have to draw the line somewhere...
A-Bolt with BOSS.
The most accurate rifle that I've owned out of the box is a Ruger M77 MKII. I must just be a lucky guy.
How much better did it agg than your BOSS equipped A-Bolt? Thanks for those details.
I have had many, many rifles and the most accurate right out of the box in 30-06 has been the TC Venture. big surprise to me, but that gun just loved 180 gr hornady's. and those bolts are silky smooth, great gun for the money !
Originally Posted by Gary O
Most accurate 30-06 factory rifle bolt gun out of the box under $750?
factory rifle accuracy is a matter of luck.
The most accurate 30-06 I've ever owned was a Remington 721. Sub MOA was not difficult with that rifle using modern ammo components.
dan
Well considering I am a die hard 700 Remington fan, my money would be on the Tikka and over $750 the Sako...Russ
© 24hourcampfire